Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking from an angle of the menus, the quests, the crafting, the materials, etc. It just seems very, very intimidating.
There's already plenty of translations for the menus & quest/crafting/mats/hunts are all handled thru Pings MHXX Dex which has everything fully detailed.

So, I keep seeing new dungeon crawlers announced for vita and getting excited until I find they have yet another weird creepy sex mechanic for no reason.

Are there any good vita dungeon crawlers that *don't* also randomly have spanking or make you breed with your party members or lick them or...just...

I want to take turns stabbing things in a dungeon that shouldn't end up so weird.
I keep getting excited for vita games with weird sex mechanics only to find they have dungeon crawling gameplay for no reason.

Fire Emblem Warriors launches October 20 in North America, Special Edition announced

Fire-_Emblem-_Warriors-_NA_08-28-17.jpg

Senko no Ronde 2 Demo Available Now on the NA PlayStation Store

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Veteran Trainer’s Dual Pack releasing in North America

Amazon sent me an email saying my orders shipping is delayed for .hack g.u. remake.  Um its not even gonna be out till november so how the hell can my order be delayed already?

Sweet. I'll be keeping an eye out for the Special Edition on both Bestbuy and Amazon.
Looks like the pricing will be $79.99 (so $63.99 after GCU). Not bad at all, though it adds to the number of new releases I would like to get in September/October. Those two months are turning out to be downright brutal for my wallet.

Don't forget to get the VR Pass for DOAX3 while it's still free.

The instructions confused me a little bit at first. Start the game on your Asia-region account and from the menu there's a VR option ('VR Paradise', I think it's called?). You must select that, then a message box pops up about getting the VR pass from the store. Press Triangle (While the message box is still displayed!) to launch the Store and download it.

If you close the message box and then launch the store, the free pass will not be visible.
Thanks! Worked like a charm! I completely forgot about it too.

For some reason, it let me buy and install it, but when I try to launch it without PSVR, it still tells me I have to buy it and sends me back to the menu. So does that mean I have it, and all I need is PSVR to play it, or did I not successfully buy it? Like I can't start it up without PSVR attached?

There's also a Marie + Honoka free pass thing, but that one says it's unavailable?

Thanks! Worked like a charm! I completely forgot about it too.

For some reason, it let me buy and install it, but when I try to launch it without PSVR, it still tells me I have to buy it and sends me back to the menu. So does that mean I have it, and all I need is PSVR to play it, or did I not successfully buy it? Like I can't start it up without PSVR attached?

There's also a Marie + Honoka free pass thing, but that one says it's unavailable?
Did you relaunch the game after it installed in the background? I don't think it can pick up on it being installed without a relaunch since you actually download and install while the game is still running.

I didn't pay much attention to the messages when trying to launch it since I don't have a PSVR, but I think the only messages that popped up for me were about a PSVR not being connected.

I saw the same thing about passes on the store directly being unavailable and I'm not sure what it's about, but it's why I thought I'd share the step I finally figured out about pressing Triangle when the message box was up.

That seems to be the only way to access the free pass on the store, I think because they only want it to be free to people that own the full version of the game and not the free to play version.

I *think* the Marie + Honoka VR pass is a paid option if you own the free to play version (it might be 'available' if you have the free to play version 'purchased'). Basically you buy two characters and then they'll give you VR for free, is my impression.

Yakuza Kiwami now, and Ys 7 and Sonic Mania. I really need to keep a list. I thought GotY was on lock between Nioh and Yakuza 0 but this year is relentless in good games.

What is One Piece Unlimited World? Is it good?

So, I keep seeing new dungeon crawlers announced for vita and getting excited until I find they have yet another weird creepy sex mechanic for no reason.

Are there any good vita dungeon crawlers that *don't* also randomly have spanking or make you breed with your party members or lick them or...just...

I want to take turns stabbing things in a dungeon that shouldn't end up so weird.
No and why would you not want That?

If you want your RPGs slightly less degenerate you need to chase Falcom and Atlus. And absolutely nobody, NOBODY has come close to making first person grid RPGs even half as good as Atlus's EO so get a 3DS and dig in.

Weekly free PSN junk:

Rock of Ages II

PS4

- Binding of Isaac Pack

- Demo

Everybody's Golf

PS4

- Dynamic Custom Theme

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

PS4

- Demo

Vita

- Demo

Steam

- Demo

Knack 2

PS4

- Demo

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA

PS4

- Demo

Went ahead and threw in the Steam demo link for it as well. This is the last week for August's PS+ games, so grab them if you haven't. The next ones should be announced tomorrow I would think as per usual. Finally, this weeks $0.99 PS+ rental is Ghost in the Shell (2017). It's the final $0.99 rental as well.

EDIT: Added Knack 2.

EDIT 2: Added Ys VIII.

My copies of Yakuza Kiwami and Warriors All Stars showed up early yesterday which was pretty cool.

Currently playing through Kiwami, it's so good that I didn't start Warriors yet lol. I might try out Warriors later today to see how it is though.

My copies of Yakuza Kiwami and Warriors All Stars showed up early yesterday which was pretty cool.

Currently playing through Kiwami, it's so good that I didn't start Warriors yet lol. I might try out Warriors later today to see how it is though.
Yakuza is the reason I'm waiting on Warriors for now.

Gonna have nostalgia overload when I play Yakuza later.

Opposite for me. I picked up Kiwami, but waiting for Musou to arrive. :)

Don't forget all that I believe the Danganronpa 3 demo is stand alone and unlocks something in the main game, so it is worth playing.

Also on the talk of dungeon crawlers, i'm glad when the games don't include the gimmicky whatever sexy actions or something. They get old very fast. I don't want to appraise everything with breasts, or have to tap someone to get their party status up or something. Pretty much none of those are getting localized though and a few of them are bombing hard in Japan. I do love myself some dungeon crawlers, and hope Mary Skelter (which I believe does have some touching mini games...it's Compile Hearts) and Demon Gaze 2 are pretty awesome. Etrian Odyssey 5 is also a high want, but I'll wait till it's discounted.

I asked this in the vita forum and thought I would ask this here as well. I'm looking forward to Re:Legend, and I'm a huge Stardew Valley and Rune Factory fan. Any other games in the same vein besides the obvious HM/SoS?

Honestly, the newer Dragon Engine kinda sucks. The combat in 6 seems really dumbed down and all the combat possibilities we've seen in the previous games seem to have been reduced/removed. The facial animations during cutscenes seems off to me as well. Like when someone talks only their mouth moves, and their head stays still (kinda like a robot). Sure, everything looks a bit nicer with the new engine, but at what cost? This is probably the biggest complaint that I have while occasionally playing my import of Yakuza 6.

I asked this in the vita forum and thought I would ask this here as well. I'm looking forward to Re:Legend, and I'm a huge Stardew Valley and Rune Factory fan. Any other games in the same vein besides the obvious HM/SoS?
Doesn't Ever Oasis have aspects of a farming game in it? I haven't played it, but I recall hearing something like that.

Todays Haul:
Fpnrlkp.jpg

woNLeyA.jpg
I dunno where I'm supposed to make time for all these games  :whistle2:

Todays Haul:
Fpnrlkp.jpg
I dunno where I'm supposed to make time for all these games :whistle2:
Straight to...Gamestop? MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

And...that CE was GS exclusive right? Too bad. If it was Amazon you could have probably demanded a partial refund for that crushed corner. I knew a guy who'd do that even with the slightest crease on the box.

If you have a Switch for $10 they have a farming sim game called New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers. A simple town building game if you want it on your Switch.

Also if you have Steam then banished is good but it is a lot less forgiving. I would read tips and tricks before you play it.

If you're only looking at Vita, not much more I can think of.

Doesn't Ever Oasis have aspects of a farming game in it? I haven't played it, but I recall hearing something like that.
Yea, but it's pretty boring. I played about 10 hours of it while traveling and I haven't touched it since. Though I really should finish it.

It's a little more like Dark Cloud than Rune Factory though. As in, it's 95% dungeoning.

There's also Fantasy Life, also on 3DS (also dungeon based).

In short, Stardew Valley sort of came about to fill that niche. So you're not likely to find much else.

bread's done
Back