Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Draekon posted the free PSN junk earlier but left out the free PSN masterpiece!
I blame them for not listing it under the demo section. They didn't list the Vita demo for Danganronpa V3 there either, but I ended up searching because I found it odd that it wasn't listed. Wish they'd attach them to the games pages properly and not make new listings for demos that will likely get removed at some point.

My copies of Yakuza Kiwami and Warriors All Stars showed up early yesterday which was pretty cool.

Currently playing through Kiwami, it's so good that I didn't start Warriors yet lol. I might try out Warriors later today to see how it is though.
My copy of Yakuza Kiwami came in as well and it looks awesome. I have to cut back on my pre-ordering, though. In the last few months, I've pre-ordered:

Yakuza Kiwami

White Day: A Labrynth Named School

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Summon Nights 6: Lost Borders

Ys Origin - Chinese Release

Ys Origin Limited Edition - Limited Run Games

The Bunker

Ys: Lacrimosa of Dana Limited Edition

Asdivine Hearts

Night Trap: Collector's Edition

Plus about 5 random buys here and there.

Pretty sure my wife is putting poison in my coffee to off me, and then sell all of my games.

Yakuza Kiwami now, and Ys 7 and Sonic Mania. I really need to keep a list. I thought GotY was on lock between Nioh and Yakuza 0 but this year is relentless in good games.
Did you play Persona 5, or is the series not for you? Yakuza 0 and P5 my current GotY contenders. Sonic Mania is amazing as well, I love Studiopolis and have been time attacking Act 1

Don't forget all that I believe the Danganronpa 3 demo is stand alone and unlocks something in the main game, so it is worth playing.

Also on the talk of dungeon crawlers, i'm glad when the games don't include the gimmicky whatever sexy actions or something. They get old very fast. I don't want to appraise everything with breasts, or have to tap someone to get their party status up or something. Pretty much none of those are getting localized though and a few of them are bombing hard in Japan. I do love myself some dungeon crawlers, and hope Mary Skelter (which I believe does have some touching mini games...it's Compile Hearts) and Demon Gaze 2 are pretty awesome. Etrian Odyssey 5 is also a high want, but I'll wait till it's discounted.
I wasn't sure whether to play the demo because it started introducing me to the characters... but it was worth it because seeing Makoto and Hajime talking about being protagonists with the new girl Kaede was hilarious. A ton of things in the demo were actually pretty funny! I like the music a lot too, from the classic title screen to the roaming the halls music

I asked this in the vita forum and thought I would ask this here as well. I'm looking forward to Re:Legend, and I'm a huge Stardew Valley and Rune Factory fan. Any other games in the same vein besides the obvious HM/SoS?
Nothing can fill the void of Rune Factory - nothing! I'm replaying the series in order though - slowly - and have finished 1 and 2. Fortunately I never played Frontier or Tides of Destiny (Oceans), so those are two games in the series that will be brand new to me. I was starting up Frontier yesterday until I realized... it's Yakuza Kiwami time! Speaking of which, how's this for a farming game:

8ae154b3447701219343d453a6c16ace3205c4c3-682710.jpg

Even Kiryu has a green thumb, of all people

Rune Factory 4 was like the epitome of that genre for me (besides Stardew Valley).

I so hope we get another like a 5 or something on switch or 3DS.

I loved that game so much and want more.

I already have Ever Oasis, and Fantasy Life. And I'm open to any console, I do not yet have a switch though. And please God give us a Rune Factory 5.

Did you relaunch the game after it installed in the background? I don't think it can pick up on it being installed without a relaunch since you actually download and install while the game is still running.
Thanks, that worked! You're a genius!

Yeah, now I get the message saying I need PSVR connected too and to set it up. Good thing PSVR is on discount now too. And I think you're right, the store was set up that way to discourage people who don't have a copy of the game to download the pass for free. It shows up as purchased now, even after I look at it on the main store. So I guess I can uninstall it and redownload it anytime.

Did you play Persona 5, or is the series not for you? Yakuza 0 and P5 my current GotY contenders. Sonic Mania is amazing as well, I love Studiopolis and have been time attacking Act 1
P5 and Nier are at the top of my GotY list right now. Then Horizon, Hitman, and Injustice 2 all get honorable mentions. This is all the games I've actually played though, so it doesn't include Zelda, Yakuza, Nioh, etc.

Sonic Mania is good stuff.

I loved P5 but it's just not quite good enough overall to be a proper GotY. It is a bunch of decent parts that become something greater as the sum but the individual bits are still just weak enough I gotta rate it below the greats.

Some stiff competition this year though.

Aww man I looked up City Shrouded in Shadows because I didn't know what it was and now I want it. It has zero chance of being localized though doesn't it? :(
Bamco's been doing a lot of Asia-English versions of niche games, so I've got my fingers crossed that we'll at least get that. And after viewing the PSVR Shin Godzilla experience, I hope a VR mode is included.

Has anyone seen a standard edition copy of Yakuza Kiwami? I can't seem to find definitive proof that once exists. I remember this happening with Valkyria Chronicles, too--also Sega. And the regular ones just showed up at a couple of random stores eventually. I don't want the Steelbook version, so it's been kind of interesting trying to find a regular one that may or may not exist haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got the Kiwami steelbook today and placed an order for the FE:W SE. I just started 0 though a few days ago, so It will be a bit before I get to Kiwami. Loving 0 so far though =)

Omg yes, I finally platinumed IA/VT Colorful! Only took me more than a year. Imo the best rhythm game of all time, and top 10 on my favorite games list. 

Has anyone seen a standard edition copy of Yakuza Kiwami? I can't seem to find definitive proof that once exists. I remember this happening with Valkyria Chronicles, too--also Sega. And the regular ones just showed up at a couple of random stores eventually. I don't want the Steelbook version, so it's been kind of interesting trying to find a regular one that may or may not exist haha.

The ads for it I've seen have all said "Launch Edition" and "while supplies last", so I'm pretty sure it is just the first wave of copies that will have the steel. The next batch of them, assuming there is one, should be a plain case - similar to how they did Valkyria Chronicles. IIRC, the standard cases for VC started coming out fairly quickly.

Omg yes, I finally platinumed IA/VT Colorful! Only took me more than a year. Imo the best rhythm game of all time, and top 10 on my favorite games list.
Congrats! I made some pretty good progress on it, but I got stuck on Hard Step Up Mode #17. The randomized notes really threw me for a loop and I haven't gone back to it for a long, long time.

Congrats! I made some pretty good progress on it, but I got stuck on Hard Step Up Mode #17. The randomized notes really threw me for a loop and I haven't gone back to it for a long, long time.
Thanks! I have like mild dyslexia so some of those notes really mixed me up at times. Overall, it's not too difficult, but the Hard Step Up mode really cranked things up a notch. The one where you have to get an S rank on both songs just destroyed me. But it's a game that you slowly get better at the more you play, and you'll feel like a master of rhythm games once you get to the end.

I actually got a couple of tips for the last few Hard Step Up mode songs:

The randomized notes one actually becomes easier the more times you fail it. There will be less different notes, and more of the same ones. So don't restart the song immediately after you start dropping notes. Eventually, it'll become so much easier when everything is the same note color and direction. The second song though you'll need pure skill to do, but I think the same trick might work and might carry over from the 1st song.

For the hidden notes, just watch the video on Youtube while playing it, and try your best to coordinate it.

IA/VT is truly a gem on the Vita. I agree that's it's one of the best rhythm games. I'm so glad I pet-ordered it and got the extra cover with the dlc. If this game released in the states I'd buy it again just to show the support. Congrats on the Platinum!!

I was ready to platinum IA/VT then I saw the requirements. I'm still going to do that. But I'm on Macross Delta Scramble and the money grind sucks. 

IA/VT is truly a gem on the Vita. I agree that's it's one of the best rhythm games. I'm so glad I pet-ordered it and got the extra cover with the dlc. If this game released in the states I'd buy it again just to show the support. Congrats on the Platinum!!
Thanks! I got the reversible cover with the DLC too, but I actually got that and the CE used somewhere for around $90. I definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes rhythm games, especially while it's still relatively easy to import. It's actually my pick for best Vita game, even over P4G.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat if it ever comes over to the states, and I'll actually be able to buy the DLC, which I can't now since it's region locked. But the licensing issues must be a mess so I highly doubt it, and it's a pretty old game too. But then again, even Deemo was able to get localized, and IA does have a presence in the US, so it's not impossible.

IA/VT getting localized will take a miracle. Licensing will be a nightmare since everything is everywhere in terms of trying to get a contract. At least the people at Marvelous foresaw this and at least gave us translated menus for the most part. lol

IA/VT getting localized will take a miracle. Licensing will be a nightmare since everything is everywhere in terms of trying to get a contract. At least the people at Marvelous foresaw this and at least gave us translated menus for the most part. lol
I'm pretty sure they actually said at one point that licensing is why it probably won't ever happen.

IA is cool.

She's no Miku...or Gumi, but she's still cool.

There's a seperate listing on amazon for the standard edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-Kiwami-PlayStation-4-Standard/dp/B06Y5YYCQW/

I can confirm it's the non steelbook version because...

[attachment=27770:IMG_20170830_0026159_rewind.jpg]

I don't like steelbooks

IA/VT Colorful is easily my favorite vita game. Future Tone on PS4 obviously crushes it but as VITA games go it's excellent. 

I actually wish they'd do a deluxe version adding the 19 (I think that was the total number) of DLC songs the game had for the Switch that or a FT port would also be welcome. 

Grats. I love IA/VT. I still play it every now and then because the songs are just so good. The step-up mode was a real challenge, but it was a very rewarding platinum.

I have the CE, and it's one of my favorite packages. Hate to say it, but I've never played the DLC songs because swapping PSN accounts is such a pain in the ass on the Vita.

I should look up the DLC songs on Youtube to see what I'm missing.

Broke into Yakuza Kiwami just now, wandering around Kamurocho a bit after the first tutorial fight, and the first damn thing I happen to look at in detail is this.

tsukiji-gindaco-kyoto.jpg

I fuck ing love Tsukiji Gindaco's takoyaki, and the last one in Singapore closed like four years ago or something. I haven't been able to get any since.

STOP TAUNTING ME, JAPAN.

Grats. I love IA/VT. I still play it every now and then because the songs are just so good. The step-up mode was a real challenge, but it was a very rewarding platinum.

I have the CE, and it's one of my favorite packages. Hate to say it, but I've never played the DLC songs because swapping PSN accounts is such a pain in the ass on the Vita.

I should look up the DLC songs on Youtube to see what I'm missing.
yeah i am not that good with rhythm games but that one was easy to play just like curtain call, swapping accounts is a pain but what i did was just buy another vita and make that my alternate account so i wouldnt have to keep swapping, best move i have done and it also means a backup should one of the vitas fail in the future

Broke into Yakuza Kiwami just now, wandering around Kamurocho a bit after the first tutorial fight, and the first damn thing I happen to look at in detail is this.

tsukiji-gindaco-kyoto.jpg

I fuck ing love Tsukiji Gindaco's takoyaki, and the last one in Singapore closed like four years ago or something. I haven't been able to get any since.

STOP TAUNTING ME, JAPAN.
I had their takoyaki after I went shopping in Nakano Broadway the last time I was in Tokyo and it was really good.

Looking for advice on anybody who finished God Eater: Resurrection

I am playing the Vita version, about three hours in. I would like to finish the main story quickly before Danganronpa 3 comes out as I want to play that immediately, HLTB says main story is 15 hours, I would like to know if that 15 hours is achievable when I

(1) Only play solo

(2) I'm not a big MH fan (but a fan of GE anime so that's why I am playing the game), therefore I don't want to spend any time looking at guides for what side stories to grind for what material to craft what weapon...I'm planning to take on minimal side quests and play the main story "leisurely"

Insights and any advice (of OP weapons maybe?) appreciated, thanks!

September PS+ Games:

:ps4: InFamous: Second Son

:ps4: Strike Vector Ex

:ps3: Truck Racer

:ps3: Handball 2016

:vita: We Are Doomed (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

:vita: Hatoful Boyfriend (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

PSVR - RIGS Mechanized Combat League

No real Japanese games again this month. Although Hatoful Boyfriend is pretty thread worthy. More so if you're into Visual Novel and parodies. The rest... not so much. Regardless, We Are Doomed is a very brightly colored twin-stick shooter and Strike Vector Ex is a competitive fast paced aerial combat shooter that has fairly decent Steam reviews.

Kinda wish we would've gotten Sky Force Anniversary instead of We Are Doomed though. Oh well, wonder if their 'mistake' means we get that next month.

September PS+ Games:

:ps4: InFamous: Second Son

:ps4: Strike Vector Ex

:ps3: Truck Racer

:ps3: Handball 2016

:vita: We Are Doomed (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

:vita: Hatoful Boyfriend (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

No real Japanese games again this month. Although Hatoful Boyfriend is pretty thread worthy. More so if you're into Visual Novel and parodies. The rest... not so much. Regardless, We Are Doomed is a very brightly colored twin-stick shooter and Strike Vector Ex is a competitive fast paced aerial combat shooter that has fairly decent Steam reviews.
Pigeon dating simulator confirmed. The game has fantastic reviews and I don't know whether they're ironic or not.

Either way, hypu!

bread's done
Back