Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Be president.

lTmXhdr.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDWA1Xq8Jc

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I honestly really like RE 6.

I'm in the 1% of people who think 6 was good, and thought 7 was an okay game (but not really a good RE game).
6 is great. So much content and the gameplay is great. They fixed all the co-op issues from RE5. I never finished 7 because I lost interest.

So I remembered about the Nier vinyl box set and realized the NA Squenix store has it available for pre-order:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/460244/nier-automata-nier-gestalt-replicant-original-soundtrack-vinyl-box-set-vinyl

All the Japanese stores are sold out from what I can tell, so if you're interested this might be the only place to go to right now. 

Late edit:

There's going to be an Arranged & Unreleased Tracks soundtrack release for the game, too:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B075RGZYZ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_xmn0zbR3Y2F31

Week 6 of the release bonanza or week 5 for Japanese niche only releases. Decently heavy week, but nothing new that's a head turner. Though you could argue Culdcept, Layton and Mario & Luigi. Nothing western wise this week unless you count Forza 7, which has been transactioned to hell it seems. Last week I forgot to mentioned Total Warhammer II, but oh well.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Golf Story (Switch | RPG)
- 仙剑奇侠传五 前传(Chinese Paladin:Sword and Fairy 5 Prequel) (RPG | Chinese Lang Only)
- Space Live - Advent of the Net Idols (Visual Novel)
- Karmasutra (Visual Novel)
- Pale Spectrum - Part Two of the Book of Gray Magic (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (October 1st - October 7th)

Culdcept Revolt
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Board Game / Card Game
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Yes.

Symphony of Eternity
- Genre: RPG
- Online: N/A
- Comments: KEMCO Mobile Port.

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy
- Genre: Puzzle

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
- Genre: RPG

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS3, 360 & PC. Should run at 60 FPS.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC (Delayed)
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Rhythm
- Comments: Previously released on Vita, PS4 & Xbox One.

Axiom Verge
- Genre: Metroidvania

Volgarr the Viking
- Genre: Platformer
- Comments: Not Japanese. Previously released on PS4, Vita, Xbox One & PC.

Space Girls
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: Russian dev.

Tower of Lust
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Russian dev.

Saku Saku: Love Blooms with the Cherry Blossoms
- Genre: Visual Novel

HEIANKYO ALIEN / 平安京エイリアン
- Genre: Action / Retro
- Online: Yes?

Packet Queen #
- Genre: Action?

Coming Out on Top
- Genre: Visual Novel / Gay
- Comments: Not Japanese.

春风 Spring Breeze
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Omega Strike

Captain Firebeard and the Bay of Crows

My Sister's Discipline Log
- Comments: It's exactly what you think.

LOGistICAL: Japan
- Genre: Strategy
- Comments: Not Japanese?

Zeran's Folly

Jake's Love Story
- Comments: Russian dev, I think?

Winged Sakura: Endless Dream
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Not associated with Winged Cloud.

末日方舟
- Genre: Strategy / RPG
- Comments: Chinese language only. Early access.

弹幕音乐绘 ~风雷幻奏曲~ / Barrage Musical ~A Fantasy of Tempest~
- Genre: SHMUP / Bullet Hell
- Comments: Chinese language only.

Past Releases
September 24th - September 30th
September 17th - September 23rd
September 10th - September 16th
September 3rd - September 9th
August 27th - September 2nd

To everyone else who is playing Danganronpa V3, I just want to say I hate the first trial.
I just finished Ch 1 and liked the fact it happened early on

But if you were really digging Kaede I bet that sucked. I thought she was fine but liked Shuichi from the start

What an interesting coincidence that index is getting a 3rd season supposedly. Here's hoping they won't be needing a 4th.
It was leaked earlier this week it would be announced on October 1st which happened late last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZCV1ADhlQg

There's only 9 Volumes of the first part of the Light Novels for them to cover before Index New Testament. I would hope they can manage to squeeze it all into the 3rd Season perhaps by doing a similar method Durarara Season 2 did by splitting it into 3-cours. Even if they manage to cover the entire first part of the series they still have New Testament which is currently at 18 Volumes so they would still have a lot of catching up to do.

:ps4: Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception $50 $35

:ps4: The King of Fighters XIV: SteelBook Launch Edition $40 $28 (Cheaper than the standard version of the game.)

:ps4: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls $30 $20

The only MegaMan games I played were X Command Mission, and the Gba/DS StarForce games. I want more of both.
Only ones I've ever played believe it or not is the Megaman Battle Network series, and they are among some of my favorite games of all time. The blend of RPG elements, tactics, strategy, chip collecting, and story was phenomenal. They aren't very popular, and might even be seen as the dark horse Black Sheep of the Megaman series but I truly loved those games.

Only ones I've ever played believe it or not is the Megaman Battle Network series, and they are among some of my favorite games of all time. The blend of RPG elements, tactics, strategy, chip collecting, and story was phenomenal. They aren't very popular, and might even be seen as the dark horse of the Megaman series but I truly loved those games.
Battle Network was actually really popular in Japan and did pretty well in the states, enough to get several seasons of anime and 7 games.

Legends is the dark horse of the Megaman series.

Just finish Danganronpa V3 so I'll give a short impression.

Having beating Happy Trigger Havoc and Goodbye Despair, along with watching both sides of the Danganronpa  anime, I want to say V3 was weaker than I expected at first.  Most of the tricks and logic will not seem fresh for Danganronpa veterans, and the flow/story had your average pacing.

However, the ending portions were a real surprise.  The story in the final trial was a real treat, even if the gameplay portion was not as exciting as previous entries. 

Overall, the story was pretty average until the end, where it ramps up in good ol' Dangan style.

The gameplay (trials, puzzles, etc) was what you expect from the series, but the ending debates didn't have the excitement of D1 or D2.

Leaving for Japan on Tuesday. Anyone have any import recommendations? PS4 or ds. 

So far on my list:

Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin!

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition

Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 (if I get a JPN 2ds)

Seiken Densetsu Collection (Switch)

Nioh for the PC is nice, but it's also Koei Tecmo. I guess this will be one of their 5% games that aren't complete and total ass? I wonder who they contract to do the ports for those few non-shitty PC ports they do. I don't think I've ever seen a publisher be so horribly inconsistent in quality across the board for so long with so many titles.

Nioh for the PC is nice, but it's also Koei Tecmo. I guess this will be one of their 5% games that aren't complete and total ass? I wonder who they contract to do the ports for those few non-shitty PC ports they do. I don't think I've ever seen a publisher be so horribly inconsistent in quality across the board for so long with so many titles.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nioh-pc-release-date-announced-will-support-4k/1100-6453711/

"The PC version will have Action Mode, which runs the game at a "stable 60 frames per second," or Movie Mode, which is "a cinematic option that can expand the display resolution to 4K." Although Koei Tecmo doesn't specify as much, the Movie Mode will presumably run at a lower frame rate."

I know this was an option on the PS4 version, but that doesn't sound very promising for a PC port. I really hope you can still customize the graphical options.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nioh-pc-release-date-announced-will-support-4k/1100-6453711/

"The PC version will have Action Mode, which runs the game at a "stable 60 frames per second," or Movie Mode, which is "a cinematic option that can expand the display resolution to 4K." Although Koei Tecmo doesn't specify as much, the Movie Mode will presumably run at a lower frame rate."

I know this was an option on the PS4 version, but that doesn't sound very promising for a PC port. I really hope you can still customize the graphical options.
Yeah, I don't even understand why they have "Action Mode" and "Movie Mode" on PC. It's literally just standard PC options.

I'm sure it'll be one of their several "decent" ports though. With how big/well received it was on the PS4, I can't imagine it not being a decent one. Although Koei Tecmo always managed to surprise in the worst possible ways. Their latest, Blue Reflection, has a bug that causes crashing during Chapter 7 all the time making it impossible to finish the game unless you edit one of the game files. So, yeah, I have no real trust in them.

Also finished Chapter 1 of Danganronpa V3 last night.

Was not expecting that kind of development so early in the game...really caught me off guard.

Well done, game. Well done.  :cry:

Weekly free PSN junk:

Senko no Ronde 2

PS4

- Pilot Karel Rounder Azureus

- Pilot Lili Rounder Brinsta

The Metronomicon: Slay the Dance Floor

PS4

- Demo (Alt Link)

The PS+ Specials is currently still going on it seems. Otherwise nothing new sales wise that would be thread related as far as I can tell.

The October PS+ Games still don't seem to be available yet. I'll leave the link there in case that changes though.

Man, what am I doing. Thinking it's Tuesday for some reason. What the hell did I do this weekend to make me think it's Tuesday already.

Looks like Stardew Valley is releasing on the Switch this Thursday, the day of the harvest moon.

Direct Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/tiyuri/status/914882603643281408

Also some information on the upcoming Chucklefish game, Spellbound:

http://www.pcgamer.com/chucklefishs-magic-school-rpg-more-details-on-dating-combat-and-influences/

Should hopefully be interesting. Definitely will be on PC and likely PS4, Xbox One and Switch as well.
Niceee, I might try it out to see if it can compete with the holy grail that is Rune Factory

I played through the first two class trials in Danganronpa V3 over the weekend. Loving it so far. I won't go into any particulars, as the story beats for Danganronpa have always been a big part of the appeal of the series. But it is essentially more Danganronpa. If you liked any of the previous games, you will likely be on-board for this one. Great writing, ridiculous over-the-top characters, and some pretty cool puzzle solving and mysteries. Good stuff.

I'll likely slow down a little during the week, as I have a few chores that i need to tend to. But as is always true with this series, I'll end up playing all the way through it sometime this month. I just love my adventure games.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

My Culdcept LE can't get here soon enough, I've been too long without a new localized Culdcept entry!
Got my Culdcept Revolt LE today from Best Buy in a well protected box a little while ago. If you ordered from Amazon I can see them possibly shipping this in a large bubble mailer as its small enough for them to do that, but the box is fairly sturdy so it may survive the trip unscathed. Can't play it until tomorrow though since I have to go into work :cry:

I can't play it until October 13-16. It had to come out after I left the US. It's still preparing for shipment from Amazon :(

Was the physical version of Battle Chasers: Nightwar delayed? Amazon says it's releasing tomorrow, but my pre-order still has the "We need a little more time to figure out a delivery date" message.

:vita: Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!!
:vita: XBlaze Lost: Memories
:vita: XBlaze Code: Embryo
:vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
:3ds: Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven
:ps4: Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
:ps4: DOOM
:ps4: Shantae Half-Genie Hero

Picked these up from the Gamestop deal ($65). I'm expecting most of these as disc/cart only, but I can print out a cover art as I am not too ocd about complete. 

i don't like shark girl's design, doesn't fit with the other girls & more importantly isn't cute.
She should of been more humanoid like squid girl.
Later when the game adds more characters i hope it comes to ps4.

bread's done
Back