Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
fdDRbJk.jpg
RIP Miyu.

9iG2KMs.gif

Just got this email from NISA and it explains why about a month ago it took them a good long while to answer one of my tickets:

A message to all of our fans, from the
NISA Online Store Support Prinnies:
Over the past month, we have been honored to bring you Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, as well as our other upcoming titles. The response has been very humbling, as so many of you have been so excited to receive your Limited Editions and other merchandise.

As a result of the popularity of these titles, we have been receiving many more support tickets than usual from excited fans looking to resolve billing issues, ask shipping questions, or check the status of their order. Due to the volume of support tickets, we have not always been able to respond to messages in as quickly of a timeframe as we would like.

We would like to let our fans know that we are working hard to address their concerns and issues, and are doing everything we can to get through our support tickets as quickly as possible. We greatly appreciate your support and your patience during this time as we continuously help everyone.

We increased our staffing prior to these big releases to help us respond to messages more quickly, and even now we are evaluating ways to help reduce issues for fans placing orders on our store both now and in the future.

If you have not yet received a response from us, please know that we are looking forward to the opportunity to be able to assist you. If your order had an issue with billing, it has not been cancelled - it has simply been placed on hold at this time while we look to assist you in updating your payment information. Orders that are placed on hold due to billing issues are not cancelled unless they remain unpaid for extended periods of time. We intend to hold any unpaid orders of Ys VIII or Danganronpa V3 until at least the end of November. If you have not received your items, we are happy to see what can be done to help you.

For now, we are continuing to work through all cases to ensure they are responded to. We ask that you only send in one message for an issue to help lessen the number of support requests we receive.

The best ways to contact us regarding any support issues with NISA Online Store purchases are to either message us at [email protected], sending us a message via the green "Help" button found at the bottom of any NISA Online Store page, or by calling us at (714)540-1185 Monday through Friday at 10AM to 5 PM Pacific Time.

We thank you again for your support and your patience, and we look forward to responding to your messages soon.

Best Wishes,
-The NISA Online Store Support Prinnies

Just got this email from NISA and it explains why about a month ago it took them a good long while to answer one of my tickets:

A message to all of our fans, from the
NISA Online Store Support Prinnies:
Over the past month, we have been honored to bring you Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, as well as our other upcoming titles. The response has been very humbling, as so many of you have been so excited to receive your Limited Editions and other merchandise.

As a result of the popularity of these titles, we have been receiving many more support tickets than usual from excited fans looking to resolve billing issues, ask shipping questions, or check the status of their order. Due to the volume of support tickets, we have not always been able to respond to messages in as quickly of a timeframe as we would like.

We would like to let our fans know that we are working hard to address their concerns and issues, and are doing everything we can to get through our support tickets as quickly as possible. We greatly appreciate your support and your patience during this time as we continuously help everyone.

We increased our staffing prior to these big releases to help us respond to messages more quickly, and even now we are evaluating ways to help reduce issues for fans placing orders on our store both now and in the future.

If you have not yet received a response from us, please know that we are looking forward to the opportunity to be able to assist you. If your order had an issue with billing, it has not been cancelled - it has simply been placed on hold at this time while we look to assist you in updating your payment information. Orders that are placed on hold due to billing issues are not cancelled unless they remain unpaid for extended periods of time. We intend to hold any unpaid orders of Ys VIII or Danganronpa V3 until at least the end of November. If you have not received your items, we are happy to see what can be done to help you.

For now, we are continuing to work through all cases to ensure they are responded to. We ask that you only send in one message for an issue to help lessen the number of support requests we receive.

The best ways to contact us regarding any support issues with NISA Online Store purchases are to either message us at [email protected], sending us a message via the green "Help" button found at the bottom of any NISA Online Store page, or by calling us at (714)540-1185 Monday through Friday at 10AM to 5 PM Pacific Time.

We thank you again for your support and your patience, and we look forward to responding to your messages soon.

Best Wishes,
-The NISA Online Store Support Prinnies
I've found that it is best to contact NISA by calling them at the customer service number. I've had the most success in reaching someone either right at the beginning of their listed hours or over the last couple hours they are open (3 to 5pm PT). I'm think it may just be one guy answering their phones as the few times I've had to call I always spoke to the same guy.

I've never received an email response to any customer service issues from them.

I've found that it is best to contact NISA by calling them at the customer service number. I've had the most success in reaching someone either right at the beginning of their listed hours or over the last couple hours they are open (3 to 5pm PT). I'm think it may just be one guy answering their phones as the few times I've had to call I always spoke to the same guy.

I've never received an email response to any customer service issues from them.
I have called them in the past, and I always recommend that method as well, but my recent issues where not 911, so I just opted for the ticket system as I figured they would get to me at some point. It wasn't really time sensitive, as I just wanted to cancel an item from an order, and since all 3 wouldn't be shipping for a few months, it was no rush.

I have called them in the past, and I always recommend that method as well, but my recent issues where not 911, so I just opted for the ticket system as I figured they would get to me at some point. It wasn't really time sensitive, as I just wanted to cancel an item from an order, and since all 3 wouldn't be shipping for a few months, it was no rush.
How long did it actually take them to get back to you?

No, I actually don't remember that. It was for DOA5 I'm assuming? Cause I remember them releasing Mai and some other character.
This was back when DOA5 first released; in one of the interviews they did around that time, they said that DLC characters were a bad practice since it meant different players with different rosters or something like that, and said they weren't going to do it for DOA5.

Then they released like ten DLC characters, two of which still aren't available in any retail release to date.

So I got an email from IFFY saying they made a mistake on a soundtrack disc printing for Cyberdimension Neptunia CE, and that they were gonna give another disc with the right print for free. So that's pretty neat. I'm assuming it's just the art print on the CD, and the music isn't affected, so you get the soundtrack twice. I would've said the wrong printed CD might become a rare collector's item down the line, but I think all CEs have the defect, and I don't have any intention of selling mine.

Also, on the fighting game DLC thing, Guilty Gear Revelator also had all character DLC for free for the 1st month, both Kum and Dizzy were the only DLC before Rev 2, and were free (for a limited time). Nitroplus Blasterz had Aino Heart and Homura free as well. Tekken Tag Tournament 2, all 12(?) dlc characters were free months later. Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition had Yuuki free, Ako was charged later. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax also had free DLC, but Margaret was priced. But I'm just shit/nitpicking at this point. 

I like their SFV free DLC character model, if you do the story/backstory/challenges, you'll have enough for a full season of characters. Each character lets you do their story/challenges for even more FM, so you get like a 20% FM rebate or something. But as more seasons come, the FM needed will vastly increase, and story isn't going to cut it. And did they really have to charge for the goddamn stages, and every single premium costume can only be bought by real money!?

So you Overwatch people thought you were done and then they went and added these skins to this event:

[customspoiler='Zenyatta (Cthulhu - N'Zoth? Mind Flayer?)']
kowecQN.png
[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Mei (Jiangshi)']
zJ6jUSU.jpg
[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Symmetra (Deathwing? Tiefling?)']
Oeo8knf.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Technically they're not confirmed. So if they are fake, then they're some damned good fakes. If these are true, then Zen's ult with that skin should say "Experience insanity." I'll skip posting anymore I come across until the confirmed list is out come Tuesday.

Unrelated, this is probably the best quality of life change in Cold Steel III:

[customspoiler='Trails of Cold Steel III QOL Change']
iii_20171001194950ors59.png
[/customspoiler]

Also seems like there will indeed be a Cold Steel IV. Bah.

Every single one can be earned for free, and that's a model that virtually no other fighting games do.
Arms offers their DLC characters for free. Dragonball Z: Extreme Butoden did it--all characters unlocked in the game. And, prior to Tekken 7, so did Tekken Tag 2. So it has been done, and continues to be done by other companies.

Arms offers their DLC characters for free. Dragonball Z: Extreme Butoden did it--all characters unlocked in the game. And, prior to Tekken 7, so did Tekken Tag 2. So it has been done, and continues to be done by other companies.
I never said Capcom was the only one who's done it. I just said very few fighting games offer their DLC characters for free (even fewer offer the same amount that Capcom's done so far, 11 characters (soon to be 12)).

But I'm done. You obviously hate Capcom and just want to argue about how much you hate them. I just don't care anymore. This is my last post on this subject.

With calls, it was immediate, as they would answer the phone, and I would state my issue and get it fixed. If I called and got their message, I would never leave one, as that would be the same as having a ticket. But back then, they would pick up 4 in 5 times, so if I ever got the recording, I would just call back at a different time and then get some one.

That was probably back when Danganronpa 2 was first offered, and they've grown rather larger since then. They also had a base free shipping option as well at the time, so now they have tons of hold orders like LRG due to combining orders for free shipping, which I'm sure is a large part of backing up CS. As you always get customers wanting to change things, or ship this, and keep that, and it becomes a logistical nightmare to say the least. I think Sandy was the name of the girl I would always deal with on the phone, and she was great at the time.

So I can't say currently how long it takes to get a return call, but in this situation, I would just leave a message and a ticket and see which one gets answered first. When people leave phone messages, depending on that persons first language, they may not get or understand the message left. In those cases, and email can be partially translated, and easier to solve if that's an issue for someone. The fact that they sent out an email like the one I posted, tells me they are way backed up across the board, and it may take a awhile. My last ticket about a month ago took about 1-2 weeks for a reply, and another I left at the same time, never did get answered.

This has been under the radar since not even Nintendo themselves has really cared in promoting it much but today is the Nintendo World Championship which starts at 5PM EST / 2PM PST. Maybe we'll get a new game reveal... it'll just end up being Blast Ball Mk 2.

Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match theme song announced and Gameplay

Gameplay available from 11:12 to 21:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCCFQY8zJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s-OuEoK0M8
Love it, fantastic, amazing, beautiful! I'm talking about Ai Kayano being on the stream, the gameplay is good too.

IME they are terrible about calling you back, I've never gotten a call back from them when you leave a voice mail. However, I haven't had to much trouble getting them to pick up when I call them, and they are actually quite helpful once you get them on the line.

With calls, it was immediate, as they would answer the phone, and I would state my issue and get it fixed. If I called and got their message, I would never leave one, as that would be the same as having a ticket. But back then, they would pick up 4 in 5 times, so if I ever got the recording, I would just call back at a different time and then get some one.

That was probably back when Danganronpa 2 was first offered, and they've grown rather larger since then. They also had a base free shipping option as well at the time, so now they have tons of hold orders like LRG due to combining orders for free shipping, which I'm sure is a large part of backing up CS. As you always get customers wanting to change things, or ship this, and keep that, and it becomes a logistical nightmare to say the least. I think Sandy was the name of the girl I would always deal with on the phone, and she was great at the time.

So I can't say currently how long it takes to get a return call, but in this situation, I would just leave a message and a ticket and see which one gets answered first. When people leave phone messages, depending on that persons first language, they may not get or understand the message left. In those cases, and email can be partially translated, and easier to solve if that's an issue for someone. The fact that they sent out an email like the one I posted, tells me they are way backed up across the board, and it may take a awhile. My last ticket about a month ago took about 1-2 weeks for a reply, and another I left at the same time, never did get answered.

IME they are terrible about calling you back, I've never gotten a call back from them when you leave a voice mail. However, I haven't had to much trouble getting them to pick up when I call them, and they are actually quite helpful once you get them on the line.

I just started White Day today. It's definitely a fun one to play in October and makes me wish we'd get some new Fatal Frame games for the PS4. I know Nintendo has the licensing now so it isn't too likely. I wouldn't argue against an Haunting Ground HD remake either. 

EDIT: For those interested, White Day's already dropped to $24.99 on Amazon just over a week after release. That's the second time Amazon did this, I buy a movie or game and they drop the price only days later. Oh well, it was pretty cheap to begin with, so no biggle.

Agreed. SFV has a lot of problems, but their content model isn't one of them. It's actually very consumer friendly. People need to stop being so freaking biased.
Sorry, but no. It's nice that you can earn characters, but they've also charged downright repulsive prices (up to 400% that of competitors) for their "premium" content, which is just sugarcoating for "content we won't let you earn."

It seems they've recently reduced the prices on some stuff, but nearly all of the "premium" costumes started at $4 a piece, which is some shit I'd expect from some scam artist mobile title. That's not even considering the $10 stages and the $25 pack that came with 3 costumes and 1 stage.

People heap way too much praise on SFV's DLC model. While there are nice aspects to it, it's far from clean of Capcom's scummy, corporate bullshit that has fucked over so many of their modern titles.

Sorry, but no. It's nice that you can earn characters, but they've also charged downright repulsive prices (up to 400% that of competitors) for their "premium" content, which is just sugarcoating for "content we won't let you earn."

It seems they've recently reduced the prices on some stuff, but nearly all of the "premium" costumes started at $4 a piece, which is some shit I'd expect from some scam artist mobile title. That's not even considering the $10 stages and the $25 pack that came with 3 costumes and 1 stage.

People heap way too much praise on SFV's DLC model. While there are nice aspects to it, it's far from clean of Capcom's scummy, corporate bullshit that has fucked over so many of their modern titles.
Guess you live in a fantasy world if you'd only expect that kind of thing from a mobile game.

Tell me, how anything Capcom is doing with SFV dlc is worse than crap like this: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2/cid=UP1024-CUSA07594_00-GGXRDREV2US00100%3AADD-ONS/1

Unless you think $18 for palette swaps is cool?

Not to mention the joke that is paying for the menu voices. And again, all the important stuff in SFV is coming as free content. And you can earn the important paid content (characters) for free.

The costume prices aren't out of the ordinary for really any game these days. Not just fighting games.

Guess you live in a fantasy world if you'd only expect that kind of thing from a mobile game.

Tell me, how anything Capcom is doing with SFV dlc is worse than crap like this: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2/cid=UP1024-CUSA07594_00-GGXRDREV2US00100%3AADD-ONS/1

Not to mention the joke that is paying for the menu voices. And again, all the important stuff in SFV is coming as free content. And you can earn the important paid content (characters) for free.

The costume prices aren't out of the ordinary for really any game these days. Not just fighting games.
1. I live in a world where gamers can and should expect more from developers, not less.

2. Tell me where I said Arksys' DLC practices were healthy. Though I wouldn't say $18 for palettes for 25+ characters is much worse than $4+ for costume for a single character. I've ripped into Arksys on multiple occasions over their system voices not transferring between versions of the games. Shit, I raised hell over MK9 having retailer exclusive costumes, back in 2011.

3. The costume prices are out absolutely of the ordinary. DoA, which was thought to be highly expensive when it comes to costumes, averages $2 a costume. Mortal Kombat X/Injustice costumes came at $1.99 or less. Tekken/Soul Calibur costumes are applicable to multiple characters, so they can come in at less than $1. Hell, f*ckin Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter X Tekken had costumes for 99 cents or LESS. Injustice 2 has f*ckin' DYNAMIC costumes with a wealth of shaders and they're all included in the game. They also have costumes that DESERVE the name "premium" as they come with hundreds of lines of custom dialogue and, in some cases, significantly change a the visual effects of characters moves.

4. We haven't even gotten into stages, of which MKX offered free additions and SFV has asked for $10+, in some cases, and at best, you can earn others or pay something like $4 or $5 each.

We done?

As long as the Monster Hunter team keeps putting out gems whose only real monetization model is subsequent extra content versions, I like Capcom just fine. I don't play any of their other games, anyway.

Unless Dragon's Dogma counts, but the odds of getting a new DD are roughly 0.00001%.

Technically, you can earn those palette swaps and menu voices for free in Guilty Gear Revelator by fishing. And their character DLC were free week 1 of release. So I think nearly all the DLC is earnable/free in that game.

SFV also charges for exclusive color pallets too. In their $25 CPT pack, they had exclusive Playstation only colors for their bundle.

I don't exist, good bye.

1. I live in a world where gamers can and should expect more from developers, not less.

2. Tell me where I said Arksys' DLC practices were healthy. Though I wouldn't say $18 for palettes for 25+ characters is much worse than $4+ for costume for a single character. I've ripped into Arksys on multiple occasions over their system voices not transferring between versions of the games. Shit, I raised hell over MK9 having retailer exclusive costumes, back in 2011.

3. The costume prices are out absolutely of the ordinary. DoA, which was thought to be highly expensive when it comes to costumes, averages $2 a costume. Mortal Kombat X/Injustice costumes came at $1.99 or less. Tekken/Soul Calibur costumes are applicable to multiple characters, so they can come in at less than $1. Hell, f*ckin Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter X Tekken had costumes for 99 cents or LESS. Injustice 2 has f*ckin' DYNAMIC costumes with a wealth of shaders and they're all included in the game. They also have costumes that DESERVE the name "premium" as they come with hundreds of lines of custom dialogue and, in some cases, significantly change a the visual effects of characters moves.

4. We haven't even gotten into stages, of which MKX offered free additions and SFV has asked for $10+, in some cases, and at best, you can earn others or pay something like $4 or $5 each.

We done?
Sure, but you're wrong. It is out of the ordinary, and not all of the costumes are that expensive. Just taking a look at the DLC page, the Halloween set is $10 and has 7 costumes and a stage. Not bad. Some DOA5 costumes may be $2, but some are $3. Some may even be more but I'm not looking through all that. Take a look outside of fighting games, Persona 5 has costumes that are $3/each.

MKX may have offered free stages, but not free characters. You're going to be paying for them if you want them, that's your only option.

You can expect what you want from game developers, but reality is, Capcom's pricing on things isn't that far off from others. Fact of the matter is you can earn dlc characters for free in SFV (which are more important to the game than stages) and you can't in anything else.

Sure, but you're wrong. It is out of the ordinary, and not all of the costumes are that expensive. Just taking a look at the DLC page, the Halloween set is $10 and has 7 costumes and a stage. Not bad. Some DOA5 costumes may be $2, but some are $3. Some may even be more but I'm not looking through all that. Take a look outside of fighting games, Persona 5 has costumes that are $3/each.

MKX may have offered free stages, but not free characters. You're going to be paying for them if you want them, that's your only option.

You can expect what you want from game developers, but reality is, Capcom's pricing on things isn't that far off from others. Fact of the matter is you can earn dlc characters for free in SFV (which are more important to the game than stages) and you can't in anything else.
1. Do you read or just talk? I already stated that the SFV costume prices were dropped, likely as a response to piss poor sales and backlash. They were originally listed as $4, sold singularly. Beyond that, they've even asked for $6 on certain costumes AND made them available for a limited time. Furthermore, they're STILL doing this. You'll see the next CPT pack going for $25 and consisting of 3 characters and a stage... and that's the bundle value.

2. You do know what 'average' means, yes? There are tons of DoA5 costumes priced at less than $2. In fact, the vast majority of them can be had for less than $2. Please show me where you've seen a single DoA5 costume at $3 or higher.

3. Non-fighting games are irrelevant. Persona is not competition to SFV, and even if it it was, another game overpricing content is no justification. I've already given you several examples of competing fighting games, even fighting games made by Capcom, that have much lower pricing on their aesthetic content.

4. I don't know if you know that I know that you can earn characters in SFV. I thought it was pretty obvious when, I said "It's nice that you can earn characters..." The point is that Capcom used that as a crutch for drastically overpricing their laughably named "premium" content.

...and now I'm done with this subject. You can diddle around with semantics to try and justify it, fact is Capcom ain't setting any standards in business practice.

1. Do you read or just talk? I already stated that the SFV costume prices were dropped, likely as a response to piss poor sales and backlash. They were originally listed as $4, sold singularly. Beyond that, they've even asked for $6 on certain costumes AND made them available for a limited time. Furthermore, they're STILL doing this. You'll see the next CPT pack going for $25 and consisting of 3 characters and a stage... and that's the bundle value.

2. You do know what 'average' means, yes? There are tons of DoA5 costumes priced at less than $2. In fact, the vast majority of them can be had for less than $2. Please show me where you've seen a single DoA5 costume at $3 or higher.

3. Outside fighting games are irrelevant. Persona is not competition to SFV, and even if it it was, another game overpricing content is no justification. I've already given you several examples of competing fighting games, even fighting games made by Capcom, that have much lower pricing on their aesthetic content.

4. I don't know if you know that I know that you can earn characters in SFV. I thought it was pretty obvious when I said "It's nice that you can earn characters..." The point is that Capcom used that as a crutch for drastically overpricing their laughably named "premium" content.

I'm done with this subject. You can diddle around with semantics to try and justify it, fact is Capcom ain't setting any standards in business practice.
1. They're still listing costumes for $6? That's funny, because I don't see any on PSN

2. What is math? To average $2 there would have to be some under $2. There are none. The exact opposite of "tons" Here you go: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/doa5lr-senran-kagura-mashup-rachel/cid=UP4108-CUSA01665_00-RACHEL24DLCU0000

3. It's not irrelevant. A costume is a costume. It does the same thing in Persona 5 that it does in Street Fighter V.

4. Doesn't matter why they allow you to get them for free, the fact is you can, and it's not even very hard to. It just involves playing the game. Weird. Characters are an integral part of the game, and along with them Capcom is giving you all the important parts for free. How many other fighting games do that? The "premium" content is hardly important to the game in any way.

You can have blind Capcom hate, but reality is they're nowhere near as bad as other companies, and the SFV model IS friendly to consumers by allowing you to get everything important for free. Even giving exact things you need to do to get the characters, not luck based things like loot boxes that have become so popular these days.

1. They're still listing costumes for $6? That's funny, because I don't see any on PSN

2. What is math? To average $2 there would have to be some under $2. There are none. The exact opposite of "tons" Here you go: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/doa5lr-senran-kagura-mashup-rachel/cid=UP4108-CUSA01665_00-RACHEL24DLCU0000

3. It's not irrelevant. A costume is a costume. It does the same thing in Persona 5 that it does in Street Fighter V.

4. Doesn't matter why they allow you to get them for free, the fact is you can, and it's not even very hard to. It just involves playing the game. Weird. Characters are an integral part of the game, and along with them Capcom is giving you all the important parts for free. How many other fighting games do that? The "premium" content is hardly important to the game in any way.

You can have blind Capcom hate, but reality is they're nowhere near as bad as other companies, and the SFV model IS friendly to consumers by allowing you to get everything important for free. Even giving exact things you need to do to get the characters, not luck based things like loot boxes that have become so popular these days.
1. You wanna know why you don't see them? Because they were made available for a limited time to goad players into paying their ridiculous prices and have since been removed. You can't get them anymore. Wanna know what's even funnier? They don't only limit this practice to their CPT packs. They limited their last Halloween set, which again, had costumes at $3.99 each, singularly.

2. Every $1.99 DoA costume you see is available in a bundle for cheaper. The $2.99 costume you linked is also available in a bundle for $33.99, which includes 16 costumes. $2.12 on average, and that's for their most expensive costumes. Again, at the high end, Capcom asks $25 for 3 costumes and a stage, so you can say that's $5 at best in a bundle. $6 singularly... AND they're available for a few months.

3. Yes. It is irrelevant. You wouldn't look at FFXIV selling a mount costume for $28 and say that justifies Capcom's nonsense.

4. Content is content. Stop saying that characters can be earned. I know that. I've made that clear. I've already made the point beyond that. What you find important is subjective. People like aesthetic customization, should they be penalized for that? No.

FINALLY, I'm going to be blunt. You don't know shit about me and you can't read me for shit, either. Once upon a time, Capcom was my absolute favorite developer. I am a completely unbiased person. When Capcom announced their DLC plans for SFV, I praised them many times on having what I thought would be the best DLC model in any fighting game to date. I maintained that until I saw them using it to cushion the price gouging of the "premium" content.

Basically what I'm saying is speak for yourself.

Does anyone know if you can unlock SF5 characters for free? I have not seen this mentioned before.

1. You wanna know why you don't see them? Because they were made available for a limited time to goad players into paying their ridiculous prices and have since been removed. You can't get them anymore. Wanna know what's even funnier? They don't only limit this practice to their CPT packs. They limited their last Halloween set, which again, had costumes at $3.99 each, singularly.

2. Every $1.99 costume you see is available in a bundle for cheaper. The $2.99 costume you linked is also available in a bundle for $33.99, which includes 16 costumes. $2.12 on average, and that's for their most expensive costumes. Again, Capcom asks $25 for 3 costumes and a stage, so you can say that's $5 at best in a bundle. $6 singularly... AND they're available for a few months.

3. Yes. It is irrelevant. You wouldn't look at FFXIV selling a mount costume for $28 and say that justifies Capcom's nonsense.

4. Content is content. Stop saying that characters can be earned. I know that. I've made that clear. I've already made the point beyond that. What you find important is subjective. People like aesthetic customization, should they be penalized for that? No.

FINALLY, I'm going to be blunt. You don't know shit about me and you can't read me for shit, either. Once upon a time, Capcom was my absolute favorite developer. I am a completely unbiased person. When Capcom announced their DLC plans for SFV, I praised them many times on having what I thought would be the best model in any fighting game to date. I maintained that until I saw them using it to cushion the price gouging of the "premium" content.

Basically what I'm saying is speak for yourself.
1. Doesn't matter what was, what matters is now and I'm going off their current DLC which isn't outrageous in any way compared to other dlc

2. Doesn't matter if they're available as a bundle. What if I don't want them all? Singularly they are $2 and $3 each.

3. Nope, it's not. Even if you want to ignore other genres, the costumes still aren't that far off from other fighting games.

4. Aesthetic dlc is a choice, and just as you say, it's PREMIUM. Not having a character you want to play as can affect the game, not having a piece of aesthetic content doesn't. The game plays the same either way.

It's cute you think you're a "completely unbiased person". No one is. That's life. Objectively speaking, getting all the integral content for free is better than having to pay for it. That's a fact. SFV does it, others don't. Not sure how that's anything but consumer friendly. If they forced you to get them through say...luck based loot boxes, then yeah, that would be pretty shitty. Not the case.

Mhm, Agreed. Hence why I refuse to even touch most if not all fighting games.
I wouldn't let the DLC model of fighting games stop you from playing them if I were you. Most of them have pretty decent content even without DLC, even SFV managed to add a story/challenges later on. Some of the niche fighting games don't even have DLC, or give them all free early on, like Nitroplus Blasterz, Arcana Hearts, Dengeki Bunko, etc.

It's my favorite genre, and having played nearly every fighting game PS3 onwards, I'd say you'd be missing out a lot by skipping the genre completely. Even if not for the gameplay, Blazblue has a terrific story, Guilty Gear has amazing presentation, Persona 4 Arena has great fanservice, Mortal Kombat has good cinematics, Injustice has tons of variety, etc.

Plus, in most cases DLC doesn't really matter at all. Even DLC characters, it's not like you are going to pick up and play each of those chars. Most will likely pick a main from the main roster and stick with them, having no interest in other DLC chars. Character still play the same regardless of costume. DLC isn't a huge factor in how fun a fighting game is, and other games with expansion packs/lootboxes/map/guns to buy, probably have it worse.

You've got that backwards actually. No one was talking about bundle pricing, but you brought it up to try and save face. There sure aren't "tons of DoA5 costumes priced at less than $2." There's not even one (1). Great post though. Love how completely unbiased it is.

bread's done
Back