Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy Xenosaga HD Collection in a heartbeat if this comes true. I played them a bit here and there and remember them being so up their own ass when they first came out. Would be curious if this is still the case or if I just was edgy at the time. Either way I am glad the Switch is getting a solid lineup of support with JRPG's and whatnot. 

:ps4: Warriors All Stars is also $24 (GCU) at Best Buy, and $30 at Amazon. I remember asking Supplice about it months ago when it was $40 and he said it wasn't worth it then. So this might be the sweet spot for some of you. No multiplayer though.
I'm still waiting for Supplice to tell us whether this is worth it at this price
Here is what I wrote to BRW in the Niche Backlog thread back about it. Anyway, Amazon's price isn't worth it and I feel it will go lower with Best Buy since all the other KT titles are hitting the $19.99 price point. So feel free to wait if you like.

GameInformer Cover for Megaman 11
JymDK1u.jpg
Some minor adjustments made.

IOxNkXg.png

Here's the link to the theme on the JPN PSN: https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0506-CUSA09411_00-AC20THATHEME0001

I'll probably wait on a drop for this since I've already played it and wouldn't get around to it any time soon. Unless there's a nice CE of course :p

Xenosaga HD Collection
I don't really care what platform I have to play it on.. this is my first time hearing of this and am excited it's coming in any form

Am I the only one struggling to get into XC2? In particular I'm finding the map / fast travel system really cumbersome.

I don't really care what platform I have to play it on.. this is my first time hearing of this and am excited it's coming in any form

Am I the only one struggling to get into XC2? In particular I'm finding the map / fast travel system really cumbersome.
I agree on the map issues. I wish there was a dedicated map. The fact that the only map we have is that one used for fast travel really throws me off.

Other than that, I have been enjoying the game. Currently doing some quests since I reached a boss battle that I am not leveled up for yet.

I agree on the map issues. I wish there was a dedicated map. The fact that the only map we have is that one used for fast travel really throws me off.

Other than that, I have been enjoying the game. Currently doing some quests since I reached a boss battle that I am not leveled up for yet.
Yeah, the map system is not the greatest but it's manageable. The game also really needs a digital manual or an in-game help database. The battle system is pretty complex and while the game does offer tutorials you only get to view them once. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on it now after reading a few articles online and that's definitely increased my enjoyment of the game.

Hopefully the Xenosaga Collection comes to PS4 as well. Won't even bother with it if it's only on Switch.
The Switch would be a very good fit for a re-make collection such as this. Especially considering that the original Xenosaga was a PS2 series. (quite dated, and not that demanding in terms of graphics)

At the same time, for consumers like you who are not interested in the Switch, I wouldn't worry. While the current "Xeno" developers are pretty tight with Nintendo, the original Xenosaga series was a third-party property. It is quite likely that an HD re-release would make its way to multiple systems. No guarantee, I'm not exactly sure who currently owns the licensing rights to those old games. But if they aren't currently under Nintendo's purview, the collection will likely be released on PS4/X1/PC. Third-party developers like having a nice, broad market to sell to sell to.

Hmmm... did a little research, and there may be concern for multi-platform support after all. Monolith Soft, the current developer, is the same developer of the whole series. If they own the rights, there might be an issue. The original publisher of the Xenosaga games was Bandai/Namco. If they own the rights to the games, then a multi-platform release is all but assured.

I seriously just spent 90 minutes trying to find the right place to go to advance the story (great spine boundary).  Finally caved and had to look it up online.

The characters are interesting and the Xeno series has always been good at providing edgy / unexpected plot turns.  The main problems are the map issues and poor technical performance that takes away from the open world exploration.  I think I remember XC:X looking a lot better than this (albeit with longer load times).  The battle system felt pretty comfortable for me but maybe that's due to familiarity with the previous two games and mmo-style aggro mechanics.

I'd honestly rather have a remake that fixes the battle system in Xenosaga 1-3. It's so god damned slow and boring. Hopefully they at the very least include a speed up toggle for battle in it. Otherwise I'm not sure I'll ever replay it.

And yes, the map and compass is absolutely terrible in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Worst out of all the games so far. Wish they'd take some cues from the latest Doom and how it did its maps. The game constantly reminds me that I hate poor design choices.

And yes, the map and compass is absolutely terrible in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Worst out of all the games so far. Wish they'd take some cues from the latest Doom and how it did its maps. The game constantly reminds me that I hate poor design choices.
Yeah, I feel the same way about the poor design decisions. I'm coming around a little bit on the battle system because stopping auto attack while moving does provide some advantages when you're managing aggro, but I still don't like the slow pace and haven't really picked up the flow of combos and all that.

I haven't tried playing this in handheld mode, but I can only imagine how bad it would look and run. The game can barely stay above 25fps when I'm running around the map doing nothing as is. I'll echo the hatred for the compass as well, because it really makes no sense at times. I spent about 5 minutes running in one direction towards the objective only to find out I was running in the complete opposite direction despite the marker counting down the distance. It only swung around to the other side once I turned a corner and it realized I wasn't anywhere near the objective.

I'm enjoying XB2 but all the criticism of the map and compass is completely on point. I've only played it in handheld mode ironically so now I'm not sure I want to dock it if that looks so much better.

I'd care more about a Xenosaga remaster if XS2 wasn't unplayable trash.

Still need to get off my translation ass and get around to forcing myself to read through XS1&2 for DS. The science lingo is so damn dense, though.

I would definitely buy Xenosaga HD Collection if it's all 3 games on cart. I would probably buy Dark Souls too depending on what's included. These games are all too big to all be on the cart though right?
Pretty sure Dark Souls 3 would need some limitations to run on Switch, period. Going by Doom's port(which is good for what it is, being to play Doom portable though).

Yeah, the map system is not the greatest but it's manageable. The game also really needs a digital manual or an in-game help database. The battle system is pretty complex and while the game does offer tutorials you only get to view them once. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on it now after reading a few articles online and that's definitely increased my enjoyment of the game.
I found GameSpot's video pretty helpful, maybe some others will too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujP5EB8aVQ

I'd honestly rather have a remake that fixes the battle system in Xenosaga 1-3. It's so god damned slow and boring. Hopefully they at the very least include a speed up toggle for battle in it. Otherwise I'm not sure I'll ever replay it.

I played the original with cheat codes to speed up the battle system and the slow ass movement for dungeons.

How is the last Digimon world? With it going on sale I'm tempted to pick it up but I've heard it takes hardcore planning and potential spreadsheets to play properly and I just don't have time for that kinda crap :/

I found GameSpot's video pretty helpful, maybe some others will too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujP5EB8aVQ
I read the article below if anybody would prefer a text guide instead of video. One tip not in that guide is to buy some musical instruments for your pouches that will charge your specials faster thus allowing you to combo more easily.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6369-xenoblade-chronicles-2-combat-battle-system-guide-combat-strategy-tips-and-tricks-for-surviving-in-alrest

Yeah, definitely agree about the map, how could they not include a dedicated one? And it's rather odd that there's no digital manual or in game tutorial archive or guide. You even have to buy tips on how to play in game. Really an odd decision.

There's other things I could go on about, but I'm still enjoying it, so I guess in the end that's what counts.

So... how is XBC2 holding up? Seems there have been some interesting points/counter points floating around. If I did not like XBC1 or XBCX is 2 worth a look? I do love JRPGs and all the troupes that go along with it but I also do not appreciate poor design choices and things wasting my time because "lolz it's a jrpg that's why". 

So... how is XBC2 holding up? Seems there have been some interesting points/counter points floating around. If I did not like XBC1 or XBCX is 2 worth a look? I do love JRPGs and all the troupes that go along with it but I also do not appreciate poor design choices and things wasting my time because "lolz it's a jrpg that's why".
If you didn't enjoy either of the previous titles run, don't walk, away from this one.

I'll wait for it to go down...maybe people are more excited for PS3 titles coming to PS4 (I know this will be gorgeous), but for myself, I like to wait for price drops.
Oh definitely, just kind of shocking given it launched at 49.99 on the PS3 back in August of 2013.

Shantae's final DLC is releasing within the next couple weeks. So below is the trailer for the DLC. It should be cannon that takes place during the main story. Also Iconoclasts received a release date of January 23rd. It's from the developer of Noitu Love. It looks like it'll be a fun metroidvania and it'll release on PS4/Vita along side the PC release.

[customspoiler='Shantae: Half Genie Hero - Friends to the End']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrtfsGYBviE[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Iconoclasts Launch Date Trailer (January 23rd)']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YotsyXxRNw[/customspoiler]

bread's done
Back