Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
FFXV is a dumpster fire I wanted to get around to playing eventually. Bought it shortly after launch with the season pass because my now closed Best Buy had that beanie hat bundle on clearance. Figured I would play it after some patching and they three dlc stories were released to get the "complete" experience vs. replaying the thing multiple times. Now I read they are releasing more stuff to it in a royal edition as well as all but confirming a season 2 pass for more stuff. Good on them for including the season pass content in the royal edition but sucks for those who bought the game and s:p as it will still be another $20 for them. At this rate, I'll give it a shot as soon as Star Citizens is in release candidate state.
I spent $275 on FF15. Where are my season passes?

fuck you, SquareEnix.

I won't buy FFXV again unless it has an alternate ending.

Yeah, I know Episode Ignis has one (and I actually like it better than the original btw) but I want one not based on a side story that everyone immediately dismisses as non-canon.

/EndRant

Is anyone even still playing this? Every time I see something new about it, I'm reminded about how disappointing and awful the game was. Still baffled by all the high review scores it got when it came out. At least PC players can now experience this garbage in 4K.
I played the game shortly after release and didn't like it.

With each DLC, they make some good improvements. The character DLCs are legitimately good (minus Prompto's snowmobile shit). The boss fights are really fun and provide a good challenge. I haven't gotten around to Ignus or Comrades yet, but they're on my shortlist. They'll never fix the large, dead open world though. Maybe I have a skewed opinion, but I think it's inherent to most open world games (I felt the same way about BotW).

I understand development cycle times and that they needed to put something out after so many years in development, but at the very least I wish they would've implemented switching characters in the original (base) release. The game as it stands now is much better than it was on release, but it's still my second least favorite FF game out of the seven I've played.

So has there been clarification on what the $20 consists of? Because if it's just the new content and I still have to buy the season pass then it'll be cheaper to just buy the royal edition... Which I'll wait until it's on sale and then yeah. But if they're making the season pass part of that $20 upgrade then I will absolutely bite on that.

Unlike seemingly most people here, I really thoroughly enjoyed FFXV. I thought the characters were all great, really well written and felt like a true group of friends. The overarching story could have been better but overall I thought it was a really solid entry (I played through the story post patches and chapter 13 fix). Have wanted to go back for the episodes but have been waiting for something like this. Some of the new features seem pretty cool as well. Monster truck and boat? Yes please.

So has there been clarification on what the $20 consists of? Because if it's just the new content and I still have to buy the season pass then it'll be cheaper to just buy the royal edition... Which I'll wait until it's on sale and then yeah. But if they're making the season pass part of that $20 upgrade then I will absolutely bite on that.

Unlike seemingly most people here, I really thoroughly enjoyed FFXV. I thought the characters were all great, really well written and felt like a true group of friends. The overarching story could have been better but overall I thought it was a really solid entry (I played through the story post patches and chapter 13 fix). Have wanted to go back for the episodes but have been waiting for something like this. Some of the new features seem pretty cool as well. Monster truck and boat? Yes please.
From what it seems, the $20 should just be the new stuff without the season pass content. It would be stupid to include it since the season pass alone is $25. So it would probably be in your best interest to just buy the royal edition.

However for a sucker like me that bought the Ultimate, Deluxe, and season pass, yea, I probably have to purchase it separately.

While I have yet to play the actual game (minus the Ass Creed and Moogle/Chocobo events), it was enjoyable for me. There's always a love/hate relationship with these games. Kind of like the FFXIII series. Generally speaking, you either liked it or you don't.

Here is the full list of features, via Square Enix:

• Expanded Map: Insomnia City Ruins – all-new side quests and enemies such as Cerberus and Omega will be available through the expanded map of the Crown City of Insomnia. Players will also take on the Rulers of Yore.
  • A fully-controllable Royal Vessel boat, expanding the world of Eos and allowing players to explore the area between Cape Caem and Altissia. Players will also be able to fish aboard the vessel and discover new fishes and dishes.
  • A new accessory that can activate the new action “Armiger Unleashed” – players will be able to unleash powerful attacks while the Armiger is summoned. After collecting all of the royal arms, players will be able to find an accessory in an unidentified part of the world, enabling access to Armiger Unleashed.
  • A new first-person camera mode, allowing players to experience the game from Noctis’ perspective.
  • More than a dozen pieces of downloadable content including weapons, Regalia car skins and item sets
  • All season pass content including Episode Gladiolus, Episode Prompto, Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades, and Episode Ignis
  • Archive – players can review the “Cosmogony” stories scattered throughout the Final Fantasy XV world. Additional local myths and legends will also be placed in various new locations, allowing players to obtain more information about the world.
  • Quest to obtain and Strengthen Regalia Type-D
  • New Trophies
  • The Final Fantasy XV base game
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/01/final-fantasy-xv-royal-edition-announced-launches-alongside-windows-edition-march-6#46jDZxERDVHlhSqz.99

So in short if you bought the season pass, joke's on you as it will still run $20. If you did not buy the season pass... well it is still $20 to get the upgrade for the base game. 

^ But that's the full package though.

For existing Final Fantasy XV owners, a “Final Fantasy XV Royal Pack,” which includes "the new" downloadable content in Final Fantasy Fantasy XV Royal Edition, will also be available on March 6 for $19.99.

I won't buy FFXV again unless it has an alternate ending.

Yeah, I know Episode Ignis has one (and I actually like it better than the original btw) but I want one not based on a side story that everyone immediately dismisses as non-canon.

/EndRant
Yeah I agree, the story/ending was kinda disappointing to me. I mean I appreciate them doing a lot to fix the mundane gameplay, which was a huge complaint, and it seems they've added a lot of variety now which is nice.

But unless a certain event doesn't happen after chapter 9, I can't see myself going back to the same story. If they wind up going into depth on the more interesting side character's backstories, like they said they would do for Aranea, then I'll reconsider it.

I was also one of the ones to spend over $300 on FFXV UCE, my most expensive game bought to date.

^ But that's the full package though.

For existing Final Fantasy XV owners, a “Final Fantasy XV Royal Pack,” which includes "the new" downloadable content in Final Fantasy Fantasy XV Royal Edition, will also be available on March 6 for $19.99.
Ah yes I see that now and posts at other places seem to say it is just an upgrade with the new content, though even that seems to be conflicting on how much depending on where you go. Soooo I guess the only constant is the $20 and thanks for supporting this half finished game. It also seems to not make much sense if the Royal edition costs $50 whole banana but then have folks with the regular edition, the season pass and R:E upgrade as stand alone updates. In short... they're pulling an Ubisoft with how they are handling this update and pricing strategy.

Playing FF-XII: Zodiac Age has reminded me of what I used to enjoy about FF games and how far things went off course with the whole Crystal Novalis nonsense. I just hope FF XVI is a complete game with coherent in game story telling, a cast that does not look like a reject boy band troupe or anything close to resembling Lighting, and have mostly symmetrical clothes. I would also settle for DLC side stuff if the actually integrate it into the main game. So.... pretty much Bravely Default without the second act.

so i was curious about sfv arcade and found out it's just the vanilla disc with season 1 & 2 dlc on a paper code.
It also doesn't include the dlc stages or all the S1&2 costumes.
Plus i believe the dlc can't be game shared.

:(

so when's that snk heroines game out ?

so i was curious about sfv arcade and found out it's just the vanilla disc with season 1 & 2 dlc on a paper code.
It also doesn't include the dlc stages or all the S1&2 costumes.
Plus i believe the dlc can't be game shared.

:(

so when's that snk heroines game out ?
haha well that just went from a 'Buy' to a 'nope!' for me. Thanks for the info.

Gal*Gun 2 Gets Cheeky “Free Hugs” Limited Edition For PS4 and Switch

gal-gun-2.jpg

Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation’s New Girl Luna Revealed With Plenty of Screenshots on Famitsu

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker’s Memory Details Characters and Premise in Story Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5PubL30Rc

Valkyria Chronicles 4’s New Screenshots and Info Are all About the Tanks on Famitsu

Assault Gunners HD Edition rated in Australia

Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura sales top 50,000

Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura – Murasaki DLC footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYVS7Tr6j6w

Thoughts on Gal*Gun 2 PS4 vs Switch? I don't think any actual information has been released has it?

I'm guessing maybe motion controls for Switch and hopefully a performance/visual delta that isn't too huge

Seems like Nintendo is going to announce something at 5PM Eastern today during their usual Direct time. Kind of surprised nobody here has mentioned it yet. A bit weird that it has only been mentioned on the UK (and JP) site so far though.

Well, [customspoiler='time to prepare to get gutted']
smpxav7.gif
[/customspoiler] in some way or another, good or bad. Wonder if it'll be something digital that they'll end up killing off after a few years like quite a few other things they've done before.

Seems like Nintendo is going to announce something at 5PM Eastern today during their usual Direct time. Kind of surprised nobody here has mentioned it yet. A bit weird that it has only been mentioned on the UK site so far though. Could be UK only too, which would be a little unexpected.
I actually really hope it's a fishing reel that replaces the right joycon. The 3DS attachment of it was just announced, and it'd be a really neat and clean solution to have custom joycon controllers for different games.

Think Golden Tee roller controller for golf, or a mini transmission shifter for racing games.

I'd be all for joycon attachments like that (gear shifter, fishing reel, etc.). It's kind of gimmicky but I could see it being fun.

Of course, only if it opens the door for a Gamecube control-like attachment :p

Seeing that Persona Dancing Triple Bundle reminds me that P4DAN is also getting a PS4 version.

Not sure why I completely forgot about that.

Mangagamer 2018 Licensing survey. They actually released my requested ones (Dal Segno and Imouto Paradise 2), so they listen.

Link

You better believe I asked for at least the other part of Da Capo 3.

Official Site

Prices are rather steep and it being cardboard, even if it's quality cardboard, will degrade over time. With the market targeted being mostly kids, I can't imagine these will keep very well. Interesting concept otherwise though. They need ways to replace the cardboard cheaply, otherwise I don't think this will take off in the long run.
Yeah, I would have expected a single software title that can be used with any number of kits sold for $10-$20, but it looks like each kit has it's own software.

Maybe the software can be used with any kit through a download and the cheaper add-on kits are coming later and these are essentially just the starter sets?

I probably would have loved this as a kid, but I would have also thought that the point of the cardboard would be to make it cheap, which this doesn't appear to be.

All I was thinking during that Nintendo Labo trailer is that cardboard stuff will not last long (get crushed) or will get lost in my house....

All I was thinking during that Nintendo Labo trailer is that cardboard stuff will not last long (get crushed) or will get lost in my house....
My sentiment exactly!

What would be really cool though is if you could design your own papercraft models with the software (with some constraints of course) and then it would create a template for you to cut up your own cardboard. But, I dont have a Switch anyway so it's all a moot point.

I'd be all for joycon attachments like that (gear shifter, fishing reel, etc.). It's kind of gimmicky but I could see it being fun.

Of course, only if it opens the door for a Gamecube control-like attachment :p
I’m not sure if they patched it, but firmware version 4.0 allowed you to use the Wii U GameCube adapter on your switch. I was able to hookup a couple wavebirds and play Mario Kart 8.

Just curious but did anyone else get that email from Sony detailing how much time they've spent playing games over the course of the year? I wanna see how I stack up to others, and who played the most niche games here.

lr4XL0I.png

N0WALXw.png

Also, that Nintendo cardboard thing is pretty smart of them, I can see them getting worn down pretty quickly, so people might buy it again and again to replace them. But the ones using rubberbands and having moving parts might be too complicated.

Just curious but did anyone else get that email from Sony detailing how much time they've spent playing games over the course of the year? I wanna see how I stack up to others, and who played the most niche games here.

Also, that Nintendo cardboard thing is pretty smart of them, I can see them getting worn down pretty quickly, so people might buy it again and again to replace them. But the ones using rubberbands and having moving parts might be too complicated.
648 Hours, 25 Games. Most hours:

1. Tales of Zestiria - 181
  2. Berserk and the Band of the Hawk - 78
  3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 44

Since Netflix and Amazon Video don't count, they apparently decided not to send me one. Unless the emails are staggered batches. There was probably a minimum requirement of 500+ hours or something.

920 hours

23 games

1. Persona 5 - 170 hours

2. Tales of Berseria - 99 hours

3. Dragon Quest Heroes II - 95 hours

502 trophies

gquasmh.png

K6ha0LG.png

qEAFaom.png

Never thought I'd have played more Yakuza 0 than Persona 5, yet here it is lol. Then again once you beat P5 that's it, you either NG+ or ya don't - and while I adore the game I can't handle starting another game yet, it took so long to beat haha. Y0 I did a bunch of Premium Adventure, all I have left to do is replay on max difficulty for the plat (my first and probably only ever Yakuza plat).

You can see more details if you click on the email.

2005 hours over 42 games

1) Final Fantasy 14 - 809 hours

2) Battlefield 1 - 134 hours

3) Overwatch - 123 hours

628 trophies

The new FF14 expansion is really where all my hours went.

bread's done
Back