Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Super bummed that Steins;Gate Elite won't be dubbed. The dub is brilliant, and that's how I'm used to hearing these characters. This looks like a great mix of the VN and the anime, so I was really hoping this 'ultimate' version would be dubbed. :/

We are not getting them. Spike Chunsoft only announced PS4/PC release
Dang, that sucks. I’m ok with Zanki Zero being PS4 only, but that’s pretty disappointing about Robotics Notes. I’m not much of a fan of Visual Novels on the PS4.

So, I went to update the payment method on my upcoming NISA online store preorders since they allowed a security breach and my card was compromised, and I can't find their customer service phone number listed anywhere.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they removed it recently (possibly as a result of the credit card breach and the influx of calls they would be getting).  Now it looks like my main option is to contact them via email and from my past experience that is not a good option (I've previously sent 3 emails to their customer service department over the last few years, never received a response back for any of them).  Even glancing at their Facebook page now I see people complaining that they are still not responding to emails. 

So, does anyone have a valid customer service phone number for them? 

So, I went to update the payment method on my upcoming NISA online store preorders since they allowed a security breach and my card was compromised, and I can't find their customer service phone number listed anywhere. In fact, I'm pretty sure they removed it recently (possibly as a result of the credit card breach and the influx of calls they would be getting). Now it looks like my main option is to contact them via email and from my past experience that is not a good option (I've previously sent 3 emails to their customer service department over the last few years, never received a response back for any of them). Even glancing at their Facebook page now I see people complaining that they are still not responding to emails.

So, does anyone have a valid customer service phone number for them?
I have had to proactively send payment via Paypal as each order comes due as they told me they won't do a mass revision of the payment method. It's really annoying considering that their failure to protect customers resulted in two of my credit cards being compromised, both of which were used for preorders on their site.

Too bad they're not including the original graphics with Steins;Gate Elite, I prefer them to the anime and would be nice to have on PS4 to go along with 0 and Robotic;Notes.

I have had to proactively send payment via Paypal as each order comes due as they told me they won't do a mass revision of the payment method. It's really annoying considering that their failure to protect customers resulted in two of my credit cards being compromised, both of which were used for preorders on their site.
Yeah, I dodge the bullet on this one, as I normally have tons of new and outstanding orders with NISA. Since moving over to the NS, they have pretty much dropped the Vita, so they haven't had anything for me to order otherwise I would have gotten boned as well. And that would have sucked, as about a year ago, my debit card had an issue, and I had to get a new one. I still don't know where the breach came from on that one, so for sure I'm not looking to change info and cards again.

Hyped about Fire Pro Wrestling World finally coming to PS4. Played the Saturn and Dreamcast versions a ton back in the day. I'm also holding out hope that someday there'll be another King of Colosseum.

Did anyone import the European Ni No Kuni 2 Kings Edition for PC? I'm wondering if I'd have any issues using the Steam key in the U.S.

Did anyone import the European Ni No Kuni 2 Kings Edition for PC? I'm wondering if I'd have any issues using the Steam key in the U.S.
I was always under the impression Steam Keys where universal, and didn't have "regions" like consoles. But since I don't have a Steam account, I was never able to confirm that or not.

I was always under the impression Steam Keys where universal, and didn't have "regions" like consoles. But since I don't have a Steam account, I was never able to confirm that or not.
It used to be like that, but regions that tend to be cheaper are now walled off from being able to redeem their keys in other regions. I believe there are still ways around that, however, if caught doing this frequently you can get your account banned I believe.

As for UK/FR/DE redeeming in the US region, there shouldn't be an issue but I cannot guarantee it. I've redeemed a couple UK keys without any issue, but that can vary from game to game even though it usually doesn't. On the other hand I've given a friend of mine some US keys and he can't redeem them in the JP region whereas most others work just fine.

It used to be like that, but regions that tend to be cheaper are now walled off from being able to redeem their keys in other regions. I believe there are still ways around that, however, if caught doing this frequently you can get your account banned I believe.

As for UK/FR/DE redeeming in the US region, there shouldn't be an issue but I cannot guarantee it. I've redeemed a couple UK keys without any issue, but that can vary from game to game even though it usually doesn't. On the other hand I've given a friend of mine some US keys and he can't redeem them in the JP region whereas most others work just fine.
That's good to know, as anytime I sold a key online, I made a point to state make sure you can use before purchase, as I never knew 100% or not. Sadly, trying to sell those keys are it's own set of problems, least of which is if it would have worked. Damn, Ebay sucks!

Here is some information on Mangagamer releases that happened recently and a new Eroge VN translation patch:

Funbag Fantasy: Sideboob Story is out next week 03/29/2018 and is 10% off for now. Mangagamer is having Visa processing issues, which hopefully will be fixed soon....I want this game badly!

Mangagamer (NSFW 18+)

VNDB (NSFW 18+)

Detective Masochist 2 - The Case of the Tortured Servant is out as well. Looks weird but OK enough.

Mangagamer (NSFW 18+)

VNDB (NSFW 18+)

Analistica Academy is also out. This isn't too my liking at all. Close minded man in this one ;)!

Mangagamer (NSFW 18+)
VNDB (NSFW 18+)

His Chuunibyou Cannot Be Cured! is out of early access with full voice and 18+ so far only on Mangagamer. Hopefully there is a patch since I own this one on Steam.

Mangagamer (NSFW 18+)
Steam
VNDB

Last but not least Tsujidou-san no Jun’ai Road now has a 100% English translation patch. This looks excellent and looks comparable to something like Majikoi or something.

VNDB (NSFW 18+)

Forgot to pre-write this, so I'm skipping checking last weeks missed titles. I blame Ni no Kuni II for that. This week has a fair amount of releases, Visual Novels in particular.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- N/A

Weekly Releases (March 25th - March 31st)

The Alliance Alive
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Completing the demo gives you bonuses starting out in the full game.

Fire Emblem Warriors: Awakening Pack (DLC)
- Platform(s): 3DS, Switch
- Genre: Musou / Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: Contains the characters Owain, Tharja & Olivia.

Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, PC
- Demo: N/A

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action RPG

Of Mice and Sand: Revised
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Simulation / Strategy
- Comments: Previously released on the 3DS & Switch.

Code:Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome
- Comments: Contains both ~Guardian of Rebirth~ and the fan disc ~Future Blessings~

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Previously released on Xbox One & PC. Good game, but short.

Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome
- Comments: Fan disc. Takes place after ~Guardian of Rebirth~.

TENGAI
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: SHMUP
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Digital only. Old port.

CROSS†CHANNEL: Steam Edition
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel

Sudoku Zenkai
- Genre: Puzzle
- Online: Yes.

Long Gone Days
- Platform(s):
- Genre: Visual Novel / RPG / Early Access
- Comments: Possibly Russian Dev.

Garrison: Archangel
- Platform(s):
- Genre: Action / VS / Early Access
- Online: Yes.

Oakwood Academy of Spells and Sorcery

Ramen
- Genre: Simulation
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Analistica Academy
- Comments: Supposedly no cut content? Either that or 18+ Patch is free.

Fureraba ~Friend to Lover~

Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy

Fatal Twelve
- Comments: Sekai Project published.

Maidens of a Hollow Dream / 虚夢の乙女
- Comments: Wat.

Luminescence

VR Kanojo / VRカノジョ
- Platform(s): PC VR
- Genre: Simulation
- Comments: Japanese language only.

摩尼遊戯TOKOYO
- Comments: Japanese language only.

Past Releases
March 18th - March 24th
March 11th - March 17th
March 4th - March 10th
February 25th - March 3rd
February 18th - February 24th

Atelier Lydie & Suelle will probably have a bonus edition available for the first week digitally. It's also going to have a DLC season pass.

I will say Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road is a lot like Majikoi in a way, except instead of fighting and being and the strongest, it's delinquents and being the strongest. I pretty much only have 1 more route, but wow was that last route weak sauce. I believe there are only 3 routes maybe....so not as much here, but the routes are pretty long regardless. They really could have used about 2 more characters, which they of course did with the fan disc. So far this is a good 7/10, but no where near as good as Majikoi/Majikoi sequel....likely Majikoi fan discs as well

Ugg i'm getting bored of Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road. I think i'm dropping it before finishing this route. It's really repetitive in its story structure. They don't explain enough of the back story of some things too. I can see why in the translation notes they say they weren't feeling the game too much near the end. It just doesn't feel that great, and though the 3 characters are different, the same basic undertones are in the back of all the stories. I think the visuals are excellent, with the music being very meh, and the voice acting being great. Just a bit disappointed, but my time with this ends here. I'll downgrade to a 6/10.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBDIZCf92u8[/media]

Day 1

11 people did this.
Looks like the perfect blend of Devil May Cry, God of War, and Nier. All they need now is a good story and to polish it a little and it'll be amazing. I kinda wish they had a female protagonist though.

Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~  isn't digital only Draekon, it also has a retail release stateside, and I can see it over Amazon and Gamestop, for example.

After Sophie I said I'm done with Atelier for a while, then I got Firis and said the same thing after that, and now here I am thinking about getting the new one on Switch.

Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~ isn't digital only Draekon, it also has a retail release stateside, and I can see it over Amazon and Gamestop, for example.
That's what I get for going through it quicker than usual and using PSBlog as a quick glance on whats physical/digital on Playstation.

Lydie and Suelle Switch LE came in. It had shipped on the 23rd but tracking wasn't posted to my account until after it had already been delivered.

I wasn't expecting it so soon and was trying to do a Firis NG+ on PS4 to get my use out of it. The drop in graphical quality was quite noticeable but expected. The A/B buttons do what they're actually supposed to do unlike Nights of Azure so no more B to confirm.

My Atelier Lydie arrived today as well. I just got an email from them today that said the order was fulfilled. I was a bit confused since I didn't get an original email saying it had shipped. I checked the tracking number in the email and it turned out the game was delivered today. 

Well done on the quick shipping, NISA  ;)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=FTd8xr9y5ig[/media]

June 22nd yall

PS4 and PC

Lydie and Suelle is up on Steam 10% launch discount.

I was hoping for the GreenManGaming $49.99 price mistake topped with a 10% off code but this works.

The DLC packs aren't baked in either.

I was hoping for the GreenManGaming $49.99 price mistake topped with a 10% off code but this works.

thats why i am not a fan of that series, not bad games but even when the release comp packs they never contain the dlc, would like if they are going to release older or even new titles to eventually contain all in one packs or somethin

Free weekly PSN junk:

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2

PS4

- Bee Staff

- Lawless Hammer

- Nihilist Spear

- Orochi Staff

- Prophet's Lance

- Red Lotus Sword

- Sacrifice Spear

- Sparkling Hammer

Ni no Kuni II

PS4

- Sharefactory Theme

Weekly Sale: PS+ Specials

Looks like that Atelier Lydie & Suelle Theme that was posted in the latter half of last week is no longer up. It seems that it was a Suelle theme, which is one of the two themes that only come with the digital edition of the game. They may be available to purchase after April 23rd as well.

thats why i am not a fan of that series, not bad games but even when the release comp packs they never contain the dlc, would like if they are going to release older or even new titles to eventually contain all in one packs or somethin
Hopefully the series takes a year off after this. I do enjoy the Atelier games, but one per year is a bit much.

I was hoping for it to show on GMG too. Oh well.

Here's a release schedule for the DLC on steam(should also correspond to western PS4 and Switch releases).

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201803270041/

Planning to get the character DLC at least. Maybe the costumes if they look good or have some function besides appearance like they did in Firis. The season pass doesn't look like a very good value proposition. Adding up the DLC separately it came out to 8900yen, and the season pass costs 8800yen.

bread's done
Back