Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the fuck not!? We get tons of these mostly mediocre, sometimes good, modern Sonic games. Why can't we have a sequel to the retro Sonic title that saw universal praise and acclaim?
LOL, I think you answered your own question, as your right in saying this was the best Sonic game in who knows how long? What are the chances they make another good Sonic Mania game? Them deciding not to make another turd, after finally making a great game shows they may be finally learning from past mistakes. We don't need another game turned out with little to no thought invested. I'm all for a sequel, but only when they have something worth a damn to offer.

About Sonic: It doesn't surprise me that the company that is known for making poor decisions with a franchise continues to make said poor decisions, at least to when it comes to quality of releases. Now when it comes to Sonic quality =/= sales. It makes no difference how good the game is because Sonic fans will buy it regardless. I do kind of wonder though if the lack of willingness for a sequel is perhaps the japanese devs disliking the praise the western developer of mania got over their works. The west vs. east has always been an issue in the past when it comes to sonic dev teams.

And regarding TLoH: It's dissapointing that they never released Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki in the west. And even if they did they would probably not be physical. :(

And regarding TLoH: It's dissapointing that they never released Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki in the west. And even if they did they would probably not be physical. :(
It's because they're PSP games, which means it's really too late to release them. Their Vita versions have too much licensing shit behind them to make it worth it due to the amount of translation work you have to do. Putting them out on the PC isn't really viable either since the ports were created by a Chinese company unlike the Sky trilogy and the PC sales alone aren't really enough to support translating it and creating a port.

So you'll have to wait for the fan translation. The editing on Zero was at 60% back in late February and they seem to be going at least 5% increments per month, which means they should be around 70% now if pace continued. Ao on the other hand has been 'translated' and is being worked on for a quick once over edit to remove any potential stupid shit that would create memes and the like. This was due to the translation leak (pre-editing) on Zero that created a bunch of memes which some people used to go through the game. Ao will get a proper editing phase, but that's not until after work on Zero has finished. Hopefully that releases prior to Cold Steel III here.

There's also of course the possibility of Falcom porting it to the PS4 or Switch down the road as well, which would increase chances of it getting a port. However with the fan translation out there, it decreases the chances of XSeed bringing it over (Hatsu's words, not mine).

Also, I'd stay away from any Cold Steel IV info because a lot of it likely spoils shit in Cold Steel III.

Watch the original anime and you should be good to go. The anime that covered the mask of deception was kinda missing some plot points near the end.
The recent anime covering Mask of Deception I believe completely changes the entire ending segment to where if you started up Mask of Truth, you'd have no idea what the hell was going on.

But yeah, it's definitely recommended to watch the original Utawarerumono anime from the mid-2000's. It adds a lot of backstory and ties in very closely to a lot of the events in the game as well as the ending of Mask of Truth specifically.

Highly recommend Mask of Deception/Truth. It can be slow between battles, but the story is pretty good and the characters grow really well over the two games. You just need to not hate 'Slice of Life' stuff as you get a lot of it, but quite a bit of it adds to the world/characters.

Here's my thoughts on the games that I wrote up last year.

Disgaea 5 PC delayed indefinitely

Scheduled release date has changed to Summer 2018 just 5 days before the original expected release date. They say it's due to newly "discovered bugs". But after we've seen how the Ys port was handled, I wouldn't hold out any hopes for this release.

Square-Enix online store is having their own Golden Week sale. Most of these are not new prices but Star Ocean 4 PC is at the lowest it's been yet.

Play-asia is having a miscellaneous weekly sale that includes Atelier Firis(PS4) for $24.

Btw, Bullet Girls Phantasia has been pushed back to Q2 2018 release date. I haven't seen a single trailer for that game since it's initial announcement so who knows what's going on there.

Play-asia is having a miscellaneous weekly sale that includes Atelier Firis(PS4) for $24.
Btw, Bullet Girls Phantasia has been pushed back to Q2 2018 release date. I haven't seen a single trailer for that game since it's initial announcement so who knows what's going on there.
I think the gun gun pixies game was supposed to get released in the west too but it was released in jp awhile ago so I don't think it will anymore either.

Pretty much physical vita games outside limited releases are all dead.

I don’t think I’ve read a single truly positive impression of the game yet. Sounds like an easy pass.
I enjoyed it for the most part. The side quests are almost all boring fetch quests, the story is a bit too cheesy for my tastes and some of the things required for trophies are tedious but I don't regret the 70+ hours I spent getting the Platinum.

I don’t think I’ve read a single truly positive impression of the game yet. Sounds like an easy pass.
It’s not a life altering game by any means but I really do enjoy the insanely bubbly colorful art, the feel good cheesy story, city building, and character collecting. Honestly, I think it’s a bunch of fun. Whether or not it’s $32/$40 is debatable for most. But I will say that I bought it at $80 and I’m waiting happily for the dlc to roll in.

It's a great game, it's just different. NNK2 is pretty easy, and it's also youthfully exuberant, so sweet and tender that it's almost scary. It's reminiscent of a younger more innocent type of Dragon Quest game, but with a Tales battle system. The presentation and lightheartedness closely reflects what you'd expect from a console DQ game, but it has more of a Studio Ghibli art style presentation. NNK2 is also like a Suikoden game in that you travel the world recruiting all sorts of citizens, not for your battle party, but to create your kingdom. The micromanagement of building your own kingdom is fun and feels rewarding.

NNK2 is not your typical JRPG. There is no satisfaction in the combat or the difficulty, but the battles are quick. It has a pretty surprising amount of varied gameplay. It's a lighthearted RPG where you take it easy, explore the world, and enjoy the music and the presentation. The main appeal is the art direction and the atmosphere; the game is very relaxing. It feels very much like a sweet Ghilbli movie. The way you feel about those movies is probably the way you'll feel about NNK2.

fragile is the only thing like grave of the pyreflies

As for the games being like movies no they are nothing like them.  If you go in with that frame of mind you will be disappointed.  Don't know why people have to compare them constantly when ghilbli sp? only worked on some of the art for the first game.

The Dragon Quest footage makes me almost forget about getting Ni No Kuni 2 unless its dirt cheap, which it looks like its heading for in the next couple months.

Dragon Quest looks like a god damn life changing experience lol. I have been waiting for a 'proper' follow up to DQVIII since I was 14 (I'm a ball hair off of 28 now). It took a long time--too long--but I'm so glad that this exists now, and we are getting it.

Dragon Quest looks like a god damn life changing experience lol. I have been waiting for a 'proper' follow up to DQVIII since I was 14 (I'm a ball hair off of 28 now). It took a long time--too long--but I'm so glad that this exists now, and we are getting it.
Hell yeah man. It has been an eternity since we had a television console Dragon Quest game. I'm really excited about it too. The PS4 has been such a saving grace. I really hope Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 comes to PS4 in the west, too.

Hell yeah man. It has been an eternity since we had a television console Dragon Quest game. I'm really excited about it too. The PS4 has been such a saving grace. I really hope Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 comes to PS4 in the west, too.
As do I. Would be nice to have all Cold Steel games on one console. I think that they will.

We do at least have the very, very good PC ports of ToCS 1/2. Xseed had Durante help them with the porting process, so those are great versions. We don't have updated assets or anything for them, but at least a great PC port with nice options and viable 60 FPS options.

As do I. Would be nice to have all Cold Steel games on one console. I think that they will.
Chances are pretty good I think. Pretty sure Falcom did the port, so it doesn't have any extra licensing bullshit attached to it. The only thing I'd hope for with it would be that it gets the extra voiced lines that the PC version has. The Japanese PS4 version did not receive new lines, so it's hard to say whether or not XSeed will be able to pull it off as Falcom would likely need to add the voice hooks for them if they aren't already there.

I believe XSeed has a PS4/PC RPG that will be announced at E3, which could very well be Cold Steel III. There's a possibility of Cold Steel I & II PS4 ports being announced there, but there haven't been any indications for it.

We do at least have the very, very good PC ports of ToCS 1/2. Xseed had Durante help them with the porting process, so those are great versions. We don't have updated assets or anything for them, but at least a great PC port with nice options and viable 60 FPS options.
This is true. I have TitS 1 & 2 on Steam already, and I'm hoping they add ToCS 1 to one of the Humble Monthlies pretty soon here. I was planning on playing them on my living room TV using the steam link over wi-fi 30ft from my PC, but I'm still hoping to play them all on Playstation too. It would be cool to have some trophies and some physical copies.

Does anyone know or think the Xenogears Revival album will be on sale anywhere else? Really don't wanna pay SE Store's insane shipping costs.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/467415/xenogears-original-soundtrack-revival-disc-the-first-and-the-last-blu-ray-music-disc

There's a listing on Amazon but it's priced even higher.
Is it this one? I can't really check throughly since I'm on mobile.

Total is around $51 with S&H. Shipping is really quick from Amazon.jp as well.

Chances are pretty good I think. Pretty sure Falcom did the port, so it doesn't have any extra licensing bullshit attached to it. The only thing I'd hope for with it would be that it gets the extra voiced lines that the PC version has. The Japanese PS4 version did not receive new lines, so it's hard to say whether or not XSeed will be able to pull it off as Falcom would likely need to add the voice hooks for them if they aren't already there.

I believe XSeed has a PS4/PC RPG that will be announced at E3, which could very well be Cold Steel III. There's a possibility of Cold Steel I & II PS4 ports being announced there, but there haven't been any indications for it.
You know...Xseed's been pretty quiet these days. Wonder what they're up to. Someday I'd like for them to pick up the Crossbell arc.

Oh...yeah I've been quiet too. Ddi I miss much? Been busy with life and all...and got depressed when several weeks ago I was going to fire up my Switch for Xenoblade 2's New Game +...only to find out my Switch bricked itself on that Insignia dock. :whistle2:(

I did get around to finishing Ys VIII. Yeah the PC version is still sorta a dumpster fire. I think the game crashed on me like three dozen times. I was laughing because of the nostalgia I felt; you see we had an old Gateway 2000 computer back in the 90s that barely ran ANYTHING. Crashing was all but expected.

I did love the game...but maybe not as much as I thought I would when I fired the original JP Vita cartridge back in 2016. Towards the end of the game I sorta felt like the number of enemies on the fields were a tad much. Albeit, there's plenty of story context to go with that. Sometimes I sorta felt musou vibes. I actually busted a shoulder button on my XBOX One Elite controller! :lol:

The story was interesting up to the end where it's kinda like
Adol and Co. destroyed the world to save it. Maia the earth Goddess wakes up and goes like, well gee they broke the planet guess I'll just patch that up with Dana here. Though I was worried Dana would die but fortunately that didn't happen.

Now that that journey is done, time to retread Xenoblade 2's. Twice over. Oy.

Feel the same although I'm a "bit" older than you. Absolutely loved DQ VIII on the PS2 but couldn't get into IX mainly since it was on DS and I'm not that fond of playing games on handhelds, especially long RPGs. I'm going to feel like a kid on Christmas morning when I finally get to fire up DQ XI.

The talk of Trails of Cold Steel has me wanting to hook up the PS3 and finally finish off the first game so I can progress in the series.

did not think he was a girl they mit just be making a statement  " if  X event happened in dragon ball that is what they would look like, thu they should said son not daughter. "

http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Hero_(Dragon_Quest_XI) 

say it a guy on wiki 

He is a young man with blue eyes and brown chin-length hair in a bob cut. On his left hand, he bears a mysterious mark that has appeared since the day he was born. The mark glows when the hero is in danger. He wears a long, sleeveless brown and purple leather tunic over a black long-sleeved shirt, brown trousers, and tan leather boots. Around his waist, he wears a leather belt with a small bag attached and he carries a scabbard across his back.

You know...Xseed's been pretty quiet these days. Wonder what they're up to. Someday I'd like for them to pick up the Crossbell arc.

Oh...yeah I've been quiet too. Ddi I miss much?
Companies generally aren't announcing things right and left. XSeed has some stuff we know they're working on, so not saying anything isn't terribly big. You're probably more referring to Trails, but Falcom is pretty stingy in not letting localization companies do anything until after the Japanese version has been released. They may be waiting for E3 to announce anything related to it so it garners some press to try and boost knowledge that the series exists. If I were them, I'd announce Cold Steel III with the PS4 ports of Cold Steel I & II that would release before it.

And no, you haven't really missed much.

Na, I legit thought he was a girl.

DQXI-Parade-Vid_07-07-17.jpg

I wasn't sure where would be best to offer this, but here looks like it would find the best home.  $5 off $60 Play-Asia coupon code.  Expires July 14.  

HL-NAU-35E

I hope your Golden Week was filled with showers of gold.  :shock:

bread's done
Back