Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be fun... here, if you solve these riddles you can have my PSN 20% off code too.

Letter of the Persona game released on 3DS

Fairy Fencer _

The number of humans on the front and back of the Persona 5 Steelbook

First letter of the fruit that falls on Kat's head

Megadimension Neptunia _ (#)

First letter of the first name of the character in my avatar

First letter of the name of the Overwatch character that uses a bow

Street Fighter _ 3rd Strike (#)

Persona _ Golden

First letter of the name of Dante's gun that isn't Ivory

SENRAN-KAGURA-BURST-RENEWAL-TAILOR-MADE-LIMITE-EDITION-768x637.jpg

SENRAN-KAGURA-BURST-RENEWAL-AT-THE-SEAMS-LIMITED-EDITION-768x637.jpg

All content from the other edition, but with extra stands.
Too bad it's missing the artbook =/

Well, at least with the straps being the only difference I can skip the more expensive version.

Anyone who who still has GCU with bestbuy, don't make any mistakes. BB is looking for any and every reason to cancel peoples GCU discounts. I had until 2021 and my membership was abruptly canceled for buying more than 3 copies of a game recently, the first time I had done so in a very long time. In past years though I did it all the time (A LOT) with no repercussions at all lol so my point is they'll cut you at the drop of a hat these days. Just a heads up.

Damm that yakuza news title is confusing. I thought it meant the yakuza remasters were going to be the American censored versions, but in reality they are the Japanese full versions but won't be getting the "kiwami" treatment for bonus content.

Damm that yakuza news title is confusing. I thought it meant the yakuza remasters were going to be the American censored versions, but in reality they are the Japanese full versions but won't be getting the "kiwami" treatment for bonus content.
Is that what it means? I read the headline, then the article and was still confused. I know the US version still hasn't technically been announced but are they just going to up res the US version of the game then? Just confused how to make sense of it

I can't believe we're getting a Shaq-Fu game. Shaq has been adopted by the Chinese and is back for more in his new copyright evading Beat'em Up.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Kitsune Kitchen (Visual Novel / Parody)

Weekly Releases (June 3rd - June 9th)

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
- Platform(s): 3DS, Switch
- Genre: Puzzle / Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Aragami: Shadow Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Stealth
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Contains the base game, plus the new Nightfall story expansion.

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Demo: Yes
- Online: Yes

Riddled Corpses EX
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, XB1
- Genre: Twin-Stick Shooter
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC.

Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Strategy / Simulation
- Comments: Reviewed really poorly on Steam prior to the English localization.

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Beat'em Up

PlayStation 4 (Days of Play Edition)
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Hardware
- Comments: Limited edition console release.

Super Hydorah (Limited Run Games)
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: LRG Physical Release.

Slime-san: Superslime Edition (Limited Run Games)
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Contains all three major campaigns, exclusive levels and a couple other things.

Happy Birthdays
- Genre: Simulation / God
- Comments: A decent time waster. Previously released on PS4 & PC.

A Magical High School Girl
- Genre: Roguelike / RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

ACA NeoGeo: Riding Hero
- Genre: Racing
- Comments: Digital only.

Iro Hero
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: PC release date TBA.

Kadobat Wars!
- Genre: Cards / RPG
- Comments: Digital only.

Samurai Defender: Ninja Warfare
- Genre: Tower Defense
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on 3DS. Includes new levels and more.

The Banner Saga 2
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on 3DS, PS4, Vita, Switch & PC.

SG/ZH: School Girl/Zombie Hunter
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / Zombie / Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Previously released on PS4.

Hakoniwa Explorer Plus
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: AGM Playism Published

Ganbare! Super Strikers
- Genre: SRPG / Socccer

Football Girls: Dream Team
- Genre: Dating Sim? / Match 3

The Wilting Amaranth
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yuri?

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
- Genre: Roguelike / RPG
- Comments: Previously released on the Vita.

Past Releases
May 28th - June 2nd
May 20th - May 26th
May 13th - May 19th
May 6th - May 12th
April 29th - May 5th

You missed Vampyr, which comes out June 5th.
I didn't really overlook it. Do people want that on the list? Since I gather the list myself, I do some minor curation. As to why it wasn't added doesn't really matter, just whether people want me to add it to the list or not. There are some games in the past I've added that didn't belong, but I've largely left many off because I felt they didn't fit.

I really hope the next forum iteration works better for stuff like making a Wiki post so I can pull my weekly list from there like I used to before our Wiki broke.

I didn't really overlook it. Do people want that on the list? Since I gather the list myself, I do some minor curation. As to why it wasn't added doesn't really matter, just whether people want me to add it to the list or not. There are some games in the past I've added that didn't belong, but I've largely left many off because I felt they didn't fit.

I really hope the next forum iteration works better for stuff like making a Wiki post so I can pull my weekly list from there like I used to before our Wiki broke.
I wasn't aware you curated your list, I just assumed you put up whatever the major releases are for the week and happened to miss the one I mentioned. Nevermind then.

Draekon, FYI, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle does have a demo, but its for PS4 and Switch. (Regardless, it was already out in JP/Asia regions just a couple days ago, and its in full English right off the bat, its just the US will have to wait for theirs on Tuesday and EU/PAL regions on 6/22 with included Multi-5 [EFIGS] translation).

Also, remember that both Blake (which is forever free) and the DLC Character Pack 1 is free for 2 weeks on PS4/Switch, and 1 month on Steam, the steam version will also include the digital OST (15 tracks) and the Artbook that's included in the various physical LE's across the world. However, it will no longer be offered until after July 6th on steam for the DLC 1 Pack and the Artbook/OST. (Note: You'll have to buy the game first on steam, obviously, to get said bonuses.)

It's a Japanese Niche games thread. He doesn't just list every release. Vampyr is not a Japanese game.
Well to be fair, I've posted stuff that shouldn't have really been included like Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, among others. My self curation rules are usually:

1) Is it Asian developed? Include it.

2) If #1 isn't true, check against common Japanese game themes, genres and what not. If I think it fits well enough, include it.

3) Is it low effort or from a horrible publisher/dev? Don't include it, they don't deserve it. I have a small mental shitlist of devs/publishers, such as SakuraGame.

4) Is it an RPGMaker game or a Free to Play game? Don't include it.

5) Is it indie? I give it a little more leeway if it is so that they get some recognition.

6) I don't bother with non-English releases anymore. It's to bothersome.

No matter what I choose to do, it's a no-win situation for me should there be any criticism. So long as people aren't rude about it, I don't really care either way and will add in whatever is requested. It's really easy to miss stuff too since I have no easy way of getting info on a game. Everything has to be manually checked one at a time. This includes genres too as it's often generic ones listed aren't really descriptive.

Draekon, FYI, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle does have a demo, but its for PS4 and Switch. (Regardless, it was already out in JP/Asia regions just a couple days ago, and its in full English right off the bat, its just the US will have to wait for theirs on Tuesday and EU/PAL regions on 6/22 with included Multi-5 [EFIGS] translation).

Also, remember that both Blake (which is forever free) and the DLC Character Pack 1 is free for 2 weeks on PS4/Switch, and 1 month on Steam, the steam version will also include the digital OST (15 tracks) and the Artbook that's included in the various physical LE's across the world. However, it will no longer be offered until after July 6th on steam for the DLC 1 Pack and the Artbook/OST. (Note: You'll have to buy the game first on steam, obviously, to get said bonuses.)
Shoulda made all the Character Packs free for a week or 2 before charging. But thats just me

Some weekly VN news:

Kuroinu Ch.3 was released by Mangagamer. Not my type of game.

Their next release is Evenicle, an RPG/VN game by Alicesoft. It looks pretty fun, and is set to release on June 28th, 2018. I will be getting it for sure.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Denpasoft announced a new title I WALK AMONG ZOMBIES. Looks unique at least.

VNDB (NSFW)

Sekai Project's Kickstarter My Girlfriend is a Mermaid is 100% funded. Going to be on PC and Switch.

Kickstarter

VNDB

Shoulda made all the Character Packs free for a week or 2 before charging. But thats just me
Yeah, yeah, but then again, what wouldn't be the point of the complete DLC character bundle then? (Even though the JP/Asia LE's do include a product code for that. Or Digital Deluxe editions. Or a Asia only Physical Deluxe edition on PS4. But I get what you mean.)

Yeah, yeah, but then again, what wouldn't be the point of the complete DLC character bundle then? (Even though the JP/Asia LE's do include a product code for that. Or Digital Deluxe editions. Or a Asia only Physical Deluxe edition on PS4. But I get what you mean.)
The JPN LE has a DLC code for the Complete DLC Character Bundle and the NA one doesnt? Wow, wth

No matter what I choose to do, it's a no-win situation for me should there be any criticism. So long as people aren't rude about it, I don't really care either way and will add in whatever is requested. It's really easy to miss stuff too since I have no easy way of getting info on a game. Everything has to be manually checked one at a time. This includes genres too as it's often generic ones listed aren't really descriptive.
Thank you for your posts in this topic. I appreciate them, especially since genres as filters are so blurred these days. Your best judgement seems to work very well from my perspective, if it matters from a lurker.

-[Unknown]

Their next release is Evenicle, an RPG/VN game by Alicesoft. It looks pretty fun, and is set to release on June 28th, 2018. I will be getting it for sure.
I'm also pretty interested in this one. Especially since it's the Senran Kagura artist, this time doing the maximum lewd stuff (since it's an eroge).

Oh i thought the art for that looked familiar. I'm still finishing up Magical Marriage Lunatics (close to being done...2 more routes with 1 almost done), and Moimoro Closet (almost done with 2nd route....needed a few more...). Too many VNs in a short amount of time.

Metal Max Xeno Headed Westward In Fall 2018 For PlayStation 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K8vcAauY0
FYI, I read this "mini-review" of the game on Gematsu's article and it kind of lowered my expectations:

To be fair the very basic stuff that made Metal Max enjoyable is there and that is the vehicles but other than that this game is seriously... well shovelware quality. -_-;;

A lot of the stuff that made Metal Max... well Metal Max got removed and we got stuck with a simple on rails RPG with mind-numbingly boring dungeon crawling parts, simplistic battles and almost none of the wacky humor and free roam from the previous games.
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/metal-max-xeno-launches-september-25-in-north-america-september-28-in-europe#disqus_thread

Weekly free PSN junk:

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle

PS4

- Blake (Character)

- Character Pack 1 [Platinum, Kanji, Orie] (Free for 2 Weeks)

- Demo (Alt Link)

Final Fantasy XV

PS4

- Party Pack (COMRADES Exclusive)

NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Taishi

PS4

- Maiden CG Set: Princess Warriors

- 'Megohime' Officer Facial Graphic

- Nobunaga's Ambition Day 2018 (BGM)

- Scenario 'Nobunaga Besieged'

- Sokyu Imai Officer Data

Random Shit from Sony

PS4

- For All the Players Theme

Focus Home Interactive Sale

June PS+ Games

The sale isn't directly thread related, but it has a few games that may interest people here such as Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition or Shiness. I'm also seeing the first character pack in BlazBlue Cross Tag at a premium price and not free like it's supposed to be. If it changes and someone notes it, I'll edit it in. Finally it's the first Tuesday in June, so the PS+ games have been switched out.

I’m considering getting God Wars Switch from Nisa, but at 55 it doesn’t meet the raised shipping threshold of 70, so I’d have to pay 10 bucks to ship it. Any suggestions of what else to get to bring the total up?

bread's done
Back