Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will give better impressions after I finish all the routes, but after 1 route the game is very good and I love that in the routes all the characters play a part still. There isn't the I choose someone and all of a sudden the world is just us 2 after that. Lots of mystery, story, and the routes for me come in maybe 4-5 hours each, which is pretty long as I read relatively quickly. Happy nightmare is correct. This is shaping up to be a good VN, and I believe the ultimate route will be a very interesting and good one. 8.5/10 so far. 

Absolutely beautiful... I love those characters. They are very near and dear to my heart... I'm getting this for all systems when it comes out just to support those devs!
Said it before, will say it again: Drunk Kurisu or GTFO!

Still think it played out better as an anime than a game....

Just read about the Maverick names in X5 being restored to their original names instead of the Guns n' Roses ones. I'm generally a purist, but I'm not crazy about this. Aside from being used to the other names now, these names are just badass. Izzy Glow, Duff McWhalen, The Skiver. Frickin' Mattrex is a one-word name; that's awesome.

Just read about the Maverick names in X5 being restored to their original names instead of the Guns n' Roses ones. I'm generally a purist, but I'm not crazy about this. Aside from being used to the other names now, these names are just badass. Izzy Glow, Duff McWhalen, The Skiver. Frickin' Mattrex is a one-word name; that's awesome.
His name was Duff McWhalen. Duff McGodDamnWhalen. They are messing not only with my childhood, but the natural order of awesome by reverting them to generic robot master names.

Absolutely beautiful... I love those characters. They are very near and dear to my heart... I'm getting this for all systems when it comes out just to support those devs!
Another reason to preorder multiple systems would be the different bonuses for PS4 and Switch.

Not really much this week. An updated version of Touhou Genso Wanderer and a physical edition of Sonic Mania. I'm somewhat curious how Touhou Genso Wanderer stacks up to other Japanese roguelikes.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai (PS4 | Fighting)
- Dead or School (Early Access | RPG? No idea)

Weekly Releases (July 15th - July 21st)

Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Sonic Mania Plus
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1
- Genre: Action Platformer / Gotta go fast
- Comments: Physical edition of the previously released Sonic Mania. The Plus content is free for owners of Sonic Mania.

Super Dungeon Tactics
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch
- Genre: Roguelike
- Comments: Enhanced version of Touhou Genso Wanderer with more content.

Hand of Fate 2
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Card Game / Action RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

ACA NeoGeo: League Bowling
- Genre: Sports / Bowling
- Comments: Digital only.

Arcade Archives: City Connection
- Genre: Action / Platformer
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Digital only.

Starship Avenger Operation: Take Back Earth
- Genre: SHMUP / Defense Shooter
- Comments: Coming out on PC at a later date.

Tanzia
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Currently in early access on PC.

Heroki
- Genre: Action Platformer

Thumper
- Genre: Rhythm / Action

The cursed love
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Because We're Here ~Mohnblume und Blauerose~ Act I
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome

Muse Dash
- Genre: Rhythm / Music

King of Phoenix
- Genre: Dating Sim

Past Releases
July 8th - July 14th
July 1st - July 7th
June 24th - June 30th
June 17th - June 23rd
June 10th - June 16th

Isn't it only psn credit though? That's not exactly monetary value.

Well, if you wanna get really technical, I guess you can't sell the PSN credit you earn, so it doesn't absolutely have monetary value. But PSN credit CAN have monetary value if it's on a card or whatnot. And you use the PSN credit to purchase things with monetary value... semantics aside, the point still remains. The trophies now have value beyond that of just personal gratification. Giving credit for trophies is costing Sony money, and since you earn more credit for higher tier trophies, I'd have to imagine that they will be more strict on how developers use them.

Through Sony Rewards? Or did I miss something else as well
Sony announced they will be rewarding players with PSN credit for their trophies. I think for 10 plats you get $10 credit. Not sure if it's for PSN plus users only. Also, since I know you're wondering - no, it's not retroactive.

Sony announced they will be rewarding players with PSN credit for their trophies. I think for 10 plats you get $10 credit. Not sure if it's for PSN plus users only. Also, since I know you're wondering - no, it's not retroactive.
Yep, $10 for 10 plats, $2.50 for 25 golds, $1 for 100 silvers. There's a yearly cap of 12 passes for the rewards (not sure if that's each or total for the 3 types), but you just go to your account, sign, then at the top right it says "Track your pass activity" with a See my passes link underneath. If you haven't already activated the passes you'll have one for platinum trophies, gold trophies, and silver trophies under the Available tab, otherwise they'll be under In Progress for your current pass or under Completed for any sets you've already finished. As you get the rewards you'll just get points added to your Sony Rewards account. So far I've gotten $34.50 worth of points from trophies, which I've turned into $30 PSN credit.

For everyone doing the Amazon Twitch free games thing from link lots of good games available right now. I was waiting for Red Strings Club and Tyranny and both are available at the moment. 

See Holo’s Fluffy Tail In 3D In Spice & Wolf VR

Season 3!!!... oh...

6UjRwDU.gif

At least we'll get a movie version too.

Also, obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo_wVKQMSBc

For everyone doing the Amazon Twitch free games thing from link lots of good games available right now. I was waiting for Red Strings Club and Tyranny and both are available at the moment.
Yeah, I didn't get around to posting this during the afternoon. Made my calendar reminder and didn't set a time, so it reminded me this morning prior to Tyranny being added. Not sure if I would've remembered to post it today.

I feel like this is fairly under-the-radar, but this is Platinum's upcoming game and Granblue is getting pretty big in Japan. I'm pretty excited for this.
How do you mean? in general or in here? Cause in here, it's really not lol. Everyone has been pretty stoked after seeing gameplay

How do you mean? in general or in here? Cause in here, it's really not lol. Everyone has been pretty stoked after seeing gameplay
Yeah I honestly have no idea what Granblue is really but I want every platinum game that wasn't made on like a $3 budget.

I can't wait to play Yakuza 3 unbutchered if it is localized (likely will be I'm guessing). I thought the Yakuza 3 story was pretty aight. I am also excited for Granblue Fantasy.

Also in other news I finished Hapymaher and will have a write up some time this weekend on my thoughts. I liked it enough, though it was missing something as well.

Working on Evenicle now. Pretty fun game though battles are a tinge repetitive. That's pretty much any RPG though hah.

My big thing is they really need to keep publishing Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 physically.  I'm worried that physical collectors might miss one or two PS4 entries if they stop selling well-enough.  That would be a damn shame. 

I could see that. I'm slowly transitioning to the being OK with digital, but strongly prefer physical copies. I do hope it keeps selling well like Yakuza 0/6 did. We'll just wait and see.

My big thing is they really need to keep publishing Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 physically. I'm worried that physical collectors might miss one or two PS4 entries if they stop selling well-enough. That would be a damn shame.
Ya know, with our luck Yakuza 3 and 4 remasters won't do so hot and then 5 will be digital only. Again.

Yep, $10 for 10 plats, $2.50 for 25 golds, $1 for 100 silvers. There's a yearly cap of 12 passes for the rewards (not sure if that's each or total for the 3 types), but you just go to your account, sign, then at the top right it says "Track your pass activity" with a See my passes link underneath. If you haven't already activated the passes you'll have one for platinum trophies, gold trophies, and silver trophies under the Available tab, otherwise they'll be under In Progress for your current pass or under Completed for any sets you've already finished. As you get the rewards you'll just get points added to your Sony Rewards account. So far I've gotten $34.50 worth of points from trophies, which I've turned into $30 PSN credit.

Does your progress reset every year or does it stay that way until you reach the goal?

bread's done
Back