Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
After the hot mess that was DOA5's DLC, I think I'm going to skip a new DOA release for the first time in ages. Just wait and see what happens. Maybe hold off till the PS5/X23 version.
yeah, will i expect the same treatment with the also updated doa6 another round edition a couple of years later with more dlc, sadly was holding out that they would right the ship towards the end and at least release a version that included all released dlc on one disc, but dlc greed is high with them, thinking about diving into soul caliber 6 since it might be the last bit still dont know if the decide that the 30$ season passs of three characters and a couple of items is worth it for what the game is

Good God that Judge Eyes trailer. I want it so bad. It looks incredible. Def a day 1 pick up for me. I don't know how RGG studios is able to crank out so many incredible looking games so quickly but God damn do I want all of that

https://youtu.be/hhSFYt1fvmI

https://youtu.be/tXzfOe6MRMU

yeah, will i expect the same treatment with the also updated doa6 another round edition a couple of years later with more dlc, sadly was holding out that they would right the ship towards the end and at least release a version that included all released dlc on one disc, but dlc greed is high with them, thinking about diving into soul caliber 6 since it might be the last bit still dont know if the decide that the 30$ season passs of three characters and a couple of items is worth it for what the game is
I feel 30 is way too much for the SC6 season pass, the only real question for me is if I get it at release or wait a year for the “complete” version they’ll release. If I was going to play online, I’d have to buy when it’s new, but for story mode primarily, I can get it whenever.

There's also pre-order bonuses announced, with a digital deluxe edition including 25 extra costumes.

PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Bonuses

PlayStation 4 owners who take advantage of pre-order sales will score a unique Dead or Alive 6 theme, as well as obtaining “The Female Tengu” Nyotengu as a playable character.

Xbox One Pre-Order Bonuses

Xbox One gamers who pre-order the title will also be able to download Nyotengu to their roster on top of receiving a pre-order bonus costume for the legendary Ryu Hayabusa.

Early Purchase Bonuses

A special Early Purchase Bonus program for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One owners was also announced, as gamers who digitally purchase Dead or Alive 6 by March 14, 2019, will receive a bonus costume for one of the game’s most popular characters, Kasumi. Gamers who enter the Early Purchase Bonus program on Steam will collect the Kasumi costume as well as Nyotengu as a downloadable character.

Digital Deluxe Edition

In addition, Team Ninja unveiled a Digital Deluxe edition of the game for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam that will include a set of 25 extra costumes, three bonus musical tracks, a DDX exclusive Kasumi costume, and an exceptional character added to the lineup, the formidable Kasumi clone, Phase 4.

I don't know how RGG studios is able to crank out so many incredible looking games so quickly
It's pretty easy when you can just reuse the same engine and just insert some slightly altered character models. They've pretty much just taken Yakuza and turned it into a modern day Shenmue. Looks interesting, but I've never been a fan of the Yakuza games. This looks a lot different, but the animations and fighting still look as janky as before. I'll reserve judgement until I've played it myself.

It's pretty easy when you can just reuse the same engine and just insert some slightly altered character models. They've pretty much just taken Yakuza and turned it into a modern day Shenmue. Looks interesting, but I've never been a fan of the Yakuza games. This looks a lot different, but the animations and fighting still look as janky as before. I'll reserve judgement until I've played it myself.
That's a lot of words for I don't like good games. /s

Jokes aside, it definitely looks like the Yakuza games but with more aerial moves.

Yeah, I'm not touching SC6 with a ten foot pole till there's a DLC-included version for sub-$20. There hasn't been a decent SC since the sixth console generation, and my main is DLC.

Hmm...so that answers why they took the pc version down. Rubs me the wrong way.
I don't understand why they thought they needed to take down the Steam version. Japanese people almost never buy PC games, and literally the only people they're going to sell this remaster to are Japanese people who missed the game ten years ago because it was on Xbox. And a few fans, but there aren't enough of them to warrant the remaster. Everyone else who's been even mildly curious about it has had ample opportunity to get it cheap on PC.

So basically I don't see the conflict of interests in just leaving the Steam version where it was, unless maybe its consistently cheap price would lower the perceived value of the remaster.

I don't understand why they thought they needed to take down the Steam version. Japanese people almost never buy PC games, and literally the only people they're going to sell this remaster to are Japanese people who missed the game ten years ago because it was on Xbox. And a few fans, but there aren't enough of them to warrant the remaster. Everyone else who's been even mildly curious about it has had ample opportunity to get it cheap on PC.

So basically I don't see the conflict of interests in just leaving the Steam version where it was, unless maybe its consistently cheap price would lower the perceived value of the remaster.
Maybe they are doing so to prevent more people from getting it free if they upgrade the PC version ala Bioshock.

Look forward to the remastered version hitting Steam someday

Look forward to the remastered version hitting Steam someday
Obviously, but again, there's not really going to be much of an audience for it. The game didn't exactly make waves, and it's been so cheap on PC for so long, not to mention featuring in Humble Bundle and Squenix's own mystery bundles, that nearly anybody remotely curious about the game already owns it, and most people who own it probably aren't going to care enough to buy it again. There just isn't enough of a fanbase for this to do well trying to resell itself, so the remaster is really only going to sell to people who don't already own it; which is to say Japanese people, since Xbox and PC aren't great platforms for reaching most of your potential audience in Japan.

There's not even a need for The Last Remnant to be remastered on PC. I mean the original port wasn't bad. It's surprising that it wasn't a lazy port, since other more popular SE JRPGs did get mediocre to awful ports (FF13, Chrono Trigger, Nier Automata to name a few).

The game has been out for over 9 years including part of a humble bundle. Not sure why it matters.
It matters that a digital only title was taken out of circulation. I have the game already, and I have an extra key to boot. But someone that discovers the game after it's too late would be out of luck. Now we discover this was only done so square can sell a "remaster" of the game for more money.

We live in a world where Sony bans anime games and Nintendo embraces it.

Yeah, I know it's east vs west.

Can we go back to the thread on Resetera where everyone gets offended that Vincent becomes terrified when the new alleged ladyboy raises her skirt?

Can we go back to the thread on Resetera where everyone gets offended that Vincent becomes terrified when the new alleged ladyboy raises her skirt?
Day 1 purchase

The Last Remnant is a remaster. Everything has been ported to Unreal Engine 4

+1 for shocked that Xbone got Rumble Roses XX. I've held onto my copy all these years waiting for them to acknowledge it. 

This is a game changer. We can expect the likes of JAST and Mangagamer to release fully uncensored VN directly onto steam for greater visibilty now.

Meltys Quest, an HRPG has already taken advantage of it and has updated their steam copy to include the uncensor patch which previously required a separate download.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/723090/announcements/detail/3101180944950283097

Their store page has also gone all out and lists a bunch of content that can be found in the game.

JKQIhf1.jpg

This is a game changer. We can expect the likes of JAST and Mangagamer to release fully uncensored VN directly onto steam for greater visibilty now.

Meltys Quest, an HRPG has already taken advantage of it and has updated their steam copy to include the uncensor patch which previously required a separate download.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/723090/announcements/detail/3101180944950283097

Their store page has also gone all out and lists a bunch of content that can be found in the game.
That description tho lol

Someone mentioned that Blade Strangers PS4 sold out quickly at Best Buy, which led to me refreshing a couple times a day. Payoff: it's back in stock.

:ps4: Blade Strangers Launch Edition - $39.99

(Never went OOS on Switch, as far as I can tell.)
The Switch version came out a week before the PS4 version and actually went OOS for a couple days right after release (my in-store pick up order was even canceled by BB). It did come back into stock eventually by the Friday after release though (and the store I preordered it at even got copies in the following week).

Catherine Full Body details:

-new arrange mode adds new gimmicks
-overall stage numbers are twice the original
-over 20 new animation scenes added
-you can change C/Katherine's voice via DLC. Overall 11 different VAs.
-Special edition has 4 CD OST, artbook and DLC pack

Is the Nintendo Switch region locked? I was thinking about buying the new special edition Pikachu Switch and some Japanese games (like Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae) to play in the States

Is the Nintendo Switch region locked? I was thinking about buying the new special edition Pikachu Switch and some Japanese games (like Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae) to play in the States
It's 100% region free, as is the DLC & Patches I believe, unlike the Vita that's region free, but DLC & online passes are region locked. I don't know if any of that may change with online now being charged for soon, but we'll know more tomorrow after the direct.

It's 100% region free, as is the DLC & Patches I believe, unlike the Vita that's region free, but DLC & online passes are region locked. I don't know if any of that may change with online now being charged for soon, but we'll know more tomorrow after the direct.
Wait... So dlc is region free on switch? So you can buy usa dlc for a hong kong region game and it would work?

Wait... So dlc is region free on switch? So you can buy usa dlc for a hong kong region game and it would work?
If the TitleID is the same across regions then yes, it would work. Otherwise, no.

-

Catherine: Full Body Japanese box art

Catherine-_Full-_Body_2018_09-12-18_001.jpg

bread's done
Back