Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
would be nice to have a console maker that doesn't care about AO content. Someone new needs to enter the market
It's not even rated Adults Only, there's a reason why we have an ESRB. It's like removing shit from an R rated movie because it's not appropriate, then what the fuck is the rating for? Let the consumer decide what's appropriate for them then they will either purchase or not purchase it.

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1051195585133391872

Considering a lot of these Japanese games are on PlayStation it's probably a good idea to do this.

Not really much in the way of new titles this week. Also LRG has listed this weeks other releases as "Two PS4 Titles (One BIGGEST PS4 Project Ever)" and "One Vita Title". So I'm not listing them, but they may be thread related. So just a friendly heads up.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Seven days with the Ghost (Visual Novel / Smut)
- Evenicle (Visual Novel / Smut)

Weekly Releases (October 14th - October 20th)

Fast Striker
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Vertical SHMUP
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only. Cross-Buy.

Warriors Orochi 4
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Musou / Action

Dark Souls Trilogy
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action RPG / Difficulty
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Includes all DLC. Not sure if 1 & 2 include online.

Resonance of Fate 4K/HD Edtion
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Digital only.

SoulCalibur VI
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.

Mages of Mystralia (LRG Physical)
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Physical Limited Run Games pre-order.

Owlboy Limited Edition (Physical Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: I guess the delays on this are over?

Exorder
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: SRPG

Valkyria Chronicles
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Digital only.

Black Bird
- Genre: Horizontal SHMUP

Momonga Pinball Adventures
- Genre: Arcade / Pinball

WILL: A Wonderful World
- Genre: Visual Novel / Puzzle
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Dark Souls Remastered
- Genre: Action RPG / Difficulty
- Online: Maybe?

Pizza Titan Ultra
- Genre: Action / Arcade
- Comments: The future of Chuck E. Cheese.

Don't Forget Our Esports Dream
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Simulation / Visual Novel

Her她
- Genre: Simulation / Visual Novel
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Journey Through Memories
- Genre: Adventure / Speech Recognition

Cateau
- Genre: Visual Novel

Cross Love - Episode 1
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yaoi

Sakura Day 2 Mahjong
- Genre: Mahjong Solitaire

A Winter's Daydream
- Genre: Visual Novel / GILF

Past Releases
October 7th - October 13th
September 30th - October 6th
September 23rd - September 29th
September 16th - September 22nd
September 9th - September 15th

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1051195585133391872

Considering a lot of these Japanese games are on PlayStation it's probably a good idea to do this.
There seems to be a quick work-around if you for some reason don't change your settings. Multiple people reporting that you just need to download the PS Messaging App elsewhere, delete the message there, and your ps4 will be fine. Changing your settings is the easiest/safest way obviously though. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

I don't think the Senran Kagura situation is about Sony trying to win over more sales for the game. Intimacy mode looks like you're molesting the characters. Sony is probably afraid about having to answer questions about them housing games with child molestation. Any defenses fans might have for Intimacy mode I can't imagine Sony being willing to also make. Intimacy mode is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. I can understand Sony wanting to avoid that road.

Intimacy mode may not look much different than previous iterations, but over the past year there's been a greater understanding that sexual harassment and sexual assault is, you know, bad. Sony and others aren't going to operate with the same blinders anymore.

I'm a fan of Senran Kagura, and since I first saw Intimacy mode I thought it was creepy. The girls shriek and cover up when you touch them. The kiss at the end doesn't make it any better. The idea that if you ignore her protests she'll eventually give in makes it more disturbing.

I guess we're in the era of jack thompson, and other moral panics with witch hunts and people moral grandstanding while clutching their pearls.

"Oh no! what about the fake girls made of code in a video game! Surely this has real life consequences! Just like how all those times video games were proven to directly correlate with real world violence!"

That's sarcasm btw. Why should any console maker be responsible for what games get put on the system? Why would they be guilty for what some one else did; implying of course this is anything to be guilty about. We need to stop allowing these keyboard warriors to effect our games lest we always have our games censored. same goes for the limp wristed corporate types that probably don't even play the games. If people don't like the content just don't buy it. I can see no logical argument for censorship.

All the more reason to learn japanese

Time to add the Senran Kagura games to the banned for discussion list and ban all members who are against altering them like the other major forums?

Why should any console maker be responsible for what games get put on the system?
Look, I'm as anti-content-removal as anyone, but if you can't see a reason for console makers to police what they allow on their platform, you're too far gone already. Console companies have public images that are in large part based on the games available for their systems. If public opinion starts to consider a console synonymous with a specific kind of content, that plays a serious role on who buys that console.

The PS2 was a JRPG console, for example; the 360 was for shooters. That kind of thing.

In America, getting significantly associated with smut--and I'm not saying that's what this content is, only that it's what Sony of America is afraid of here--would be a massive financial blow for a console. That is why none of the major console makers allow AO games. And before you point to ESRB ratings, that's just one of several checks games on console end up going through; Sony has every right to be more rigorous than a third party company if they're afraid of how it will reflect on their product.

And before anybody brings up Steam again, I'd rather have a few questionable crackdowns like this regarding sexual content than deal with the total lack of oversight on Steam's store. The amount of utter crap you have to sift through on the one platform is so much higher than what you get on the other it isn't even funny. And let's not forget Steam makes similar decisions, too--Maidens of Michael is still missing from the store after that sexual content debacle from a couple months ago.

Anyway, if I were interested in this game, yeah, I'd probably be pissed about the need to remove content; but if you can't see where they're coming from, that's entirely on your own nearsightedness.

Look, I'm as anti-content-removal as anyone, but if you can't see a reason for console makers to police what they allow on their platform, you're too far gone already. Console companies have public images that are in large part based on the games available for their systems. If public opinion starts to consider a console synonymous with a specific kind of content, that plays a serious role on who buys that console.
yeah I can understand why. I understand the logic. I just don't think it should be that way. I think the argument is flawed. It's like when web domains remove websites that they don't politically align with. Who actually thinks the domain registrar is supporting the ideals? They merely provide a service. I know some people are gonna say that it's their platform and they can do what they want and yeah you're right, but that's not how things should be in my opinion. I want a console that's an open platform, personally.

The SK game is already out for Japan right? And doesn't have the content cut? Might as well go that route then.

I'm also guessing most are gonna boycott it now? I'm also one of those people who usually preorders/buys it day one, but this controversy has made me feel iffy about it. Also, I imagine the game doesn't get much sales anyway, except from the hardcore/niche crowd, so if they start losing those numbers, it'll really hurt them. Except I don't know how much of their fault it is.

The SK game is already out for Japan right? And doesn't have the content cut? Might as well go that route then.

I'm also guessing most are gonna boycott it now? I'm also one of those people who usually preorders/buys it day one, but this controversy has made me feel iffy about it. Also, I imagine the game doesn't get much sales anyway, except from the hardcore/niche crowd, so if they start losing those numbers, it'll really hurt them. Except I don't know how much of their fault it is.
I mean, I was gonna buy it on Steam anyway lol

I wasn't going to buy it regardless, SK isn't really my kind of series, but that sounds really stupid. A boycott would hurt XSeed way more than Sony, and that's even before factoring in the fact that XSeed's such a tiny company. It'd encourage them to just stop bringing Senran games over entirely, not to fight the platform holders.

I really hope people don't boycott this over something as silly as this. As I admit I love the Senran series (only game I don't have is Peach Beach Splash) as its a good hack and slash with some "bonus content" and look forward to the game itself but I will admit the intimacy mode is a bit too much for me. Not into the whole "poking and prodding" girls on my games and have to admit that I do see this as a "safer" move as this has lawsuit written all over it. But I do understand that this kind of thing has been in other SK games so why block it now.

I just hope that everyone is reasonable enough to not punish Xseed for this. Taking them completely at their word, this was not their call, and the game wasn't getting released without this change. This does open the door to a larger conversation about censorship and Sony's actions/policies, but Xseed should really be exempt from that conversation when they're not calling the shots. I bet everyone would be more pissed off if there was no localized release at all, and it appears making that choice was the lovely situation they they were put in. 

I wont go on much about this censorship (I did so already so many times with Steam and now am happy with how Steam is). I will still buy the game, even though it may just be some whatever beat em up. I may be one of the few that liked the actual beat em up side scrolling style used in the 3DS games and finds the 3D Warriors style beat em ups kind of tired and repetitive. Dislike how nuclear Sony has gone, but who knows what their higher ups are thinking. Still getting the game to support XSEED mainly.

Yeah, I don't know how to feel about the last-minute censorship of Senran Kagura. I was wondering if I should cancel my pre-order or not. I don't care what the content is, but having to remove something for a different audience does not jive with me at all. Even more so when the content cut is allowed on one platform, but not the other. (Steam vs. Sony)

I guess importing a Japanese copy is always an option, since I've imported previous entries before. (Might need to brush up on my lacking Japanese though) 

This whole situation reminds me of that interactive minigame in Fire Emblem Fates that was removed/toned down and then everyone rioted. Then Sony fanboys kept saying, "lol Nintendo censoring content, Sony would never do that". And look where we are now  :shock: . Guess we had a good run....

I don’t understand the disconnect between the ESRB and Sony. How is the ESRB able to rate SK (and OLZ) as Mature, if both are apparently non-compliant with Sony’s standards, especially considering a feature like Intimacy Mode? Why even have the ESRB if Sony pulls this crap at the 11th hour like they did with SK and OLZ.

I cancelled my SK preorder for financial reasons only as I spent too much on games lately. Damn you, Play-Asia lol.

I'm a fan of Senran Kagura, and since I first saw Intimacy mode I thought it was creepy. The girls shriek and cover up when you touch them. The kiss at the end doesn't make it any better. The idea that if you ignore her protests she'll eventually give in makes it more disturbing.
What's not sexy about Stockholm Syndrome? /s

I don’t understand the disconnect between the ESRB and Sony. How is the ESRB able to rate SK (and OLZ) as Mature, if both are apparently non-compliant with Sony’s standards, especially considering a feature like Intimacy Mode? Why even have the ESRB if Sony pulls this crap at the 11th hour like they did with SK and OLZ.

I cancelled my SK preorder for financial reasons only as I spent too much on games lately. Damn you, Play-Asia lol.
In the case of OLZ, rating board from other countries won't rate it, many media outlets began to run stories about it, Sony perceived as a negative PR, they panicked and decided to bury the game altogether. It crazy to think our ESRB more open minded than other countries rating boards.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

It seems pretty clear to me that the current focus is on games with a touching feature where you the player are directly causing distress to the character. Since it's not a major feature in Senran Kagura, the programmers probably took all of 5 minutes to dummy out the menu option and stay compliant with Sony's wishes. Omega Labyrinth had a whole check system based around the touching mechanic and couldn't remove it. The fact the characters are high school students just added to the issue.

Xseed had the best plan announcing it late on a Friday night the same day you could see all the ninja girls actually naked in an anime.

It's about damn time. It's too bad they aren't porting the 3DS version of the original Corpe Party though.. or even the PSP version. It's not worth playing the Steam version if you're new to the series, the sprites used are atrocious, and while I'm kind of interested in hearing the alternate voice acting used, that and the additional chapter aren't worth playing it over 3DS.

I'm excited to finally play Dead Patient, wasn't sure if that was ever getting localized.

It's about damn time. It's too bad they aren't porting the 3DS version of the original Corpe Party though.. or even the PSP version. It's not worth playing the Steam version if you're new to the series, the sprites used are atrocious, and while I'm kind of interested in hearing the alternate voice acting used, that and the additional chapter aren't worth playing it over 3DS.
Since the 3DS version is an enhanced version of the PSP remake of the PC version, it could potentially happen if the newer ones hitting PC sell decently well. I'm sure there will be at least some outcry for it since not everybody can stand the original updated non-RPGMaker graphics.

I think a lot of games would be improved with an Intimacy Mode.

Overwatch
Nier:Automata
I couldn't decide which punchline I liked best, so here's a handful of my favorites. Try them out and see which one you prefer.

Ms Pac Man
Battletoads
Kirby Star Allies
Tetris
Civilization

Since the 3DS version is an enhanced version of the PSP remake of the PC version, it could potentially happen if the newer ones hitting PC sell decently well. I'm sure there will be at least some outcry for it since not everybody can stand the original updated non-RPGMaker graphics.
I'm kind of doubting the newer ones will sell well since it's a niche series, but who knows. I'm surprised we're even getting them on steam since I thought the original Corpse Party would've sold like crap.

BTW, for anyone interested.. Blood Drive was poorly optimized on Vita, there were bugs and framerate issues (some stuttering and crashing). I personally never had any issues with it crashing, but it was a common problem. The PC version may end up being superior if it gets optimized and the bugs are fixed.

Overwatch
I couldn't decide which punchline I liked best, so here's a handful of my favorites. Try them out and see which one you prefer.

Ms Pac Man
Battletoads
Kirby Star Allies
Tetris
Civilization
Mortal Kombat. I've always wanted to get freaky with Mileena.

Looking pretty good.
It's says it's a Day 1 edition, so it's limited right? After the 1st batch is sold out, it'll revert back to standard copies? Or is there another standard edition, and this is the collector's edition?

Also, the wording makes it seem like the coin is inside the steelbook, which could be pretty cool.

Overwatch

Ms Pac Man
Battletoads
Kirby Star Allies
Tetris
Civilization
Here's my personal favorite: Fire Emblem.

It's says it's a Day 1 edition, so it's limited right? After the 1st batch is sold out, it'll revert back to standard copies? Or is there another standard edition, and this is the collector's edition?
Based on the current descriptions and the track record of how CSI was physically released on ps3 and vita, my assumption is that the Decisive and Relentless editions will be Day 1 / limited. Similar to how the Lionheart Edition was handled.

I went ahead and put in a preorder while I decide if I actually need one or both of these. I love the series (been hooked since the ending of TitS:FC) but they really seem like just ported versions of the enhanced CS! & II pc/steam releases, which I bought day 1 and have been enjoying. I also believe the PS4 version was originally announced as the first two games together in a collection, so maybe someone decided to split the releases and throw in collectible stuff. I do like the Decisive edition most, so maybe I'll just get that one and unload the disc.

XSEED mentioned in the comments that currently these editions are the only physical editions planned, but no telling what the future holds.

No reason to boycott XSeed and SK, just buy it on steam instead of PS4. If sales heavily favor one platform over the other, I think that would send a better message than no sales at all.

if Sony really double down on their new policy, anyone else think previous SK games like Estival Versus and Peach Beach Splash are in danger of getting pulled from PSN?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Would be awesome if XSeed offered free dlc patch that reenable the feature. I don't play that series, but censorship seems hypocritical considering the other content is allowed.

Too bad the niche community can't put the same pressure the Fortnite group can. Remember when Sony thought isolating their players was a good idea?

bread's done
Back