Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside of the different game engine, VIIR (the remake currently being sold at full price) forces a true ending, removes the DLC characters, and has some VR compatible segments set after the main game's story. If you don't have VR it sets the view at a single point with a camera control.

I bought VIIR thinking it was akin to a complete collection. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you basically saying that VIIR is missing a lot of the base version's content? If this is the case, is this content worth getting the original version plus DLC and playing that instead?

Outside of the different game engine, VIIR (the remake currently being sold at full price) forces a true ending, removes the DLC characters, and has some VR compatible segments set after the main game's story. If you don't have VR it sets the view at a single point with a camera control.

I bought VIIR thinking it was akin to a complete collection. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you basically saying that VIIR is missing a lot of the base version's content? If this is the case, is this content worth getting the original version plus DLC and playing that instead?
Short answer, no, it's not worth getting the original if you already got VIIR. Sure, you can get some non-canon dlc fluff and a few bad endings... but it's still basically the same main game. VIIR has a lot of bug fixes and quality of life improvements. I'm sure any future game, when referencing the events, will reference VIIR and pretend VII never happened.

There are 3 DLC characters that are integrated into the story(God Eater, Millionarthur, Nitro Plus) and an additional two joke characters (Nepguya and Umio). There's also a guy who has Neptune do some missions, and the aforementioned bad endings are done by not finishing a side event late game, or not doing a mission and seeing an event across each character's story arc in the middle section of the game. The true ending will be what is referenced and I doubt the real named DLC characters will ever come back so it's not a total loss. VIIR is pretty clear from the start that you're playing the game again in the opening cutscene.

I think this video sums it up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtAI7f3kJsg

Yeah I remember thinking a month ago to myself that they'd do a Majora's Mask type thing. Next game will probably be extremely similar to BoTW but with more content. I think they said they still wanted to continue with the botw route. I know the article speculates a multiplayer handheld game - but i think this:

I think it will be a game where both Link and Zelda are playable. Either you switch between them on the fly or they have segmented gameplay sections. This is just my theory but I think for the first time ever in canon Zelda will be playable. I must say though I will be disappointed if it's just another bad triforce heroes game.

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

:cry:

I would buy Skyward Sword on Switch with no motion controls. That game cemented for hate for motion control in anything but Wii Sports.
Yeah, I despise motion controls in everything, including Wii Sports. LOL But since that game was so basic, it made for an OK experience, as the controls never got better/worse than the games themselves, so it made for an enjoyable ride(free was also a bonus).

SS would have been 10x better without them for sure, but for me, I never had the issues so many others did, which is rare, as I have issues with motion controls 9/10, and twice on Sundays. LOL

Yeah, I despise motion controls in everything, including Wii Sports. LOL But since that game was so basic, it made for an OK experience, as the controls never got better/worse than the games themselves, so it made for an enjoyable ride(free was also a bonus).

SS would have been 10x better without them for sure, but for me, I never had the issues so many others did, which is rare, as I have issues with motion controls 9/10, and twice on Sundays. LOL
I'd say SS could be at least 50x better if they remove/limit motion controls and one other thing...

924682_0.jpg

I never got far enough in SS to form a judgment on the controls, but I will say TP's motion controls made that game significantly better, and I feel sorry for anyone who played without them.

The motion controls did not prevent me from enjoying Skyward Sword.

The game's structure, constant hand-holding and Fi is what prevented me from enjoying Skyward Sword. 

The only time I had issues with the motion controls is when I wanted to be a lazy  fuck and play while laying down. That doesn't go so well with motion controls haha

Also, for some reason I always had a difficult time controlling the bird. Apparently that was just me though, since some people I know had no issues with that.

Quick question. I revived xenoblade chronicles 2, but box was damaged.

Packaging was cheap bubble mailer(was ripped) and artwork is slightly ripped and outer plastic is ripped.

Don't want return, but the box is damaged.

Quick question. I revived xenoblade chronicles 2, but box was damaged.

Packaging was cheap bubble mailer(was ripped) and artwork is slightly ripped and outer plastic is ripped.

Don't want return, but the box is damaged.
ok, wrong thread maybe? The response you'll get here is: doesn't matter, treasure your new 2-waifu's-at-once sim.

This brings up a question I always thought about whenever one of these games gets announced for Steam: Should Sony even bother putting the "Exclusive" message on the top right of the box? (At least when it comes to future entries, since this seems to be a trend for the series)

629245_front.jpg

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. I guess the time when the game is released is final factor in determining the "Exclusive" status. Whatever happens later on is out of their hands, I suppose.

This brings up a question I always thought about whenever one of these games gets announced for Steam: Should Sony even bother putting the "Exclusive" message on the top right of the box? (At least when it comes to future entries, since this seems to be a trend for the series)

629245_front.jpg

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. I guess the time when the game is released is final factor in determining the "Exclusive" status. Whatever happens later on is out of their hands, I suppose.
I think that companies are very intentionally putting 'console' exclusive in these situations. I seem to remember seeing that with several other titles in the past--surely including a lot of Microsoft stuff.

Oh no....

The good thing is that a movie would fit really well with the type of atmosphere and characters that Resident Evil 7 has.

The bad thing is I feel like Resident Evil 7 was not a Resident Evil game at all, something completely different and removed from previous entries. So a movie based on this, which is likely to heavily modify the source content, would probably bear no resemblance to Resident Evil at all.

Then again, expecting a good Resident Evil movie in the first place is likely my problem lol

The

Has anyone had their orders shipped? Apparently mine has gone to Awaiting Payment and I was not charged... I have no way to resend payment or update the payment option....
They take a while. Last year my stuff didn't ship out for over a week after BF / Cyber Monday.

Well played Idea factory International. Lead the way for others to dodge sony's censorship by putting it on other platforms.
Good for Idea Factory International. I was really surprised Moero Chronicle received a PC port not that long ago. It did get a release on Vita in the Asian region with decent English subs, but figured it would be the last we saw of it after plans for the follow-up, Moero Crystal was canned for release w/ English subs.

I would love to see more of their stuff ported to PC.

bread's done
Back