Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
sony portable trademark link doesn't work.  Will certainly be a surprise if anything actually comes of it.  Its too bad sony doesn't know how to support them as I love their handhelds minus the stupid memory card prices of the vita along with tying saves to installs.  I also wish they had a lid to protect them like ds line does.

sony portable trademark link doesn't work. Will certainly be a surprise if anything actually comes of it. Its too bad sony doesn't know how to support them as I love their handhelds minus the stupid memory card prices of the vita along with tying saves to installs. I also wish they had a lid to protect them like ds line does.
I loved the Vita, but yeah, Sony are inept at handling that market. If anything comes from this it'll just be some sort of Switch knockoff that works with the PS4 which they'll support for a couple of months before abandoning it to jump on the next copycat hype machine.

It's telling that they're passing on this year's E3. Them censoring every anime tiddy that even looks at their hardware is not a good look. I guess their shitty movie non-games aren't coming along as far as they thought.

PS4 had a good run so far. However, if Sony doesn't address the censorship issue and doesn't actively support the PS4 anymore, I might think twice about the PS5 personally (I've resisted PC master race, but it might be time...).

Arc of Alchemist Gets New Trailer Showing Charming Opening Cutscene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lURLlo3aTM

New Resident Evil 2 Mini-Trailers Show Claire, Lickers, Herbs, Samurai Edge, and More

Conception Plus for PS4 Gets New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5A8lmmv1js

Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta seemingly confirmed for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Romancing SaGa Re; Universe Gets A New Trailer And December 6 Japanese Launch Date

Here’s A Closer Look At The Limited Edition Kingdom Hearts III PS4 Model And Exclusive Theme

Dt-N3-Xlc-U8-AI7c-g.jpg

Fire Emblem Expo Event Announced: More Details Coming in December

Dragon Quest Builders 2 introduces automatic construction, latest weapons

Asia PlayStation Plus December Free Games Lineup Revealed, Includes Free Dynamic Themes

PS4
  • God Eater 2: Rage Burst
  • Gravity Rush 2

PS Vita
  • Katamari Damashii No Vita

Total War: Three Kingdoms Finally Lets Us Trade Regions Once Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_Xy960Lqo

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - Anniversary Bundle

924bf37c4298c634b65ece01c708c344-1920-KR.jpg

PS4 had a good run so far. However, if Sony doesn't address the censorship issue and doesn't actively support the PS4 anymore, I might think twice about the PS5 personally (I've resisted PC master race, but it might be time...).
well even though i waited and got a pro, i hardly use it and even the vr hasnt been that good to justify buying vr, skipping ps5 because of select censorship from sony, personally sticking with the others but agree with not a pc guy but may switch over instead of a new console since they eventually come to pc anyway and less censorship

PPhOFlYm.jpg

Arland DX is 89.99 Euro in the German eShop

39.99 individual

Direct Euro to USD is $101 which will either be rounded down to $99.99 or $89.99 in a 1 Euro = $1 plan.

Amazon has Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ Limited Edition on PS4 $60. I'd say for the statue and the game alone, it is worth the price. I am over half way through the game and it is fairly fun but can be a drag sometimes. Statue seems to be good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Xanadu-eX-Limited-PlayStation-4/dp/B01NASW99J/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543688582&sr=8-2&keywords=tokyo+xanadu+ex%2B
Thanks, a number of 3rd party sellers also have theirs at $59. I'm a big fan of the Trails series and found xanadu to be a familiar but not-quite-as-good experience. Worth playing though.

I kinda want the art book and blade deck, but don't need / want the rest, so will probably pass. If that statue was sora/asuka/rion i'm sold.

That Disgaea theme might actually get me to replace my 20th Anniversary one. I'm just not sure I can go back to not having the old startup noise.

Can anyone recommend for or against SG/ZH? I found Onechanbara mildly entertaining, so for $12, I'm considering it.
at that price yes, has some flaws but u will get ur moneys worth especially with sonys new situational banning/censoring policy, few ecchis games around anyway, only problem i had with that one was sometimes camera angles but wasnt worth full price but at that price worth it for some entertaining hack and slash

onechanbara is the better game but as as tongue in cheek budget title ZSGH is a fun run n gun game at that price.

I highly suggest you modify the button layout and sensativety before playing.

Amazon has Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ Limited Edition on PS4 $60. I'd say for the statue and the game alone, it is worth the price. I am over half way through the game and it is fairly fun but can be a drag sometimes. Statue seems to be good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Xanadu-eX-Limited-PlayStation-4/dp/B01NASW99J/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543688582&sr=8-2&keywords=tokyo+xanadu+ex%2B
Well, Aksys' own store has it for $50. Be aware that the threshold for F/S is for orders $75 and up. As mentioned here, yeah, the standard edition is sold out on their store.

Still it's kind of bitter sweet. Yay that horrible company is going down in flames, but I also know what it means for the physical market when they do.
Yeah I don’t understand why people want this company to go under. Yes they aren’t the greatest company with major flaws but they are pretty much a big reason why physical games are still wide spread. They also help from “scalpers” being the only place to buy preowned games from.

Yeah I don’t understand why people want this company to go under. Yes they aren’t the greatest company with major flaws but they are pretty much a big reason why physical games are still wide spread. They also help from “scalpers” being the only place to buy preowned games from.
You say this like the company itself isn't just a huge scalper...

Once again I never said they were perfect. GameStop has some shitty tactics yes but what I’m trying to say is you can’t tell me gaming would be better without them.
I'm only pointing out the scalping part.

Though the reason I dislike them most is gutting my pre-ordered limited edition. It's the only reason my Ar Tonelico isn't sealed.

Still it's kind of bitter sweet. Yay that horrible company is going down in flames, but I also know what it means for the physical market when they do.
I'm of the mindset you reap what you sow, and now we see the fruits of those actions. I do agree the only reason physical is still here is because of their influence, but that doesn't make the crooked road right. I guess we all have more than enough GS stories, and many of us have worked there as well. So some will see this as bad, good & ugly, it all comes down to personal perspective.

While they may have helped games on one hand, they have also stood to help tear it down on the other. If any business is a good one, and they provide good service, it will do well, period. The questionable practices GS have used over the years I personally find disgusting, and I haven't shopped there much because of it.

But no matter what, this is a creation of their own making, as they should have changed with the times ages ago, and they didn't, so why should I care now? It's all good if others find them a necessary evil, as they are for many, but I gave them up ages ago, and haven't missed a step since I did.

Gamestop can be a horrible place, especially with how they treat their employees.  But I don't want one less place to go buy games.  The sections at big box stores are really limited to begin with, especially with niche games or older titles.  It is great not worrying about missing out on a title and waiting for a sale because I know at least I can grab it from GS if it seems to be becoming hard to find (often before GS even realizes and jacks up the price).   I regularly find great deals there - especially stacking promos, elite and CAG16- cheaper than anywhere else.  Plus, I can't hate the only store in my area that still has a cute little vita section.

Gamestop can be a horrible place, especially with how they treat their employees. But I don't want one less place to go buy games. The sections at big box stores are really limited to begin with, especially with niche games or older titles. It is great not worrying about missing out on a title and waiting for a sale because I know at least I can grab it from GS if it seems to be becoming hard to find (often before GS even realizes and jacks up the price). I regularly find great deals there - especially stacking promos, elite and CAG16- cheaper than anywhere else. Plus, I can't hate the only store in my area that still has a cute little vita section.
Sadly, my local store put all their Vita games in a drawer some place, so once I stopped being able to search on the shelf, I stopped shopping there. There's more than enough space for the Think-Geek junk, but not for games I might want to buy, so that tells me they no longer wanted that business. So I just took my business to Ebay for my used purchases instead.

Regardless if you care about Gamestop, the big thing, in my opinion, that most have to realize is competition is healthy.  With less competitors, you're not going to get good prices and much sales.  We are all on CAG because we want discounts.  Who else waits for Amazon to pricematch Gamestop's sale prices (which they have done many times) and just bought it at Amazon instead?  I know I have.  If there are no competitors, do you think Amazon would ever have sales?  How many of us have price matched other stores?  Who is to say Target and Best Buy stop carrying games now?  So even if you don't ever buy from GS and they are dead to you, the fact they exist allows us to be able to purchase some games cheaper elsewhere.

Yea, no one should really be happy about GameStop struggling. If you don't like the store, don't shop there. I've barely used them in the past year. Still, I don't want them to go under. They represent a significant stake in physical media, including publishing some games on their own.

Their corporate and policies can be pretty scummy, but they are the #1 game retailer, and I'd be a bit concerned of what the effect would be on the industry.

bread's done
Back