Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
On dumb question. What order should the Persona games be played?
Story wise you are fine to start wherever, as they're almost completely stand alone. That said, the original release order will result in you enjoying each release more. The mechanics, presentation, localization, Persona fusion, etc all get bumped up and advance with each release. While it is entirely possible to play 5 first and then go back to 3, you'll find the transition a bit difficult, and you'd enjoy both titles more if you'd just played them in order.

For 3, I really recommend Persona 3 FES. This can be played on PS3 via PS2 Classics, if I'm not mistaken. Don't play the vanilla game. P3P for the PSP updates some of the mechanics, but it leaves out cutscenes and world map traversal. It's better to try P3P after you've beaten Persona 3 FES--or if you want more of a unique experience on a later playthrough.

For Persona 4, you need to play Persona 4 Golden on Vita, as it is the definitive version.

And then 5 only has the one version for now.

You'll notice that I skipped the first 3 games (P1 and both P2s). Those have not aged the same, are rather different in a lot of ways, and are way more hardcore. Watch several reviews for those to decide if they're your cup of tea. Persona 3 FES and beyond, on the other hand, should really be any JRPG fan's cup of tea, so no danger there.

The games take place chronologically by numerical order, but have virtually zero connection to one another. The main thing to keep in mind is that Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is a direct sequel to Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and the Persona 4 Arena games are related to both Persona 3 and Persona 4, and take place after both. The rhythm games and Persona Q are both sufficiently non-canon or unimportant to canon that it doesn't really matter when you play them, though you'll probably get the most enjoyment from them playing after the games they're based on, since they're primarily fanservice. They may also have spoilers.

Not a dumb question at all. I would recommend playing them 3 -> 4 -> 5 for a newcomer to the series. But you can jump in anywhere you'd like and it's not a problem. Just that there are interface, graphical and quality of life improvements as the series goes on so it's hard to go backwards.

I picked up the Capcom Belt-Action Collection from Amazon.jp to get the physical cart and so far it looks fantastic. I'm always impressed with Final Fight. I've only had a bit of time to spend playing but it seems like a fantastic collection. Would have been nice to get a US cart release, but the JP version has English menus (I'm guessing it's not different from the digital version), so it seems like it would only be a different case.

I picked up the Capcom Belt-Action Collection from Amazon.jp to get the physical cart and so far it looks fantastic. I'm always impressed with Final Fight. I've only had a bit of time to spend playing but it seems like a fantastic collection. Would have been nice to get a US cart release, but the JP version has English menus (I'm guessing it's not different from the digital version), so it seems like it would only be a different case.
So 100% English? As in it detects your system language and uses that all the way?

So there are a number of P3/5D dlc items on the psn store that are for people who own the game.  If the disc version is installed is that enough for the store to let you "buy" these free items?  Thanks

Story wise you are fine to start wherever, as they're almost completely stand alone. That said, the original release order will result in you enjoying each release more. The mechanics, presentation, localization, Persona fusion, etc all get bumped up and advance with each release. While it is entirely possible to play 5 first and then go back to 3, you'll find the transition a bit difficult, and you'd enjoy both titles more if you'd just played them in order.

For 3, I really recommend Persona 3 FES. This can be played on PS3 via PS2 Classics, if I'm not mistaken. Don't play the vanilla game. P3P for the PSP updates some of the mechanics, but it leaves out cutscenes and world map traversal. It's better to try P3P after you've beaten Persona 3 FES--or if you want more of a unique experience on a later playthrough.

For Persona 4, you need to play Persona 4 Golden on Vita, as it is the definitive version.

And then 5 only has the one version for now.

You'll notice that I skipped the first 3 games (P1 and both P2s). Those have not aged the same, are rather different in a lot of ways, and are way more hardcore. Watch several reviews for those to decide if they're your cup of tea. Persona 3 FES and beyond, on the other hand, should really be any JRPG fan's cup of tea, so no danger there.
Just an FYI, there's currently two versions of P5 (maybe a 3rd one is coming based on the Joker Smash DLC). It was originally a PS3 game and is available for PS3 in the states. The PS4 version is technically a remaster (1080p, solid 30fps, improved shadows, faster load times).

I would skip the first two Persona games too, they barely resemble the modern day games.

So there are a number of P3/5D dlc items on the psn store that are for people who own the game. If the disc version is installed is that enough for the store to let you "buy" these free items? Thanks
You can buy anything in the store through the webstore so you can have it tied to your account. When you get on your PS4 try and install it and see if it works.

Yeah, unlike say Steam, you can "buy" free (or paid) DLC items without ever owning the base game. I've done this where the DLC was cheap, but the base game high and then waited for a sale on the base game (disc or digital). Heck, I've claime fee DLC for games I'm not sure I'll ever buy/play, but just in case....

If you skip both Persona 2 games you're skipping out on some excellent story and characters. Very mature story telling there. If you want more of the modern games I do recommend starting with 3. You will really appreciate the evolution of the series from 4 to 5. I played the original, but the best version is likely the PSP one because of the player control. FES is good if you don't mind not being to control your party. Don't sleep on both Persona 2 though. They are a bit more grindy and such, but there is some gold there. Just don't expect the school social sim stuff.

I

Isn't the new 3ds Persona Q game a crossover between 3-5? Not that surprising I just hope they come to other platforms
I would say that there was a total of zero people who predicted Joker to the a playable character in Smash. So yeah...definitely a bit surprising, to say the least.

You can buy anything in the store through the webstore so you can have it tied to your account. When you get on your PS4 try and install it and see if it works.
In general yes, but for these particular items they show up as unavailable because the game is not owned. I'm just wondering if that means digital only or if the disc works too.

Edit: I just realized the dlc I was asking about is P4D only, which is digital only on PS4 as is included in the endless night collection I ordered. So now that makes sense.

If you skip both Persona 2 games you're skipping out on some excellent story and characters. Very mature story telling there. If you want more of the modern games I do recommend starting with 3. You will really appreciate the evolution of the series from 4 to 5. I played the original, but the best version is likely the PSP one because of the player control. FES is good if you don't mind not being to control your party. Don't sleep on both Persona 2 though. They are a bit more grindy and such, but there is some gold there. Just don't expect the school social sim stuff.
Eh, the AI is perfectly serviceable in FES, just put everyone on “knockdown.” As long as you focus on knockdowns, even on the higher difficulties, fights are so easy that unless you’re fighting significantly beyond your level, you should be finishing most fights before the main character’s first turn is over anyway.

Also, it’s interesting to note that Persona 3’s release date is actually just barely closer to the original Persona’s than it is to Persona 5’s. I mean, stylistically and in terms of gameplay P3 is much closer to P5, but in terms of timing it makes classifying modern vs “classic” Personas a bit awkward.

This is the most wrong anyone has been about Persona, and I once heard someone say Futaba is best girl.

Project Judge is now just called Judgement - has full English dub but will also include both languages sub and dub and comes out in Summer 2019. Pretty fucking stoked. New trailer is out too but I'm on my phone and can't share it right now

Project Judge is now just called Judgement - has full English dub but will also include both languages sub and dub and comes out in Summer 2019. Pretty fucking stoked. New trailer is out too but I'm on my phone and can't share it right now
Being a huge Yakuza fan, detective-type games fan, and a huge Takuya Kimura fan, I am super stoked for this too.

Being a huge Yakuza fan, detective-type games fan, and a huge Takuya Kimura fan, I am super stoked for this too.
Yeah I've seen lot of complaints that the game takes place in Kamurocho but honestly I love it. Despite the current Yakuza series having ended (I know Shin Yakuza will likely start it fresh a few years after 6 I guess or present day straight a year or two post 6) but I think it'll be really interesting and cool to play in the city in a totally different way in the total opposite role. From the demo yes combat is similar to the Yakuza games but now you're the detective investigating the Yakuza and their activities as opposed to being directly involved. Is it similar? Absolutely. But I think it'll be really cool to view the world I've now spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in with a new lens. Couldn't be more excited. Especially since it looks like they're really giving it the love and care it deserves

I'm also curious to see what other (maybe mostly Japanese) celebrity cameos they will have in the game and what impact if any they would have.

Did anyone's order from the Iffy sale actually have their orders ship? Mine's been waiting shipment for ages now... I'm guessing they're sold out/won't send but I have not received any type of communication from them. 

Eh, the AI is perfectly serviceable in FES, just put everyone on “knockdown.” As long as you focus on knockdowns, even on the higher difficulties, fights are so easy that unless you’re fighting significantly beyond your level, you should be finishing most fights before the main character’s first turn is over anyway.

Also, it’s interesting to note that Persona 3’s release date is actually just barely closer to the original Persona’s than it is to Persona 5’s. I mean, stylistically and in terms of gameplay P3 is much closer to P5, but in terms of timing it makes classifying modern vs “classic” Personas a bit awkward.
the ai is definitely not serviceable. Passable at best in fes and we all know the original was a fucking trainwreck. Watches as robot 2 uses garula on the same enemy instead of knocking all the enemies down. There is a reason why the series switched over to manual from p4 going forward.

the ai is definitely not serviceable. Passable at best in fes and we all know the original was a fucking trainwreck. Watches as robot 2 uses garula on the same enemy instead of knocking all the enemies down. There is a reason why the series switched over to manual from p4 going forward.
Ehh, it's fine, not ideal, but fine. I've been replaying P3P and, well it seems wrong to 'player control' in P3 to me. I've not had any problems progressing through Tartarus. You're absolutely right that some battles could have been handled more efficiently, but as the other poster said, the AI is "serviceable" (nothing more).

Refresh my memory though, I never did a significant playthrough of FES (just vanilla and P3P), does FES still have the annoying Mitsuru "Marin Karin" obsession?

The default AI tactics do suck, which is why they give you several instructions with which you can direct the party as a whole or individual party members. If you put the party on “knockdown” and you’ve had Fuuka analyze the types of enemies you’re fighting, they’ll try to knock enemies down successively. If they don’t have an attack the enemy is weak against, they’ll use a normal attack. The only real advantage of direct control over the AI knockdown tactic is is that AI support, if you leave them on a tactic that allows them to use support skills, is pretty random, so the MC is stuck using the appropriate skills if you want stat bonuses for tough bosses or whatever. But even that can be overcome with effective party composition (one member only has matarukaja, one only has masukukaja, etc.).

But again, if you’re frequently running into situations where any party members even get a turn before the fight is over, you’re either not keeping your level up with the enemies or fusing your personas wrong. By around level 15-20, you shouldn’t have much trouble keeping two decent personas on hand between which all common enemy weaknesses are covered, which means you very rarely have to switch personas more than once to cover every weakness on the field. Enemies only weak to dark or light are trickier, but they’re rare and you can generally beat them down fairly quickly with literally any attack they aren’t resistant or immune to. This isn’t a game that throws overwhelming odds at you.

Refresh my memory though, I never did a significant playthrough of FES (just vanilla and P3P), does FES still have the annoying Mitsuru "Marin Karin" obsession?
Yes, having her Mind Charge then use Marin Karin was the best, especially in boss fights....

Twinkle Star Sprites finally reissued. Or issued? First US console release AFAIK. Now we only need Moero Crystal English and I will never need another game.

Twinkle Star Sprites finally reissued. Or issued? First US console release AFAIK. Now we only need Moero Crystal English and I will never need another game.
Hold up what? Any link for this news???

Edit: googled it a bit and are you talking about being available on the Switch eShop?

Did anyone's order from the Iffy sale actually have their orders ship? Mine's been waiting shipment for ages now... I'm guessing they're sold out/won't send but I have not received any type of communication from them.
They were supposed to start shipping out on the 7th, but they were delayed until the 10th.

Ehh, it's fine, not ideal, but fine. I've been replaying P3P and, well it seems wrong to 'player control' in P3 to me. I've not had any problems progressing through Tartarus. You're absolutely right that some battles could have been handled more efficiently, but as the other poster said, the AI is "serviceable" (nothing more).

i didn't encounter it in fes but i didn't use mitsuru much because of the ptsd from vanilla. And something else the ai did in vanilla was use spells that healed reflect ect on enemies. but i only had that happen with mitsuru and once or twice with akihiko.

And before anyone asks yes they were fully scanned by fuuka.

I really hope if they do another version of three they fix fricken mind charge so that it is worth using like in the others. As I thought they had fixed it in p3p but nope same damage multiplier as the others.

I felt so guilty when I cheated on Yukari with Mitsuru...

Sometimes you gotta think of your future though, you know.
eh yukari is kinda your typical bitchy popular girl. Mitsuru is a fine lady who is smart to boot but lacks world experience and is naive like most princesses. Its also not like you had a choice dating any of the female social links. At least in vanilla. Not sure if fes had the option to friend zone em.

For Persona 3 I was more of a Fuuka guy myself. Probably not the most popular choice.
Fuuka might be the only major character I've encountered in a Persona game that I just actively dislike. I haven't run through a comprehensive list, mind you, but she's the only one I can conveniently think of offhand.

I hated everyone in Persona 3 equally. 

We've been in the dungeon for 5 minutes and you're all already tired!?  Suck it up!  We have a world to save!

For Persona 3 I was more of a Fuuka guy myself. Probably not the most popular choice.
I too was (am) a Fuuka guy. Purely by coincidence, each of my favorites in 3, 4, and 5 have represented the Priestess Arcana. Not sure what that says about me.

Fuuka might be the only major character I've encountered in a Persona game that I just actively dislike. I haven't run through a comprehensive list, mind you, but she's the only one I can conveniently think of offhand.
Me looking at you like
the-waterboy-20090806010802718.jpg

bread's done
Back