Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am torn over getting ToV: Definitive. I loved the game when I played it on 360 but $50 ($40 after GCU) seems a little steep for the new stuff they're offering. The mismatched English voice acting can be jarring as well from what I've read.
buy itttt

Isn't this the game that everyone is avoiding because the cartoons are less naked?
The feature known as intimacy mode was removed from the PS4 release. It's a dressing room feature where the player can use virtual hands to grope the characters until a heart meter fills up, at which point grabbing their hands initiate a kiss. Pretty much in line with the other game content Sony has been blocking recently.

The feature known as intimacy mode was removed from the PS4 release. It's a dressing room feature where the player can use virtual hands to grope the characters until a heart meter fills up, at which point grabbing their hands initiate a kiss. Pretty much in line with the other game content Sony has been blocking recently.
Well if I can't forcibly grope women then I don't want to play it either!

I wish I had friends to co-op this. My friends will likely be a beer and some random plush I have there.
Nothing wrong with a good drink! :) It helps that my sibling still lives close by and is a Tales fan. It sounds like Bandai might not stream / share play block this title, so I wonder if share play on the PS4 would be any decent?

It's a fairly difficult platinum with a lot to do. While some of it is fairly grindy (TIDAL WAVE BLAH BLAH BLAH!) a lot of it is also pretty fun and feels good to complete. This game is much more enjoyable to 100% than any of the games that have followed. Some of those secret missions, though, man...
damn yeager and the ma missions. oh and the second one for zagi. only way I found to do that one was activate over limit while zagi was overhead at just the right time. flynns use all moves one was so stupid since you are at the complete mercy of rng.

It's a fairly difficult platinum with a lot to do. While some of it is fairly grindy (TIDAL WAVE BLAH BLAH BLAH!) a lot of it is also pretty fun and feels good to complete. This game is much more enjoyable to 100% than any of the games that have followed. Some of those secret missions, though, man...
I completed it on the 360. It wasn't so much difficult as it was grindy, but it was a good enough game that I didn't mind at all. I can't speak for what the DE content will add to the challenge (there are more titles and costumes), but on another forum someone mentioned the secret missions aren't miss-able in the DE. If that's true then it's a lot less stressful.

I have only played the base original ToV on Xbox. I know I got the full 1000, but don’t remember it being hard, just time consuming. I think it needed 2.5 playthroughs.

Graces F was the really hard one, I didn’t even bother to try and platinum that.

I have only played the base original ToV on Xbox. I know I got the full 1000, but don’t remember it being hard, just time consuming. I think it needed 2.5 playthroughs.

Graces F was the really hard one, I didn’t even bother to try and platinum that.
Well yeah without a guide the item and monster collector alone will make things take a while. Plus there's the low level one which requires beating part 1 under level 15 iirc, speed run and max level achievements iirc. So for the low level and speed run ones that would be another 2 separate playthrough files though in the formers case you would only need to beat part 1.

Vesperia is the only title I bothered to get item collector in besides berseria. Vesperia was significantly less grindy to do so but did require following a guide since there are multiple missables. Rita has a timed piece of equipment in heliord or whatever the waterfall city was and that screwed me as I had judiths spear and every other piece of equipment on my second playthrough but that one. That shitty little piece of equipment.

Sorry, kinda random but I've had the Caligula Effect Asia CE for a while, and decided to do an unboxing for it. Sorry if I sound like I am doing a school presentation. Anyway, I tried to do one of those no-BS ones, and all I really do is show and talk about the CE here as fast as I could, to keep it under 3 minutes. Thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/8COAH51h0_w

I'll probably be streaming the game on my Twitch channel soon too.

https://www.twitch.tv/superswanton

Well done, BRW.   That's exactly how you do an unboxing video.

steelbook + cd soundtrack +art book, that's the build of a perfect collector's edition imo.

Great unboxing video, BRW. Straight to the point, showed every item off well, and wasn’t 10-15 minutes long like I’ve seen other unboxing videos do.

That is a very nice collector’s edition. I’m not really into steelbooks, but that one is awesome! Probably one of the best steelbooks I’ve ever seen.

Sorry, kinda random but I've had the Caligula Effect Asia CE for a while, and decided to do an unboxing for it. Sorry if I sound like I am doing a school presentation. Anyway, I tried to do one of those no-BS ones, and all I really do is show and talk about the CE here as fast as I could, to keep it under 3 minutes. Thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/8COAH51h0_w

I'll probably be streaming the game on my Twitch channel soon too.

https://www.twitch.tv/superswanton
Looks amazing! Would love to hear your thoughts of the game when you've played enough to formulate an opinion. I've bee eyeing to get this on my Switch when it releases later this year, but haven't seen many reviews of Overdose (only the original).

Best unboxing ever, 5 stars, would watch again! :p

the fact that there isn't a steelbook in the usa release is really making me want to import.

Anyone have opinions on the Operation Abyss / Babel games?  Debating the purchases before the psn sale ends in a few days.  I assume they're going to be like Demon Gaze?

..trying to divert my bitterness that my amz preorder of Vesperia won't be arriving until tuesday. 

Anyway, I tried to do one of those no-BS ones
H3p31iJ.gif

Stick with what you do best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x_lH4dP4ss

Anyone have opinions on the Operation Abyss / Babel games? Debating the purchases before the psn sale ends in a few days. I assume they're going to be like Demon Gaze?

..trying to divert my bitterness that my amz preorder of Vesperia won't be arriving until tuesday.
Babel is more polished than abyss. I personally think those 2 are lower middle tier Drpg for vita, not horrible like mind zero, but not as good as demon gaze 1 or 2.

Anyone have opinions on the Operation Abyss / Babel games? Debating the purchases before the psn sale ends in a few days. I assume they're going to be like Demon Gaze?

It is made by Experience Inc so yes. But expect dubs only since they could only fit one audio track.

In case anyone else was wondering..  there are two free dlc packs for Vesperia which are available on all platforms but do not show on the game's eshop page.  However right now you can manually search for them and add them to your account, even if you're like me and are still waiting on a shipment to arrive.

So I could download them on my 360?
vesperia 360 has 3 or 4 free dlc sets. maybe more as I remember trial skill packs for yuri and estelle, item set and I think a synthesis set. Trial skill sets are nice since you can equip them right away for recover and item thrower access which you would have to learn off equipment otherwise.

In case anyone else was wondering.. there are two free dlc packs for Vesperia which are available on all platforms but do not show on the game's eshop page. However right now you can manually search for them and add them to your account, even if you're like me and are still waiting on a shipment to arrive.
Thanks for the heads up!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA12027_00-TOV8ADDCONTENT02

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA12027_00-TOV8ADDCONTENT01

Curious, but did you play Demon Gaze 2? I tried for 20ish hours, and it's nowhere near as good as 1.
I got plat on both, 1 is def better in term of art style, music, and many things, but couple chars in 2 kinda grew on me too. I like em both and hope for a demon gaze 3 on switch or ps4 in the future.

I felt the party customization was a little lacking in Demon Gaze 1. Have 2, but haven't played it yet. I'm more used to like Etrian Odyssey type where you can customize your skills and such. Demon Gaze 1 was extremely polished though and easier for newer dungeon crawling players I'm guessing.

It appears to be slowly creeping downwards. I put in an order on Amazon around $23.80. It's worth a lot more than that, but I also don't know when it will bottom out. It could go even lower than this. It appears that retailers are looking to clearance it out. They did something similar for the previous Valkyria: Revolution game. Of course, that title had a considerably more tepid critical response. (is not considered very good) 4 is supposed to be great though, so it's worth keeping an eye on it for anyone interested.

It's amazing how much (poor) marketing has to do with a game's sales.  The same thing happened with the original Valkyria Chronicles on PS3.  They made a great game that received very good reviews and then no one bought it.   The hype machine is a real thing.  People need to hear other people, websites, and commercials talking about a game in order for publishers to sell lots of copies.  Otherwise they will just wait and buy it for $20 eventually. 

Sega is making fantastic games now and we all wait until they are $20 to buy them.  I think the bottom is going to fall out again. 

Conversely, look at Atlus games.  People buy them early so they can play them right away and be a part of the water cooler conversation.

Conversely, look at Atlus games. People buy them early so they can play them right away and be a part of the water cooler conversation.
They need to release in the proper time frame, too. Valkyria came out in late September. That's always clogged with a bunch of big name titles, so even if they did have some sort of marketing it'd be overshadowed by every other game.

Personally, I'd like to play the game, but I never finished VC2, and only half started the third game. I'm sure it's good, but it's not exactly on my must play list of backlogged games.

Never liked valkyrie chronicles.  The hit detection in that game is shit and very buggy.  And the enemies cheat with infinite ammo and crap on your turn.  If your units shot at them the way they do during your turn they'd die before ever getting near you.  Also not a fan of how the game is so balanced towards using scouts and capture the flag is the majority of maps.  Then the few times they do different maps it's bs like the giant mega death tank.

Never liked valkyrie chronicles. The hit detection in that game is shit and very buggy. And the enemies cheat with infinite ammo and crap on your turn. If your units shot at them the way they do during your turn they'd die before ever getting near you. Also not a fan of how the game is so balanced towards using scouts and capture the flag is the majority of maps. Then the few times they do different maps it's bs like the giant mega death tank.
I absolutely hate the fact whole VC franchise revolves around the scout capture flag mechanic (especially late game invincible scouts). But hey, how else would a tiny country like Galia win over the imperials lol?

I feel bad for Sega. Try to support them if you can. I always buy Yakuza games on release at least. I don't want a world where Yakuza games aren't localized anymore at least.

I feel bad for Sega. Try to support them if you can. I always buy Yakuza games on release at least. I don't want a world where Yakuza games aren't localized anymore at least.
Exactly. They are giving us what we want. But how many people went out and bought the Yakuza games, Shenmue, Sonic Mania, Shining Resonance, and Valkyria Chronicles? I don't know the #s but I'm certain that it was not many. Sega is even launching games at attractive price points and people still don't bite. It's a sad state of affairs. #supportSega

Exactly. They are giving us what we want. But how many people went out and bought the Yakuza games, Shenmue, Sonic Mania, Shining Resonance, and Valkyria Chronicles? I don't know the #s but I'm certain that it was not many. Sega is even launching games at attractive price points and people still don't bite. It's a sad state of affairs. #supportSega
Yakuza 6 just had the best western launch of the entire series. Like superxgaga said they are basically the same company as Atlus

I'm aware that Sega bought Atlus.  However they remain separate business entities.  My primary concern is Sega not doing so hot down the line, and it affecting Atlus' business. 

I absolutely hate the fact whole VC franchise revolves around the scout capture flag mechanic (especially late game invincible scouts).
So you don't have to play this way.. you can slow crawl across a map with your tank and engineers if you wanted. But yes scout rush was the easiest and most direct way to breeze past game mechanics in previous games. This was balanced a little better in VC4. And there are new units just as exploitable like the APC and grenadier.

Maybe SEGA is currently just more ubisoft-like in allowing new prices to tank, moreso than other publishers. VC4 digital was $29.99 as soon as November. FotN: Lost Paradise released even later than VC4 and has plummeted to $19.99 in previous weeks.

So you don't have to play this way.. you can slow crawl across a map with your tank and engineers if you wanted. But yes scout rush was the easiest and most direct way to breeze past game mechanics in previous games. This was balanced a little better in VC4. And there are new units just as exploitable like the APC and grenadier.

Maybe SEGA is currently just more ubisoft-like in allowing new prices to tank, moreso than other publishers. VC4 digital was $29.99 as soon as November. FotN: Lost Paradise released even later than VC4 and has plummeted to $19.99 in previous weeks.
Mission ranks tho

I always thought scouts being OP past a certain level was a bug. So if you want to play by exploiting it and saying it's bad, then that's partially on you.

I don't remember any issues with hit detection though?

Edit: Googling mostly confirms it? People are complaing about VC4's bad hit detection compared to VC1's.

bread's done
Back