Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I probably shouldn't get the Caligula Effect newer version. The old one I got through a few chapters at least. The story is OK, but the characters in general, including the main ones are a bit bland. It's an average game, which probably got more hype cause it has the original Persona games writer (1 and 2 both games I believe). I might just pick up Cold Steel 1 again. I have PC and PS3 already....I really don't need another version.

I'm afraid of staring the Cold Steel series because I know it's only half the saga. I don't suppose there's any news/hope out there that 3&4 will come state side somehow?

It was posted this morning which is what sparked the conversation.
I think he's asking if 3 and 4 will be released together like they were expected to do at one point.

I wouldn't expect it. They will probably see how the three console releases do this year and go from there.

Anyway I love the Trails series but am not familiar enough with NISA to be too opinionated about the news.. I just know YS VIII was a disaster and hopefully they've learned from it. Also hoping this means Alicia might get a new english VA

Off-topic, but is anybody going to the Fate Grand Tour in LA? I just bought my ticket and the movie is supposed to premiere on the 23rd.

https://fate-go.us/tour2019/
We'll be attending ACEN again and will be swinging by the booth to see what they have. ACEN 2018 was damn near sponsored by Fate/GO so not shocked to see them hosting the tour this year. I am really hoping Azur Lane makes an appearance there in some capacity.

Cautiously optimistic for Trails 3 and 4. Happy it is finally coming over and prompted me to preorder 1 and 2. Annoyed that NISA is handling the translation after the shit show that was Y's8.

Thanks, while I was referring to the 3&4 combo, I actually wasn't aware that NIS posted 3 officially (I missed the memo). Still sucks that it's $100 for just one game. I really hope there will be solid news of the 4th, and that maybe there will be a steelbook edition (as oppose to the TA edition).
That’s the CE. The regular price will be $60 as usual...

That’s the CE. The regular price will be $60 as usual...
I might be mistaken, but I think he was referring to how the steelbook for Cold Steel III seems to be limited to the $100 CE and not like the soon-to-be-released steelbook editions for Cold Steel I & II on PS4.

I'm glad you recovered, and hope you stay that way :) I've always like reading your posts, especially the review ones. So it is good to know you will still somewhat be around on CAG. Just take it easy, and stay healthy.

I know you mentioned you don't play on PS4 much, but I'd always be down to play something with you if you ever want :)
Forgot to reply to you yesterday, but I may still do reviews here and there when I'm feeling up to it. They take an hour or two to write out after I spend who knows how long thinking about the game. I know I wanted to do one for Dragon Quest XI, but it's a bit too late at this point for it.

I don't mind doing multiplayer either, but the biggest issue is determining what game. Outside of mostly PS+ indie games I don't have a whole lot that are multiplayer on the PS4.

So it looks like the people who worked on Trails before that are now working on Cold Steel III have been announced:

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1086320579903287296/

Translator: Ryan Thomson (CS1 & 2)

Localization Producer/Freelance Editor: Brittany Avery [Hatsuu] (FC/SC/3rd/CS1/CS2)

Editor/Consultant: Kris Knigge (CS1 & 2)

Having Brittany/Hatsuu in there is a big plus for me. Now I just hope they don't bomb the eventual PC port.

Nice. We'll get a good translation and a shit PC version. I'd still much, much rather see Xseed get this, as then the translation and  PC versions would be all but guaranteed to be winners. 

Nice. We'll get a good translation and a shit PC version. I'd still much, much rather see Xseed get this, as then the translation and PC versions would be all but guaranteed to be winners.
Didn't Xseed recently let go of a bunch of their translator staff? I don't know if we can assume going forward that the translations coming from them will be of similar quality as of past games.

Didn't Xseed recently let go of a bunch of their translator staff? I don't know if we can assume going forward that the translations coming from them will be of similar quality as of past games.
Maybe because NISA keeps stealing all of their projects! lmao.

In all seriousness, though, I was not aware of that. I hope that doesn't adversely affect them.

Xseed also just hired Atlus's Lead Editor

https://twitter.com/derkbramer/status/1083898871711821824

Jessica is back from maternal leave

https://twitter.com/HProtagonista/status/1084778912889085952

Nice. We'll get a good translation and a shit PC version. I'd still much, much rather see Xseed get this, as then the translation and PC versions would be all but guaranteed to be winners.
PC ports are an afterthought; a job done just to make money easily. I speak in regards to high profile JP games that have been released on Steam recently. It has been a concern of mine for awhile in the realm of PC gaming. These days, most cross-platform stuff is never developed with PC as a leading platform. Many games are fps locked at whatever they run on console, and then performance is even worse because of porting bugs and issues.

Master racers (like over in the Steam thread) are in complete denial of the shortcomings of their (only) preferred platform. They'd rather play a shitty botched job on PC then play a game on it's leading platform, that performs the best and is accessed the most conveniently. They don't buy anything either, so all their opinions run completely hollow regardless. They just bitch and complain about perceived slights.

PC ports are an afterthought; a job done just to make money easily. I speak in regards to high profile JP games that have been released on Steam recently. It has been a concern of mine for awhile in the realm of PC gaming. These days, most cross-platform stuff is never developed with PC as a leading platform. Many games are fps locked at whatever they run on console, and then performance is even worse because of porting bugs and issues.

Master racers (like over in the Steam thread) are in complete denial of the shortcomings of their (only) preferred platform. They'd rather play a shitty botched job on PC then play a game on it's leading platform, that performs the best and is accessed the most conveniently. They don't buy anything either, so all their opinions run completely hollow regardless. They just bitch and complain about perceived slights.
I mean this rings true with "some" JRPGS and from Japanese Studios but what other games run much more worse or are terrible experiences on PC than consoles?

I would like to point out 60 wasn't the norm for cold steel 1 & 2  both of those were around 40 or so at release with the special versions being 10$ more iirc but they were ps3 games.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Complete Edition released today. $70 on PSN: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA10093_00-SAOFBCOMPLETE000

Since no store has listed it, seems it will be digital only. If you want to go somewhat physical, physical base game is $20, season pass is $25, new/final dlc is $20, so $65 total. If you want cheapest price overall, probably best to wait for a sale on the digital complete edition.

Free SAO:FB CE dynamic theme: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA10093_00-TH00000000000005

While I have a similar view, I do think the tides are turning though. I'm always disappointed in a shoddy port, and the developer taking forever to fix a critical error and/or never fixing it. Once Valve make a better effort to mandate developers to at least have a non broken (technically speaking, not gameplay) games, I think PC ports will actually become the norm (ie: consoles will be the ports).

Ultimately, I do see Steam and Switch being the champions of JRPG, Anime, Niche, Retro, Indie, ect next gen. With Sony going full SJW and religious on their censorship, and the Japanese refusing to accept the Microsoft brand, we can only hope for the best...

Whew, it takes a special kind of stupid to believe this. Either you do the world's best parody of a child with a vendetta against a platform or actually believe what you say. Either way, bravo, I got a good laugh out of it. If you keep this up I might have just found my new favorite toy to play with while working.

PC ports for JP games have gotten better over the years if anything, with the exception being NISA and KOEI ports. Tales of Vesperia, Dragon Quest XI, and Ni No Kuni II are all really good ports, with Dragon Quest and Ni No Kuni being superior on PC. Even some lower profile stuff I think is better on PC, like Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet is better on PC because it's easier to play with keyboard/mouse IMO. I guess what I'm saying is that it'll depend on the publisher how much effort they're going to put into a port, and sometimes it's just a crapshoot. Sega has been making decent ports lately (Bayonetta and Vanquish are good examples), but Catherine sucks balls right now. I'm expecting them to fix most of the issues though.

From someone that's actually buying these ports.. they've been getting better overall, not worse. I agree some games are bug ridden and nearly unplayable on release.. which applied to the Secret of Mana remake and Chrono Trigger. They eventually did patch up Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger had most of the issues fixed from what I've heard. The only high profile Square Enix release I can think of that was never fixed was Nier. It's rare for any big publisher to not give a shit and leave a game broken, aside from the two I listed (NISA/KOEI)

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Complete Edition released today. $70 on PSN: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA10093_00-SAOFBCOMPLETE000

Since no store has listed it, seems it will be digital only. If you want to go somewhat physical, physical base game is $20, season pass is $25, new/final dlc is $20, so $65 total. If you want cheapest price overall, probably best to wait for a sale on the digital complete edition.

Free SAO:FB CE dynamic theme: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA10093_00-TH00000000000005
Play-Asia had a listing for the PS4 Asian edition but it's gone today?!?! Weird.

Whew, it takes a special kind of stupid to believe this. Either you do the world's best parody of a child with a vendetta against a platform or actually believe what you say. Either way, bravo, I got a good laugh out of it. If you keep this up I might have just found my new favorite toy to play with while working.
See these PC assclowns are everywhere. They suffer from insecurity issues and some sort of inferiority complex. Ignored

I just built a brand new gaming rig btw. (It's probably nicer than yours)

I mean this rings true with "some" JRPGS and from Japanese Studios but what other games run much more worse or are terrible experiences on PC than consoles?
I'm speaking mainly about a couple of high profile games from recent years which I was interested in purchasing that ran worse on PC like Nioh, Nier, and Monster Hunter World. Sometimes they get fixed, sometimes they don't. But in the case of MH:W it's depressing to think about how it comes out 7 months after the initial console version, it releases for $59.99 while the console version is being widely discounted, and yet it was still riddled in bugs. That kind of ecosystem can put a bad taste in your mouth. It eventually had fixes but then there are games like Nioh which were never really fixed. There are countless examples. You find them in Steam reviews, articles are posted in publications, and people post about them on forums.

Also I did not say that games on PC were terrible. I said that ports of JP games are often shoddy and that many of them perform better on console. The bottom line is that these games are not developed with PC as their leading platform, so therefore they perform worse on PC, and have worse comparative purchasing value to non-bias consumers.

See these PC assclowns are everywhere. They suffer from insecurity issues and some sort of inferiority complex. Ignored

I just built a brand new gaming rig btw. (It's probably nicer than yours)
Unf, keep going, nothing I love more than seeing someone getting riled up and tossing some sass my way.

Search -> Forum -> "PC + sucks"
Gasp!
ktpng.gif

(Feel free to swap out "PC" with "PS4," "Xbox," "Switch," or "Roger Watersmelon")

I'm speaking mainly about a couple of high profile games from recent years which I was interested in purchasing that ran worse on PC like Nioh, Nier, and Monster Hunter World. Sometimes they get fixed, sometimes they don't. But in the case of MH:W it's depressing to think about how it comes out 7 months after the initial console version, it releases for $59.99 while the console version is being widely discounted, and yet it was still riddled in bugs. That kind of ecosystem can put a bad taste in your mouth. It eventually had fixes but then there are games like Nioh which were never really fixed. There are countless examples. You find them in Steam reviews, articles are posted in publications, and people post about them on forums.

Also I did not say that games on PC were terrible. I said that ports of JP games are often shoddy and that many of them perform better on console. The bottom line is that these games are not developed with PC as their leading platform, so therefore they perform worse on PC, and have worse comparative value to non-bias consumers.
Ehh that's just the par with Japanese Developers especially this last gen with them bringing more of their titles to PC since all consoles are pretty much use the same PC based architecture, most of these games coming out to PC 5+ Years ago had no shot ever coming there except with the Major ones. The price vs consoles is whole other topic when comparing retail to only digital storefronts. Of course it shitty when these games are terrible ports and even at the same price or more expensive but most times than not you get a potential better performance with it being a decent port or fixes to it's counterparts. I game on both so I have no horse in this

Monster Hunter World on PC is more demanding than it really needs to be and did have some bugs--especially with connections. Those have really all been ironed out at this point, though--and mostly were not long after release. And, while one must throw a fair amount of hardware at it, my 1440p ~90FPS 120 hours with it have been completely incomparable to the console versions. A general rule of thumb for PC games is to wait a month or two for drivers and patches to fix things up and improve the experience. It's an annoying trend, but MH basically followed how Western AAA games are, too. If you want the objectively better experience, you just have to wait a minute for it sometimes. Thankfully, we all have hundreds to thousands of other games to make that wait much easier haha. 

I did Nier Automata on PC, and the widely used mod pretty much fixed everything up, but it's nonsense that I needed to do that for a game published by SE. I can't speak to Nioh. I won't touch a TK/KT PC port with a 10 ft pole. Japanese PC ports are starting to get better, as the publishers start to see that there is a market for it (hell, compare Dark Souls 1 to 2 or 3, as that's a massive difference). I really hope that this trend continues and that we continue to see improvements in the future.

PC is master race for eroge and always will be very likely. I know I will choose to play on there versus console a good percent of the time.

Speaking of eroge....time for VN news!

The Harachuchu translation was released by Loe Quality Translations. It's about a vampire that bites a guy and vampires need s*x so he needs to turn other people into vampires as well for those reasons. Honestly these games by the publisher Swaneye are generally fun enough, though I'm sure there will be some pregnancy stuff or something. That's in all their games.

VNDB (NSFW)

I also forgot last time to say that Boku to Nurse no Kenshuu Nisshi was translated. This one is about a guy doing his residency and he meets his old friend Mio, who is a nurse. He breaks his arm helping her somehow and she mentions that she should take care of him, since his residency was put on hold. He agrees and a love story between an intern and nurse begins. Honestly it could be worse, but I'm sure i'll play it since it's pretty short.

VNDB (NSFW)

One last reminder that next friday Hello, Goodbye comes out from NekoNyan. I believe it's banned from Steam and has a discount and you get the soundtrack for pre-ordering. It looks very good, and I will be buying it.

NekoNyan store website (NSFW)
VNDB (NSFW)

NISA have cold steel 3 posters at their pax booth if you pre-order, also have $5 coupons for their online store

Still can't believe shipping to Canada for CS3 CE is 65$ USD
They probably calculate "international" shipping the same way I do, and that's by having a flat rate to all involved. It sucks for Canadians, as it is probably the cheapest place to ship outside of the US, but is still considered international. I normally have potential buyers from Canada ask why my shipping is so high, and I explain and tell them it's often cheaper, I just don't have the time to set up shipping per countries. So if and when they buy something, I'll refund them the difference which sometimes can be close to half, especially for something costing $65 going someplace else(it would probably be in the 35-40 range).

They probably calculate "international" shipping the same way I do, and that's by having a flat rate to all involved. It sucks for Canadians, as it is probably the cheapest place to ship outside of the US, but is still considered international. I normally have potential buyers from Canada ask why my shipping is so high, and I explain and tell them it's often cheaper, I just don't have the time to set up shipping per countries. So if and when they buy something, I'll refund them the difference which sometimes can be close to half, especially for something costing $65 going someplace else(it would probably be in the 35-40 range).
How do you deal with duties do you just put it on them

Yeah, duties, fees, VAT, taxes, etc fall to the buyer, as I have no idea how any of that works and have no desire to find out. LOL
yeah, I send stuff up to a friend in Canada once in awhile, I ended up just opening a fedex account and shipping through that to put the duties on there, feel like there must be a cheaper method without putting it on her but ya idk

bread's done
Back