Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also a re-make of a GameBoy title. Not exactly the most challenging framework to labor on top of. It is likely that they could crank a Zelda Links Awaking re-make out fairly quickly, especially if they don't mess around with the design much.
Yeah, very true, but "N" takes the same cookie cutter formula for most of their games and still take ages to release, so I'm not holding my breath either way.

Hoping the existing ps4 and pc versions of DQXI will get the additional content in the form of dlc..
Seriously. I don't want to play the worst version of the game (on a technical basis), but I very much want all of the new additions!

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah 100$ for a calendar, soundtrack, art book and steel bookcase and outerbox is a little too much.  That's basically 10$ per extra.

Rune Factory 4 is an excellent game. I really enjoyed it and actually got an ending. I didn't do as much of the post game though. I will rectify that and do another wife when it comes out.

I started playing Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight. Seeing the updated character models is about as cool as seeing the updated locations in Resident Evil 2. I haven't been able to appreciate the updated locations in Dancing in Moonlight because I'm looking at the notes.

I’ve waited 6 years for Rune Factory 5 news finally yessssss
I honestly thought Rune Factory as a franchise was dead in the water. These 2 games (4 upgrade and 5) will be easy plays. Every Rune Factory game has been solid with my favorites likely being 3 and 4 because of all the stuff in the games. These are likely my go to Harvest Moon like games nowadays. I still haven't played Stardew Valley, but yeah Rune Factory is awesome!

Hoping the existing ps4 and pc versions of DQXI will get the additional content in the form of dlc..
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/square-enix-undecided-on-whether-vanilla-dragon-quest-xi-will-receive-definitive-edition-content

Asked by The Wall Street Journal’s Takashi Mochizuki if Square Enix plans to add these features to the vanilla version of Dragon Quest XI for PlayStation 4 and PC via an update or downloadable content, the company said that it is “undecided.”

I honestly thought Rune Factory as a franchise was dead in the water. These 2 games (4 upgrade and 5) will be easy plays. Every Rune Factory game has been solid with my favorites likely being 3 and 4 because of all the stuff in the games. These are likely my go to Harvest Moon like games nowadays. I still haven't played Stardew Valley, but yeah Rune Factory is awesome!
I kept a slight hope every single direct and now finally! And if you loved those games, I'd definitely recommend playing Stardew.

I'm under the impression if TMS did get ported to Switch, it would perform a lot of better since so many people have such a hard on for the Switch. 

Also. I wish we got the JPN CE for Catherine Full Body instead of the US CE. :lol:

Catherine-Full-Body-LE.jpg

JPN

Full-Body-Limited-Edition-696x392.jpg

US

I mean. Imma still preorder the CE though but I want that 4 CD OST. Hopefully a retailer has a preorder bonus like a poster or something

Man o man I just preordered  Devil May Cry 5 definitive edition on best buy because it was "no longer available" on amazon! Maybe they're running out of stock? Had to rush and get that order in. Don't want to miss those extras.

Is Catherine only available on Amazon? BB and GS doesn't have this listed. I hate the idea that it might be censored, but hopefully Sega/Atlus has a little more swagger and will be "forgiven" compared to the smaller companies.

The plushie sheep is better than the pop out glasses at least...

Is Catherine only available on Amazon? BB and GS doesn't have this listed. I hate the idea that it might be censored, but hopefully Sega/Atlus has a little more swagger and will be "forgiven" compared to the smaller companies.

I think I saw someone on here say that it “should” be listed on BB eventually just have to wait and see though as it would’ve a great price with GCU.

The official website has Best Buy listed as a seller; it just hasn't gone live yet.

So what is up with the PS4 version of RemiLore? Did it get canceled or something since no place has it listed anymore? The Switch version comes out Feb 26th.

So what is up with the PS4 version of RemiLore? Did it get canceled or something since no place has it listed anymore? The Switch version comes out Feb 26th.
It could be cancelled or it could be sold directly on Nicalis' web site. Rumors show that Nicalis is changing its business model (selling direct vs retail), but nothing has been officially announced.

Nah, fans have asked for the 2D version of dragon quest 11. Not for the localization of dragon quest 11 on the 3ds.
Actually, I would have loved to play this on my 3DS. Don't think I am the only one.

Including the 2D mode in the Switch version was a nice compromise though.

I was going to double dip and buy both 3ds and ps4 but since they didn't localize both I didn't pick up either.  switch I would probably get depending on what all they end up doing with it.  I always like to wait and see on ports.

I did not wait for the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI. Of course, I DID wait until the PS4 version went on sale for $35, so it's not as though no waiting occurred. We'll see whether or not I wait on the Switch version. They're putting enough tasty extras in it that it will almost certainly find it's way into my collection. I just pre-ordered the Trails of Cold Steel PS4 releases though, so I'm not going to be hurting for JRPGs. (I can't resist those steel-boxes, and the 4K support doesn't hurt either)

Nah, fans have asked for the 2D version of dragon quest 11. Not for the localization of dragon quest 11 on the 3ds.
You can’t play the game in pixel mode and polygon mode at the same time on Switch. Does the Switch version even have the old school polygon graphics of the 3DS one, or does it look like the PS4 one? So yeah, no, the 3DS version still sounds definitive to me.

You can’t play the game in pixel mode and polygon mode at the same time on Switch. Does the Switch version even have the old school polygon graphics of the 3DS one, or does it look like the PS4 one? So yeah, no, the 3DS version still sounds definitive to me.
Didn't you see the direct? You can switch between the two options on the fly. It's best of both worlds of the ps4 and 3ds version.

https://youtu.be/SCME2yPJKWk?t=667

@11:07

In case you didn't catch the rest of it, it also has an orchestral soundtrack which was a big complaint of the original. And an actual japanese dub.

Didn't you see the direct? You can switch between the two options on the fly. It's best of both worlds of the ps4 and 3ds version.
https://youtu.be/SCME2yPJKWk?t=667
@11:07
In case you didn't catch the rest of it, it also has an orchestral soundtrack which was a big complaint of the original. And an actual japanese dub.
Switching on the fly isn't the same thing as having both simultaneously, though. And the lower polygon models of the 3DS version are stylistically superior to the higher poly models, anyway.

In short: the west is still missing the best version.

I ordered mine from vgp.ca since it comes out cheaper due to the exchange rate and free shipping. This is my first order though. We will see how it works out in a few months

Switching on the fly isn't the same thing as having both simultaneously, though.
What the hell are you trying to say? You want to see both the 2D and 3D versions at the exact same time? Like half the screen is displaying it one way and the other half displaying it the other in some freaky disjointed mess? Y'know what? Don't even answer. I've had enough of this cat and mouse mind game of yours.

What the hell are you trying to say? You want to see both the 2D and 3D versions at the exact same time? Like half the screen is displaying it one way and the other half displaying it the other in some freaky disjointed mess? Y'know what? Don't even answer. I've had enough of this cat and mouse mind game of yours.
You should take a long, close look at a 3DS sometime when you have a chance—you can actually see it in some pictures, too, if you don’t have one handy. Now, it’s pretty subtle, most people never even notice, but if you look hard, you’ll see that it actually has two screens! Isn’t that wild?

So my Twitter feed is blowing up with Catherine SJW asspain. Fully expecting Sony to "localize" it now. 

bread's done
Back