Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand its due to them changing erika to eric because time travel nonsense which devalues ericas entire situation.

Atlus should really just leave such things alone as they have proven they cannot handle it or stick to their guns as shown with kanji from p4 being gay if you want him to be.

In case anyone didn't notice the dedicated thread, NewEgg has a 50% off code for a few different games and accessories (mostly headsets, though there's a keyboard and fightstick, too). Most games are available for multiple platforms. Seems like the deal will be expiring in a few hours.

Thread-relevant games include:
Warriors Orochi 4 - $25
Dragon Ball FighterZ - $15
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - $20
Soulcalibur VI - $25
FFXV: Royal Edition - $15
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle - $20
FFXV: Normal Edition - $15

These prices are after the discount, and most of them have a minimum $3 shipping fee unless you have NewEgg Premier. NewEgg also collects sales tax in most states.

Discount code is EMCTVUY27. I've posted the link to the eligible products below in a code box, since hyperlinks to NewEgg break in CAG for some reason; just copy and paste.

Code:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&N=8000&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PPSSWNELZLYTJF&bop=And&PageSize=96&order=BESTMATCH&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL021419&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL021419-_-EMC-021419-Index-_-50ACCs-_-L0D
Incidentally, can anyone recommend for or against Cross Tag Battle or Warriors Orochi 4?

Incidentally, can anyone recommend for or against Cross Tag Battle or Warriors Orochi 4?
There's been some drama about CrossTag Battle's DLC. I don't know the full details, but I believe that one of the DLC packs with some kind of story component became vaporware and is speculated to be re-released on a Definitive/Complete edition down the road. So I'd vote against that one, but I can't speak for Warriors Orochi.

There's been some drama about CrossTag Battle's DLC. I don't know the full details, but I believe that one of the DLC packs with some kind of story component became vaporware and is speculated to be re-released on a Definitive/Complete edition down the road. So I'd vote against that one, but I can't speak for Warriors Orochi.
So funny you mention that. I've been waffling on getting CrossTag Battle the last two days from this sale, just like I have during the last four newegg video game sales, but I have the same reservations that you have.

But I want to play it so badly!

In case anyone didn't notice the dedicated thread, NewEgg has a 50% off code for a few different games and accessories (mostly headsets, though there's a keyboard and fightstick, too). Most games are available for multiple platforms. Seems like the deal will be expiring in a few hours.

Thread-relevant games include:
Warriors Orochi 4 - $25
Dragon Ball FighterZ - $15
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - $20
Soulcalibur VI - $25
FFXV: Royal Edition - $15
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle - $20
FFXV: Normal Edition - $15

These prices are after the discount, and most of them have a minimum $3 shipping fee unless you have NewEgg Premier. NewEgg also collects sales tax in most states.

Discount code is EMCTVUY27. I've posted the link to the eligible products below in a code box, since hyperlinks to NewEgg break in CAG for some reason; just copy and paste.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&N=8000&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PPSSWNELZLYTJF&bop=And&PageSize=96&order=BESTMATCH&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL021419&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL021419-_-EMC-021419-Index-_-50ACCs-_-L0D

Back in January Newegg sent targeted discounts to residents of NY. SWXNY19 for 10% off an order and PREMNY for 3 free months of Newegg premier. Don't know if any other states got the offer but worth checking your email. The coupons expire on 2/18. Subject of email was Notification of Sales Tax Collection.

I'm doing this in the US, east cost. Where are you browsing from?

catherine screen.jpg
When they first posted about it the website was formatted slightly differently and had boxes underneath with all the retailers including Best Buy. It has since updated to having the drop down bars that add new retailers quite a bit after they’re actually available. If amazon is any guide as to availability I think Best Buy should be up for a while once it becomes available.

Does anyone know if the US Cathrine will have 11 Japanese voice actress DLC or not?
I wouldn't bet on it, but P5 did get dual audio on release so you never know. Everything about this game's western release is going to be a complete mystery until right before launch day.

The  issue at hand is a "Several years later" epilogue of a single path.

You can watch it here: https://sendvid.com/39ldd924

Catherine (the blonde one) went back in time with her demon powers so that she and Vincent become a couple earlier on in High School. Erica before transitioning to a woman does show up, but even in the vanilla game they make it clear she was still male at that point. A few people might have issues with that, but by and large the issue is the next part.

After the credits roll, it shows the cast (all in their present day looks) attending a wedding party for Catherine and Vincent. A character that was supposed to have died is now dating Katherine (the Brunette) and Erica is still male, but with Toby (a character who in the unaltered timeline would only know Erica as a woman.)  There's a line of dialogue that could be interpreted as Erica flirting with him. 

What it comes down to is implications. It's supposed to be a good outcome for everybody, but it looks like for Erica her life was "fixed" by living as a gay man instead of a transgender woman. Atlus isn't exactly known to have a good track record of LGBT issues but that's a whole different level of insensitivity.

I know everyone wants the eroge and VN news so here we go!

Mangagamer released their all ages otome Steam Prison. Looks to be very high quality, and I will pick it up somewhere down the road. Has a 10% discount till the 21st.

Steam

Their next release is Lilycle Rainbow Stage!!!. It's an all ages Yuri game and seems to have nice visuals. I may get this, but I usually wait for bigger discounts on Yuri games. It release March 14th, 2019 with a discount for pre-ordering on Mangagamer.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Nekonyan released the fandisc for Fureraba Friends to Lovers. It is extremely short and 18+. Each route is about 15 minutes long or so with 1 eroge scene. Honestly I'm not sure it's worth the money, but I got it for free for buying from their website.

NekoNyan Store (NSFW)

JAST Usa surprise released Lilium x Triangle which looks to be about a love triangle Yuri style. It looks short and such, but could be decent. There is a launch discount currently.

VNDB (NSFW)

JAST Usa store (NSFW)

9-Nine episode 2 was announced by Sekai Project/Denpasoft. The first episode came out recently. Cool as these look high quality.

VNDB (NSFW)

I wish I had the time, the energy, and the money to play some of those name-brand perverted beat-off games.   But I'm just glad that they exist.  :lol:

The issue at hand is a "Several years later" epilogue of a single path.

You can watch it here: https://sendvid.com/39ldd924

What it comes down to is implications. It's supposed to be a good outcome for everybody, but it looks like for Erica her life was "fixed" by living as a gay man instead of a transgender woman. Atlus isn't exactly known to have a good track record of LGBT issues but that's a whole different level of insensitivity.
How exactly was her life fixed? Is there context missing for someone to come to this conclusion? Erica was never noticeably miserable in the original game when she was shown as a woman. This is an alternate end that doesn't change the original ones as far as I can tell. If anything the original end for her could be considered more controversial because of her deliberately baiting that dude into sleeping with her without knowing her past.

Most Japanese games, anime and media as a whole don't buy into our current societal gender politics because it's not a priority over there. They cater to their immediate consumers instead of grandstanding for causes that gets them nowhere financially. People who play these kinds of games and expect Japanese ideals to conform to their own need to see the world for what it is instead of what it thinks it owes them.

You are missing the part where erica was unhappy during highschool and left for a while and then came back later.

But yeah the entire thing is a landmine.  But atlus is just being dumb here.

Agreed.

Fire emblem wise I haven't followed any of the news updates about it besides the release date announcement.  Have they confirmed anything gameplay/story wise like if it's going to have more than one protagonist such as sacred stones, blazing blade and echoes did?  Just curious about that in particular.  I did read that the main central character is the teacher and is level and such wise on par with his students but not much else.  Well kids supposedly wont be in it and I don't think there's much of a loss there outside giving gender or class exclusive skills to male children like galeforce in awakening and such.

I wouldn't bet on it, but P5 did get dual audio on release so you never know. Everything about this game's western release is going to be a complete mystery until right before launch day.
Thanks! I guess I will bite the Japanese version then.

Or you could watch the trailer for more info.

https://youtu.be/zRvgfs0m380

Dual audio is confirmed. 11-voice DLC is not described either way.
Thanks. Hope they will release the 11-voice DLC in the US

Agreed.

Fire emblem wise I haven't followed any of the news updates about it besides the release date announcement. Have they confirmed anything gameplay/story wise like if it's going to have more than one protagonist such as sacred stones, blazing blade and echoes did? Just curious about that in particular. I did read that the main central character is the teacher and is level and such wise on par with his students but not much else. Well kids supposedly wont be in it and I don't think there's much of a loss there outside giving gender or class exclusive skills to male children like galeforce in awakening and such.
Pretty much everything we know afaik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OwUB8gf5Ac

Just got a notification from BB that my Steins Gate Elite is on its way.  Totally forgot about it.

The art looks cute.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/to-all-of-mankind-teaser-trailer-first-details-and-screenshots

To-All-of-Mankind_2019_02-21-19_001.jpg

Just got my copy of the Ace Attorney Trilogy in from Japan - I'm kinda shocked how fast the shipping was.  I'm super hyped to be playing this on playstation  :bouncy:  And I love that it just defaulted to English and I didn't have to fumble thru menus looking for the option. 

If this comes to retail over here, I'll most likely double dip and grab a copy for Switch also.  I had the hardest time deciding which system to get it for.

Wow, ace attorney released on a non nintendo system?
Yep! The trilogy got ported to Playstation 4 and Switch. It is confirmed for US too, but I haven't seen any word on if it is coming physical yet. It was only about 32 bucks shipped from Japan tho, so I figured why wait :p

bread's done
Back