Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone played the visual novel World End Syndrome? Recently released for PS4/Switch. I've been eyeing it and have only found a few reviews online that have been generally positive. Was hoping to see if anyone here has given it a go.
I've been pretty interested in it as well, but it being digital-only is pretty disappointing... :(

Maybe I'll wait for a price drop

I swore the game off, due to its exploitative nature and episodic model. But damn, it actually looks really good.
Taking this 10 years to render all the new CG scenes, still havent seen more than a minute of gameplay or inventory or dialog systems yet.

That doesn't sound like Steve Burton as Cloud in the new trailer.

Also, Tifa is shown in the battle UI but her model is nowhere to be seen. I wonder why they're keeping her so secretive? Are they afraid to show her model because of her breasts?

I think she'd look pretty great.

OSclS5f.jpg

Time to vote for the reverse cover image of TLoH: Trails of Cold Steel III: https://thelegendofheroes.com/tocs3-cover-poll/

Cover #4 is the logical choice, and it makes sense that it's in first place.
For people who haven't played TLOH yet, why is #4 the most logical choice (aside from potential plot spoiling reasons)?

I voted #2 myself, but only because I felt it was a better main cover in the first place.

Who gives a crap about some shitty remake, Capcom finally made some Iceborne reveals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1818&v=DCJHFY85-Kc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4AoVUamhxo

More like who gives a crap about MonHun v.Casual? The series died after MHGU.
I see where you're coming from, how systems seem dumbed down or there's less monsters overall. Then I look at the amazing quality of life changes and how it has the best graphics and performance by far, all on the big three modern systems. You do you and live in your world, and I'll live in mine where I don't have to look up what MHGU stands for.

For people who haven't played TLOH yet, why is #4 the most logical choice (aside from potential plot spoiling reasons)?

I voted #2 myself, but only because I felt it was a better main cover in the first place.
I suppose #4 doesn't make as much sense to non-TLoH players (but then why are you considering the third game in a story-heavy RPG series? :whistle2:k ). If you know what the PS4 steelbooks for Cold Steel I & II look like, #4 of these alt images for Cold Steel III is thematically similar.

I suppose #4 doesn't make as much sense to non-TLoH players (but then why are you considering the third game in a story-heavy RPG series? :whistle2:k ). If you know what the PS4 steelbooks for Cold Steel I & II look like, #4 of these alt images for Cold Steel III is thematically similar.
As a non-TLoH player, I thought it was tounge-in-cheek as choice #4 is the only image shot from the 'reverse'.

Also a non-FF7 player, but Kingdom Hearts 2 made me fawn over Tifa, and that may have been her most *ahem* modest character drawing.

#4 seems more like a movie poster of a mech anime. I voted #1 but it seems pointless now.
Well, starting with CSI's ending..
A big chunk of the game IS very mech-anime-like.

I just find the CSIII and Falcom logos to look a little cheesy against the dark background in cover 4. I prefer how cover 2 has the logo in the top left for variety. I can see how Altina fans would like 1 but I think Sammy just dominates too much of the picture. I'm completely fine with getting 4 though.

Also, amazon just told me my :ps4: Cold Steel II release date was pushed back a week into June with another delay. Bleh.

I was just curious as voting ends soon. I haven't played them yet, but I did plan to binge play them in a row starting in June (once the 2nd is released).

After your rational of the solo pics on the first two steel books, #4 makes a lot of sense now. Kinda wish #2 was main, with #4 as reverse though.

*Mary Skelter 2 revisits the previous game by including the full remake of Mary Skelter: Nightmares

Improvements made in the remake have been reflected in Mary Skelter 2, for an even more intense experience.*
[media]https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1126957453428514816?s=20[/media]

Full PR Read:

Originally released for the PlayStation®Vita in September 2017, in Mary Skelter: Nightmares, powerful Nightmares actively stalk the player as you run through the dungeon—fight back with the dungeons’ gimmicks or the Blood Maidens’ abilities! Using a turn-based battle system, class changes, a blood-powered transformation system, and more, you and your party must solve the dungeons’ mysteries and satisfy the prison’s desires. In Mary Skelter 2, players can play the full revamp of Mary Skelter: Nightmares!

About Mary Skelter 2

Mary Skelter 2 evolves the core elements in Mary Skelter: Nightmares to bring to you a world teeming with twists and turns, topped with a new battle feature where the previous protagonist, Jack, is now a Nightmare. Players can use his Nightmare powers to defeat enemies, but at a maddening cost. Set in an alternate reality that includes familiar characters from the first installment, players must relive the torturous dungeon experiences and find ways to feed an almost insatiable prison. Will you be able to escape this prison and find sanctuary or will you fall into the clutches of madness?

Key Features

Don’t Go Chasing Nightmares – Each Jail has 3 desires that players will need to fill up to provide bonuses and satisfy the Jail’s mood. However, if the Jail’s mood worsens, players will notice a white mist, signifying that a Nightmare is near and ready to fight. If the Nightmare gets too close, players will enter “Nightmare Hunt” mode, where the Nightmare will chase you through the dungeon in real-time. Nightmares cannot be defeated unless players destroy the core of the dungeon. Otherwise, players will have to stun a Nightmare to escape!

Jack is a Dull Boy – Jack, the protagonist from Mary Skelter: Nightmares, has now turned into Nightmare Jack. He can still help you along the way, but be wary of his heart rate meter! Once his heart rate reaches a certain limit, he will turn into Ripper Jack, causing him to go berserk. When in Ripper Jack mode, Otsuu also risks going into Blood Skelter mode, which will cause her to go berserk too! With first game, Mary Skelter: Nightmares included, you can play through an alternate world where Jack is the main protagonist.

Go Directly to Jail – Add another degree of difficulty by setting dungeon conditions like “no saves or heals” with the Jail Trial battle system. Successfully completing a Jail Trial provides better item drops and more experience! Want more special bonuses to help you through dungeons? By collecting Jail Pieces, players can add these items to a randomized roulette that can have beneficial results!

Farm for Blood, Reap The Benefits – Use Blood Crystals to plant Blood Flowers, which can be harvested for additional items. In a dungeon area where Blood Flowers are planted, splash them with Marchen Blood by performing a critical hit on enemies during battle to get even rarer items!”

I passed on the very reasonable price of $4 for Mary Skelter on PSN over a month ago, and I am kind of annoyed right now. Censorship sucks and all, but I'd rather have 95% of a game than no game at all since I don't own a Switch. I seriously hope they will release a PC version because I'm not going to buy more hardware for a game that's already on PS4.

The Asia version of Mary Skelter 2 had a day 1 patch that did the whole steamy hot springs and light censor thing. Some of the clickbait sites reported it broke a game function involving touching the characters but never picked up on the images being changed so that's not as well published. 

The PS4 NA/EU version would have probably encountered the same issues so it was just shelved (pending a Steam version,) but since the Japanese version sold well enough they decided to port it to Switch. It was actually announced during a Neptunia focused live stream, so this is really just confirmation of a western release. 

so it's still up in the air if the switch version will still have the touch leveling up system and original images or come preloaded with the game breaking & censoring day 1 patch?

It's not going to be censored on the Switch release barring Nintendo having their own Omega Labyrinth Z incident. This is a standard Japanese release followed by a western release. The Asia PS4 version came out in October 2018 when companies had to quickly react to the content standards being updated. 

Some VN news:

I don't think I ever reported on Mangagamer announcements but they are localizing WanNyan ☆ à la mode! (18+ NSFW) from SkyFish poco and NyanCafe Macchiato (18+ NSFW) also from Skyfish poco. The first is about a prestigious culinary school that competes internally and you as the main protagonist decide which store to help and the 2nd is about a guy who has bad luck and works at a school and helps at his uncle's cat cafe and gets 3 girlfriends and it sounds like a nukige. Both will be bought whenever they release.

Also next week on 05-16-2019 The Most Forbidden Love in the World is being released by Mangagamer. There is a 15% discount on pre-order and they currently don't have plans to put it up on Steam. Easy purchase as it has comedy as one of its features.

Mangagamer (18+ NSFW)

My Little Sister Can't Possibly Have A Hemorrhoid was released by Fakku on their website. Supposedly it has good art.

Fakku (18+ NSFW)

Sankaku Renai: Love Triangle Trouble is releasing 05-31-2019 from Nekonyan. Another comedy looking VN with a few girls going for the main protagonist with 2 love triangles going on at once. One is his blood related sister I believe, so I know that's taboo for some. Easy purchase.

Steam

Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai's fan translation was released by Tsurezure Scans. I do have to say I have went through one route and the story and characters in this one are not super amazing honestly. Art is pretty good. Not a bad VN overall for what I've played, but it's a little average feeling too. Still not a bad play.

Translation page with patch

VNDB (18+ NSFW)

So they are making a new story of seasons other than doraemon? And I hope he isn't refering to getting rid of the sex option in the SoS games, how else would you make the baby? Just leave it on Switch. Forget Sony at this point

So they are making a new story of seasons other than doraemon? And I hope he isn't refering to getting rid of the sex option in the SoS games, how else would you make the baby? Just leave it on Switch. Forget Sony at this point
Yes they almost certainly have a SoS aka harvest moon game in development, and no those tweets were separate - he’s probably talking about Senran Kagura

SoS will definitely be on switch, maybe it’ll be on PS4 too though

Yes they almost certainly have a SoS aka harvest moon game in development, and no those tweets were separate - he’s probably talking about Senran Kagura

SoS will definitely be on switch, maybe it’ll be on PS4 too though
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/13/marvelous-talks-traditional-story-of-seasons-troubles-for-an-unannounced-sexy-game/

it seems the rumors of them under contract to spit out the next senran game for ps4 is most likely true, seeing how they had to lower their sales numbers indicates the next senran is a pass, well the only support for them for fans at this point is the pinball coming this summer, wish they would start porting or making games for switch, xbox or even steam though i know some are on their, just f*** u to sony would be better at this point, also seems that not only is the switch version missing the senran collab sets, but they wouldn't allow tk to put out nyotengus senran collab suit for this weeks release, also seems u might not be able to port it from venus if u have it but hopefully u didn't waist time with a ps4 release

bread's done
Back