Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were already under contract to make another game and Sony suddenly changed the rules of the game, that is BEYOND dirty. Sex appeal is one of the primary selling points of the series and Sony forcing them to neuter their game is knowingly cutting a huge chunk of its profits; customers will avoid it either out of principle or just lack of interest.

I just.. I just can't fucking support Sony after all of this. They can go to hell.

If they were already under contract to make another game and Sony suddenly changed the rules of the game, that is BEYOND dirty. Sex appeal is one of the primary selling points of the series and Sony forcing them to neuter their game is knowingly cutting a huge chunk of its profits; customers will avoid it either out of principle or just lack of interest.

I just.. I just can't fucking support Sony after all of this. They can go to hell.
I'm actually in the process of selling a lot of my PS4 games and getting them on Switch. Sony is killing themselves.

I wouldn't deny a certain thirst (couldn't even if I wanted to; just look at the last few posts I've made in this thread). But that's far from my only problem with Sony. I've been vocally unhappy with them for years.

A couple of observations:

1. It looks like a lot of the Switch-exclusive functionality is touch-screen related, which is kind of understandable
  2. I greatly appreciate that D3 took the time to call out the differences in such detail.
  3. Regardless of whether you care about the content being censored, this really highlights how obnoxious Sony is being.
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but instead I'm just disappointed.

PS4 gets the baby approved version   :baby:

[media]https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1128298921871249413?s=20[/media]

Atelier Lulua is out next week. PS4 and Switch users should be able to claim some limited time DLC from their respective digital stores. I don't think Steam lets you claim free DLC. As always expect the PS4 and Switch versions to hit $20-30 physical within a couple months. 

If you're going digital, there's a bundle of the game and first season pass for $74.99. Season Pass 1 (Costumes, music, extra hard area) is about $25 in Japan standalone then Season Pass 2 & 3 (Totori and Meruru respectively) are closer to $30. Each pack has the characters listed for about $10 each.

Best Buy GCU on a new copy and buying the first DLC pack alone is about $2 less than the bundle if the DLC pack is $25

Yeah, Steam still doesn't let you grab free DLC unless you own the base game. Though quite often the free DLC is included into the base game with Japanese games.

I'll be annoyed again if they stick the Atelier quality of life synthesis as DLC only again as it used to be included in the game itself.

Since they always drop to 20 or less there's no reason to ever buy them at launch.  All the more so since they love to enhance port these games.

I'll be skipping it as I have only played ayesha and own merry go round, eschatology, ronald mcdonald plus in my backlog.  Mana khemia and one of the iris trilogies as well come to think of it.  That and I'm not a fan of the games going sub only so I don't have much interest in buying the ones without english voice work.  Maybe when I run through my ever growing backlog.

I only heard about that game this morning. I'm interested, but not quite at that price.
It has a pretty decent demo.

Personally though I like everything about it besides the way the characters act at times and the combat which is just god awful. Should have made it regular turn based.

I am supposing that you all would be the perfect people to ask this question...

What is the MOST JAPANESE / ASIAN game that you have come across, or would recommend?

Lets start with I have been a console gamer a LOOOng time, and I LOVE JRPGs especially Turn Based.

The pre XV Final Fantasys, Phantasy Star series, Suikoden series, the Persona series, Dragon Quest series, so many to mention.
But, I am more than happy to branch out of turn based, if I felt they are done right.

The Tales series, Diablo series, Secret of Mana (I have not played the "remake"), Xenoblade, ect..
And even things like Pokemon, Disgea series, anime based, ect...

But everything I have played have pretty much been localized, and with all of the uproar about games being altered or censored when they come to the U.S. (I am looking your way, Sony!!) I feel that this should be enjoyed as the artist originally intended. I HATE censorship.

While I like the english, even english subtitles are fine, I am looking for a true experience.

Now that you know a little something about me, What would you recommend for the ultimate Japanese/Asian gaming experience?

Even if you think it is not for me, which ones did you really enjoy, or what left its mark on you?

Domo

What is the MOST JAPANESE / ASIAN game that you have come across, or would recommend?

Lets start with I have been gaming a LOOOng time, and I LOVE JRPGs especially Turn Based.

The pre XV Final Fantasys, Phantasy Star series, Suikoden series, the Persona series, Dragon Quest series, so many to mention.
But, I am more than happy to branch out of turn based, if I felt they are done right.

The Tales series, Diablo series, Secret of Mana (I have not played the "remake"), Xenoblade, ect..
And even things like Pokemon, Disgea series, anime based, ect...

But everything I have played have pretty much been localized, and with all of the uproar about games being altered or censored when they come to the U.S. (I am looking your way, Sony!!) I feel that this should be enjoyed as the artist originally intended. I HATE censorship.

While I like the english, even english subtitles are fine, I am looking for a true experience.

Now that you know a little something about me, What would you recommend for the ultimate Japanese/Asian gaming experience?

Even if you think it is not for me, which ones did you really enjoy, or what left its mark on you?

Domo
DDR arcade machine and UFO catcher.

dance-arcade-machine-game-for-hire-600x600.png

2461689591_63edde5b52_b.jpg
[

That’s a pretty broad question, but these are some that I can think of off the top of my head:

* Ni No Kuni - turn based
* Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4 - turn based strategy
* Rabi Ribi - Metroidvania
* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - the “vania” in Metroidvania
* Nier: Automata (action-RPG)
* Ys (any of them) - action RPG

I like platformers and like progression-systems so the Metroidvanias have been scratching that itch pretty well.

The recent Yakuza localizations (5, 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, FotN: Lost Paradise (if you count that)) have had an extremely light touch with the localization, which is nice because they are super Japanese games. I don’t remember if this applied to 4, too, but I remember 3 had a bit of cut content, and the original releases of 1 & 2 had a pretty bad translation.

Ganbare Goemon(Mystical Ninja) series, love the series and wish more of the games were localized. Although they definitely were victim to some over-localizing with name changes and such in the original SNES game and the vocal opening being axed from Goemon's Great Adventure on N64. I would really like for the series to come back, but Konami.

The Yakuza series is probably the most Japanese game... I can't even think of anything more Japanese except maybe like Persona.

It takes place in Japan, the characters are Japanese, they speak Japanese, they eat Japanese food, they fight with Japanese weapons, the story is Japanese-based... everything you can think of is Japanese except for Miracle Johnson.

The Yakuza series is probably the most Japanese game... I can't even think of anything more Japanese except maybe like Persona.

It takes place in Japan, the characters are Japanese, they speak Japanese, they eat Japanese food, they fight with Japanese weapons, the story is Japanese-based... everything you can think of is Japanese except for Miracle Johnson.
Nah I would say yakuza is more jpn than persona is. Especially as I understand it yakuza is based on actual places and their attention to detail of kamurocho sp? is highly praised.

Yakuza games have tons of Japanese culture in them. It's just oozing with daily life stuff.

Second would be akiba's trip if you want an akihabara specific anime pop cultural experience.

Nah I would say yakuza is more jpn than persona is. Especially as I understand it yakuza is based on actual places and their attention to detail of kamurocho sp? is highly praised.
kamurocho isn't an actual place, it's a combination of Tokyo's shinjuku & Osaka's dotonbori strip. So think of it like if you made a town that was half NYC half LA. but yea it's super spot on the locations used.

Having played yakuza first than going to the actual places was surreal like going somewhere new for the first time yet feeling so familiar.

Nicalis's store just launched: https://store.nicalis.com/

None of the mythical Vita games yet, but they did distribute a discount code for your first purchase: 15OFFONJOIN

RemiLore is in stock and I know a bunch of people were talking about it earlier. Figured it was worth sharing here as well, even though I don't know if their games are technically Japanese.

I'm not going to lie. I'm not an enjoying The Most Forbidden Love in the World very much. The main character is a massive wuss and idiot honestly. I thought the guy in Sakura Sakura was wishy washy, but this guy is worse. Also the engine just doesn't work that good for text. It doesn't display all the characters fully until i look at the history. Very annoying game. I don't know why the main character has the mindset of oh yeah if someone does good from my misery I'm OK with that. He's also mr. apologize for everything. Also the game is quite depressing, but not in a good way like Trinoline. I will finish a route but this is not turning out very good. If this idiot doesn't grow a backbone anytime, I'm done after that one route.

kamurocho isn't an actual place, it's a combination of Tokyo's shinjuku & Osaka's dotonbori strip. So think of it like if you made a town that was half NYC half LA. but yea it's super spot on the locations used.

Having played yakuza first than going to the actual places was surreal like going somewhere new for the first time yet feeling so familiar.
Ooh that's cool that you've been to the places irl.

I thought Sotenbori was based on Osaka's Dotonbori, not Kamurocho

I should have been more specific. Kamurocho sp? is based on real places in japan. From what I understand It is based on the real-world Kabukichō? And they have other places in game based on real locations. That was just the one that came to mind.

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the Persona Q2 premium edition from Amazon get charged for it? I got a pending charge in my account for the same amount as the premium edition. Doesn't even let me edit the order or anything.

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the Persona Q2 premium edition from Amazon get charged for it? I got a pending charge in my account for the same amount as the premium edition. Doesn't even let me edit the order or anything.
Mine hasn't been charged. But I did notice that the Premium edition is no longer available on amz, wasn't expecting that.

Indiegala is giving away DRM free copies of War of the Human Tanks. It's a strategy game with a VN style story.

Atelier Lulua soon. Get Hype
Neat thanks for the link! I like srpgs so that game seems like it would be right up my alley. Still working on fairy fencer f advent dark force. Apparently there was a bit of rape murder and prostitution in the original so I dodged a bullet with that stuff being removed from the enhanced port.

rape murder and prostitution in... fairy fencer? i played the original on ps3 till platinum and i don't remember any of that.
unless you mean atelier lulua, i hear that series is hardcore :p

rape murder and prostitution in... fairy fencer? i played the original on ps3 till platinum and i don't remember any of that.
I don't recall it either. Also, I believe it was Atelier Totori that had "High Impact Sexual Violence" in its rating description. Totori was certainly one of the darker Atelier stories though. I still wonder what caused that rating description. Must have been some weird CG scene that I don't remember anymore.

I don't recall it either. Also, I believe it was Atelier Totori that had "High Impact Sexual Violence" in its rating description. Totori was certainly one of the darker Atelier stories though. I still wonder what caused that rating description. Must have been some weird CG scene that I don't remember anymore.
It was the scene where Tiffani is drunk and molests the girls that gave them the higher rating.

gTtiFYd.jpg
[

you joke but totori did have that drunk groping stuff.

and yeah from what I read fff had it so that tiara gets raped by sherman williams after the hot spring event which is why he leaves the party since he goes crazy. It may not have been in the english release of fff then if neither of you remember it then.

bread's done
Back