Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note for those who went for this deal that I posted last week. Although it is now out of stock online, the price has been dropped to $18. If you call them up, they will adjust it to the lower price (and make sure to ask them to apply GCU again, if you still have it).

KfpxPIB.jpg

Wonder if there will be a Limited Edition for that Date A Live game on the IFFY store?

If so, that'd probably be the only reason I'd pick it up brand new.

Got a network test key for Code Vein for this weekend. Just dropped by to let you guys know emails are going out for it. Starts tonight until Monday

Play-Asia will be releasing physical copies of Omega Labyrinth Life on August 1st.

Switch: $119.99 (LE) / $59.99 (Standard)

http://elnk.play-asia.com/u/gm.php?prm=8JpE2m3BvJ_789561047_222259_463975

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Im debating whether to buy it or not based if this game is Asia only. Is this game a Japan region exclusive game? I was trying to find out if this game will be coming to the west later this year or maybe next year but I couldnt find any info about it.

Im debating whether to buy it or not based if this game is Asia only. Is this game a Japan region exclusive game? I was trying to find out if this game will be coming to the west later this year or maybe next year but I couldnt find any info about it.
D3 wanted to, but finding a publisher in the West willing to do it is extremely difficult. No one (even PQUBE) would want to get burned again.

"Omega Labyrinth Life‘s official site was updated with a self-parodying list reflecting the differences between the PS4 and Switch versions. The list begins by listing obvious differences between any PS4 and Switch games, like the lack of trophies on Switch. Both versions’ technical specs are identical as well with both running at unstable 60 FPS. The Switch and PS4 version are both in 1080p, with the Switch handheld mode at 720p.
Midway through, the list starts explaining the PS4 difference in sexual fanservice with jokes and pun-based game system names I’m not paid enough to properly translate:

Basically, Omega Labyrinth Life has a touch and rub system. Earning more points makes the girls get naughtier,  start undressing, revealing their underwear, and making more explicit noises. You won’t see all that in the PS4 version and only get the normal version of the Touch Events illustrations.

The “Boobs Identification” system, which was in past Omega Labyrinth games, is only in the Switch version. This is the system where you need to identify items found in dungeons by rubbing them between the breasts of a character.

The “Boobs Rock Paper Scissors” system is only in the Switch version. Basically, in dungeons, you can find “janken tickets”. If your party gets defeated while holding a ticket, you get to play boobs rock paper scissors, and you’ll keep all your items if you win. Pressing breasts together is Rock, moving them up and down is Scissors, moving them apart is Leaf.

The hot springs’ events illustrations have less steam covering the characters in the Switch version, and you can only interact with the hot springs illustrations with the touch system on Switch.

The character Seika Flora, the small green flower spirit who helps the girls in Omega Labyrinth Life, can only be touched in the Switch version’s Touch Events.

The PTA System is only on the Switch version. This was in past Omega Labyrinthgames too. It’s the system which lets players interact with the characters’ breasts during any dialogue or menu displaying their portraits.

The table ends with a few more details. The opening and ending animation sequences are slightly different on PS4 and Switch as they use in-game illustrations. Everything else from skills, the story, characters, monsters, and dungeon design are the same in both versions. Lastly, D3 Publisher stated that the breast expansion system, with the characters’ illustrations changing depending on breast sizes, is in both versions. That both small and big breasts can get bigger up to Z-Cup in both versions, and that all breasts are to be loved regardless of the version.

In short: the naughtiest illustrations are only on Switch. The touch system elements are also in the PS4 version, but heavily downplayed and can’t be used on one character. "

TLDR: don't bother with PS4 version.

I beat Gravity Rush: Remastered. It was really enjoyable. The combat was fairly simple, and it wasn't very long. But, changing gravity to fall wherever you want felt great, and I liked the main character.

I have Gravity Rush 2, but I'll let some time pass before I play it.

"Omega Labyrinth Life‘s official site was updated with a self-parodying list reflecting the differences between the PS4 and Switch versions. The list begins by listing obvious differences between any PS4 and Switch games, like the lack of trophies on Switch. Both versions’ technical specs are identical as well with both running at unstable 60 FPS. The Switch and PS4 version are both in 1080p, with the Switch handheld mode at 720p.
Midway through, the list starts explaining the PS4 difference in sexual fanservice with jokes and pun-based game system names I’m not paid enough to properly translate:

Basically, Omega Labyrinth Life has a touch and rub system. Earning more points makes the girls get naughtier, start undressing, revealing their underwear, and making more explicit noises. You won’t see all that in the PS4 version and only get the normal version of the Touch Events illustrations.

The “Boobs Identification” system, which was in past Omega Labyrinth games, is only in the Switch version. This is the system where you need to identify items found in dungeons by rubbing them between the breasts of a character.

The “Boobs Rock Paper Scissors” system is only in the Switch version. Basically, in dungeons, you can find “janken tickets”. If your party gets defeated while holding a ticket, you get to play boobs rock paper scissors, and you’ll keep all your items if you win. Pressing breasts together is Rock, moving them up and down is Scissors, moving them apart is Leaf.

The hot springs’ events illustrations have less steam covering the characters in the Switch version, and you can only interact with the hot springs illustrations with the touch system on Switch.

The character Seika Flora, the small green flower spirit who helps the girls in Omega Labyrinth Life, can only be touched in the Switch version’s Touch Events.

The PTA System is only on the Switch version. This was in past Omega Labyrinthgames too. It’s the system which lets players interact with the characters’ breasts during any dialogue or menu displaying their portraits.

The table ends with a few more details. The opening and ending animation sequences are slightly different on PS4 and Switch as they use in-game illustrations. Everything else from skills, the story, characters, monsters, and dungeon design are the same in both versions. Lastly, D3 Publisher stated that the breast expansion system, with the characters’ illustrations changing depending on breast sizes, is in both versions. That both small and big breasts can get bigger up to Z-Cup in both versions, and that all breasts are to be loved regardless of the version.

In short: the naughtiest illustrations are only on Switch. The touch system elements are also in the PS4 version, but heavily downplayed and can’t be used on one character. "

TLDR: don't bother with PS4 version.

You guys know how weird this makes you look, right?

Yea, I generally like any fanservice to be purely aesthetic. When it starts bleeding into actual gameplay mechanics it starts becoming less appealing to me.

Still prefer the uncensored version.

The rub mechanic gets old for sure. I'm already tired of it in Moero chronicle and I became tired of it in Monster Monpiece. The torture systems in Criminal Girls 1 and 2 became repetitive too (though #2 was a lot more innovative and not as tiring). Just kind of a silly mechanic along with the poking mechanic, though I am guilty of poking the shop keeper in one of the Senran Kagura games haha. I never care for censorship though, and feel I just want to play things as they were intended. I'm sure i'll get the Switch version if I get that game. Plus being portable rocks!

i personally think the rubbing in games is crap but still want sex and nudity to be as common and accepted as shooting people in heads an killing over an over been the only point of of a game.
Sex and nudity is part of my normal life. I don’t need it in games. Big explosions and violence Is not part of my normal life and I don’t mind it in games ... to a point. I don’t mind minor fan service like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I don’t need it in the games and the only reason someone wants to add it in is to appeal to a certain demographic not some artistic vision. It really doesn’t need to be in any games... but it certainly helps some lower quality stuff sell since certain people will buy it.

Sex and nudity is part of my normal life. I don’t need it in games. Big explosions and violence Is not part of my normal life and I don’t mind it in games ... to a point. I don’t mind minor fan service like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I don’t need it in the games and the only reason someone wants to add it in is to appeal to a certain demographic not some artistic vision. It really doesn’t need to be in any games... but it certainly helps some lower quality stuff sell since certain people will buy it.
i don't mind opinions but that the mind set i wish would break, once again murder,beating people,stealing,drugs all can be found in games even AAA games and is considered great games that sell well even winning GOTY for some.

sex and nudity is part of normal life but yet is look down on, and if featured it's in a game it low quality to sell some cheap game. so why cant their be a AAA game with nudity sex and not be a negative? why does only the ones with " issues " need those game were anyone wanting to kill gets games a dime of dozen an we smile and say yea i played that game too.

am not signing an petition to make those games more common, i keep finding the niche that let me enjoy the one already made, just hate the bias of what already exist is " fine" but if you tried add anything i find taboo you breaking what works and doom us all, so it shit game that should never be made.

You can blame censorship issues on "Me too" awareness and sexual violence and harassment in America.  America's sensitivity towards the taboo of the sexualization of young persons is a major factor too.  Other countries simply don't care about that in the way that our country does.  But we also have a history filled with heinous sexual crimes and publicized serial killers.  News travels at lightning pace now so we hear about more stuff than ever before.  Ultra modern forensics and genealogy are also suddenly convicting in a bunch of major crimes from the past. Things are changing. 

Other countries likely have some of these problems but they aren't in the public eye.  They have also had less major publicized crime and fewer problems in the realm of the sexual objectification of minors that has gone public.  Perhaps it is all obfuscated and not talked about.  We could be victims of our own truthfulness in a sense.  Because I for one certainly don't believe that other countries just happen have less statutory rape, incest, and sexual crimes than we do in America.  Probably just worse policework, prosecution, and media. 

The climate is only becoming more conservative in these legal areas too if you you know what's currently going on at the state lawmaking level. 

Not to say Sony’s current censorship policies aren’t mostly on the new Californian overlords, as they may well be; but it’s worth noting that Japan’s been cracking down with heavier censorship across the board for the past few years, as well.

You can blame censorship issues on "Me too" awareness and sexual violence and harassment in America. America's sensitivity towards the taboo of the sexualization of young persons is a major factor too. Other countries simply don't care about that in the way that our country does. But we also have a history filled with heinous sexual crimes and publicized serial killers. News travels at lightning pace now so we hear about more stuff than ever before. Ultra modern forensics and genealogy are also suddenly convicting in a bunch of major crimes from the past. Things are changing.

Other countries likely have some of these problems but they aren't in the public eye. They have also had less major publicized crime and fewer problems in the realm of the sexual objectification of minors that has gone public. Perhaps it is all obfuscated and not talked about. We could be victims of our own truthfulness in a sense. Because I for one certainly don't believe that other countries just happen have less statutory rape, incest, and sexual crimes than we do in America. Probably just worse policework, prosecution, and media.

The climate is only becoming more conservative in these legal areas too if you you know what's currently going on at the state lawmaking level.
Are you saying we should be less sensitive about the sexualization of minors? My alarm bells are ringing.

i don't mind opinions but that the mind set i wish would break, once again murder,beating people,stealing,drugs all can be found in games even AAA games and is considered great games that sell well even winning GOTY for some.

sex and nudity is part of normal life but yet is look down on, and if featured it's in a game it low quality to sell some cheap game. so why cant their be a AAA game with nudity sex and not be a negative? why does only the ones with " issues " need those game were anyone wanting to kill gets games a dime of dozen an we smile and say yea i played that game too.

am not signing an petition to make those games more common, i keep finding the niche that let me enjoy the one already made, just hate the bias of what already exist is " fine" but if you tried add anything i find taboo you breaking what works and doom us all, so it shit game that should never be made.
AAA games have sex and nudity: God of War, GTA, The Witcher, etc.

Where you lose people is animated girls that look prepubescent or needing to push two cartoon titties together to play rock, paper, scissors. It's not because they're prude, it's because that's fucking weird.

AAA games have sex and nudity: God of War, GTA, The Witcher, etc.

Where you lose people is animated girls that look prepubescent or needing to push two cartoon titties together to play rock, paper, scissors. It's not because they're prude, it's because that's fucking weird.
I agree that characters that look and act blatantly underage in sexual situations is awful, and is generally the only time I support censorship.

Titties rock, paper, scissors sounds pretty great to me, though.

You can blame censorship issues on "Me too" awareness and sexual violence and harassment in America. America's sensitivity towards the taboo of the sexualization of young persons is a major factor too. Other countries simply don't care about that in the way that our country does. But we also have a history filled with heinous sexual crimes and publicized serial killers. News travels at lightning pace now so we hear about more stuff than ever before. Ultra modern forensics and genealogy are also suddenly convicting in a bunch of major crimes from the past. Things are changing.

Other countries likely have some of these problems but they aren't in the public eye. They have also had less major publicized crime and fewer problems in the realm of the sexual objectification of minors that has gone public. Perhaps it is all obfuscated and not talked about. We could be victims of our own truthfulness in a sense. Because I for one certainly don't believe that other countries just happen have less statutory rape, incest, and sexual crimes than we do in America. Probably just worse policework, prosecution, and media.

Oh those things are definitely true regarding them not being as publicized. There's also the fact that the population is pretty high here so of course crime rates and such would be as well. They also seem less strict about the laws regarding things as well in outher countries such as japan given cases like ruroni kenshins author got off with a small fine of around 5k iirc after child pron and planning solicitation of a minor. They pulled his stuff for a time but it went right back up shortly after. Of course this is japan so they have far weirder values and what they get upset about. That actor from judge or whatever had his entire career burned and salted the earth for doing drugs as an example.

I do have to point out that there are countries with far stricter laws about violence and such in videogames though so acting like america is the only one bothering with censorship or this is new is just ostrich head in the sand level. Australia and china are 2 big ones I know of off hand. And before some dumbass replies that ostriches don't actually put their heads in the sand. Yes I know they don't actually do that in real life. it's a god damn metaphor/saying.

Moving on A lot of games with such violence in them get m ratings. Usually anyway. There are cases like the one wolverine killing nazis game that got E for everyone and slip through the esrb. The reason sexual content gets censored instead is due to them not wanting to go with higher ratings as that lowers sales. Or at least that is the commonly given excuse which is pretty believable imo. I mean when was the last time any of you even saw a stuff like that with an M rating or AO?

My only issue would be that sony like nintendo during the wiiu era is getting a little too over reactive/over policing to censoring things like with dmc5 that are harmless to begin with and its already an m rated game.

Can't wait for them to turn underwear into diapers/granny panties like that wiiu game xenoblade something.

Not to say Sony’s current censorship policies aren’t mostly on the new Californian overlords, as they may well be; but it’s worth noting that Japan’s been cracking down with heavier censorship across the board for the past few years, as well.
I wasn't aware of japan doing anything. Only stuff I have heard was censorship trickling down to other regions sony wise.

Disney and Nickelodeon have been doing this for years with actual minors. But Sony says it's totally not okay to do it with fictional characters. How brave.
Um what? I really cannot recall any sexualization on nick or disney outside some minor low level stuff like shirtless dudes working on cars on victorious or sam and cat (same dude in both shows oddly enough). And in those cases they wern't actual minors iirc. In most cases the characters playing teens on tv typically are adults because of child labor laws and what not making it easier to just hire adults. Which is all the weirder when you see them in other stuff like clarks actor from smallville being the boyfriend on judging amy.

Why do I feel like your argument is that Sony is in the wrong rather than Disney and Nickelodeon? Ring a ding ding.
Because you want it to fit your personal narrative. Don't be thick.

I wasn't aware of japan doing anything. Only stuff I have heard was censorship trickling down to other regions sony wise.
There hasn't been much censorship in Japan at all outside of a few instances. Sony has been making creative studios back in Japan reevaluate their content because of what the West has been pushing as of late. Like how the Senran Kagura producer left Marvelous because of the new regulations. Sony's smart to skip this E3 because they're hoping people forget about it and clamor for whatever the PS5 is. I'm starting to game less and less on home consoles so I don't really care what they have in store since everything is multiplat eventually and their exclusive games are typically "cinematic" experiences that have zero gameplay engagement.

Oh nice, the censorship topic again with people repeating the same things that have been said a million times before in this thread.

If you all were smart you'd just be copying and pasting your comments from last time instead of going through all that work typing the same thing out again.

Oh nice, watch me contribute literally nothing to any conversation ever but still act like I'm above it all when I complain about something I don't want to read about. 

Oh nice, watch me contribute literally nothing to any conversation ever but still act like I'm above it all when I complain about something I don't want to read about.
Nah, I'll watch you complain about Sony not stopping Disney and Nickelodeon instead, because that's totally not a false equivalence.

Nah, I'll watch you complain about Sony not stopping Disney and Nickelodeon instead, because that's totally not a false equivalence.
Not stopping Disney? I'm saying that our societal outrage over sexuality is full of obscene double standards. The entirety of our popular culture is so ingrained with violence that we can elevate things like Mortal Kombat and The Last of Us as a proper representation for video games but anything that deviates from a puritan approach to sexuality is looked down upon immediately. We groom our children with suggestive programming, outrageous pop icons, and sexualized preteen social media influencers and still chastise niche creators for not adhering to our preposterous entertainment standards. It's an incredibly slippery slope that I don't want anyone to take part in.

I’m not talking about Sony specifically, just Japanese media in general. Even the censorship in porn has gotten significantly heavier in the past three or four years.

...or so I’ve heard. *cough*

bread's done
Back