Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine shipped today! I shouldn't have doubted Best Buy.

Anyway, odds of this becoming valuable? Aw, who am I kidding, I was going to double dip to support the franchise.

The Etrian Odyssey franchise.
Mine was just shipped, expected to be delivered on the 6th, so still 2 day delay from release date delivery.
If persona Q was any indication, it's not gonna be rare.

tumblr_o1yfuimvSM1sg9gi2o1_540.gif

bow to the anime titties
I will bow down to Bulma anytime. And Android 18

Picked up Trains II today from BB, so got a copy of PQ2 PE just in case while I was there since my shipment was also delayed. I'll just return the other if/when I get it.

He hurt people's feelings. If it sits outside others narrow vacuum, they can't tolerate it. Typical.
That user was a new account and he practically went straight here to attack what he perceived as weeaboo nerds mad about losing out on anime titties. If that didn't even at least ring a red flag to you...

Even after mentioning how bias censorship is affecting both the player base and developers, said user demanded justification of all censorship which is unrelated to the grievances expressed by the community. Going beyond would have been political and off topic.

It's a fact that he purposely lead the discussion beyond the scope of niche gaming. Freedom of speech is great, but you can't use it to incite violence or defamation. I haven't read the forum rules to extreme scrutiny, but surely he must have broken some rule for the mods to step in.

Saying snowflakes couldn't handle a whittle troll is an easy cop out on your end.

but surely he must have broken some rule for the mods to step in.
Just because a mod does something doesn't mean it was right. It's not like we have much say for any actions they decide to take. I didn't even particularly like the guy myself.

Someone mentioned that he was using straw man arguments and wouldn't listen to reason. Banning him for clogging up multiple threads and not discussing deals is the best assumption I can come up with.

the sheep is so adorable.  Probably not gonna evolve it like I did rowlet in sun and moon.  Love that yellow remake eevee and pikachus on screen encounters seem to be back in this and that they aren't using shitty random encounters anymore.  Only things that worry me are the areas are quite large so traversing them is gonna be slow until you get a flying ride option I assume.  And the large number of returning mons makes me wonder if there aren't that many new ones or not.  Hopefully its just a black and white 2 scenario where they are giving you a crap load of returning mon options on top of the new mons for the gen.

Also very happy about shield legendary.  Almost wonder if they chose to debut it that way as a nod to shield hero.

Source: http://www.gunghoonline.com/news/grandia-hd-collection-for-nintendo-switchtm-grandia-hd-remaster-and-grandia-ii-hd-remaster-for-pc-coming-soon/

Looks like Grandia I & II HD Remaster is coming to PC/Steam. If you own Grandia II Anniversary Edition on Steam, it will be renamed to the HD Remaster, so you won't have to repurchase it. I'm not sure if there will be any changes to it on Steam outside of the name, but it doesn't look like it since it was essentially already an HD Remaster.

Also Grandia HD Collection is coming to the Nintendo Switch, which includes both games.

Newly added remaster stuff:

GRANDIA features
● Enhanced details to UI, sprites, and texture art
● Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
● Widescreen support and customizable resolutions (only for PC)
● Steam cards and Achievements (only for PC)
● Audio: Japanese and English
● Language Support: Original English and Japanese plus French and German translation
● Gamepad and keyboard support with remappable controls (only for PC)

GRANDIA II features
● Language Support: Original English and Japanese plus New French and German translation

Grandia was one of the last PS1 RPGs I played on my system. Battle system was excellent. Everything else was pretty good though maybe not great. Graphics looked weird sometimes (characters especially) and the story wasn't too amazing, but the solid battle system elevated it. A good RPG for sure.

Source: http://www.gunghoonline.com/news/grandia-hd-collection-for-nintendo-switchtm-grandia-hd-remaster-and-grandia-ii-hd-remaster-for-pc-coming-soon/

Looks like Grandia I & II HD Remaster is coming to PC/Steam. If you own Grandia II Anniversary Edition on Steam, it will be renamed to the HD Remaster, so you won't have to repurchase it. I'm not sure if there will be any changes to it on Steam outside of the name, but it doesn't look like it since it was essentially already an HD Remaster.

Also Grandia HD Collection is coming to the Nintendo Switch, which includes both games.

GRANDIA features
● Language Support: Original English and Japanese plus French and German translation

GRANDIA II features
● Language Support: Original English and Japanese plus New French and German translation
Been waiting for news on this. Hope they give a release date soon.

GRANDIA features

GRANDIA II features
Too bad there's no fast forward mode. With the first game at least, grinding out spell levels was the worst.

Too bad there's no fast forward mode. With the first game at least, grinding out spell levels was the worst.
The game is so easy it hardly matters, though I completely agree the spell level system in the game is pretty tedious to deal with.

I played Grandia II a lot in my teen years but I could never play the first game until a year or two ago, for a variety of reasons. But anyway, I think it still holds up really well for the most part. Voice acting is kinda bad but in that 90s anime way that is also endearing whilst being terrible and the battle system is still sooooooo much fun even if the game is incredibly easy. Totally worth a purchase again.

I thought grandia 1's voice work was pretty good actually.  For the bare minimum it had.  The audio quality does it no favors during combat though that much is sure.

Finally got my 100th extreme perfect in Project Diva Future Tone DX last night (Colorful x Melody). What an awesome game that I keep going back to, again and again. I've easily put over 100 hours into it so far, and there's still 7 songs I've yet to even clear on extreme (I refuse to remap the buttons so that you hit multiple with a single press, seems like cheating to me).

1. 1/6 Out of the Gravity 7
2. Yellow 6
3. Tell Your World 6.5
4. Weekender Girl 7
5. Miku Miku ni Shite Ageru 7
6. Yume no Tsuzuki 6.5
7. Electric Angel 7
8. Glory 3usi9 7.5
9. Far Away 6
10. Secret Garden 6
11. Double Lariat 7
12. Rin Rin Signal 7
13. Cat Food 8
14. LOL -lots of laugh- 7.5
15. Innocence 6
16. Sayonara Goodbye 7
17. Inochi no Uta 6 (all 6s done)
18. Starduster 6.5
19. Monochrome Blue Sky 7
20. Last Night, Good Night 6.5
21. Packaged 7
22. Freely Tomorrow 7
23. Finder 7
24. Kokoro 7
25. Cantarella 7
26. Kouya to Mori to Mahou no Uta 6.5
27. Dear Cocoa Girls 6.5
28. Anata no Utahime 7
29. Amenochi Sweet Drops 7
30. World is Mine 7.5
31. Koi Suru Vocaloid 7
32. Roshin Yuukai 8
33. Ookami Girl 7.5
34. Shinkai Shoujo 7
35. Nisoku Hokou 8
36. Melancholic 8
37. Hand in Hand 7.5
38. Kamikyoku 7
39. Tengaku 8
40. Hajimete no Oto 7
41. Hello, Worker 8
42. Like the Wind 8
43. Meteor 7.5
44. High School Days 8
45. Sennen no Dokusouka 7
46. Night of Light 7.5
47. Dear 7.5
48. Fireflower 7.5
49. Sekiranun Graffiti 7
50. Melt 7
51. Tokyo Teddy Bear 8
52. Biroudo Arabesque 6.5
53. Karakuri Pierrot 8
54. Sweet Magic 8
55. Nightmare Party Night 6.5
56. Puzzle 6.5
57. Palette 7
58. Star Story 7
59. Holy Star 7
60. Magical Sound Shower 8.5
61. Hajimemashite Chikyuujin-san 8
62. Sono Ichibyou Slow Motion 7
63. Kyodai Shoujo 7
64. Decorator 7.5
65. Yume Yume 7
66. Hello Planet 8
67. So Much Loving You 8
68. Yuukyuu 6.5 (all 6.5s done)
69. Clover Club 7
70. Love List Koushinchuu 7
71. Hajimete no Koi ga Owaru Toki 7.5
72. Moon 7.5
73. Nayuta no Kanata Made 7
74. Hanamai Tsukuyomi Tan 7.5
75. Ai Kotoba 7
76. Uta ni Katachi wa Nai Keredo 7
77. Karakasa-san wa Touru 7
78. Sakura no Ame 7
79. Change Me 7
80. Hato 7
81. Maigo Life 7
82. Time Machine 7.5
83. Suki Kirai 7.5
84. Interviewer 7.5
85. 39 7
86. from Y to Y 7
87. Futari de 7.5
88. Amata no Mai 7
89. Honto wa Wakatteru 7
90. Pink Moon 7.5 (CT rank max!)
91. Soundless Voicer 7.5
92. Shiroi Yuki no Princess wa 7.5
93. Guuzou Musen 7.5
94. Koi Note 7.5
95. Neko Mimi Archive 7.5
96. Yubikiri 8.5
97. Shinkai City Underground 7 (all 7s done)
98. Gemini 7.5
99. Tricolore Airline 7.5
100. Colorful x Melody 8

They are price matching Gamestop if anyone wants to get it from there.
I bought the Burst Re:Newal Tailor-Made edition yesterday after Amazon price matched Gamestop's $30 price. Maybe I should have just bought it at Gamestop, but Amazon was offering me $3 off a $10+ purchase if I tried their Amazon Assitant browser extension. It covered the tax.

I installed the extension on a browser I don't use, and I uninstalled it after I bought the game. That thing looks like it wants to look at a lot of your internet activity.

Hmm... do I want it gutted with heavy shelf wear, or crushed in a bubble mailer.... decisions decisions....
well you could order something like an sd card with it so they put it in an oversized box instead of bubble mailer. Never fails for me. I still remember the time I ordered p4 and legaia 2 and a vita memory card and it came in a box about the 3rd the size of a fridge.

To the people asking about the Overwatch League Tokens before, stage 3 of the OWL just started, and it runs for a couple of weeks every Thursday to Sunday from around 6 to 10 pm EST.  3 tokens per every hour watched, and is tracked between different applications of Twitch. Also, I can confirm that anything you get, you get for both PC and console versions at the same time, same for the free Twitch lootboxes. 

Also, 2X XP weekend for Overwatch starts today, lasts until Monday. 

Heh, I was going to mention that since I received an email about it and people were recently interested in gaining some. In the end though, I ended up not playing in the Anniversary event.

Also, for those who still have Amazon Prime and grabbed the 3 months free of Nintendo Online when I posted it a while back, you are now able to claim the remaining 9 months to complete the full 12 months. I don't remember when the three months passed, but better late than never.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/nintendo

So new tales of game essentially leaked.  Tales of Arise.  Images look pretty legit but the name seems sketchy to me since they already have a game that used a Abyss.  Rumors running around are that it may be a sequel to zesty and berseria.  But I think that's just due to the female heroine looking like Lailah.

I wouldn't mind a sequel to wrap up that worlds plot but for the love of all that is good and decent please stay out of zesty's world for a decade or so.

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/1137156982287159296

My only thought is that this somehow made a new Senran Kagura game.
One of Ayane's secret ninja arts is a car crashing into her opponents from the sky.

Ayane from the Dead or Alive series. Whose dlc from Estival Versus also carried over into Burst Re:Newal. It was nice to see the Estival Versus dlc is crossbuy with Burst Re:Newal. Atlus didn't even do that with the Vita and PS4 versions of Persona 4: Dancing All Night, in the US.

And speaking of which, I read the dlc for Persona 5 vanilla won't be incorporated into Persona 5 Royal. For the Japan release there will be a small import fee to get dlc you bought for vanilla into Royal. There was also a fee for the Japan release of Persona 4: Dancing All Night between the Vita and PS4 versions, but that option wasn't available for the US. It's possible the US will have to re-buy dlc for Royal.

If I was bringing back Tales I would just wait until next gen.
Nah - BanNam wouldn't wait. Besides, what's the point given all current gen games will be BC, and Tales games have never been about pushing graphical hardware. They're economically made, mid-tier productions that are usually somewhere between decent and occasionally very good. I've never been floored by a Tales game, but they're seldom bad.

This is also (towards the end of gen) when Tales games like to come out; when the AAA games are moving for next gen and people are looking for genre games to basically tide them over.

So new tales of game essentially leaked. Tales of Arise. Images look pretty legit but the name seems sketchy to me since they already have a game that used a Abyss. Rumors running around are that it may be a sequel to zesty and berseria. But I think that's just due to the female heroine looking like Lailah.

I wouldn't mind a sequel to wrap up that worlds plot but for the love of all that is good and decent please stay out of zesty's world for a decade or so.
If the screenshots are real, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Tales has always been very anime-ish and the screenshots look more realistic to me (at least the world), although they could still pull off the anime look. Hopefully, if true, they also drop a trailer with more footage and not just drop the screenshots and say "In development."

they have a few more screen shots on Abyssal chronicles that no one else has.  characters still look the same as always.

Some VN news a bit behind.

First of all NekoNyan released Suki to Suki to de Sankaku Ren'ai. It's about a club of otaku of sorts and the main guy hanging out with his club mates and finding love. I like it enough, but there is a million memes. It doesn't make me laugh much, but it's generally light hearted. As usual with any VN there are some darker parts, but it never goes too dark. It's fun for what it is, but I know it's just a good VN.

Here are Sekai Project/Denpasoft announcements from Anime Central.

First of all Sekai announced Polaris from Staga-nana. This has 2 interwined stories with the 1st about a man who lives in a world with a disease where a person vanishes just leaving their clothes. He meets a girl who claims to be immortal. The 2nd takes place on a small island where Elene rescues a girl who washes up and is carrying a small bottle made from unknown technology. They both go on a search to see who made it. This looks good and i'll play it. It's currently slated for this summer.

VNDB

Sanarara R from NekoNeko Soft was announced from both. This is an updated version of Sanarara which came out in 2005 and has an extra route, new scenarios, as well as 16:9 resolution. It's about a girl who approaches people and says she can grant any wish they want. There are 7 stories relating to what would happen if this were to occur. It looks decent. Will play it when it comes out.

VNDB (NSFW)

How to Raise a Wolf Girl from developer Sweet & Tea was also announced by both. It has a guy named Shuuji who picks up a girl in the mountains and starts taking care of her. She was spirited away 10 years ago and has a hard time conversing and some other stuff as well. Of course not everything is daisies and people go against her, but Shuuji is determined to protect her. Looks good and will play it when it comes out.

VNDB (NSFW)

Denpasoft announced Aisu Paradise from Maranyo Games which released on Steam. It's about 2 girls and they're into you or something and work at the same ice cream shop and the main guy wants to be an adult film producer. This looks like a mess and will likely only play if bundled or extremely cheap.

Steam (NSFW)

VNDB

Denpasoft also announced a non VN Super Naughty Maid from KENZsoft. It's pretty much an interactive game about having sex with a maid. Not for me.

Steam (NSFW)

Mangagamer also had one AnimeCentral announcement. It's a big one in Imouto Paradise 3. Same number of sisters though I think this is a cousin of the the guy from #2. Nukige with sisters who love you a lot and a brother who is willing to love them back. These are usually well drawn and written so it's an easy purchase for me.

VNDB (NSFW)

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart is going to be released now by Fruitbat Factory all ages on Steam June 17th, 2019 I believe it's based on the console version. I would love an 18+ version but I'll take it. Hopefully doesn't rely too much on adult scenes.

Steam

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart is going to be released now by Fruitbat Factory all ages on Steam June 17th, 2019 I believe it's based on the console version. I would love an 18+ version but I'll take it. Hopefully doesn't rely too much on adult scenes.

Steam
This is the visual novel with the light beams added to the PS4 version of the game. The gallery image thumbnails are in the demo version and are definitely the all ages ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtAsuCzmUVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOddgiCObA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrqHrRoiN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lls6Gdua_XY

Phantasy Star Online 2 releasing in the west eight years after its original release? And only on Xbox One and Windows 10 (I assume this means the Microsoft Store only) as well? Are they trying to keep the amount of players low? Obviously Microsoft has paid for it, so it may be a temporary exclusive kind of thing. However it still makes me question why.

Phantasy Star Online 2 releasing in the west eight years after its original release? And only on Xbox One and Windows 10 (I assume this means the Microsoft Store only) as well? Are they trying to keep the amount of players low? Obviously Microsoft has paid for it, so it may be a temporary exclusive kind of thing. However it still makes me question why.
Microsoft is keen on releasing on Steam and their own store so I doubt its windows store only

Man, why does PSO2 have to an Xbox exclusive? I hope to god it’s a timed exclusive otherwise I’m going to have to buy a crappy Xbox One. I’m not missing out on this game though. I’ve waited 8 years for this. It does make me nervous that it’s free to play though. Is all the cool stuff going to be micro transactions?

Because Microsoft bought the rights to it.  Just like they bought Double Fine Studios. 

See guys Microsoft cares about Japanese games and gamers!

Because Microsoft bought the rights to it. Just like they bought Double Fine Studios.

See guys Microsoft cares about Japanese games and gamers!
Halo Infinite is launching on PC too, so hopefully the exclusivity of their games only extends to the consoles.

Man, why does PSO2 have to an Xbox exclusive? I hope to god it’s a timed exclusive otherwise I’m going to have to buy a crappy Xbox One. I’m not missing out on this game though. I’ve waited 8 years for this. It does make me nervous that it’s free to play though. Is all the cool stuff going to be micro transactions?
They haven't said anything that makes me believe it won't come to the PS4 as well. All of the signage they used was the same stuff they used throughout the showcase, and a bunch of that's already popped up for pre-order for PS4 as well.

They haven't said anything that makes me believe it won't come to the PS4 as well. All of the signage they used was the same stuff they used throughout the showcase, and a bunch of that's already popped up for pre-order for PS4 as well.
Yeah, I didn't see any Xbox Exclusive branding on it. I missed the very beginning of it when the trailer played during the conference though, but unless it said exclusive before the trailer, I wouldn't worry. Though considering Sony recently, it might be better to have it on other platforms anyway...

Fanatical Star Deal is Musynx for $1.79(55% off)

It's an "anime style" rhythm game. A good deal of original vocaloid songs. Mostly chinese. Nekopara's in there too.

Note that this is just the base game that gives you 48 songs. There's a single dlc to unlock the rest of the songs and all future song updates for $25 kinda like project diva future tone.

Halo Infinite is launching on PC too, so hopefully the exclusivity of their games only extends to the consoles.
Yeah, Microsoft isn't much interested in exclusivity. Jason Schreier from Kotaku Splitscreen said on his pre-E3 podcast that those close to Phil Spencer have said that if Phil had his way, Microsoft's games would be on everything, and that Phil sees/wants Microsoft as a third-party software/content maker. Game Pass is clearly part of this vision.

bread's done
Back