Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's one of the reasons I'm excited for the Kill la Kill LE. Censorship-wise, I have no idea if anything will be modified....I'm getting the Switch version, but recently that doesn't guarantee getting uncensored :cry:
Wait wait, what Switch games was censored? I know some of the PC versions of the VNs are definitely more risque, but that's to be expected pretty much since forever?

Sony applying their own content standards on Playstation titles post-Omega Labyrinth Z has broken some people's brains.

Re: OSTs, depends on the game. I listened to stuff like Nier: Automata, FF4, FF7, FF8, Secret of Mana, Bloodborne, Dangaronpa multiple times through. A lot of the very generic sounding 6 song samplers I might listen to once.

And USB DVD writers are like $20 or less nowadays.

Lingering reminders of when Atlus USA used to make great first print bonuses.
Anyone else still have theirs?

LbJ8VNl.jpg

Still sealed. I think I got the undub ISO for my PS2 HDLoader. I don't remember beating this. I was pretty far in, I forget its name but I got hit by this unbeatable / unescapable random fight and I just said fuck it.

I've been meaning to give this game a second go for a few years.

Still sealed. I think I got the undub ISO for my PS2 HDLoader. I don't remember beating this. I was pretty far in, I forget its name but I got hit by this unbeatable / unescapable random fight and I just said fuck it.

I've been meaning to give this game a second go for a few years.
Pretty sure both Devil Summoner games had no voice acting, but I agree about your feelings on the game. I love the art, music, characters, setting, but the actual battle portions of the game can be really annoying. I only beat it once and never really thought about it again. It could be a really great series with some fine tuning.

They can censor Kill La Kill all they want as I just wanted a video of the gameplay and its looks sub par for a Arc system game. Its just a arena 3d fighter with horrid backdrops/arenas.

They can censor Kill La Kill all they want as I just wanted a video of the gameplay and its looks sub par for a Arc system game. Its just a arena 3d fighter with horrid backdrops/arenas.
Yeah it's really bad looking. When I first saw footage I thought it looked like a ps2 game.

A day late, but yes. Still sealed and sits a top my computer desk. I only bought it because of the plush really. I hadnt fully even committed to Persona yet (I had only played a bit of P3, but wasnt fully hooked yet). Still havent played any part of a mainline SMT game either.

Wait wait, what Switch games was censored? I know some of the PC versions of the VNs are definitely more risque, but that's to be expected pretty much since forever?
Well, an example I can think of off the top of my head is that recently announced YU-NO remake. It's going to be censored for both PS4 and Switch. Not really sure why, only thing I can think of is that the Switch version is being ported from the PS4 version that is censored, thus that version being censored too? I'm honestly not sure. Also, this is Spike Chunsoft we're talking about, so they could just be selectively censoring their games on any console just to avoid any backlash. This is why I mentioned not being 100% sure about Switch games being uncensored anymore :(

Yeah it's really bad looking. When I first saw footage I thought it looked like a ps2 game.
The worse part is those skipping-frame animations are actually intentional to make it look like the anime.....I really wish they didn't do that, because it makes the game look like it's running at 10 fps....

So made some more progress in ff15 which I started to keep me company until fire emblems out.  I have to say whoever did that jump scare with aramusha is a bad bad person.  I nearly thought I would get a game over there if ruby light hadn't triggered to save me.  I can only assume that was patched in as none of the articles I looked up mentioned it.  Anywho I'm just glad you don't have to fight the guy if you don't want to and can leave as it was just a scripted encounter like with the big zhu from goalda quay sp?

Also would have helped if they had made the warnings a bit more clear about how dangerous it was.  As this isn't the first dungeon with those signs but it is the first one that was an actual threat.  The rest just had goblins and the occasional giant spider or Arachne boss out of the 4 dungeons I have been to so far.

So made some more progress in ff15 which I started to keep me company until fire emblems out. I have to say whoever did that jump scare with aramusha is a bad bad person. I nearly thought I would get a game over there if ruby light hadn't triggered to save me. I can only assume that was patched in as none of the articles I looked up mentioned it. Anywho I'm just glad you don't have to fight the guy if you don't want to and can leave as it was just a scripted encounter like with the big zhu from goalda quay sp?

Also would have helped if they had made the warnings a bit more clear about how dangerous it was. As this isn't the first dungeon with those signs but it is the first one that was an actual threat. The rest just had goblins and the occasional giant spider or Arachne boss out of the 4 dungeons I have been to so far.
Gotta learn it the hard way lol. Later in the game, difficulty between Lvl 99+ hunts and story mission are night and day.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

My copy of the Super Neptunia RPG LE showed up yesterday, which was a surprise since it was a day before release and they didn't even send me the initial email saying it was shipped. Just showed up lol

Initial impressions:

Only played a couple hours so far but I really wish the game had actual turn based combat. Instead we get a system where action points are gradually generated over time and can be used whenever you have a certain amount. So in the beginning I feel dumb just standing there not able to do anything while getting hit by enemies since I don't have enough action points. Maybe this is just because I am in the beginning and only have one party member. Hope it gets somewhat better once I have more members.

Platforming-wise, it's okay I guess. Sometimes I don't time jumps or landings correctly and mess up. I feel like the movement controls should have been refined a bit more to prevent stuff like this.

Location-wise, I've only been in the first area (Lastation) but the environments seem kinda the same? Like when moving through the dungeon area, the background is always the same, but the land that you actually stand on is different for each "room". I guess this isn't really a complaint since plenty of games do the same, I just kinda wanted some variety.

Menus also feel kinda sluggish, not sure if it's because if they're using Unity or because I'm playing on Switch (or maybe both). I press the button in the confirmation dialog and it takes a while for it to register, so I think I didn't press it and do it again. Kinda annoying.

Story-wise, I haven't delved too deep, but we got your usual "Nep get thrown into a new world and has amnesia" scenario. I've only seen one of the new characters so far and they look pretty cool. But I'm sure the story and characters of the game will be where this game shines, so I look forward to what's next.

Anyways, that's all I have for now.

Just a heads up about the metal case preorder for Bloodstained at Best Buy. Apparently, it's a metal case that holds a disc, and they just inserted a plastic holder for the Switch cartridge. You can see it here in this thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bloodstained/comments/c5a0we/best_buy_switch_steelbook_is_a_joke/

Given this and the performance issues with the Switch version, I think I'm just going to cancel my preorder, wait till they iron out the issues and buy it digitall when it goes on sale down the road. 

Just a heads up about the metal case preorder for Bloodstained at Best Buy. Apparently, it's a metal case that holds a disc, and they just inserted a plastic holder for the Switch cartridge. You can see it here in this thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bloodstained/comments/c5a0we/best_buy_switch_steelbook_is_a_joke/

Given this and the performance issues with the Switch version, I think I'm just going to cancel my preorder, wait till they iron out the issues and buy it digitall when it goes on sale down the road.
I just bought the steelbook separately and plan to get the PS4 version when the price drops.

I'm not really surprised about the performance issues though. Aside from being announced after development was well underway, the Switch has the lowest specs of modern consoles and they cancelled the Vita version for similar reasons.

Ymmv, but my bestbuy near work marked down SAO Fatal Bullet for PS4 to 10.99 (online still 17.99). Unfortunately GCU won't work with clearance in store.
0735fc345f35e23cdeef519de794076e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

VN news before Anime-Expo next week:

First of all summer sales on Steam, Denpasoft site, and JAST Store. Linking Mangagamer's blog showing their Steam software sales and they will also have some sales on their own store.

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Mangagamer (NSFW)

JAST USA (NSFW)

A bit late but Sekai Project announced console releases at E3. Plenty of good releases including Project LUX which released recently. My favorite announcement is Undead Darlings. It's not a VN per say but a dungeon crawler with zombie girls and had an unsuccessful Kickstarter I backed at one time. I will gladly buy it when it comes out on the PS4 eventually.

Gematsu

Some games were released on Steam which i'm highlighting here.

SekuraSparo's The Expression of Amrilato localized by Mangagamer was finally released on Steam after Valve banned it at first. It's about 2 girls who are trying to communicate with each other and have some love feelings and such using the Esperanto language. It looks cute and educational as well. Will buy it eventually.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Cabbit's The Logic of Miniature Garden was released by SakuraGame. I bought it to check out the translation quality. It's not the worst ever, but it's pretty bad and extremely Engrishy. It always makes me a little sad to see decent looking releases pushed out by SakuraGame. This game has a guy summoned by the student council to help solve some mysteries. There is an adult patch linked below too. Buy at your own risk.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Bushou Musume to Kozukuri Seikatsu aka Commander Babes was release by Cherry Kiss Games on Steam. It's about 2 girls appearing from a historical period and a guy wants to help them acclimate to modern times and also feel the experience of motherhood or something. Looks average.

Steam (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Ninja Girl and the Mysterious Army of Urban Legend Monsters! ~Hunt of the Headless Horseman~ was released by Sekai Project and is their own creation. It's about a ninja girl and her ghost friend or something and a girl who appears mysteriously and eventually wants to take on the ninja girl. It looks OK, but I'm not sure i'll buy it right away.

Steam
VNDB (NSFW)

Last but not least 2 translations.

Kaerinokai2's Koyori ~SEVENDAYS~ English translation patch released by Hoshi. No idea about this game.

VNDB (NSFW)

Complet's Yagai Gakushuu English translation patch was released by enmaus. It's about a shy introverted boy who gets invited to an island by a teacher for group activities and they teach each other about adult things. Honestly I wont touch this at all since the boy himself is a shota and gets it on with other teens I assume his age and teachers and such. I just don't like this at all.

VNDB (NSFW)

Has anybody seen the LE version of the KLK game for preorder? I checked BB, Target, GS, WM and they all only show the standard edition. The official website says there's supposed to be an english version LE for $99.99, but I can't find it anywhere.

Has anybody seen the LE version of the KLK game for preorder? I checked BB, Target, GS, WM and they all only show the standard edition. The official website says there's supposed to be an english version LE for $99.99, but I can't find it anywhere.
https://arcsystemworks.com/kill-la-kill-if-limited-edition-information/

They haven't stated where it'll be available yet, but it's speculated to be exclusive to their online store like the BlazBlue Cross-Tag CE.

Yea, 1 side game and 2 main games. They're annual, and Lulua was probably supposed to have been out 2018 (the last one before Lulua was 2017). Side games are just side games.

I stopped caring after Atelier Shallie I think it was. I was getting a bit bored by then. I wish to all heck they would do another Mana Khemia or some other thing, but I guess they keep getting sales. I keep getting them when they drop to around $25 or $20 or so. Then they look nice on my shelf.

Yeah glad I stopped buying them as It is obvious I will not be able to keep up with three releases a year.

They are doing stuff like blue reflection as the new experimenting games so maybe we will get lucky and a mana khemia style game will come from those.

With all the DLC games Atelier games push out now, the only real value you can get is the DLC bundles or Greenmangaming launch discounts.

Arrogant Sony is back in full force, WSJ has a piece breaking down how Small Developers (not even Indies) are not happy with the approach Sony is taking with the PS5. 

Capture.jpg

Arrogant Sony is back in full force, WSJ has a piece breaking down how Small Developers (not even Indies) are not happy with the approach Sony is taking with the PS5.

Capture.jpg
After reading the article, I guess I am in the minority. I am heavily invested in the Vita and PS4 mainly due to the incredible diversity of games put out by smaller publishers. I absolutely loved the Xbox and Xbox 360, but haven't bothered in getting an Xbone simply because the PS4 has offered more than enough variety in non-AAA games to satisfy me. Been gaming so long that AAA titles don't do much for me any more for a variety of reasons, so I almost always wait until they are down to $10-20 and then buy them and put them in my backlog. Hopefully smaller companies continue to make games for the PS5. I tend to agree with the Sony official who said that the PlayStation platform is too large to ignore. It is a bit arrogant of an attitude that Sony is taking, but they are most likely correct.

Sony, what the fuck? I mean, you started off so well this generation. Why are you becoming such fuckwads?

Pride goeth before a fall.

Capture.jpg
Looks like they'll just be expecting people to get a second job again...

Considering their current policies and apparent plans, it seems like this thread is going to become very Switch oriented in the coming years

bread's done
Back