Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Layton-buff.gif

I don't understand either.
If a parent let their kid anywhere near a grown man playing with something so tacky and child-oriented, I would argue that is gross negligence on the scale of letting their kids go up to get free candy from the nice clown in his large, unmarked van. Same warning signs.

The normal switch, on the other hand, is an elegant tool suited for rooftop parties and fine dining establishments. If you wish to go out in public, I would recommend that option instead.

I'm lucky I never got caught playing my pink/white 3DS XL in public. I might have been arrested on the spot.

I decided to make an unboxing video for Super Neptunia RPG CE as fast as possible, and it was so fast, I ended up being able to fit it all into a gif.

giphy.gif

Also in video form with world's fastest commentary.

https://youtu.be/MvE542b27Ow

Thanks for watching!

If a parent let their kid anywhere near a grown man playing with something so tacky and child-oriented, I would argue that is gross negligence on the scale of letting their kids go up to get free candy from the nice clown in his large, unmarked van. Same warning signs.

The normal switch, on the other hand, is an elegant tool suited for rooftop parties and fine dining establishments. If you wish to go out in public, I would recommend that option instead.
I'll have to excuse those who chose portability and battery life over the judging eyes of Dark Sage.

I decided to make an unboxing video for Super Neptunia RPG CE as fast as possible, and it was so fast, I ended up being able to fit it all into a gif.
And away it goes into the closet to never be looked at again! Ah, the rewarding life of a collector.

Sorry, no I haven't, just basing that on the screen shots lol
This one is crossbuy with Vita, has online play, and has bonus artwork to look at from the stuff I remember. Pretty sure the ACA version won't have any of that, since they are straight arcade ports I believe? I'm sure online play is dead by now though. You could also severely reduce the health of your opponent after a loss in story mode, which is nice for people that really suck at fighting games I guess.
Thanks for the replies. I've been watching some YouTube playthroughs of the arcade mode for the Code Mystics version (PS4) and ACA version (X1, since I can't find any PS4 videos of that version for some reason). It wasn't the greatest comparison (two different platforms, two different characters being played, the ACA version was being played "full screen" (still at 4x3 ratio, but filling the entire height of the screen) while the Code Mystics version was being played bordered (not filling the entire screen height)), but overall, they seem fairly similar. I didn't notice any emulation slowdown or hiccups in either version, nor any misdrawn sprites or backgrounds. The main visual quality difference went in Code Mystics favor, as the pixels in the ACA version seemed more blurry (this may have something to do with the different resolutions, though, I've noticed similar issues in ports of old fighting games that let you play bordered or unbordered in the past).

I wish there were more reviews of the ports, I can barely find any information on either of them.

To be fair Souffrir, the only differences between both the the ACA and the CodeMystics versions of The Last Blade 2 is that the ACA NG version is based on the MVS version (with various options [game, audio, and display wise] to change in-game.), the cross-buy/save/play PS4/Vita CodeMystics version is based on the AES version (with the boss character playable, but done as a button code). Some options vary in that too, but it does have unlockable artwork and you can play online against players on both versions.

But in retrospect, both versions will play the same. (Since its the same game with some minor differences between both ACA and CM versions.)

To be fair Souffrir, the only differences between both the the ACA and the CodeMystics versions of The Last Blade 2 is that the ACA NG version is based on the MVS version (with various options [game, audio, and display wise] to change in-game.), the cross-buy/save/play PS4/Vita CodeMystics version is based on the AES version (with the boss character playable, but done as a button code). Some options vary in that too, but it does have unlockable artwork and you can play online against players on both versions.

But in retrospect, both versions will play the same. (Since its the same game with some minor differences between both ACA and CM versions.)
Thanks for the detailed info. I think I'm leaning towards the CM version since it's got the extra artwork and cross play and I'm not necessarily looking for a thriving online community; is there anything you can think of that might tip the scales in the other direction, though?

That Danmachi game is getting an Asian English sub release too. I'll likely get that. It looks kind of like a lesser budget Ys clone from the few bits I've seen of gameplay. That works for me.

I was rummaging through AWD's current 20% off bin.  There are some pretty cheap off-region listings for Steins;Gate Elite and Nier GotY

Someone beat me to the copy of Etrian Odyssey Nexus, but I also noticed it is $24.55 new for what looks like the first print edition.  Lowest I've seen it.  Disclaimer: may very possibly arrive in a bubble mailer.

I was rummaging through AWD's current 20% off bin. There are some pretty cheap off-region listings for Steins;Gate Elite and Nier GotY

Someone beat me to the copy of Etrian Odyssey Nexus, but I also noticed it is $24.55 new for what looks like the first print edition. Lowest I've seen it. Disclaimer: may very possibly arrive in a bubble mailer.
The 1-star review convinced me to buy these: "It’s forieg & fails anywhere other than the UK"

Correct.  It's possible you'll get a working code (I doubt these are all returns/tradeins) but you'd need to create a PSN account to the matching region in order to redeem.  The game disc will play fine.

Or, perhaps better summarized: "It’s forieg & fails anywhere other than the UK."

I finally went ahead and grabbed Etrian Odyssey Nexus for $24.55 from Amazon. Just opened my package and it is the launch edition. Still that price now if anyone is interested, not a prime only price(says it won't ship until July 20 now though).

I finally went ahead and grabbed Etrian Odyssey Nexus for $24.55 from Amazon. Just opened my package and it is the launch edition. Still that price now if anyone is interested, not a prime only price(says it won't ship until July 20 now though).
Good to hear. I chose the slow shipping so I'm still waiting on it. Did they send yours in a box?

Just a quick reminder that Umihara Kawase Fresh still hasn't appeared on the western Nintendo eShop regions and is as of right now still the first physical only Switch title.

Amazon haul time; my package came in.  One day late because of those workers walking out and protesting at the Shakopee distribution center on Sunday.

etrian-1.jpg

$44 total after a $10 credit.  Bought like two things at Whole Foods while shopping there for the first time on a whim this week, got another $10 Prime Day credit.  Nier is still sealed and Etrian Odyssey is the launch edition.  I am pleased. 

The $24 deal just ended as well.. back to 39.99. Probably going to go through with my order but paranoid about it arriving bubblemailer'd and flattened.
The box isn't much thicker than a normal game case so even in a bubble mailer it has a good chance of not getting flattened. Mine had no damage whatsoever.

Just a quick reminder that Umihara Kawase Fresh still hasn't appeared on the western Nintendo eShop regions and is as of right now still the first physical only Switch title.
yeah thats why u cant get ur nintendo points, not the first time a physical was released that nintendo wont acknowledge

Anyone hyped for Fire Emblem Three Houses?

I am. It comes out next Friday.
I am but I don't know when I will get to it since I am still playing ff15.

Since I ordered it through amazon the shipping estimate isn't until august 1st/2nd though so that gives me another week.

I like that they didn't try to pull the Pokemon gimmick again, but modern FE has too much DLC for my tastes.
Outside the exclusive classes I haven't had an issue with their dlc practices. Awakening certainly spoiled though since it had so much free dlc as well. playable cameo characters, tons of equipment ect.

Anyone hyped for Fire Emblem Three Houses?

I am. It comes out next Friday.
I am too, though I am concerned about the amount of coverage indicating just how long it is. I got burned out by the time I finished all three Fates paths, and this one sounds like it'll be longer yet.

Also, I have kids now, so longer =/= better.

I'm slowly losing hope about a Pro model :(
A pro Switch model would only sell to hard-core gamers. And it would be priced around $400 or more. And it would be heavier, and likely have a shorter battery life. Or perhaps it would simply be a non-portable system that is meant to be permanently connected to a TV screen. Any and all of these scenarios would limit its appeal.

Nintendo's decision to go the more traditional console revision route means that the "new" Switch will be less expensive to produce, and feature an improved battery life, making it more portable. That's a win for Nintendo, and a win for consumers looking to jump on the Switch train. If there's one thing we can be certain of, it's that the appeal of the Switch has never centered around it's power. It isn't powerful, it's always simply been powerful enough.

I figured as much.  Hopefully it still releases this year though considering how busy this year and spring are I wouldn't care much if it got delayed to late spring early summer of next year.

bread's done
Back