Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Awakening but hated Conquest, some of the worst dialogue and writing that I've seen in a game
Made worse by them over correcting for how easy awakening was. Your units are mostly garbage, enemies come with good skills even generics, bosses partner ect. The worst of it was the counter skills so even if you kill an enemy you still end up taking damage iirc.

It's so poorly balanced that I wish I had known you could grind on other peoples bases and capture enemy units to make up for some of it. Also not a fan of how they redid the ballistician class. While 5 space targeting is nifty they don't have as long a range as they used to in shadow dragon or are as powerful. I really only found them useful during the stupid pot stage.

Which House are yall supporting? I'm personally Team Edelgard. But then there is Manuela though
Team eagle all the way. Unless there's hidden tharja quality waifu in one of the other houses

edit: anyone else get slight hint of GoT vibes from the house names?

Wow. There is a game with dialogue worse than awakening?
It's really, really difficult to understate just how bad the story and dialog from Fates was.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Three Houses, though. The opening from last week looked great and even in their worst entries the gameplay is fun, but I'm not sold on the "Fire Emblem High School" setting/theme.

Which House are yall supporting? I'm personally Team Edelgard. But then there is Manuela though
I've been in the dark about them so I have no idea. I'd probably pick whichever one has the classes I like for the units. So whatever one has pegs and or wyverns riders gets priority. Or myrms and mages. Depending on the balance. I really hope it has a good skill system this time around. I miss skills being useful like in path of radiance and radiant dawn.

I don't like to read editorials, summaries, or watch Youtube vids about games or movies before I play or watch them.  It's much more interesting and digestible to go into things with a clean slate and without any preconceived notions.  So that you can form your own opinions and experience things organically. 

I don't like to read editorials, summaries, or watch Youtube vids about games or movies before I play or watch them. It's much more interesting and digestible to go into things with a clean slate and without any preconceived notions. So that you can form your own opinions and experience things organically.
I feel the same way. But it makes it difficult to do anything online, because someone somewhere is always talking about the game.

I normally try not to see too much stuff about a game I'm 100% getting and playing.  But based on what I have seen, I think I'm leaning towards Golden Deer.  I won't really know until I play though :)

I actually haven't seen anything outside the initial announce from the direct. I only know the houses because I was curious what they were. didnt watch any gameplay or previews, so I'm pretty psyched it sounds like it's well received so far.

I saw the basic gameplay myself from E3 Treehouse and was like yeah it's a Fire Emblem game and left it at that. I generally don't like to watch story/characters spoilers before a game comes out.

The only thing I know is that besides the 3 houses part that they made it have explorable areas like echoes did but on a larger scale.

I think I read that they wern't going to have children in this one but were also bringing back weapon durability.  My main concern is if they are going to bring back tiered promotions or not.  I vastly prefer that to static promotions since they often offer nicer unit options or just have a mount which can greatly help specific classes.  Like armored knights moving to being on horseback so the get a huge movement boost and boosts in their other stats at the cost of a slightly lower max def and hp than in their non mounted forms.

I don't know the limitations or requirements, but you can recruit people from the other two houses to the one you're supporting if there's a character you really like in a house you aren't interested in.

In order to do promotions, your student will have to take a "proficiency test". I thought that was pretty neat.
Eww I hated having to do those back in school eons ago. Not sure what they call them now. I know it's obviously not the same thing. I would feel horrible if I put them through that though.

13th Sentinel has gone down dramatically in hype. Too many delays. While I love visual novels, the tower defense part or whatever looks uninspired. I'm sure i'll still support it, but don't really care as much anymore. 

What Target deal?
From Target's site:

Save 25% with same day order services
Save 25% on select PS4 and Xbox games. Offer valid using in store Order Pickup or Drive up. Not valid on orders using Ship to Store or on previous orders. Not all delivery methods may be available. Offer excludes items sold & shipped by Target Plus™ Partners. Discount not applicable to gift wrap, tax, or shipping and handling charges. Pricing, promotions and availability may vary by location and on Target.com. Offer expires 7/27/2019 at 11:59pm PT

Looks like Judgement got a price drop overnight. Now $40 everywhere, $30 at Target with a 25% pickup promo they're running.
In a few more months I'm sure it'll be half-off, but it hasn't even been a month. What was its original MSRP?

Regardless, if Judgment did get a price cut, Amazon Canada didn't get the memo.

Bloodstained is at a good deal atm too. 

target-order.png

It's certainly tempting.  But I'm going to be playing Three Houses starting on Friday. 

Bloodstained is at a good deal atm too.
I wound up grabbing it from a local target. Figure it will go cheaper eventually but at this price I don't mind. Would of prefered to grab the switch version if it wasn't so borked.

Didn't realize it's only 20 hours long, which works out as I should hopefully be able to beat it and trade / sell it used for close to what I paid.

I wound up grabbing it from a local target. Figure it will go cheaper eventually but at this price I don't mind. Would of prefered to grab the switch version if it wasn't so borked.
It's funny that you mention that. I bought the Switch version with GCU from Best Buy because I wanted the Metalpak bonus. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Either return it or return the bundle since the Switch version is highly inferior.

Is it funny that I consider people saying a 20 hour game short? A short game to me is like 2 hours or less long and a shortish one around 5-6 hours.

Some VN news:

Yotsunoha was released and is available from the Sol Press website and has an 18+ patch on Panty Press. Honestly the game is alright but I'm not really liking the story a lot. Characters are also annoying at times. I also don't always get the story structure, since it constantly goes back into the past and I am unsure of at times what the multiple epilogue parts mean. Just alright but decent quality.

Sol Pres Store (NSFW)

Panty Press 18+ Patch (NSFW)

Mangagamer released Higurashi When They Cry Hou Ch 7 on Steam. 10% discount till the 25th.

Love Love Cube releasing on 25th of July. Steam

Muvluv Photonflowers* releasing July 23rd.

It's funny that you mention that. I bought the Switch version with GCU from Best Buy because I wanted the Metalpak bonus. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Either return it or return the bundle since the Switch version is highly inferior.
I'm sure you're already aware of this but the steelbook has a decent resale value. (Assuming you are referring to the exclusive steelbook, it's a really nice looking bonus)

You might be able to return without the steelbook (no idea) but if not you should be able to get at least $20 for the steelbook alone on ebay, if it's in decent shape.

Edit: (I'm assuming the switch version also came with the steelbook that the ps4 and xbox versions had, if not my bad.)

I got similar problem, the switch version is so bad, I was having alot of trouble on the 2nd boss,it's just so damn choppy/laggy. The game also crashed twice when I got to the clock tower area, losing bout 20 mins of playtime each. I looked up a video online and the guy was playing on ps4, looks like a different game. So I jumped to the ps4 version and had a much more enjoyable time.

I was going to trade in the switch version last week to gamestop during the 50% trade promo along with bunch of other games, but I forgot the damn game cartridge in the switch. So now I'm kinda stuck with it lmao.

Is it funny that I consider people saying a 20 hour game short? A short game to me is like 2 hours or less long and a shortish one around 5-6 hours.
I mean, its more like a 10-12 hour playing through the story, not skipping any cut-scene and dialogues. And using the rest 5-7 hours for getting the remaining trophies for platinum. It's pretty standard for most castlevania games past SOTN tho.

No kidding. I praise the 20 dollar 20 hour Top-50 goty type games these days.

Have an entire back catalogue filled with 80-100 hour JRPG and JP games.

No kidding. I praise the 20 dollar 20 hour Top-50 goty type games these days.

Have an entire back catalogue filled with 80-100 hour JRPG and JP games.
Ugh yeah. I love rpgs but some of them are just so bloated these days. Doesn't help that I am somewhat of a completionist (been trying to break that habit) so I spend sometimes more time than others on a game. It always weirds me out that my playtime for eternal sonata was only 12-16 hours though when others post that it took them 20+ average.

I am proud of myself that I managed to knock out 13 games so far this year from my backlog. smt4 probably ate up the most time. That game definitely could have been 30 hours shorter and nothing would have been lost. Just finished ff15 today and pokemon soul silver on the 17th.

I just need to figure out what to do until fire emblem arrives. I could work on the ff4 interlude playthrough I started a while back. Or continue sss ranking the elite songs for ff theater rhythm curtain call. I just unlocked sephiroth finally. Already have all the basic songs sss ranked.

Steins;Gate Elite LE $64.50 on AMZ: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNYB9SJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Anyone who owns wanna chime it on if this is worth it?
Short answer: Yes, it's worth it. I really enjoyed the original VN on Vita and played through on Switch at the launch of Elite. I do recommend it, especially if you haven't played S;G before. Also the dlc "bonus" is actually a whole other standalone spinoff game. Most of it is pretty decent in quality, though not quite up to the standard of the original story. Also note that the book is not a traditional artbook but a storyboard of rough sketch progression of scenes from the game.

That said, I ordered a :ps4: LE from AWD during the prime day 20% and got a sealed / dinged copy for $32 (There's currently one at $40 with a similar description, the one that does not mention missing shrink wrap).

So while I do think it's worth it at $65 there might be better deals to be had since they haven't all sold at this point.

I just need to figure out what to do until fire emblem arrives.
Yeah similar boat. I just finished LoH: Trails of Azure (fan translation) and have a few days before the FE release.

I'm pretty sure my first playthrough of FE Fates: Birthright is still sitting around 80% complete, so I think I will finish that up this week to gear up for 3 houses. Aside from the artwork, I just find fates sooo "blah" that I keep putting it down for extended breaks. Time to finally finish I guess.

Yeah similar boat. I just finished LoH: Trails of Azure (fan translation) and have a few days before the FE release.

I'm pretty sure my first playthrough of FE Fates: Birthright is still sitting around 80% complete, so I think I will finish that up this week to gear up for 3 houses. Aside from the artwork, I just find fates sooo "blah" that I keep putting it down for extended breaks. Time to finally finish I guess.
i hear yah, i had to seriously find motivation to finish all three of those, that old style sprite battles are to repetitive and seeing how this one looks great but is an upgraded sprite battle, decided to pass on this since besides less characters, cant go through with more sprite based battles when i see the effort they put into the animations outside of battle, would have been nice for more anime type action. well that also part to the low specs for the switch

bread's done
Back