Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Judgement got a price drop overnight. Now $40 everywhere, $30 at Target with a 25% pickup promo they're running.
That was a great find. I'm still holding out for $20 - $30 (no target nearby, and the closest one doesn't have it anyway) because it's just for the Yakuza backlog at this point.

I tried the Kill La Kill IF demo on the PS4. Not amazing, but still pretty fun. Some of the dialogue is insanely repetitive, which makes me wonder if they'll fix that in the main game, is it just a demo issue, or if that's there to stay...

Definitely worth picking up at the $20 - $25 price range.

So the Date A Live CE from Iffy came in super early. I think this game is scheduled to be released on the 25th. 

As you can see, the CE contents are separate from the game and the pillow case with BRW on it. Makes sense since there is a PC version of the CE as well with no physical game.

Wonder if I can get the unboxing video down to 15 seconds.

PgUgxil.jpg

So the Date A Live CE from Iffy came in super early. I think this game is scheduled to be released on the 25th.

As you can see, the CE contents are separate from the game and the pillow case with BRW on it. Makes sense since there is a PC version of the CE as well with no physical game.

PgUgxil.jpg
It bugs me that they're still including G1 metal cases with PS4 games. Debating whether or not to get the CEs for it, Dragon Star, and Nep because of it. Been passing on them in favor of some competing releases lately (Fire Emblem, namely) but I do want to keep supporting IFFY for localizing niche games. Decisions, decisions.

It bugs me that they're still including G1 metal cases with PS4 games. Debating whether or not to get the CEs for it, Dragon Star, and Nep because of it. Been passing on them in favor of some competing releases lately (Fire Emblem, namely) but I do want to keep supporting IFFY for localizing niche games. Decisions, decisions.
Wait it out until Black Friday, Iffy CEs got pretty hefty discount last year

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

ONINAKI demo up on the eShop - Should be up on PS4 by tomorrow.

Runs very well on Switch and visually it's comparable to the PS4 version, once you get more spirit weapons and abilities the combat actually feels good. Quite enjoyed it.

Also your save from the demo carries over to the main game.

I tried the Kill La Kill IF demo on the PS4. Not amazing, but still pretty fun. Some of the dialogue is insanely repetitive, which makes me wonder if they'll fix that in the main game, is it just a demo issue, or if that's there to stay...

Definitely worth picking up at the $20 - $25 price range.
Still can't believe Kill la Kill is even getting a game and retail release. Will pick it up when it geta in a more appropriate price range.

ONINAKI demo up on the eShop - Should be up on PS4 by tomorrow.

Runs very well on Switch and visually it's comparable to the PS4 version, once you get more spirit weapons and abilities the combat actually feels good. Quite enjoyed it.

Also your save from the demo carries over to the main game.
Likely will get it eventually but I'm swamped with games right now.

PgUgxil.jpg
I got mine yesterday too! I've noticed that the Iffy Store has been giving me their latest releases a day before their actual release date which is pretty nice.

I couldn't resist that Kurumi daki, so I had to get it haha

Seems like aside from Playasia, Squenix EU apparently have exclusive physical release of Oninaki for both Switch and PS4. Let see if Squenix US get this too

I can't tell from PA's site if the PS4 version is multi-language or just the Switch. I agonize over where to play Tokyo RPG games. I did Setsuna on the Switch, but it only ran at 30 FPS and looked a bit worse than a PS4 or PC version. I'd probably get both if English is supported in the PS4 copy. Then there are the EU copies that won't ship to the USA.

I don't know why they have to make it so hard. At this point I'd be happy with SE USA store exclusive (like they did for Lost Sphear)--even though their shipping is basically robbery haha. 

I can't tell from PA's site if the PS4 version is multi-language or just the Switch. I agonize over where to play Tokyo RPG games. I did Setsuna on the Switch, but it only ran at 30 FPS and looked a bit worse than a PS4 or PC version. I'd probably get both if English is supported in the PS4 copy. Then there are the EU copies that won't ship to the USA.

I don't know why they have to make it so hard. At this point I'd be happy with SE USA store exclusive (like they did for Lost Sphear)--even though their shipping is basically robbery haha.
It's a bit different for Oninaki. Each platform gets a different preorder bonus weapon so you might need to factor that in too

If they don't explicitly confirm English then it isn't in English. It's weird because now some Asia-exclusive physical titles are launching with PS4 versions and Switch versions and only the Switch version has English. Chocobo's Dungeon is a recent example.

What luck that I finish 3 games before fire emblem comes out.  Only negative is that I can't play anything as I don't want to start a game I won't have time for.

It looks like the SE EU store releases for Oninaki are actually limited print runs (The PS4 version is just 1000 copies, which is super low!). I managed to get someone in the EU to help me get them ordered, but it's so lame that they made this so hard! 

Amazon got listings for physical Oninaki PS4 and NS, let see if this is real or not

Switch:

https://www.amazon.com/Oninaki-Nintendo-Switch-Standard/dp/B07SH3D7RM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=oninaki&qid=1564095671&s=videogames&sr=1-3&th=1

PS4:

https://www.amazon.com/Oninaki-PlayStation-4-Standard/dp/B07SH35NVF/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=oninaki&qid=1564095708&s=videogames&sr=1-3

So more than likely these are probably error listings then? Wish we had definitive confirmation as whether the US will be getting a physical copy somewhere.

Kill La Kill. I'm not even sure many people were interested in that one to begin with considering how not good it looked.

In terms of graphics? It's uneven, but I certainly wouldn't call it a dumpster fire, or even bad. The charatcers all look good and animate well, but the environments are really bad.

In terms of gameplay, it looks alright. At least from what I've seen. I don't play many anime arena fighters, nor have I seen the show, but it looks about par for the course, perhaps with a smaller budget.

didnt they already say they wouldnt and thats why the jp copy will also have english subs like setsuna did, i know the jp demo i downloaded was in english, those amazon listings have just been placeholders since square probably forgot to tell amazon to take them down, whats more important is why pqube wont allow preorders for gun gun pixes for switch when other regions are doing it

I'm mixed on the new magic system for fire emblem 3 houses.  On one hand it's nice that you never have to worry about stuff breaking and it refills after every battle.  But the severely limited uses hurts things.  I think if they wanted to do it this way then the low tier spells should have had their normal high usage amounts.  

And something I just thought of but will you even be able to use the blacksmith to forge them?  As if not that's gonna suck.

Three Houses is pretty cool.  It's been over a year since I played a strategy RPG so I was thirsty for a good one.  Really love the CE too; it's perfect.   CD + steelbook (+ art book) and it's only $80-100 depending on your discounts.  Came in a nice hefty, slim package like the Xenoblade 2 and Bravely Seoncd CEs.  

I also cashed in my meager NISA credit of $33.xx and ordered Trails of Cold Steel 3 CE since it's down to < 25%.  Liked the two $50 sets better but this one is for completion!

Yeah I agree.. wasn't crazy about the seasons of warfare edition on paper.  But after having it delivered today I am actually impressed.  Also thanks to the stellar cag who helped me get one.  A few hours in and I am still trying to adjust to everyone's eyes in this game.   8-[

Edit:  Now that I'm further in what really stands out so far is the depth of unit development and customization.  Enjoying that the most. 

Hows everyone doing with three houses, already 35 hours in, just got to the timeskip on 1 route, holy crap!
I'm only through the third main battle. This evening had fun..

..throwing everything I had at the optional enemy 10 levels above my party and barely winning. I also keep forgetting that this turn rewind is even a thing.
When I started I was all ready to be different and pick Blue Lions but the second I realized Black Eagles had Mitsuru's VA I shamelessly boarded the bandwagon.

At 7am Eastern (20:00 JST) there is going to be an announcement of a franchise called "Kandagawa Jet Girls"

Kenichiro Takaki (Senran Kagura/Honey Parade Games) is responsible for the game portion and the character designer is Hanaharu Naruko, who apparently does Hentai. 

Stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxdJxTm8dJ4

Hows everyone doing with three houses, already 35 hours in, just got to the timeskip on 1 route, holy crap!
I am only just in chapter 6 myself. Haven't had much time to play and due to all the setting characters up, teaching, stat stuff and supports it eats up alot of time when I do play. Just finally got rank c teaching wise and recruited Ingrid. Only really must haves are Felix Mercedes and Lysinthia sp? of the remaining characters and then Ashe and Marianne. I really wanted to have Mercedes Recruited before the end of this chapter but sadly that doesn't look like it will happen. I regret not leveling and defeating the death knight in an earlier chapter since he apparently drops the dark item needed to unlock the dark mage class.

I am only just in chapter 6 myself. Haven't had much time to play and due to all the setting characters up, teaching, stat stuff and supports it eats up alot of time when I do play. Just finally got rank c teaching wise and recruited Ingrid. Only really must haves are Felix Mercedes and Lysinthia sp? of the remaining characters and then Ashe and Marianne. I really wanted to have Mercedes Recruited before the end of this chapter but sadly that doesn't look like it will happen.
I heard for alot of character recruitment, u just need e+ and support B, and u dont even neccesarily talk the support, as long u got the prompt u can ask em to join. I didnt rly bother much with recruiting since u can only deploy 9-11 characters. As black eagle I got felix, Annette, lynthisia to join and some of the church people, they are easier to join tho.

But seriously this game is flushed with content, gonna be my Goty! Unless astral chain pulls off a miracle lol.

I was gonna post a long paragraph explaining what happened, but basically two days ago I bought the switch LE of Kill la Kill IF from Arc System's website and then 12 hours later cancelled the order. Yesterday morning I received a followup email telling me that while they cancelled the order and refunded me, they accidentally still sent me the game and asked me to return it to them at the post office. I just received the game today and am planning to return it tomorrow. If it was Amazon or any other company I would have just kept it, but since they already know they mistakenly sent it to me I don't want them to think I stole it. What would you guys do?

I was gonna post a long paragraph explaining what happened, but basically two days ago I bought the switch LE of Kill la Kill IF from Arc System's website and then 12 hours later cancelled the order. Yesterday morning I received a followup email telling me that while they cancelled the order and refunded me, they accidentally still sent me the game and asked me to return it to them at the post office. I just received the game today and am planning to return it tomorrow. If it was Amazon or any other company I would have just kept it, but since they already know they mistakenly sent it to me I don't want them to think I stole it. What would you guys do?
The game looks pretty shitty, even if you get it without paying for it, it's only free if you don't value your time.

They already realized it and asked you to return. If you choose to keep it at this point, they can charge you. Or you know, just be a decent human and do the right thing regardless.

It depends. Are they paying for return shipping?

As long as they were paying for the shipping, I would 100% return it. I always contact the company if they accidently send me something I didn't pay for though, even with huge companies like Amazon (granted I think amazon has just told me to keep it the few times it has happened). But I will not pay for return shipping to correct their mistake.

Butt stuff.

As long as they were paying for the shipping, I would 100% return it. I always contact the company if they accidently send me something I didn't pay for though, even with huge companies like Amazon (granted I think amazon has just told me to keep it the few times it has happened). But I will not pay for return shipping to correct their mistake.
amazon is definitely weird that way. I had a projector sent to me once and they told me to keep it.

bread's done
Back