Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to update/download free DLC for Asia region games(on PS4), or do I need to create a new PSN account for that region to do so?
For Playstation games (PS3, PS4, Vita, and I *think* PSP) DLC and saves are region locked. So if you want to download any DLC for, let's say, an Asian English game, then you'll need to create the corresponding PSN region account and set your PS4 to be its primary console. Then you can download DLC on that profile and install it to the PS4, and then go back to your normal NA PSN account and make use of it with the Asian disc. I have a UK, JP, and Asian (forget the exact region that you need for this one) account for this very reason.

Also, you can use a single gmail account for all of them, as putting a period in the middle of the email address still dumps it to the same mailbox. As an example, if you have [email protected] you could then make a Japanese PSN account with the email address being [email protected] and it would go to the same email address as the original without the dot. You can just move the dot for each one and have all of your regional PSN accounts technically under one email address that way.

Also, you can use a single gmail account for all of them, as putting a period in the middle of the email address still dumps it to the same mailbox. As an example, if you have [email protected] you could then make a Japanese PSN account with the email address being [email protected] and it would go to the same email address as the original without the dot. You can just move the dot for each one and have all of your regional PSN accounts technically under one email address that way.
Yo that's really cool. I've actually just been making new emails each time I needed a different region for psn. Wish I'd know this as it'd made things more streamlined.

Yo that's really cool. I've actually just been making new emails each time I needed a different region for psn. Wish I'd know this as it'd made things more streamlined.
Same at least for my 3 accounts (US/JPN/Malaysia I believe) i have 3 accounts in case I needed them for something haha.

I just saw Yakuza 7 gameplay. They're alienating their core fanbase while removing the heart of the original gameplay.

Imagine Call of Duty making their next main title a turned based tactical shooter. I'm sure the vocal minority would love the change, but that's a middle finger to the true fans that have supported the series until now.

I'm fine if they want to make a Yakuza spinoff JRPG, but don't do that to your main title.
Based on how the English title is Yakuza: Like a Dragon, it sounds like that's how Sega US/EU is treating it.

kh the story so far ps4 was 15$ at newegg but it is out of stock right now.  I suggest keeping an eye on it or if you have an xb1 and there is a version for that to see if that is instock 

I just saw Yakuza 7 gameplay. They're alienating their core fanbase while removing the heart of the original gameplay.
Agreed. I was cool with the idea of the RPG elements being part of some mini-game portion, like we all thought when the April Fools project was shown. But actually having the whole game as an RPG seems extremely strange. And they were getting the new Dragon Engine down pretty good with the latest game iterations (Kiwami 2, Judgment), all for them to abandon the action portion completely?

Not sure how to feel about this...

I'm willing to give Yakuza 7 a try.  It's one of the few franchises I still follow closely.  The turn based stuff shown in the April Fools video looked pretty dynamic for turn based gameplay so I'd imagine it'll be fun and inventive scenarios.

I feel like it would have made more sense for Judgment to be the RPG, and the Yakuza series to continue on with the beat 'em up gameplay. But maybe RGGS/Sega were worried that the spin off wouldn't sell if they took that risk. They might think that the main series can overcome the hurdle better. 

i wish cod was a tactical turned based shooter, but it would probably be too "hard" for its core audience to grasp how to play lol.

I like spin offs, that's how awesome stuff happens like Mario kart, Mario rpg, smash bros., crash team racing, persona 4 dancing, persona arena, ect ect..

Imagine Call of Duty making their next main title a turned based tactical shooter. I'm sure the vocal minority would love the change, but that's a middle finger to the true fans that have supported the series until now.
Imagine a popular FPS getting not one, but two RTS games... Wait... What was Halo Wars again?

Given how well Persona 5 did, you can't blame them for changing up a game that's relatively niche even in Japan. Yakuza 6 sold like 1/3 of Persona, which is already double that of Yakuza 5.

Plus, Yakuza is known much more for its story (and mini-games) than the combat, so I think it's a relatively harmless change.

Atelier Ryza Collectors Edition for Switch - PS4 $100 

ryza-full-nsw-esrb-white.png

I am a long time Yakuza fan, and I am optimistic for the change. Of course, my opinion is biased as hell. I'm a huge fan of turn based combat, and the best part of the Yakuza series to me was the story, mini games, characters, and world. So having those things in one package sounds great to me.

But I totally get why some people would be upset. There are not a lot of brawlers left out there, especially with a great story and world like Yakuza. So having one taken away sucks :( I am a little surprised they didn't make this a spin off, but as Zaku77 pointed out, they probably have good reasons from shying away from that.

PS - and now I want a turned based CoD

There is no shortage of other Yakuza games to play.  I'm not worried about the series changing at all.  Perhaps it will be more fun.   I like turn based rpg games.  :whistle2:o

I wonder if they didn't take a page outta Persona's recipe for success with this departure. 

As I understand it, the combat in Yakuza titles has always been one of the selling points. Apparently it's a lot of fun, with some pretty solid controls and a lot of satisfying violence. I can see why some fans might be a little sad to see it go. I also understand that some of the core appeal of Yakuza is the straight-up crazy plot, characters, and world that they're set in. I think it would be wise to hold off judgement on the upcoming game until we know whether or not those elements will still be present.

Sorry to change gears here, but I couldn't find a relevant thread to ask: what is the best free program for excel style spreadsheets? My video game collection is getting out of control (1000+ titles) so I need a good database program to inventory all my games. I refuse to pay an annual fee for excel, but I'd like something with a similar interface. Most seem to recommend Google docs but isn't it exclusively cloud based? I need a program that can save and back up the spreadsheet to my hard drive(s). Recommendations are welcome, and apologies for derailing the discussion here.

Sorry to change gears here, but I couldn't find a relevant thread to ask: what is the best free program for excel style spreadsheets? My video game collection is getting out of control (1000+ titles) so I need a good database program to inventory all my games. I refuse to pay an annual fee for excel, but I'd like something with a similar interface. Most seem to recommend Google docs but isn't it exclusively cloud based? I need a program that can save and back up the spreadsheet to my hard drive(s). Recommendations are welcome, and apologies for derailing the discussion here.
go onto Ebay and buy a Microsoft Office key for like 3 bucks. I did that in Nov. when I built my new PC. no issues.

You can download backups through Google Sheets or Microsoft Office 365 Excel manually to your local drives, both of which are free through the web. I think you can use OneDrive to sync Office 365 docs/spreadsheets as well and Google probably has something similar, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

You can of course get something like LibreOffice or OpenOffice, but its functionality is pretty poor in my opinion. Granted if you're just using it for very basic stuff it fits the need. You can of course buy a cheap Office key online like Nothing- said and while it likely won't cause issues, the really cheap keys are likely gained through less than legit methods.

EVERY key that isn't being sold by a licensed distributor at MSRP is a grey market key.   Those legit-looking key selling websites where they go for like $30 aren't any different.  It's the same thing.  You can either buy it for full price from an authorized retailer, or not. 

EVERY key that isn't being sold by a licensed distributor at MSRP is a grey market key. Those legit-looking key selling websites where they go for like $30 aren't any different. It's the same thing. You can either buy it for full price from an authorized retailer, or not.
I mean, if you know you’re buying grey market, why not just pirate?

The Yakuza news is certainly interesting

I don't mind them shaking it up for one game, although it is weird it's not a spin-off. I'm glad they said they're open to changing it back to action for the next installment if fans don't like the turn-based.

My knee-jerk reaction though is that I wish it stayed having action combat. The Yakuza series I feel is in a league of its own in the modern gaming era as a 3D brawler with a very japanese style. I know there are those that never found the combat to be a big selling point, and in Y1-3 or so it was pretty stiff, but I feel it improved in Y4 and by Y5 0 and Kiwami it was a very solid system that I enjoyed a lot. Yakuza 0 was just so much fun playing as both Kiryu and Majima. I was disappointed in the combat in Yakuza 6, although Kiwami 2 managed to rectify some of my problems with the Dragon engine combat. If they do something interesting with the turn-based, it could be interesting. Otherwise, I hope Yakuza retains its more unique identify as a 3D brawler type of thing

Sorry to change gears here, but I couldn't find a relevant thread to ask: what is the best free program for excel style spreadsheets?
I've used OpenOffice (Calc is the spreadsheet program) for years. It works perfectly fine and you can even save the spreadsheets in excel format to send to people with MS Office.

I've used OpenOffice (Calc is the spreadsheet program) for years. It works perfectly fine and you can even save the spreadsheets in excel format to send to people with MS Office.
I second this. I've only used Open Office or Libre Office for years now and have never had a problem. They both work phenomenally well and have full support for all official office files. You can save as their standard or that of Microsoft's. The only real difference is really the interface which is easy enough to change over to. If not that I'd say the next best alternative would be Google docs

Add another to the Libre Office clan. While I'm not a *heavy* spreadsheet user, I've found that it does everything I ever used Excel for. If there is a specific feature from Excel you need, you'll find out if it has it rather quickly. No risk as it's free.

As for grey market keys, they are 'slightly' better than Captain Kidd-ing software as at least you can download the isos/exes from Microsoft directly. When pillaging the high seas, you dont know what's in the programs.

Bunch of database pansies. Time to put on your adult pants, crack open a text editor, and program your own database in straight SQL. That's how a real collector organizes their collection!

I kid. My day job involves web development for an enterprise application, so I'm elbow-deep in databases all the time. Writing, altering and querying databases is second nature to me. For the more casual user, I'll throw in another recommendation for Libre Office. I usually install that suite on my computers, just in case I need to open an excel or word file. The open-source office suites are quite serviceable, I never have any real issues using them. Someone familiar with Excel should be able to pick up their equivalent program easily enough. (I think it's called "Math")

Looks like some pretty good deals in that Aksys sale.

Take a look at my signature. Dig through my spreadsheet and see how I set it up. It works amazingly well. Cloud based is 100% the way you want to go. You'll never lose the file. You can share it with whoever you want (and lock it to protect it). You can update it on your PC, your phone, your tablet, etc and it's always up to date and the same everywhere.

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Just saw that FF8R pre-orders get a theme and I had to get it for that. It’s not even a good theme, but good god, the menu sounds. Possibly the only menu sounds more nostalgic for me are Xenosaga Episode I’s, and I’m not even sure of that.

Those fuck ing bastards.

Just saw that FF8R pre-orders get a theme and I had to get it for that. It’s not even a good theme, but good god, the menu sounds. Possibly the only menu sounds more nostalgic for me are Xenosaga Episode I’s, and I’m not even sure of that.

Those fuck ing bastards.
Just *maybe* it will be sold seperately down the road, I know Mega Man 11 had a theme as preorder bonus, but they ended up selling it for couple bucks as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Somehow, I think I will be able to soldier on, despite this Siren-related omission. I'm sure it will be a terrible burden, but I will endure. I'm sure Final Fantasy VIII, one of my favourite of the series, will be SOOOOO much different thanks to the inclusion of additional feathers.

Seriously though, I should not be looking forward so much to a game I've played multiple times, on multiple different platforms. It's kind of indecent how SquareEnix gets away with selling me these games over and over again. But I still want a copy of Final Fantasy VIII remastered on my Switch.

The Rinoa change to me just looks like they updated some of the model geometry, not so much intentional censorship. The Siren change looks pretty damn intentional, but I don't know that I really want to see pubes in my summons anyway.

As much as I'm not for censorship, in the interest of choosing my battles this really isn't a big deal to me.

bread's done
Back