Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your logic and counter with: but there's 2 Japanese characters in the game. Not to mention a fairly diverse cast of Asian characters

Just skip it if you don't want to read it my friend.
I honestly can’t tell if you’re trying to make a serious argument or trying to be funny.

All I can tell for sure is that in either case success has eluded you.

I honestly can’t tell if you’re trying to make a serious argument or trying to be funny.

All I can tell for sure is that in either case success has eluded you.
Imagine being so butthurt over something that harms no one, you feel the need to start gatekeeping

I also agree that this is a stupid place for the Overwatch posts. Like, it's not a niche Japanese game; who decided to start doing that? lol

BUT

I really can't stand it when people play forum police and act like the rules of a fucking forum on the internet are some holy tablet that mustn't be challenged. So I say keep 'em coming. I'll keep thinking it's stupid to have them here, and I'll keep not doing shit to change that they are because it's a forum and who cares. 

I also agree that this is a stupid place for the Overwatch posts. Like, it's not a niche Japanese game; who decided to start doing that? lol

BUT

I really can't stand it when people play forum police and act like the rules of a fucking forum on the internet are some holy tablet that mustn't be challenged. So I say keep 'em coming. I'll keep thinking it's stupid to have them here, and I'll keep not doing shit to change that they are because it's a forum and who cares.
How is suggesting that there may be a more appropriate thread on this forum for discussing a popular American FPS than the one dedicated to niche Japanese games acting like “forum police”? I’m honestly, unsarcastically lost on this interpretation.

How is suggesting that there may be a more appropriate thread on this forum for discussing a popular American FPS than the one dedicated to niche Japanese games acting like “forum police”? I’m honestly, unsarcastically lost on this interpretation.
That statement wasn't 100% directed at you. In the past, I've always had an issue with people acting as forum police and have gotten in arguments with some folks over it. That part of my post was more a follow up to my initial statement of thinking its dumb for Overwatch news to be here, as I am definitely not going to be a hypocrite. Haha

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

I watched a longplay of the last 13 Sentinels demo that came out and it ended up being like 2 hours of dialogue, does anyone know if this one has more gameplay than just running around?
Yes, this one shows gameplay. Just skip around it and it should be easy to spot.

Yes, this one shows gameplay. Just skip around it and it should be easy to spot.
Neat, I'll check it out later.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone checked out the Nioh 2 demo yet? I'm just messing around with the character creator, and I really frigging love how they do hairstyles in this one. Most base hairstyles give you further options, like different styles of bangs, sides, and even the ponytail/pigtail style. You can even individually change different elements' length, waviness... I don't even know, man. The customization potential for hair is through the roof compared to most CC I've seen.

I have to say Aegis' gameplay doesn't look that good to me. I'll likely play it whenever anyway cause I like mecha and all but it just looks kind of not that action packed and kind of tower defense like. I don't know just looks average nonetheless.

Neat, I'll check it out later.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone checked out the Nioh 2 demo yet? I'm just messing around with the character creator, and I really frigging love how they do hairstyles in this one. Most base hairstyles give you further options, like different styles of bangs, sides, and even the ponytail/pigtail style. You can even individually change different elements' length, waviness... I don't even know, man. The customization potential for hair is through the roof compared to most CC I've seen.
I've been obsessed with the demo since the other night. I really wanted to make a custom character to submit to the contest they are having, but there were so many options I got impatient and just started playing lol. I did have a lot of fun with the hair too.

I like when we talk about somewhat random stuff sometimes, if there's a shared interest between at least a few of us

I don't play overwatch so I usually skip over the stuff, sometimes the posts are a little lengthy lol but it's alright to me, people like it in here

I've been obsessed with the demo since the other night. I really wanted to make a custom character to submit to the contest they are having, but there were so many options I got impatient and just started playing lol. I did have a lot of fun with the hair too.
I tried to make a badass Cantonese pirate, but then I started playing the game and apparently instead I'm some schlubby Japanese samurai. I feel cheated.

I like the Overwatch posts. I honestly get more news for the game here than anything else, and I come here for the RPG deals and upcoming stuff, so two birds with one stone. *shrugs*

Is Resonance a straight port or did they improve on anything at all?

I'm typically a fan of Tri-Ace games but this one was so hard to stomach...

Little Witch Academia was delisted from Steam. You can't buy it directly on steam anymore but you can probably still get a steam key from places like humble bundle, fanatical, and greenmangaming. Better get it while you can.
It's back.

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time relisted on Steam following abrupt delisting

Now that the issue is solved, season 2 when??

LGIkxMC.jpg

Don't see it mentioned yet, but a couple of great drops at BB, especially if you still have GCU.

I do, so grabbed both.

Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World - Nintendo Switch $19.99/GCU $15.99

Warriors Orochi 4 Standard Edition - Nintendo Switch $19.99/GCU $15.99

Please note, the PS4 Nelke isn't affected, and still clearanced at $25.99 price.

Both of these are great prices, so if you've been waiting for a decent price point, I'd say just get it before it falls into out of stock obscurity.

Enjoy!

Don't see it mentioned yet, but a couple of great drops at BB, especially if you still have GCU.

I do, so grabbed both.

Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World - Nintendo Switch $19.99/GCU $15.99

Warriors Orochi 4 Standard Edition - Nintendo Switch $19.99/GCU $15.99

Please note, the PS4 Nelke isn't affected, and still clearanced at $25.99 price.

Both of these are great prices, so if you've been waiting for a decent price point, I'd say just get it before it falls into out of stock obscurity.

Enjoy!
I was just about to post about the Nelke Switch price drop to $19.99 at Best Buy.

Also, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition had a price drop this morning to $19.99 (PS4) and $29.99 (Switch) respectively. I'm pretty sure the $19.99 price is a new lowest price at BB for the game.

I was just about to post about the Nelke Switch price drop to $19.99 at Best Buy.

Also, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition had a price drop this morning to $19.99 (PS4) and $29.99 (Switch) respectively. I'm pretty sure the $19.99 price is a new lowest price at BB for the game.
I just regret picking up Vesperia during the last Pro Day sale at GS.

Could've saved $4 more with GCU. :*(

Aw well.

tales of berseria ps4 is also 19.99 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Berseria-PlayStation-4/dp/B01HQGWBZ2/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

.hack g.u. last recode is 16.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0743X12TX/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

so5 is 16.74 https://www.amazon.com/Star-Ocean-Integrity-Faithlessness-PlayStation-4/dp/B00ZM6I932/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

exist archive the other side of the sky is 10.99 for ps4 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01ESA0W3C/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all I somewhat rec this title for that price just know that the beginning section is the hardest and it is primarily a metroidvania with turn based combat during battle and 2d platforming outside of it.

dq heroes 2 is 12.94 ps4 https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-Heroes-II-Explorers-PlayStation/dp/B01NCBTOO7/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&th=1

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below ps4 is 12.78 https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-Heroes-Blight-PlayStation-4/dp/B00TUFUD0S/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&th=1

DQ11 ps4 21.82 https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-Echoes-Elusive-playstation-4/dp/B07BTN9YXB/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me= Note that this is the eu version.

DQ11 switch $49 eu version https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07SJFWCSL/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception 19.99 ps4 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MR7GOF0/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all  Or as we all lovingly know it as underwater ray romano

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth - PlayStation 4 18.98 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01N4PIA32/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/tokyo-xanadu-e-x?utm_source=Push&utm_medium=Push&utm_campaign=TokyoXanadu
Tokyo Xanadu ex+ is on sale again on fanatical for 8.99 Not a terrible deal though I recall it having been cheaper.

Sword art online fatal bullet ps4 19.43 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B074WQLH4H/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Does the PS4 version offer any benefit over the Switch version?
You get a higher resolution (1080p) but it doesn't have Pro support for some reason. I've heard rumblings that it has HDR (which would be amazing for that game's art style), but I haven't tried mine out yet to confirm. More importantly, though, the entire game runs at 60 FPS, whereas the Switch only runs battles at 60; that's a much larger difference.

Nelke is "the bad one" though isn't it? Some sort of town sim rather than the typical Atelier game.
It's a spin off game that is full of fan service for prior Atelier games. I haven't started mine yet (story of my life) but based on all of the reviews I've watched, I think I'm really going to like it a lot. It seems that most of the people that consider it bad are mad that a spin off game from a franchise that already gets too many damn releases isn't exactly like all of the other damn releases. :booty:

Debating if I want to pick up Tales of Vesperia for Xbox or wait for the eventual Steam sale or possible Humble Monthly pickup.

Decisions...
Well the console versions have a large amount of free dlc while the pc version on steam seems to only have 2 free dlc packs. So I would into what the steam version has. As if it doesn't have all the stuff the console versions do then it's a no brainer.

It's a spin off game that is full of fan service for prior Atelier games. I haven't started mine yet (story of my life) but based on all of the reviews I've watched, I think I'm really going to like it a lot. It seems that most of the people that consider it bad are mad that a spin off game from a franchise that already gets too many damn releases isn't exactly like all of the other damn releases. :booty:
I’d say it’s probably a bit more that the Atelier team is pumping out so many games these days that adding spinoffs in genres they don’t even specialize in is just going to make the quality of all their games suffer; but I don’t play Atelier games, so that’s just speculation on my part.

So I just finished AI: The Somnium Files last night and it was DAMN amazing (IMO, of course).

Here are some things I really liked about it: (no actual spoilers, I just used the tag since it's a huge text wall)
-Story was very interesting, the concept of exploring people's subconsious was very neat
-Characters were really well thought out and engaging, you really end up liking and feeling for them
-The implementation of real-life issues (Dementia, brain disorders, etc) really helped make the characters more human
-English dub was SO GOOD. Greg Chun as Date was perfect and Erika Harlacher as Aiba was also great 
-Different routes made the story more engaging, makes you more emotionally invested in the characters
-The routes were actually quite different as well, not just copy-pastes with slight changes
-[Annihilation Route was devastating, still emotionally depressing whenever I think about it]
-Humor was really well implemented, I actually chuckled more times I can count during my whole playthrough
-The random references to other games and media was hilarious (Danganronpa, Pokemon, Doraemon, Steins;Gate, Dragonball, etc)
-The "final plot twist" may not have been as groundbreaking as previous Uchikoshi titles, but it was still very good
-Aiba is best girl :)

Anyways, if I had to rate the game I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Definitely one of my favorites for this year. I believe it took me 35 hours to complete all the routes. I'd definitely recommend the game unless you're not a fan of Danganronpa or Phoenix Wright games. Previous Uchikoshi games too, if you don't like those then you probably won't like this one. Really enjoyed the game.

Now I can go back to playing Ryza.

I don’t understand why I have to delete like 20GB of games from my hard drive so that my PS4 can download a half gigabyte update for Monster Hunter.

I don’t understand why I have to delete like 20GB of games from my hard drive so that my PS4 can download a half gigabyte update for Monster Hunter.
I run into the same type of problem with my 'old and busted' android phone. That ish pisses me off. I'm sure it has something to do with duplicate files and being able to have space to apply the patch before deleting the old file, blah, blah, blah, but it still just doesnt sit well with me.

I hate Overwatch, take them down!
I'm indifferent toward Overwatch, do whatever.

Any of you guys see the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie design? I think it's my favorite Sonic design of all time.

sonic-leak.jpg

I'd be totally down with him looking like this in future games. Blue arms and all.

bread's done
Back