Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Limited Run Switch and PS4 release of VA-11 Hall-A is up for preorder today, looking forward to getting a physical copy. I know some of you are fans of the game (me too)

I can never remember if there’s anything I want to get from Play-Asia whenever they run these deals.
best to just look for affordable backlog editions, i always forget either a code or the coupon, not really great deals on alot of their stuff but they have stock of some titles that might have been difficult to import from other sites

Speaking of play-asia coupons, someone on one of my facebook groups made the remark that... if you read the fine print behind the coupon, you're absolutely NOT supposed to share them! (point #4) Even a vague threat of cancellations. So I suppose this means they can trace the coupon code to your order number and then to your account? And potentially lock up your account?

Just sharing what I learned the other day -- don't shoot the messenger here.

Speaking of play-asia coupons, someone on one of my facebook groups made the remark that... if you read the fine print behind the coupon, you're absolutely NOT supposed to share them! (point #4) Even a vague threat of cancellations. So I suppose this means they can trace the coupon code to your order number and then to your account? And potentially lock up your account?

Just sharing what I learned the other day -- don't shoot the messenger here.
Years ago, someone mentioned a CS rep reaching out about it when they used someone else's code. It wasn't a "how dare you, we're cancelling your order inquiry" but more of a "we don't understand why you're using someone else's coupon" inquiry.

So they can trace the coupons, yes, but I don't know if they'll do anything punitive about sharing them. It'd be news if they did but you never know.

I doubt Playasia would ban over coupon sharing. The whole point of the coupon is to entice the customer to buy more stuff. If the original person or another uses it Playasia still gets its money instead of no one using it & not getting any revenue.
If the coupons were stackable or abused in a way not intended sure, but that's not the case.

just read a story that Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 combo pack for SWITCH has been listed the same greek store that leaked the AC Black Flag / Rogue ahead of it being publicly unveiled.  Hopefully this comes true as I would rather play it on Switch but the $80-$90 import is not in english.  Also, I hope they further optimize it.

Play Asia is offering some kind of English version of the game for Switch, though it says "Please ensure the Nintendo Switch console is connected to the internet to start the software update for English version" which kinda sounds like it won't have all the games on the cartridge. 

I'm on the fence about it, but have a copy preordered with a streamer's 5% off coupon code, which comes out to an additional $4.50 off and no tax. Also shipping is free through the 9th.

Play Asia is offering some kind of English version of the game for Switch, though it says "Please ensure the Nintendo Switch console is connected to the internet to start the software update for English version" which kinda sounds like it won't have all the games on the cartridge.

I'm on the fence about it, but have a copy preordered with a streamer's 5% off coupon code, which comes out to an additional $4.50 off and no tax. Also shipping is free through the 9th.
Maybe the english voices are a download? I know a lot of games in the west have had japanese voices as a separate download. I prefer japanese voices for atelier series anyway so if that's the case it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Maybe the english voices are a download? I know a lot of games in the west have had japanese voices as a separate download. I prefer japanese voices for atelier series anyway so if that's the case it wouldn't be an issue for me.
That's how I took it, you download the English patch.

PlayAsia also confirmed all 3 games are in the cartridge.

They could include Ayesha on an 8gb cartridge and the "Update" would be the other two games. Yes you get all the games with a single cartridge, but the data isn't there. Kinda like Final Fantasy X/X-2 on Switch.

They could include Ayesha on an 8gb cartridge and the "Update" would be the other two games. Yes you get all the games with a single cartridge, but the data isn't there. Kinda like Final Fantasy X/X-2 on Switch.
They confirmed on Twitter that all 3 games on the cartridge, which seems to be more common for Asian releases.

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

The Music DLC pretty much doubles the game data size on Vita so that's probably what they cut to fit it on a single cart. 

God Eater 3 (PS4 version only) is down to $19.99 at Best Buy as a price drop ($15.99 after GCU).  Switch version is still showing $39.99.

Hmm, regarding that Atelier Dusk Trilogy Pack, so now we know that English is included on the cart. I'm assuming that means the English voices? Sorry if I'm not understanding that tweet right.

I'm sure most prefer the Japanese voices, but I actually became accustomed to the English voices. It would be nice if those were included as well.

Hmm, regarding that Atelier Dusk Trilogy Pack, so now we know that English is included on the cart. I'm assuming that means the English voices? Sorry if I'm not understanding that tweet right.

I'm sure most prefer the Japanese voices, but I actually became accustomed to the English voices. It would be nice if those were included as well.
The main concern in my case was that you would pop in the cart and there would be a mandatory update to play anything other than Ayesha. They only ever pulled JP voice DLC once with Escha and Logy Plus on Vita.

Idea Factory Neptunia merch is on sale.

https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1204094165782421504

Are people intentionally misreading these tweets regarding Atelier Dusk Trilogy?

The 3 games are in the cartridge

Both English & Japanese Audio are in the cartridge

English Subs

Not sure how much clearer this can get. 

Are people intentionally misreading these tweets regarding Atelier Dusk Trilogy?

English Subs

The back of the box indicates there's a download. They can say the games are included then force a 20gb update to download the others. That concern was addressed.

Resident Evil 3 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDm9T1TKvU

Resident Evil 3 Special Developer Message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2TGigdVVMg

GameStop Exclusive Resident Evil 3 Collector's Edition

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1204407544103333889

Babylon's Fall Trailer from Square-Enix and Platinum Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PckcAblyGB4

I am legit shocked to see Babylon's Fall still exists, the reveal trailer said the game was coming 2019 and then it just sort of vanished off the face of the planet until right now. Gameplay looks like someone really enjoyed Devil Sword Dante and wanted to make a whole game around it lol.

English Subs

Yeah, I was pretty confused since I don't buy Asia releases that often. I wasn't sure if they included English audio, and I also remember someone else mentioning a different game that didn't include any English audio (can't remember which one), which kinda made me doubt this one would too.

But if what you say is true, then I'm all for the Asia Physical release!

Also, I can see why some would doubt all 3 games being on the cart. We've seen instances like Resident Evil Revelations 1&2, where Revelations 1 was on the cart and Revelations 2 was a separate download. And then we have other instances like Assassin's Creed 4 & Rogue Pack, where both are technically 'on the cart', but in order to play Rogue you need to download 8.4 GB of downloadable content. (What's disappointing is that they don't even mention a download being necessary on the box at all)

Let's hope this Atelier Bundle doesn't end up like the Assassin's Creed bundle.

Kinda excited about this cause I never got to play this on Vita when it came out.

But I did play all the others except Ys Dama

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1205142411783102464

Some nice price drop at Best Buy/Amazon, AI: The Somnium Files, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II PS4, and Senran Kagura Peach Ball are $29.99 each

Looks like there's a complete fan translation for the original Sakura Wars/Taisen on the Sega Saturn. Not sure how many are interested, but I wasn't sure anybody else would mention it.

Some nice price drop at Best Buy/Amazon, AI: The Somnium Files, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II PS4, and Senran Kagura Peach Ball are $29.99 each
Thanks for the heads up! Noticed Crystar and Zanki Zero were that price also and ended up getting them.

Some nice price drop at Best Buy/Amazon, AI: The Somnium Files, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II PS4, and Senran Kagura Peach Ball are $29.99 each
AI: The Somnium Files is a good deal at that price considering it's sold out on most other retail sites. Price could go lower but not worth the risk if you want the game on hard copy. Picked one up myself a few minutes ago.

AI: The Somnium Files is a good deal at that price considering it's sold out on most other retail sites. Price could go lower but not worth the risk if you want the game on hard copy. Picked one up myself a few minutes ago.
Same, they went pretty quickly on Black Friday and I've been kicking myself for not picking it up since. Looking forward to playing it, I;'m a big fan of the Zero Escape series and it's the same writer.

Same, they went pretty quickly on Black Friday and I've been kicking myself for not picking it up since. Looking forward to playing it, I;'m a big fan of the Zero Escape series and it's the same writer.
Just be sure to examine the receptionist fully.

bread's done
Back