Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love visual novels. I'm not a fan of the eroge ones, usually. But I definitely enjoy a well done VN. I find the pictures, sound, music, etc can really enhance a story.

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Two Pokemon things:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Remake

Pokemon Sword Shield expansion pass $29.99 per game.

Does anyone know the best buy price history tracker website?  I think I saw it here once but can't find it anymore

Atelier Dusk Collection DX is out with a 10% launch discount. There are a couple outfits missing from the DX versions that are included in the Plus versions (mostly texture swaps) and the Switch version throws up a loading screen going between areas while PS4 is nearly seamless. 

Play Asia's limited 5000 print Asia copies are supposedly going to connect to the US eShop for DLC but as of today there's no listings for DLC.

Persona 5 Scramble is looking really good.

1fa51cfa3daddfc234ffacb95c6a6aeec3f59135723fad5dfcaa93cb84b04eb9.gif

7a35bb66aa4982e20ba4c9261dada5a673a9822f58e22c5e4f52fcd763d50bec.gif

96bcb1f6c8587ce1e4d19901806d1619c05917887b43c8452e2de94eeab78cfa.gif

There's a couple tweets out indicating the Play Asia exclusive English physical Switch release of Dusk DX does not prompt for any downloads. 

Has anyone here played through Tokyo Chronos--that VR VN? My Kickstarter copy just came in with a big indent in the cover art (ofc), and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the major hassle of trying to get a replacement, or if I should just skip it. The visuals look really bland and meh, but the story could make it a winner?

From nookgaming about Tokyo Chronos VR in their top 5 of 2019 VN post:

"While I did not feel this was good enough to be top 5 material, Tokyo Chronos was probably the best done VR visual novel I have seen yet.

It has a rather interesting mystery story that kept me guessing quite a bit with all the twists. Eight childhood friends are stuck in an empty version of Shibuya and have to find out who the killer is. I enjoyed going down all the different branches and revealing the secret at the end."

So likely the best available for VR VNs right now,  so it's your choice.

Playing vesperia ps4 and I've noticed a couple annoying changes.  First none of the gigantos are where they are supposed to be after the first 2 near nordopolica.  The one on mt temza wasn't there, the griffin wasn't near the hot springs and the boar wasn't near deidon hold. 

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/games/products/gun-gun-pixies/11096307.html
Gun gun pixies launch edition dropped to 29.99. I grabbed a mint shrink wrapped copy today at a local store
Hmm for that price I may bite on that.

To not spam multiple messages some VN releases are coming or have been released:

Released recently:

Chuusotsu - 1.5th Graduation from Fruitbat Factory with release discount.

Customer Cums First from Cherry Kiss Games (NSFW 18+) with release discount.

Magic & Slash -Riru’s Sexy Grand Adventure from Mangagamer (NSFW 18+) with release discount.

Senren*Banka Trial was released on Steam so will know the release date soon.

Release dates for the games below:

Imoutou Paradise 3 from Mangagamer (NSFW 18+) on 02/13/2010 with pre-order discount. (Yay!)

Togainu no Chi from Jast USA (NSFW 18+) on 02/25/2020.

Finally got my 150th extreme perfect a few days ago in Project Diva Future Tone DX (it was Lucid Dreaming). That's out of 238 songs total. I posted last June about hitting 100, so I'm continuing to improve. An 8 in difficulty seems pretty easy to me now.

1. 1/6 Out of the Gravity 7
2. Yellow 6
3. Tell Your World 6.5
4. Weekender Girl 7
5. Miku Miku ni Shite Ageru 7
6. Yume no Tsuzuki 6.5
7. Electric Angel 7
8. Glory 3usi9 7.5
9. Far Away 6
10. Secret Garden 6
11. Double Lariat 7
12. Rin Rin Signal 7
13. Cat Food 8
14. LOL -lots of laugh- 7.5
15. Innocence 6
16. Sayonara Goodbye 7
17. Inochi no Uta 6 (all 6s done)
18. Starduster 6.5
19. Monochrome Blue Sky 7
20. Last Night, Good Night 6.5
21. Packaged 7
22. Freely Tomorrow 7
23. Finder 7
24. Kokoro 7
25. Cantarella 7
26. Kouya to Mori to Mahou no Uta 6.5
27. Dear Cocoa Girls 6.5
28. Anata no Utahime 7
29. Amenochi Sweet Drops 7
30. World is Mine 7.5
31. Koi Suru Vocaloid 7
32. Roshin Yuukai 8
33. Ookami Girl 7.5
34. Shinkai Shoujo 7
35. Nisoku Hokou 8
36. Melancholic 8
37. Hand in Hand 7.5
38. Kamikyoku 7
39. Tengaku 8
40. Hajimete no Oto 7
41. Hello, Worker 8
42. Like the Wind 8
43. Meteor 7.5
44. High School Days 8
45. Sennen no Dokusouka 7
46. Night of Light 7.5
47. Dear 7.5
48. Fireflower 7.5
49. Sekiranun Graffiti 7
50. Melt 7
51. Tokyo Teddy Bear 8
52. Biroudo Arabesque 6.5
53. Karakuri Pierrot 8
54. Sweet Magic 8
55. Nightmare Party Night 6.5
56. Puzzle 6.5
57. Palette 7
58. Star Story 7
59. Holy Star 7
60. Magical Sound Shower 8.5
61. Hajimemashite Chikyuujin-san 8
62. Sono Ichibyou Slow Motion 7
63. Kyodai Shoujo 7
64. Decorator 7.5
65. Yume Yume 7
66. Hello Planet 8
67. So Much Loving You 8
68. Yuukyuu 6.5 (all 6.5s done)
69. Clover Club 7
70. Love List Koushinchuu 7
71. Hajimete no Koi ga Owaru Toki 7.5
72. Moon 7.5
73. Nayuta no Kanata Made 7
74. Hanamai Tsukuyomi Tan 7.5
75. Ai Kotoba 7
76. Uta ni Katachi wa Nai Keredo 7
77. Karakasa-san wa Touru 7
78. Sakura no Ame 7
79. Change Me 7
80. Hato 7
81. Maigo Life 7
82. Time Machine 7.5
83. Suki Kirai 7.5
84. Interviewer 7.5
85. 39 7
86. from Y to Y 7
87. Futari de 7.5
88. Amata no Mai 7
89. Honto wa Wakatteru 7
90. Pink Moon 7.5 (CT rank max)
91. Soundless Voice 7.5
92. Shiroi Yuki no Princess wa 7.5
93. Guuzou Musen 7.5
94. Koi Note 7.5
95. Neko Mimi Switch 7.5
96. Yubikiri 8.5
97. Shinkai City Underground 7 (all 7s done)
98. Gemini 7.5
99. Tricolore Airline 7.5
100. Colorful x Melody 8
101. Odds & Ends 8.5
102. Hinekure Mono 7.5
103. Neto-ge Haijin Sprechchor 8
104. Adolescence 8
105. Summer Idol 8
106. Stargazer 8
107. Gizmo 8
108. shake it 8
109. Nostalogic 7.5
110. Black Rock Shooter 7.5
111. Mellow Yellow 8
112. Torinokocity 8
113. Amatsu Kitsune 8
114. Zigg-Zagg 8
115. Electrosaturator 8
116. Dou iu Koto nano 8
117. Marginal 8
118. Kodoku no Hate 8
119. Yumekui Shirokuro Baku 8
120. Dreaming Leaf -Yumemiru Kotonoha- 8
121. Senbonzakura 8
122. ACUTE 7.5
123. Perico Space Shipper 7.5
124. Koi wa Sensou 8
125. Kataomoi Samba 7.5
126. Dye 8.5
127. Promise 8
128. Erase or Zero 8
129. Voice -Diva Mix- 8
130. Strobe Nights 7.5
131. Melody 8 (FS rank max, shortly after this)
132. Starlite Lydian 8
133. Tsuki Mukau Made no Travel 8
134. Terekakushi Shinshunki 8
135. Hoshikuzu Utopia 8
136. Stay With Me 7.5 (all 7.5s done)
137. Boukyaku Shinjuu 8
138. Miku Miku-kin ni Gochuu 8
139. Sound 8
140. Migikata no Chou 8
141. break;down 8
142. Piano*Girl 8.5
143. Black Gold 8.5
144. Ievan Polkka 8
145. Akatsuki Arrival 8.5
146. World's End Umbrella 8
147. Megane 8
148. Hai wa Hai ni 8
149. Rimokon 8
150. Lucid Dreaming 8
151. Tsugai Kogarashi 8
152. Houkai Utahime -disruptive diva- 8

Just received my Atelier Dusk Trilogy Deluxe Pack for Switch from Play Asia and came with a nice little keychain.

For some actual sales Denpasoft is having a Lunar New Year Sale (NSFW). Decent discounts across their whole collection. For the Steam Lunar New Year Sale Sekai Project has similar discounts. Mangagamer also some sales on Steam. Mangagamer has theirs in the sale too. 

I got the Atelier Dusk DX collection from Play Asia today. Opening it up in the cartridge dump tool showed it was a 32gb cartridge, and there were no downloads. It's coded for the Asia eshop so no claiming gold coins. The icons did however take over my US digital version of the game as opposed to creating a new set of the games.

Saw some talk about rhythm games a few days back. I've been playing some DJ Max Respect, and its one of the best rhythm games I ever played, the aesthetics are phenomenal. I highly recommend it.

On sale for $17.49 for 2 more weeks.
nice I just reinstalled it the other day now that I have an external hard drive. it's got solid production values for sure, I'm just not very good at it compared to project diva haha

Saw some talk about rhythm games a few days back. I've been playing some DJ Max Respect, and its one of the best rhythm games I ever played, the aesthetics are phenomenal. I highly recommend it.

On sale for $17.49 for 2 more weeks.
nice I just reinstalled it the other day now that I have an external hard drive. it's got solid production values for sure, I'm just not very good at it compared to project diva haha
DJ Max has always been a favorite of mine, going back to when I first learned about it on PSP. I was surprised to see it in the sale page

Root Letter: Last Answer was a recent new converted to used title at Gamestop.  Switch is priced $19.99 and PS4 is $14.99.  Hopefully the stores didn't throw out the bonus items that came with it when it was converted to used.

In case you find the game without any bonus items out on the floor, it's a good idea to ask the cashier about them. Often they just leave the bonus stuff in a drawer & forget to give it to the buyer when the game sells.

Wow Root Letter: Last Answer crashed in price. Also I'm not sure how many people were clamoring for an enhanced version of Root Letter in the first place. Now I look like a fool for buying it early (the bonus stuff is pretty nice so try to find a complete copy).

Wow Root Letter: Last Answer crashed in price. Also I'm not sure how many people were clamoring for an enhanced version of Root Letter in the first place. Now I look like a fool for buying it early (the bonus stuff is pretty nice so try to find a complete copy).
I feel only slightly foolish because I found a complete used PS4 copy for $27.99 at a Gamestop during the B2G2 last month.

All links NSFW.

NekoNyan announced a release date and some announcements:

Blog Post 1 and Blog Post 2

Senren*Banka is coming out on Valentine's day. Cool but I wish it came out sooner. Making Lovers is after that and Hello Lady likely after that both being 100% translated and edited.

Clover Day's

Dracu-Riot!

Fureraba coming to Switch

IxSHE Tell

Kinkoi: Golden Loveriche

Riddle Joker

Thoughts on them:

Clover Day's is from ALcot and is about a guy who was raised in an orphanage in England. He is adopted in Japan and has twin sisters and 2 other girls supporting him. After 10 years what promise did they make? Seems like a usual moege type VN. Honestly looks pretty nice, cute and an easy purchase.

Dracu-Riot! is from Yuzusuft and was previously fan translated. I've played it myself and it's very good other than maybe 1 route. I will buy it again and play it again as I forgot a lot of what happened. It's high quality and was Sekai Project's but now it's NekoNyan. I am glad.

IxSHE Tell is from Hooksoft is about a guy who ends up getting the ban of dating lifted from his school. Now that it's done a bunch of girls will be like oh yeah now is my chance for this hottie. It looks super typical but could be high quality. I'll play it.

Kinkoi is from Saga Planets and has a normal guy save a princess one day and he is allowed to go to the prestigious school which incites jealously. This is his story with that princess and some other blonde girls. Looks really cute honestly although very typical. Still worth a play.

Riddle Joker is from Yuzusoft and has a guy who is adopted along with his adopted sister infiltrate a high school where people are trained up that have astral abilities, which are similar to super powers. He gets along fine and all but is eventually found out and also finds out the girl's secret which is that she is padding and has small breasts! What will they do? Honestly this is the most exciting of the bunch and I feel will be very good. I am excited for it and will play it.

Honestly NekoNyan have become one of my favorite localization companies with Mangagamer and all these announcements are right up my alley. All will be bought on release and I'll give my thoughts when I play them.

Grabbed this on amazon not too long ago new. Would have snapped this up otherwise.
Yeah, I've been eyeing it for awhile myself, and finally got to this price point.

I probably would've picked it up at $19.99 to be honest, but this drop was like drastic, and didn't go down by the usual increments, so didn't even get the chance to consider it used at a slightly higher price.

Though, I probably won't get all the goodies from the used set when I go pick it up later today, but fingers crossed.

Never done kickstarter before but I will for Platinum. W101 is one of the few games still stuck on Wii U that I really wanted to play. If we can just get a Mario 3D World port on Switch I can feel okay about never owning one lol.

I want the LoZ ports and 3D World, but after that wont look at the WiiU ever.
Yeah literally almost every good game on the Wii U has been ported at this point. I had hoped but never expected Tokyo Mirage Sessions to be ported to switch. I really want to play Wind Waker HD though, please Nintendo

Oh and speaking of Platinum games, I beat Astral Chain yesterday. While initially the game didn't feel that amazing to me, the combat really expanded after a few chapters, and I overall really enjoyed it. I recommend checking it out

Oh and speaking of Platinum games, I beat Astral Chain yesterday. While initially the game didn't feel that amazing to me, the combat really expanded after a few chapters, and I overall really enjoyed it. I recommend checking it out
About how I feel as well, the game starts out slow but after a few chapters the combat really picks up. My problem is the rest of the game is really hit or miss, some things I loved and other parts bored me. The writing especially was pretty bland and you spend a lot of time talking to NPCs. Thankfully the combat was fun enough to keep me going, and the extra chapter you get after beating the story is entirely combat focused and really fun.

Just came out from Nintendo's financials though the game sold a million copies. I am honestly shocked but also really happy about it, hope we get a sequel that can work on the weaker aspects of the game.

I've been burned by too many Kickstarters.  I'll just wait for the retail release of Wonderful 101 and get whatever bonus it has that Kickstarters don't get.

bread's done
Back