Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I went ahead and cancelled my Amazon order a few weeks ago and stuck with Best Buy. Remastered Collection arrived in great condition, and I'm notoriously picky about the condition of my items. Now I just need to find a steelbook for Kiwami 2 for less than $60. Really regret not grabbing it when it was $15 around Black Friday.

Their CS these days is a joke, as well.
One of the few companies where I ended up cursing out a CS rep was with Amazon. Guy knew he was in the wrong, kept feeding me a pre-scripted line, and refused to put his manager/supervisor on the phone. I remember when Amazon didn't outsource their CS and the reps were actually helpful or, at the least, spoke coherent English.

Another problem is if one CS rep claims one thing, you're damned if you need to follow up with the next rep and get them to honor what the previous said.

One of the few companies where I ended up cursing out a CS rep was with Amazon. Guy knew he was in the wrong, kept feeding me a pre-scripted line, and refused to put his manager/supervisor on the phone. I remember when Amazon didn't outsource their CS and the reps were actually helpful or, at the least, spoke coherent English.

Another problem is if one CS rep claims one thing, you're damned if you need to follow up with the next rep and get them to honor what the previous said.
Well, since they got rid of their "email" contact option, I only do chats now, as that gives you a record of the conversation, as a way to CMA! But I have come close to cursing reps out through the chat function, for the reasons stated,as they just don't seem to give a damn anymore.

I was hoping to pick up Yakuza Collection at my local walmart for $50, but none of the walmarts in my area have any.  Does it take a few weeks for less popular games to make it to the shelves or is it possible they won't sell this in store?

I was hoping to pick up Yakuza Collection at my local walmart for $50, but none of the walmarts in my area have any. Does it take a few weeks for less popular games to make it to the shelves or is it possible they won't sell this in store?
YMMV but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get any. That's the main reason I bought it online because I live in a small town and some times walmart/gamestop won't bother with a more niche game. I think my Walmart got like maybe 2 copies of Astral Chain when it came out, gamestop only got enough to cover preorders.

I was hoping to pick up Yakuza Collection at my local walmart for $50, but none of the walmarts in my area have any. Does it take a few weeks for less popular games to make it to the shelves or is it possible they won't sell this in store?
I live in a metro area with 10+ Wal-Marts and none of the stores here got any copies. It's just available via "Order online, pick up in store".

AFAIK it's not a limited edition so you can always wait for a price drop, but unless you still have GCU I don't think you can get it below MSRP right now.

I live in a metro area with 10+ Wal-Marts and none of the stores here got any copies. It's just available via "Order online, pick up in store".

AFAIK it's not a limited edition so you can always wait for a price drop, but unless you still have GCU I don't think you can get it below MSRP right now.
There will a regular edition so they won't be around forever.

https://smile.amazon.com/Yakuza-Remastered-Collection-PlayStation-4/dp/B07WNS15YQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=YQ76WQTXKEF8&keywords=yakuza%2Bremastered%2Bcollection&qid=1581578765&sprefix=yakuza%2B%2Caps%2C263&sr=8-3&th=1

I find it always takes about 4 days before games start showing up in stores. I think they get new releases in over the weekend and stock them on a separate schedule. So, check in Saturday, Sun, Mon with the Walmart app. It'll show when they get them.

I did this with Dragon Quest Builders 2 for switch. It release on a Thursday, I think, and I got it Saturday but not at my local Walmart but one about 45 miles from my house while I was out of town for other stuff. It took till Monday before my store stocked them.

^ I think that was a reference to that fact that there are two amazon listings.  The Day 1 listing is in stock.  The other one, to which 62t linked, does not not say Day 1 and will start shipping later.  So it's possible that will be the standard edition at some point despite the present use of the same product image.

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE - Opening Movie

English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrheLf0Ki0

Japanese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGsloLCpDfk

Had some time on my hands, so decided to do a quick little project, this time with my Switch games.

Whether you have a significant other to share this time with or not, just remember that you can always share in the love.

Hope everyone will have a great rest of your day.

The Switch is in the heart!

ppJoX5T.jpg

6aX80ha.jpg

9LZZMbO.jpg

Some bigger VN releases this Valentine's week.

First of all Mangagamer has a Vntine's sale going on with the blog post here (NSFW). Prices are also effective on Steam. Ask me if you want my opinion on them as I've played probably about 75% of them.

Mangagamer released Imouto Paradise 3. There is a slight 10% discount right now on their website (NSFW). I started playing it and it's not as well drawn as the previous games. Also I feel that maybe the sisters, at least the one I'm on the route for (Hiharu), are maybe a little too one note and somewhat annoying honestly. I seem to have a knack for picking worst girls first in these games. So far seems OK and it is a nukige, so don't expect too much story.

Their next game release is Funbag Fantasy: Sideboob Story 2 releasing on March 12th, 2020. I'm not sure i'm ready for this one yet, though I've gone through the previous ones and recommend them with Funbag Fantasy > Funbag Fantasy 2 > Sideboob Story 1. This game is a nukige too, but the stories of these tend to be pretty good, though I wasn't as fond of Sideboob Story 1. It became a bit repetitive other than the main story line. I will still buy to encourage these type of games to keep being localized, though I may not play on release.

Nekonyan released Senren*Banka as well. It should be on Steam and their own store. Also an 18+ patch is available for the Steam release. Also for me at least Senren*Banka is showing up on green man gaming for a 23% discount under their VIP section. I would recommend this route for more savings. Also 10% off on Steam and their store. I'm going to start playing this one today and will give first impressions likely tomorrow.

Nekonyan Store (NSFW)

Steam

green man gaming

18+ patch (NSFW)

qureate stealth released TroubleDays on Steam. This one is about an innocent succubus who the main character cohabitates with and I'm sure hilarity ensues. A generous 25% is offered the first week so buy this one quickly if you want it. Also has an 18+ patch. I may go for this but have too many VNs to play at the moment.

Steam

18+ patch (NSFW)

So, I Hear You Like Sadistic Women / Do S na Onee-san wa Suki Desu ka? was translated by mortalvyses. This is a nukige about a guy on a train and a woman seduces him and hands him a schedule for a train and I'm sure he goes on that train and gets some action.

VNDB (NSFW)

Also because it was released and very random Projecttheharlemblade released the translation for an old PC-98 VN called Harlem Blade ~The Greatest of All Time.~. It just may be the greatest of all time, but I'm not so sure. I may play someday, but that day isn't anytime soon.

VNDB (NSFW)

Translation Patch (NSFW)

Nekonyan released Senren*Banka as well. It should be on Steam and their own store. Also an 18+ patch is available for the Steam release. Also for me at least Senren*Banka is showing up on green man gaming for a 23% discount under their VIP section. I would recommend this route for more savings. Also 10% off on Steam and their store. I'm going to start playing this one today and will give first impressions likely tomorrow.

Nekonyan Store (NSFW)

Steam

green man gaming

18+ patch (NSFW)
I'm thinking of getting Senren Banka. It looks really highly reviewed and I have the ninja girl figure already.

Anyway, I got the Azur Lane crosswave LE on PC.

VzqPaBG.jpg

bokpM37.jpg

mnpxQBL.jpg

w2o7xa5.jpg

SF79kFr.jpg
MdfiGmn.jpg

Banner of the Maid, a chinese made srpg about the french revolution on steam got an english update on Feb 14th. It's got pretty nice art.

Also Daemon x Machina got a PC release earlier last week. Bummed I missed the preorder price. Looks like it performs a whole lot better on PC than it did on the switch.

:ps4: Trails of Cold Steel 3 is on sale for $30 at Best Buy ($24 with GCU).  Switch version not included in the sale.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-early-enrollment-edition-playstation-4/6329773.p?skuId=6329773

Amazon has price matched $30, with a couple of cheaper used Amazon Warehouse copies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07MWSVYFR/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07MWSVYFR/ref=sr_1_1?condition=used&s=warehouse-deals&keywords=cold+steel+3&qid=1581914638&sr=8-1&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

I believe this is the first time it has hit $30, usually it's around $40-45.  Not sure how low NISA games usually go, but Cold Steel 1 (XSEED) had a low enough quantity at Best Buy to get clearanced out before it could hit my normal buy price.  I had to end up begrudgingly paying $40 elsewhere later, so with dying breaths of my GCU I figure this is as good a spot as any to hedge a copy of this one for safety.

:ps4: Trails of Cold Steel 3 is on sale for $30 at Best Buy ($24 with GCU). Switch version not included in the sale.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-early-enrollment-edition-playstation-4/6329773.p?skuId=6329773

Amazon has price matched $30, with a couple of cheaper used Amazon Warehouse copies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07MWSVYFR/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07MWSVYFR/ref=sr_1_1?condition=used&s=warehouse-deals&keywords=cold+steel+3&qid=1581914638&sr=8-1&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

I believe this is the first time it has hit $30, usually it's around $40-45. Not sure how low NISA games usually go, but Cold Steel 1 (XSEED) had a low enough quantity at Best Buy to get clearanced out before it could hit my normal buy price. I had to end up begrudgingly paying $40 elsewhere later, so with dying breaths of my GCU I figured this is as good a spot as any to hedge a copy of this one for safety.
Should have just bought it at launch as they gave a preorder discount on both the ps3 and vita versions for cold steel 1. ps3 version was about 34$ and vita was cheaper than that and 10$ more each for the ce versions. I still kinda regret not picking up the ce for that price.

I thought you guys would be amused by this. I actually bought a "new" game expecting it to come opened but at least have the original stuff lol. I bought 2 copies to improve my chances, not only did they send me "1" copy, they sent this one. I don't know how it's even possible to have a company operate at this level of incompetence, it's comical. I bought some used shit from there b2g1 sale, scared to see what those look like.

GS-is-shit2.jpg

The exact same thing happened to me.  I bought a qty 2 of that game and only received one - just like that.  i guess that the employee from the store that shipped it didn't check to realize the box they gutted was empty.

Trying to explain what happened to the person answering the customer service line is like pulling teeth.  Been putting off trying again, but need to.

Senren*Banka first impressions after about 6-7 hours and am on a path now:

Honestly it's one of the better VNs I've played in a long while. I'm far from being done, but this one is a nice mix of comedy, romance, mystery, a bit of suspense and just a very interesting setting. The visuals are excellent. Characters have a few different outfits which is pretty nice. The music is kind of old school in it sounds like something that would played at temples or festivals or such. Voices are extremely well done with no character sounding annoying for sure. It takes a while to just get to the the character routes and then those take a bit to get going. There's a lot of reading and all, but it's all written very well. I'm having a lot of fun with this and it's well worth buying. I don't want to spoil anything, but all the characters seem to have some importance to the main story, so it should be fun to go through every route. I'll finish this route likely tomorrow.

I thought you guys would be amused by this. I actually bought a "new" game expecting it to come opened but at least have the original stuff lol. I bought 2 copies to improve my chances, not only did they send me "1" copy, they sent this one. I don't know how it's even possible to have a company operate at this level of incompetence, it's comical. I bought some used shit from there b2g1 sale, scared to see what those look like.

GS-is-shit2.jpg
The exact same thing happened to me. I bought a qty 2 of that game and only received one - just like that. i guess that the employee from the store that shipped it didn't check to realize the box they gutted was empty.

Trying to explain what happened to the person answering the customer service line is like pulling teeth. Been putting off trying again, but need to.
Wow they mess up but that is pretty bad.

GS-is-shit2.jpg
That's how it's been since at least the PS2 days. My preordered Ar Tonelico was opened. And my Knights in the Nightmare. It's pretty much why I stopped preordering from them even before GCU etc.

Edit: That, and the really stupid "you can't change where you pick up the game" BS. So hope you never move.

Got my psikyo bravo from BB today. Despite being in a bubble mailer it's actually in great condition, unlike my yakuza collection which had a bunch of banged up corners.

Got my psikyo bravo from BB today. Despite being in a bubble mailer it's actually in great condition, unlike my yakuza collection which had a bunch of banged up corners.
Yeah, mine was sent in a bubble mailer from BB as well but it arrived in great shape (probably has something to do with the build quality of the box NISA used).

Also got the Bayonetta/Vanquish steelbook from BB today and this one they sent in a box. Arrived flawless.

Platinum Games teases major announcement for February 27-due issue of Weekly Famitsu

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Nintendo Direct set for February 20

GS-is-shit2.jpg
If it's anything like my experience during their Christmas B2G2 free used games deal. You'll end up getting new sealed games instead.

Are the physical releases of Persona 4 Golden and Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (specifically, the asian english release) 'final', in that they don't prompt for the download of any patches?

I'm a recent PlayStation Vita owner with a small and digital collection of games for it. While the convenience is appreciated, memory card space is at a premium so I'm considering getting physical copies of some of the finest, and largest, games in its catalogue.

Oreshika (Asia) has a 1.01 patch. Changelog is Chinese so I have no idea what it's about.

Persona 4 Golden (USA) doesn't have any patches

Does anyone know if the Japanese release of Snack World for Switch ever received an update to add English support, now that a localization exists? I'd like to get it, but it irritates me that the Western released was censored.

Does anyone know if the Japanese release of Snack World for Switch ever received an update to add English support, now that a localization exists? I'd like to get it, but it irritates me that the Western released was censored.
I doubt it. I think it's mainly 2 outfit changes for the princess and those genie guys. It's not the worst honestly, but i'd rather just play the game since it's been a long wait since the 3DS version came out and the game looks pretty fun.

I doubt it. I think it's mainly 2 outfit changes for the princess and those genie guys. It's not the worst honestly, but i'd rather just play the game since it's been a long wait since the 3DS version came out and the game looks pretty fun.
Yeah, I know of those and some thinly veiled Trump references. It's definitely not the biggest deal, I'd just rather play a non-censored/less-censored version if possible. I figured it was a long shot, though.

Question about :ps4: Root Letter
(in the current psn sale for $9)

Is this the same base game as Root Letter Last Answer?  Or is last answer a sequel?  I know nothing about these but picked up :switch: Last Answer recently.  TIA

Has anyone tried KATANA KAMI: A Way of the Samurai Story and has thoughts on it? I'm curious but I've heard mixed reviews on it. Also Last Answer is pretty much an enhanced remake that adds some extra parts to the end I believe and also allows you to switch to the live action art at any time. So yeah it obsoletes the original Root Letter and is not worth getting if you own Last Answer.

I quite enjoyed the langrisser demo.  It's kinda how I wanted last remnant to be minus the mercs in last remnant being semi usable units vs these guys can only attack with no magic or anything.

Appreciate those who answered my previous q's regarding Root Letter: Last Answer.  Now finished the game.  Was short but one of the better VN experiences in recent memory.  Translation wasn't perfect and made some of the argument-building scenes frustrating.  Regardless, I particularly enjoyed how down-to-earth everything was while giving a flavor of a more rural community in Japan.  Was refreshing after previously playing an awful VN (world is ended).

Anyone have recommendations for or against two vn's in the current psn sale:  428: Shibuya Scramble or Worldend Syndrome?

Appreciate those who answered my previous q's regarding Root Letter: Last Answer. Now finished the game. Was short but one of the better VN experiences in recent memory. Translation wasn't perfect and made some of the argument-building scenes frustrating. Regardless, I particularly enjoyed how down-to-earth everything was while giving a flavor of a more rural community in Japan. Was refreshing after previously playing an awful VN (world is ended).

Anyone have recommendations for or against two vn's in the current psn sale: 428: Shibuya Scramble or Worldend Syndrome?
I highly recommend 428 it's one of the best VN I've played. Haven't played World End Syndrome but it looks interesting.

bread's done
Back