Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got Error Code: 2153-1540 for my switch. Am I fucked?
That could be caused by overheating. I know my switch runs pretty hot while docked. Do a hard shut down (hold power for a while? I’d have to check ) and then wait a few and boot it back up. If it can’t even start up, then yes you are screwed, and will probably need to send it to Nintendo.

That could be caused by overheating. I know my switch runs pretty hot while docked. Do a hard shut down (hold power for a while? I’d have to check ) and then wait a few and boot it back up. If it can’t even start up, then yes you are screwed, and will probably need to send it to Nintendo.
Yeah, I did that and the game starts up fine. I'd been playing it pretty much all day so I guess it did overheat. It's not even a demanding game though, it's Monster Boy. I really hope this is a one time thing because animal crossing is coming in soon. I've just laid off it for the rest of the night to give it some rest. Thanks for the help guys. If it becomes a persistent problem I'll probably just buy a new switch when I can. I don't really need a ps5 this year.

Anyways, How do you use Light points or whatever they're called in the Trials of Mana Demo? I know it doesn't really matter because once you get them the demo is basically over. But I'm trying to figure out how the menu's and everything work for when I do buy the game. I do recommend it going off the demo btw.

Yeah, I did that and the game starts up fine. I'd been playing it pretty much all day so I guess it did overheat. It's not even a demanding game though, it's Monster Boy. I really hope this is a one time thing because animal crossing is coming in soon. I've just laid off it for the rest of the night to give it some rest. Thanks for the help guys. If it becomes a persistent problem I'll probably just buy a new switch when I can. I don't really need a ps5 this year.
Yeah, the NS runs crazy hot in the dock, to the point it has warped consoles due to this fact. I would recommend to anyone here who plays in that mode most often, get a dock fan set up. You'll have to search and check reviews for a good one, but I've owned several over the years for consoles, and each one has worked great. I always planned to buy one for my son's NS, but he rarely plays docked, so I ended up not bothering to get one.

I had one for my OG PS3, my OG 360, and I have one currently on my 360 slim, and it works great, as it has a temp gauge, and the fan will turn on automatically when needed(which is normally after being on 5 mins). LOL I've mostly bought Nyko ones in the past, but their quality control can often be hit and miss, so that's why I say check reviews.

I have a switch from the second wave (about 1month after launch)... the fan comes on and it pushes some hot air through without issue.  It does a good job of cooling the switch and I've never had an issue.  I think the warping was an issue in manufacturing and some of it was present even at the time of purchase, though people didn't notice until someone pointed it out.  But certainly there were some issues but it wasn't wide spread like the RROD of the 360.

That said, I do use some compressed air every 6 months and make sure it doesn't get clogged up with dust.  I don't have any stickers on my system blocking the air intake or making the back of the system harder to let the heat out.  I keep my switch dock on a shelf in the open air and not tucked in a media cabinet or some other closed space where it would be more prone to over heat.  When taking my switch anywhere I do use a case for it, but before I zip it up I make sure the screen is off so it's not sitting there running for the few seconds with no air (as the intake vents get blocked in the case).  When playing portable, I don't rest the system in a way that would block the air intake on the back (like in bed at night, I don't lay it on the covers or something).

So, make sure you clean the vents and don't block them.  Make sure your dock is situated that the system can easily pull air in.  Remove any stickers applied to the back of the system.

Yeah, the NS runs crazy hot in the dock, to the point it has warped consoles due to this fact. I would recommend to anyone here who plays in that mode most often, get a dock fan set up. You'll have to search and check reviews for a good one, but I've owned several over the years for consoles, and each one has worked great. I always planned to buy one for my son's NS, but he rarely plays docked, so I ended up not bothering to get one.

I had one for my OG PS3, my OG 360, and I have one currently on my 360 slim, and it works great, as it has a temp gauge, and the fan will turn on automatically when needed(which is normally after being on 5 mins). LOL I've mostly bought Nyko ones in the past, but their quality control can often be hit and miss, so that's why I say check reviews.
I've never had good luck with those. But it's funny that no one seems to mention the switch just gets hot in general while playing whether docked or not. Easily the worst system put out from nintendo in quite a long time.

I've never had good luck with those. But it's funny that no one seems to mention the switch just gets hot in general while playing whether docked or not. Easily the worst system put out from nintendo in quite a long time.
Yeah, those fans are very hit and miss(as some reviews are pretty bad), but all of mine have been great, and ran up until I stopped using the consoles in question, or sold them. Yeah, the NS gets hot for sure, but way more within that dock, as just having it opened all over like most 3rd party offerings would have helped greatly. As having the sides up protect the screen I guess, but really offers no real benefit, and only stands to increase the heat.

I really think they should have gone with a clamshell design like the sp/ds/3ds lines as well. The top would mainly be for a cover and back stand obviously so it wouldn't be as useful as with the other handhelds but it would have been a better option than nothing. Maybe put storage in it as well.

Despite my wariness and lack of desire for a switch light I ended up buying one off amazon since they had the grey model for 159 through amazon warehouse and I figure I can give that as a gift to my mom with animal crossing as a mothers day/early xmas present. She loves the ds lite I got her and plays it regularly so I figure this would be a nice option for her though not as portable and doesn't have as good a battery.  

While I am thinking of it any suggestions for a car charger for the switch lite? I need to find one for her ds lite again since the one she had broke so any recs for that as well would be welcome.

Despite owning the ps4 CE, I was thinking about grabbing the pc release of Cold Steel III.  I've bought the last 3 pc releases in the series at launch just to support falcom and future localization work.  But currently nisa has the "launch discount"  :roll:  as a $78.90 bundle.  They're trying to do stuff like listing the "Symphony of Class VII Digital Soundtrack" and "Anthems of the Thors Branch Campus Digital Soundtrack Sampler" as separate content items.  This is massively misleading as all the sampler tracks are included in the Symphony soundtrack.  Get real, nisa.

I'm over here trying to finish Rune Factory 4 SE before selling off my console (stupid high demand here locally). Apparently the final endgame arc is triggered by a completely random town event. Blah.
Apparently they fixed the rng for the final arc in RF4 SE and made it guaranteed to trigger

https://www.reddit.com/r/runefactory/comments/fhz9j0/how_do_i_start_arc_3_in_rune_factory_4_special/

I got real lucky back on the 3ds version and had it trigger after a couple in-game weeks

Apparently they fixed the rng for the final arc in RF4 SE and made it guaranteed to trigger

https://www.reddit.com/r/runefactory/comments/fhz9j0/how_do_i_start_arc_3_in_rune_factory_4_special/

I got real lucky back on the 3ds version and had it trigger after a couple in-game weeks
I had to complete a couple random town events first, but yeah the final story arc triggered shortly afterward. Just finished it this evening. I guess all that's left for me to do in the game is the
endgame maze and the marraige / kid thing, but I might just come back to that later. Sadly I have to do like 3-4 random town events before I can put a ring on my elfgirl.

Going to finish the fan translation of Trials from Zero this week and then move straight to P5R, assuming my physical LE actually arrives next week.

I just beat Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I'd say it was pretty good. 8/10. I recommend it. I played it on the switch and, outside of my switch screwing up (which was no fault of the games), the game played well. It's kind of like Shantae, for reference

I just beat Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I'd say it was pretty good. 8/10. I recommend it. I played it on the switch and, outside of my switch screwing up (which was no fault of the games), the game played well. It's kind of like Shantae, for reference
You should try Wonderboy Dragon's Trap. It's basically what the game was based off of.

the launch / steelbook version of Persona 5 Royal is down to $49.94 on amz, likely matching wm's instore pricing.

comes with bonus bubble mailer damage.
Meh I will wait till they make the next port years down the road. I still haven't played vanilla. And from what I heard they didn't add enough to justify double dipping in the second version of 5 compared to p3p and a lesser extent golden. Now if they set it up in royal so that you only used points for the day when increasing your stats and such and not for s links that would be a major change that is very much needed.

gamestop has the buy 2 get 2 free sale going so I picked up what wasn't sold out that could apply for it. world of ff vanilla, dq world trees woe and the blight below, that shonen jump all stars game and penguin wars as filler. Nothing else was in stock that I wanted (deception 4, god wars, one piece new game and so on and what was in stock I already have like underwater ray romano mask of deception, digimon cyber sluts and grand kingdom via psn sales among others. I was almost tempted to pick up atelier firis and nelke since the former was 22 and the latter 18 but I still haven't played the arland and dusk trilogies besides Ayesha let alone the 5 on ps2.

It just seems like Mask of deception and truth have done nothing but drop further and further in price since I bought them when they went on sale on psn the first time for 12.50 each and then they have them in the gs sale just to throw more salt.

Meh I will wait till they make the next port years down the road. I still haven't played vanilla. And from what I heard they didn't add enough to justify double dipping in the second version of 5 compared to p3p and a lesser extent golden. Now if they set it up in royal so that you only used points for the day when increasing your stats and such and not for s links that would be a major change that is very much needed.

gamestop has the buy 2 get 2 free sale going so I picked up what wasn't sold out that could apply for it. world of ff vanilla, dq world trees woe and the blight below, that shonen jump all stars game and penguin wars as filler. Nothing else was in stock that I wanted (deception 4, god wars, one piece new game and so on and what was in stock I already have like underwater ray romano mask of deception, digimon cyber sluts and grand kingdom via psn sales among others. I was almost tempted to pick up atelier firis and nelke since the former was 22 and the latter 18 but I still haven't played the arland and dusk trilogies besides Ayesha let alone the 5 on ps2.

It just seems like Mask of deception and truth have done nothing but drop further and further in price since I bought them when they went on sale on psn the first time for 12.50 each and then they have them in the gs sale just to throw more salt.
I agree there is some risk for P5 price dropping. It is a remaster from Atlus, and recently they have been making enough. Catherine wasn't even on the PS4 like Persona 5 did, and it was fairly easy to find Catherine Steelbook or collector editions at a discount. I know i felt it as I paid full price and saw it for $25 on black friday. It is worth picking up though, they added more content then Golden did for P4. There's a whole new semester and new locations, in addtion to the new character and hookshot mechanics.

As for Utawarerumono, it is worth noting that the publisher is different for the prequel game (NIS instead of Atlus). Heck, you can't even pre-order this game on Amazon, which leads me to consider the possibility of a slightly limited run (I regret not picking up Ys VIII steelbook edition).

I just want a standard release copy of Xenoblade Chronicles DE.  The bundle with the artbook is nice, but I don't collect art books let alone ever look back at the few that I have.  Hopefully Walmart stocks the standard edition with that sweet $10 discount at launch.

Bravely Second is like Final Fantasy X-2.  Bravely Default II is like Final Fantasy 11.  Not exactly the perfect comparison but it's a new game completely.

Besides this demo there's also demos for Disaster Report 4 and Trails of Cold Steel III.  I hadn't noticed them before, but I don't follow the demo scene that closely.

???? I thought that already existed in Bravely Second. Is this a renamed port to the switch?
Think of Bravely Second as similar to Final Fantasy XIII-2 in that it referenced the world and characters from the first Bravely Default. Bravely Default 2 is like a new numbered Final Fantasy.

No, this is like a direct sequel of Bravely Default. Bravely Second is now sort of a red headed step child.
A new installment is fine, the naming makes sense as it's continuing on with BD's structure instead of a different project like octopath. Though I will say that I found Bravely Second to be a far superior overall game than Bravely Default. The last 50% of Bravely Default was an embarrassment.

A new installment is fine, the naming makes sense as it's continuing on with BD's structure instead of a different project like octopath. Though I will say that I found Bravely Second to be a far superior overall game than Bravely Default. The last 50% of Bravely Default was an embarrassment.
It really only was bad if you don't realize it's repeating and didn't try to break the loop. And most people would have stopped after breaking the loop anywhere in chapters 5-8. But the broad knowledge about the True Ending made it even worse. So I think the reason it was bad was cause of wide-spread knowledge of its secrets, and not because it was inherently bad.

Square Enix making confusingly named video games, woooooooow

Jokes aside I will say the main thing that shocked me from the trailer is the environments. Seeing the original announcement trailer with those chibi models they've been using since like FF3 remake got me a bit worried it was going to be a fairly ugly game, but, they seem to be doing a bit more. I like the look of it.

This Direct only existed to give the upcoming shareholders meeting something to chew on. Notice how the only significant game that got a date was xenoblade? Nintendo did that so they could say "we have this coming out this quarter." It'll tide them over until the June direct.

In the direct they said they wanted to focus on games that are coming out this year... Is the virus really making them worry that much about development and whether they can promise games will hit the 2020 mark? Because there are plenty of other nintendo games announced that have NO release dates. I was of the mind that zelda was this holiday, but now i'm thinking because of this virus it may be getting delayed. Also, the leaks were somewhat accurate. I'm thinking they changed the direct because of the virus, however, because they can't promise the release dates on some of those games that didn't show.

Nintendo is playing it close to the chest. We're going to have to wait until June (the proverbial E3 Direct) for a clearer picture on the big games for the switch this year. It's a shame, but I think the virus messed their development up.

And to add my opinion on the actual quality of the direct:

It was bad, just like the indie last week. There were very few new games shown and few announcements of new games, if that makes sense . most of it was remakes and ports of very old games. A lot of the games could have been put in the indie last week and it wouldn't have made a difference. And the animal crossing stuff we already knew from the animal crossing direct last month. Finishing off with pokemon was underwhelming. I have to say, Bravely default 2 is an extremely bland and boring game and even it didn't get an actual release date. There was very little to be excited for in this direct - especially if you've already played xenoblade chronicles. In fact, I was kind of pissed that they're adding new story material because now i HAVE to replay it, instead of playing a real sequel to shulk's story. And the Arms for smash? LOL

3/10 - It's hard to imagine a worse Direct.

Why does it matter what it's called? It's another Bravely game.
Probably cuz it's confusing. When I saw the announcement today I thought it meant a port from the 3DS. Because I thought Bravely Second = Bravely Default 2 lol

Or I'm just dumb. I think both

In the direct they said they wanted to focus on games that are coming out this year... Is the virus really making them worry that much about development and whether they can promise games will hit the 2020 mark? Because there are plenty of other nintendo games announced that have NO release dates. I was of the mind that zelda was this holiday, but now i'm thinking because of this virus it may be getting delayed. Also, the leaks were somewhat accurate. I'm thinking they changed the direct because of the virus, however, because they can't promise the release dates on some of those games that didn't show.
"N" stated awhile back their NS production was going to be affected by this, and I'll assume that's why these directs took so long, as they have to make choices behind the scenes in regards to business. Why would any company right now, put forward anything of quality, when most people may not have jobs in coming weeks or months? Look at the movies that came out the week before this broke, or during, they are now streaming instead, at a HUGE loss of profits. Many other movies now pushed back, as no one wants to spend 100 million on a movie, to release it and no one can go see it.

Those directs may have looked a lot different, if not for this virus, as what big name game could they release this holiday, when they may not have units to sell for playing them? I found both directs pretty underwhelming, but I can also see the "safeness" in what was shown, as nothing is "sure" at this moment, and that is never good for any business. The world may be shut down for the most part in the future, as there is just not enough bodies and supplies to fight this properly, and we have not seen the worst yet, and right now it's pretty damn bad!

As for thinking Zelda was happening this holiday..........................

giphy.gif

This was a Direct MINI not a big direct.  Honestly, I'm amped for XC Definitive Edition.  Go suck sand if you think this is a bad thing to highlight or not enough to carry the show on it's on.  One of the best RPG's that happens to be Nintendo exclusive is getting a massive overhaul and coming out soon.  Burnout Paradise is coming to the switch.  I don't care it's an old game, we have an anemic selection of car based arcade racing games... it'll be a nice pickup.  The additions to ring fit are welcomed by me as well.  We get a demo for Bravely Default 2 and Panzer Dragoon launched.  Overall, it was a pleasant surprise mini.  But it never matters at all, the same people always are soooo disappointed.

Considering the game was reusing many things from BOTW 1 I don't think it was too far beyond belief. Majoras Mask did the same and game out quickly.
Yeah, that's very true, but that "N" company is very different from the one of today, as when was the last time "N" used previous resources to make another game faster on the same system? Yeah, Majoras Mask of 20 years ago, and I guess Mario Galaxy 2 which was an almost identical game to the first for the most part, and it still took almost 3 years between titles.

Comparing a HUGE open world adventure of BotW to MM is apples to oranges at best, as these guys take generations to release a new Mario Kart each time around, with very little improvements to speak of. Another game at the level of BotW is years away from them showing the few minute clip before you even get a playable version. Bayonetta would be the best bet for this holiday, and I wouldn't be holding my breath for that, but who knows?

amazon just sent out an email forecasting possible delays with my P5R preorders.  Splendid.

I am however thankful that the two big releases I've been waiting on are already produced and mostly distributed.

This was a Direct MINI not a big direct. Honestly, I'm amped for XC Definitive Edition. Go suck sand if you think this is a bad thing to highlight or not enough to carry the show on it's on. One of the best RPG's that happens to be Nintendo exclusive is getting a massive overhaul and coming out soon. Burnout Paradise is coming to the switch. I don't care it's an old game, we have an anemic selection of car based arcade racing games... it'll be a nice pickup. The additions to ring fit are welcomed by me as well. We get a demo for Bravely Default 2 and Panzer Dragoon launched. Overall, it was a pleasant surprise mini. But it never matters at all, the same people always are soooo disappointed.
A mini turd is still a turd.

bread's done
Back