Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a bit. The main thing that annoys me is the box being a different size than CSIII's CE. The fact that it includes a legit soundtrack justifies the purchase for me, as it did for III.

Anyone know a way to nab 5 quick rewards points on nisa's store? (I'm 495/500 with the minimum redemption being 500.)
Pretty sure you have to buy something to get points. With the cheapest thing being a $5 downloadable guide to Grim Grimoire, you'd be spending $5 to get a $5 coupon.

Pretty sure you have to buy something to get points. With the cheapest thing being a $5 downloadable guide to Grim Grimoire, you'd be spending $5 to get a $5 coupon.
Figured that might be the case, thanks. Guess I'll just hope the $10 doesn't expire before I can order the Hajimari CE in two years or whatever.

Am I the only one who thinks $100 for that is a bit high? Maybe the cloth poster is really well-made, but I feel $80-$90 would have been more reasonable.
I mean yeah NISA stuff can be a little high. But no complaints here though. I'll take any sub-$100 CE that I want badly every day of the week. Especially one that's complete with a steelbook, cd soundtrack, and rigid collector's box (PERFECT), over any of that more expensive bullshit that all sorts of companies are hawking these days.

Unless it was an april fools thing by NIS America, Trails of Cold Steel IV is coming to the switch in 2021.  So it'll release first on PS4 and then next year on Switch.  Like DQ XI-S, I'll just wait on the switch if I can finally get back to the vita long enough to make progress in the first two games.

Unless it was an april fools thing by NIS America, Trails of Cold Steel IV is coming to the switch in 2021.
No fooling - this is correct. Will follow the same model as CSIII releasing on :ps4: in the fall (likely late october) and then :switch: in "spring" 2021. Though apparently nisa considers 6/30 to be spring.

Personally, I took one look at :switch: csIII footage and immediately knew it wasn't for me due to resolution and framerate.

Personally, I took one look at :switch: csIII footage and immediately knew it wasn't for me due to resolution and framerate.
I mainly play handheld these days as I turned my regular switch over to my kids for Animal Crossing and bought a Switch Lite for myself. So... that's a pretty big factor, though I expect like past AC games they will burn out in 6 months or so.

Side note, Walmart stores in some states are being asked to restrict the purchase of non-essentials to limit foot traffic and thus exposure to the virus. So, I went ahead and preordered the vanilla version of Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition at Amazon as a backup plan incase Walmart is locked down at launch. It's more than I was wanting to pay, but it's a title I wanted without question (which is pretty rare for me).

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for a standard edition of P5R. The way that Sega has been releasing things lately is really, really annoying for those of us that only buy standard case versions for consistency. 

Disaster Report 4 on PS4 looks to be tough to find. Amazon and Best Buy already sold out. Currently still available at Gamestop

If you want a niche game physically, especially if it's a Switch version, buy it early on. Production is already lower, so just say how much you want said game and buy it early if you want it. I went back and forth for Disaster Report 4, but I have P5R, FF7R and Trials of Mana in April games i'm likely playing alone, so I wont have time for it now or likely in months. Plus I have other backlog games and my own fallacy of falling for hard to beat rouge lite/like games.

am i imagining things or did they completely recast tae takemi in P5R?  she was my favorite confidant and it's throwing me off like Chie from P4G

am i imagining things or did they completely recast tae takemi in P5R? she was my favorite confidant and it's throwing me off like Chie from P4G
They did recast her but I can’t find anything official as to why, just a bunch of speculation from people on reddit

2 big VN translated releases this week.

Fist of all Nekonyan released Making*Lovers. There is an 18+ patch for the Steam version of the game and a launch discount of 10%. Looks like hearted so likely picking this one up. It's also on their own site and other places like Mangagamer.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Nekonyan store (NSFW) 

A fan translation of Majikoi A-3 was released from Maji Translations.

Link

It was in development so long that the Japanese office announced a Switch port before it even launched as a PS4 exclusive in the west. Atlus West/Sega had the rights to the PS4 version of Arc of Alchemist and they moved to digital after realizing it wasn't going to sell that well.  LRG could probably do unlimited Switch copies but they would be in breach of contract if they went with LRG for a PS4 version.

Ended up playing the demos for Trials of Mana, Disaster Report 4 and Trails of Cold Steel III on switch.  Disaster Report 4 was pretty engaging.  I enjoyed running around and solving problems and working towards the next area once I realized how to run.  Cold Steel III I think is really well made.  They even let you read the background story content for the previous 2 games to get caught up.  But, I'm kind of tired of Turn Based RPG's except when it comes to Dragon Quest.  So, I decided to opt out of the Trails series all together.  Trials of Mana... it's solid, but I think I'm just going to stick with the Collection version for now.

Ended up preordering DR4 on Amazon.  So, I have that, Xenoblade Chronicles DE and Cat Quest Collection on preorder.

Did DR4 run OK on Switch handheld? Did you play docked?

Also random not but Making Lovers is pretty fun so far. It feels more light hearted and nice. Also has one of the shortest common routes I've read recently. I also like how the characters are somewhat older for once (still some young ones), so it feels differently than the usual school romances found in most of the VNs.

Finding it physically painful to see people on my psn friendlist playing FFVIIR.  I'm guessing they're eu/au region.. but for me it's another 8 days for my amz deluxe ed. to arrive

on a more positive note, I have to say my expectations of P5R have been exceeded so far in regard to new content.  Finished the first palace and they really have added bits of content and polish over nearly all parts of the game.

Finding it physically painful to see people on my psn friendlist playing FFVIIR. I'm guessing they're eu/au region.. but for me it's another 8 days for my amz deluxe ed. to arrive
I'm wonder if everyone on Amazon will get theirs... site shows both versions sold out. Reviews so far have been pretty solid, with most of the negative ones saying that newly added parts aren't great.

Finding it physically painful to see people on my psn friendlist playing FFVIIR. I'm guessing they're eu/au region.. but for me it's another 8 days for my amz deluxe ed. to arrive

on a more positive note, I have to say my expectations of P5R have been exceeded so far in regard to new content. Finished the first palace and they really have added bits of content and polish over nearly all parts of the game.
I'm wonder if everyone on Amazon will get theirs... site shows both versions sold out. Reviews so far have been pretty solid, with most of the negative ones saying that newly added parts aren't great.
Sorry to rub it in somewhat, but I'm so glad I never got around to canceling my Best Buy preorder of the Deluxe Edition with GCU. Best Buy still shows a 4/10 release/delivery date for that, so they just might salvage Easter weekend for me.

on a more positive note, I have to say my expectations of P5R have been exceeded so far in regard to new content. Finished the first palace and they really have added bits of content and polish over nearly all parts of the game.
I hear ya. The hype really got amped up by the overwhelmingly positive response. I'm waiting for a PC or PS5 release, as that game is being very held back on a technical level, so my wait is even longer lol. I'm just glad that SE didn't screw this one up.

I hear ya. The hype really got amped up by the overwhelmingly positive response. I'm waiting for a PC or PS5 release, as that game is being very held back on a technical level, so my wait is even longer lol. I'm just glad that SE didn't screw this one up.
I'm waiting for a more clear, definitive response as to how all of these new release games are going to be handled on the PS5.

Cerny has come out and said that Sony's own games are going to give you any upgraded versions, but that it's going to be up to the individual publishers on whether or not they want to include graphical improvements like higher framerates and higher resolutions when you put a PS4 disc inside of a PS5. This issue really needs to be addressed. It halted almost all of my AAA purchasing on PS4 last year.

Death Stranding is a perfect example. Tell me how that, The Last of Us, and Ghosts of Tsushima are going to play on the new machine. Bc people are going to be asdf'ing pissed, and rightfully so, if there are new PS5 discs being sold without the old versions getting automatically upgraded like they do on Xbox. Xbox gives you the best version of the game, period.

I'm pretty worried about Sony fumbling this, actually. Bc given any chance, publishers will always choose to sell their games one additional new time on a new platform.

I'm personally just buying the $56 deluxe edition for the collectibles and then will just sell the disc when I'm done.  Will probably look to a pc version as the one I'll own long-term.

I am more likely now when beating games to sell them immediately or donate them if they're not worth much (usually my sister gets these). I'm just not as much for replaying games these days unless they're like a rogue lite (like Slay the Spire) or an arcade like game like Smash TV. I feel I wont really replay RPGs (though I intend to go through FF games again, but it's been many years since I've played some of them). I remember when I was younger I would replay Link to the Past or Earthbound every month or so. Good times.

I am more likely now when beating games to sell them immediately or donate them if they're not worth much (usually my sister gets these). I'm just not as much for replaying games these days unless they're like a rogue lite (like Slay the Spire) or an arcade like game like Smash TV. I feel I wont really replay RPGs (though I intend to go through FF games again, but it's been many years since I've played some of them). I remember when I was younger I would replay Link to the Past or Earthbound every month or so. Good times.
If my wife can hoard old movie ticket stubs, I feel justified in keeping old video games that I will never play again. Or a first time; but now that I mostly buy three games at twenty each instead of one at sixty, it’s basically the same expenses.

Did DR4 run OK on Switch handheld? Did you play docked?
My kids are playing animal crossing on my regular og switch so I bought a switch lite a couple days before AC came out. It played perfectly fine on the lite. If you have a switch just download the demo and play it. Seems like the lite would be the worst option so it should be good on the regular switch.

Just something to be aware of if you had interest in Disaster Report 4 on PS4:

Best Buy's page for the PS4 version showed "Coming Soon" until approximately 1am EST this morning, when it became available for ship-to-home and store pickup. 4-5 locations within 100 miles of me have a single copy in-stock. Amazon's page currently states it's "temporarily out of stock" and it releases today.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/disaster-report-4-summer-memories-playstation-4/6363238.p?skuId=6363238

I bit the bullet and bought a Best Buy copy with GCU. I have a soft spot for the Disaster Report series after enjoying Raw Danger on PS2 years ago far more than I should have.

I'm not one that really complains about things like framerate, but I tried the Disaster Report 4 demo on Switch and wow, the framerate is bad. I want to grab the PS4 version but $60 feels high for it.

I'm not one that really complains about things like framerate, but I tried the Disaster Report 4 demo on Switch and wow, the framerate is bad. I want to grab the PS4 version but $60 feels high for it.
These look like fine $25-$30 games to me. I couldn't bite the bullet either paying full price for them.

Yakuza Remastered Collection is $40 on Amazon right now (also supposedly on Bestbuy too).  This was what I was waiting on.  Yeah, I know, amazon shipping, but as long as it's intact and not beat up too bad... I'm cool with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRMP3R8

I don't have prime, so will have to wait for the slow free shipping.  But I'm in no rush.

These look like fine $25-$30 games to me. I couldn't bite the bullet either paying full price for them.
Not to say waiting isn't a good tactic, but Disaster Report 4 (PS4) is now store-pickup only at Best Buy.

Yakuza Remastered Collection is $40 on Amazon right now (also supposedly on Bestbuy too). This was what I was waiting on. Yeah, I know, amazon shipping, but as long as it's intact and not beat up too bad... I'm cool with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRMP3R8

I don't have prime, so will have to wait for the slow free shipping. But I'm in no rush.
In for one, hopefully not crushed too badly or at all!

Speaking of Disaster Report 4, if you plan on getting it at any point, don't forget to claim all the free content at these links:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA16017_00-DR4FADEBUNDLE000
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/UP1063-CUSA16017_00-DR4GAMEBUNDLE000/1?relationship=add-ons

"Epilogue - Part 2" is $7.99 by itself in the second link, but the first link has it within a free bundle that will only be free for 2 months.
Thanks for the notice. I decided to pass on DR4 because of poor reviews and price point, but I appreciate this and got the free dlc anyway. JIC.

I'm really enjoying the tweaks and quality of life improvements in P5R.  I just wish a reduction in frequency of "looking cooool joker!!!" was one of them.

bread's done
Back