Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
so based on the unboxing videos I've seen of FFVIIR deluxe, it basically has a shrink wrapped standard edition inside - correct?  Does anyone know if it has the normal upc or one that's "not for resale"?

so based on the unboxing videos I've seen of FFVIIR deluxe, it basically has a shrink wrapped standard edition inside - correct? Does anyone know if it has the normal upc or one that's "not for resale"?
I got the CE which was two separate boxes - the figure + the deluxe edition, and mine says not for resale. It also had a cactuar summon materia voucher inside the case.

Galgun and Dead of School seems to be the only worth while picks, maybe white day as well. The other games I feel like I've seen them for under $5 and/or in other bundles.

I really like the Cloud theme, some neat particle/smoke effects, plays the battle theme, and most importantly for me is fairly dark. Lot of PS4 themes I really love but are crazy bright and feel like they're burning out my eyes so I don't use them.

I always try some different themes but I always default to my PS2 theme I think. I just love the sounds of it, and when you're not moving around (like waiting for a game to download), the background noise is very chill. I haven't quite found one I love more than it yet.

Speaking of Disaster Report 4, if you plan on getting it at any point, don't forget to claim all the free content at these links:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA16017_00-DR4FADEBUNDLE000

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/UP1063-CUSA16017_00-DR4GAMEBUNDLE000/1?relationship=add-ons

"Epilogue - Part 2" is $7.99 by itself in the second link, but the first link has it within a free bundle that will only be free for 2 months.
So, I have no idea what's going on here. Thanks to you, I "purchased" all of the free items and bundles. I just installed the disc and the 1.01 update. From the PS4, I cannot access any of these items whatsoever. It's not on the PSN store either (just 3 paid items). From the website, I see all the items as "purchased" but no download to PS4 option.

Update: from the web listing, I can "download to my PS4" (for Until It Becomes a Memory), on my PS4 I see it download about 18MB of stuff, then it fails with "Cannot Install"

All links NSFW.

First of all Mangagamer has a flash sale going on. A lot of their physical products are on sale. There is also a limited supply of digital games, which I believe are the same ones from their april 1st Jast/Mangagamer sale.

Mangagamer released Sakuranomori Dreamers. This is about a guy who can see ghosts and sees a former student who was murdered. I'm assuming this a mystery horror type game to figure out what happened to her. Looks pretty cool and I have my copy.

Their next game is Higurashi When They Cry Hou Ch. 8 coming out 05-14-2020. I know it's anticipated. Here is the Steam Link.

Or you could just go to sadpanda and not worry about this 500 random chapter bullcrap.
Yeah but you can't find their licensed stuff on the panda.

You guys don't have any recommendations on where to preorder sakura wars do you? There doesn't seem to be any particular benefits to any store, so I'm thinking amazon or target. I think target will fulfill the order faster.

My FFVII Digital deluxe won't get here until next week. Feels bad.

For Sakura Wars I think I have it coming from Best Buy. Mainly that's since I like getting points that eventually turn into dollars off. Pretty much anywhere major other than Amazon and you'll be OK. I'm surprised my FF7 Remake actually made release day shipping. I wouldn't expect that for Sakura Wars (doubt it would get it on release anyway even without what's going on).

Yeah, seems best to avoid Amazon for now if you really care about getting a game as fast as possible, totally understandable though. But yeah, bought a game that was prime shipping eligible last night and it says it won't get to me until May 2nd, so lol. I actually ended up cancelling my FF7 preorder because the estimated delivery date never updated despite the game being less than a week away, got a bit worried. Ordered from walmart and it made it here today no problem.

Some VN/Asia-English release news. These are new to me, though may be old news.

Yumeutsutsu Re:Master and sequel Yumeutsutsu Re:After will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop and PC via Steam on April 23. These are both Yuri games about a game development studio with Re:After being after stories for the original game. This also has an Asian-English physical release for the switch. The prices are bit higher, so the physical might be the way to go if you get it on Switch.

Gematsu
VNDB Master (NSFW)
VNDB After (NSFW)
Steam Master
Play-asia

The Fox Awaits Me is also releasing worldwide for the Switch April 16th. I believe it's the same developers as the ones who did My Girlfriend is a Mermaid. There is a JPN release that will have English subs as well.

VNDB (NSFW)
Play-asia

Yeah, seems best to avoid Amazon for now if you really care about getting a game as fast as possible, totally understandable though. But yeah, bought a game that was prime shipping eligible last night and it says it won't get to me until May 2nd, so lol. I actually ended up cancelling my FF7 preorder because the estimated delivery date never updated despite the game being less than a week away, got a bit worried. Ordered from walmart and it made it here today no problem.
My FFVII deluxe preorder from Amazon had originally said it would be delayed to the 14th and then it still showed up yesterday.

My FFVII deluxe preorder from Amazon had originally said it would be delayed to the 14th and then it still showed up yesterday.
That's why I said I worried, mine showed no date whatsoever, it just had whatever that phrase was like "we'll update this when we have more information" or whatever. Still said that even when I saw everyone else saying their date had been updated. This was around like Sunday so I didn't want to chance it.

I don't mind Amazon prioritizing essential supplies at all. What's weird to me, though, is that my FFVIIR Deluxe (that I ordered in August) is still delayed, but that stuff I ordered last week is arriving within days. Maybe the logistics issue is somewhere higher on the supply chain than Amazon for FFVIIR?

Yeah but you can't find their licensed stuff on the panda.

You guys don't have any recommendations on where to preorder sakura wars do you? There doesn't seem to be any particular benefits to any store, so I'm thinking amazon or target. I think target will fulfill the order faster.

My FFVII Digital deluxe won't get here until next week. Feels bad.
Thanks for reminding me about Sakura Wars. With how quickly some niche games are selling out at release I think I will preorder a copy. Will do it at BB since I still have GCU for another month and a half.

I'm glad to see Sakura Wars being released in the west again, but I'm so not sold on the new game. 

Maybe I should watch an episode or two of the anime and see if I like the characters. Anyone know if it's a good representation of the game?

I'm glad to see Sakura Wars being released in the west again, but I'm so not sold on the new game.

Maybe I should watch an episode or two of the anime and see if I like the characters. Anyone know if it's a good representation of the game?
The anime isn't that good, and the PS4 game has a new cast

The anime isn't that good, and the PS4 game has a new cast
The 2020 anime isn't the same cast?

I do remember the old anime not being great, if that's what you were thinking of and didn't know there is a new one.

Speaking of preorders, looks like Europe is getting the better version of the Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition Collector's set.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-27-xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-collectors-set-switch#section-2

American LE

BmjrrPZ.jpg

Europe LE

rx4bbBT.jpg

I wonder if they will block preorders from outside eu?  Funny that eu is getting the better version when they were the first to get the original game.

Nintendo of Europe always has superior CEs to Nintendo of America. No clue why, but it was that way throughout the 3DS/Wii U lifecycles and seems to have followed suit with the Switch. Lots of steelbooks and other goodies we haven't gotten.

More VN news:

First of all Mangagamer has 7 games 80% off for Easter Egg Hunt sale. It's not fun looking for the eggs. I recommend you go here (Reddit VN Forum NSFW) for the codes. I got one or two of them since these are likely the best prices they'll see.

Mangagamer also announced a new game Trinoline: Genesis. It's the fan disk for Trinoline and I never finished all the routes, so I should go do that before I play this whenever it releases.

VNDB (NSFW)

Mangagamer Blog (NSFW)

Sekai Project announced Kimagure Temptation by Silky's Plus. They are the same company behind the recently translated Nanairo Reincarnation. It's about a murder case where 4 people somewhere had their innards ripped out. The police are busy so they send a guy, and some demon comes to Japan wanting to explore Otaku culture and agrees to help him. Of course she is more interested in his lower half. It only has one heroine, but seems interesting. I'll get it likely years from now with how Sekai Project usually translates and gets games out.

VNDB (NSFW)

So my GCU expires in about a month, any idea what to preorder?  It is too bad the new Utawarerumono, Yakuza 7 and Persona 5 Scramble are not up.  Aside from Last of Us 2 and Ghost, I am looking at Tales of Arise (might cancel if there is a LE), Digimon Survive (are they really selling it for $60?), void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium (but BBY listing is not for LE)

So my GCU expires in about a month, any idea what to preorder? It is too bad the new Utawarerumono, Yakuza 7 and Persona 5 Scramble are not up. Aside from Last of Us 2 and Ghost, I am looking at Tales of Arise (might cancel if there is a LE), Digimon Survive (are they really selling it for $60?), void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium (but BBY listing is not for LE)
About a week before my GCU expired I just sorted it by release date and ordered anything I might have been interested in on PS4 and Switch. You can always cancel or return it if you forget.

Edit: If you card has fraud protection, you might get hit if you place too many orders at one time. So either be ready to deal with that or place one large order.

So my GCU expires in about a month, any idea what to preorder? It is too bad the new Utawarerumono, Yakuza 7 and Persona 5 Scramble are not up. Aside from Last of Us 2 and Ghost, I am looking at Tales of Arise (might cancel if there is a LE), Digimon Survive (are they really selling it for $60?), void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium (but BBY listing is not for LE)
Link for Utawarerumono

I'm guessing the BB listing for void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium is the LE as it is the same price as the LE and I think that all of the stock of that game will only be the LE version (as several of NISA's recent titles have been). Could be wrong, but that was the feeling I was getting when it was announced.

If you like NISA games you also may want to preorder the Prinny Switch re-release as that has a listing at BB too.

More VN news:

First of all Mangagamer has 7 games 80% off for Easter Egg Hunt sale. It's not fun looking for the eggs. I recommend you go here (Reddit VN Forum NSFW) for the codes. I got one or two of them since these are likely the best prices they'll see.

Mangagamer also announced a new game Trinoline: Genesis. It's the fan disk for Trinoline and I never finished all the routes, so I should go do that before I play this whenever it releases.

VNDB (NSFW)
Mangagamer Blog (NSFW)

Sekai Project announced Kimagure Temptation by Silky's Plus. They are the same company behind the recently translated Nanairo Reincarnation. It's about a murder case where 4 people somewhere had their innards ripped out. The police are busy so they send a guy, and some demon comes to Japan wanting to explore Otaku culture and agrees to help him. Of course she is more interested in his lower half. It only has one heroine, but seems interesting. I'll get it likely years from now with how Sekai Project usually translates and gets games out.

VNDB (NSFW)
If anyone interested in romance VNs hasn’t yet, I absolutely recommend using the Kindred Spirits 80% off code. It’s very well-written and funny, and Full Chorus comes with a bunch of drama CD shorts. (NOTE: It doesn’t include the original four drama CDs, you’d have to buy those separately.)

Finished tales of vesperia de and now I am playing underwater ray romano mask of decepticons. or as less commonly known Utawareumono mask of deception. I do wonder how autocorrect tries to make that pneumonia. 

Vesperia wise it was soso.  I prefer the original version still but the flynn and patty additions were nice to play with.  Probably the worst things about it were the changes to sidequest activations as many of them changed in this version so I never saw them.  Like the duke scenes as an example I got the first one for deidon hold but not the others.  I also never got yuris one costume for the vigilante sidequest, none of the other guild sidequests activated among other things.

I want to play Utawarerumano, but have waited long enough, so will wait for the first game in the series first (the one releasing in May) so I can get the story in order.

I want to play Utawarerumano, but have waited long enough, so will wait for the first game in the series first (the one releasing in May) so I can get the story in order.
You could have watched the anime and started with part 2. Some of the army scenes have aged poorly, but you can have the gist without playing. Only 9 hours of marathoning.

Yeah i need to give those a playthrough soon as well. What is the order anyway? The new one > deception > truth? does zan fit it somewhere or can i continue to ignore it?

Yeah i need to give those a playthrough soon as well. What is the order anyway? The new one > deception > truth? does zan fit it somewhere or can i continue to ignore it?
Prelude to the Fallen > Mask of Deception > Mask of Truth

Zan is just a musou game set in the series universe that has nothing to do with the story. Also because Prelude is translated by NISA so I can't comment on the quality of it, however the two Mask games localized by Atlus were terrific.

Prelude to the Fallen > Mask of Deception > Mask of Truth

Zan is just a musou game set in the series universe that has nothing to do with the story. Also because Prelude is translated to NISA, I can't comment on the quality of it but the two Mask games localized by Atlus were terrific.
Worst-case scenario, at least that progression means you'll be moving from the "worst" translation to the great ones.

I just finished the 4th map for underwater ray romano and trophy percentage is at 58%.  I wonder how far it will drop by the end.  So far the game is pretty interesting with action commands and a gale force like skill on all units so far.  The growth system reminds me a little of smt/persona's.  Equipment system is unique as I don't think I have played a game where units have different amounts of slots before.  The game prettymuch follows the anime almost point for point.  They censored the
decapitation
  but that's a given considering how taboo that is in japan.

GameStop “pro day” sale has Judgement at 30/25.
Catherine premium edition at 60; I probably wouldn’t get it from GameStop though.

bread's done
Back