Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The low prints coming from NISA lately has me considering picking up tomorrow's physical release of :switch: Cold Steel III (6/30) despite already owning superior versions. :whistle2:k
That’s how I feel about my Ys IX preorder. Still debating whether I should take the quality hit and go with the Switch version due to the lack of future availability in case I want the portability option.

Just to let everyone know Denpasoft/Mangagamer are having summer sales coinciding with the Steam Summer Sale. Sekai Project and other VN developers also are selling their stuff in the Steam Summer sale. If you are curious about any of these VNs post about it, as I've played a decent amount of them.

Denpasoft Sale through July 9th (NSFW)

Mangagamer Blog for sale through July 9th (NSFW)

Craving something lighter I'm going to likely play the Nekopara games next. I will likely give mini reviews.

Played a the demo for Langrisser I&II on switch over the past week several times.  Overall I really enjoyed it.  No permadeath (though deaths count towards which endings that specific character gets), each character gets to hire troops at the start of battle so there's some Advance Wars type cannon fodder, and then there's extra strategy in opting to keep your hired help in adjacent tiles for a little healing each round.  So formation tactics matter (which i enjoyed adjacent buffs in Wargroove).  It is a little involved with character upgrades, but no social stuff... just very lite rpg elements.

So, yesterday I tried to track down a copy after mulling it over for a few days.  One local Gamestop showed they had it available for curbside pick up.  It's sold out on Amazon for the ESRB/NA version and there's no BestBuy in my area... so I figured I'd put on a mask and venture into GS.  What a mistake.  I'm not one to hate on GS... I've bought plenty of games there and had some great transactions (typically on used games but also finding new/factory-sealed games that were well out of print and overpriced online but still retail in store).  One dude looks in the drawer for it... nope... it's not on the shelf either... then he mentions to another guy to see if it was checked out... which grossed me out completely.  I mean, I know this happens but to be so open in front of me about it.  Nah, I would have refused that copy as this was a full price release.  It's bad enough when they are display copies.  Another dude checked the back and then said it was on hold even though it wasn't on hold in their computer.   He offered to order me one online.. and even tried to sell me a code (which I said, no, I wanted physical.. I could just hit the eshop and buy it directly if I wanted digital) and I left.

Rather than waste my time with other GS stores that are slightly out of my area, I had already noticed BB still had it... so I just ordered it from them along with a few other games that had gotten cheap or were sold out elsewhere that I was wanting.  Really it is kind of interesting how many games BB had that were dropped in price but sold out on Amazon.

So... if you didn't get Langrisser 1&2 before... and want it... it is kind of getting hard to find.  BB was the only decent option.  GS was spotty with only a couple stores in my search area "possibly" having it.

Little Town Hero PS4 is sold out Best Buy, Amazon, and Gamestop.  Still available at NISA store but it would be another game to get

That’s how I feel about my Ys IX preorder. Still debating whether I should take the quality hit and go with the Switch version due to the lack of future availability in case I want the portability option.
Thanks for reminding me preorder this for PS4. Based on my experience picking up Y's VIII there is no point in hoping for a price drop to ever occur.

I would stick to Ys IX on the PS4 honestly mainly cause framerate in these action games is important. I noticed it when I was playing Trials of Mana on the Switch. While I got used to the OK usually 30 FPS framerate, I would have loved the 60 FPS instead.

Little Town Hero PS4 is sold out Best Buy, Amazon, and Gamestop. Still available at NISA store but it would be another game to get
I got LTH digital when it came out, because they said there wasn’t going to be a physical release. And then months later they announced a release. But it was too late ....

Played a the demo for Langrisser I&II on switch over the past week several times. Overall I really enjoyed it. No permadeath (though deaths count towards which endings that specific character gets), each character gets to hire troops at the start of battle so there's some Advance Wars type cannon fodder, and then there's extra strategy in opting to keep your hired help in adjacent tiles for a little healing each round. So formation tactics matter (which i enjoyed adjacent buffs in Wargroove). It is a little involved with character upgrades, but no social stuff... just very lite rpg elements.

So, yesterday I tried to track down a copy after mulling it over for a few days. One local Gamestop showed they had it available for curbside pick up. It's sold out on Amazon for the ESRB/NA version and there's no BestBuy in my area... so I figured I'd put on a mask and venture into GS. What a mistake. I'm not one to hate on GS... I've bought plenty of games there and had some great transactions (typically on used games but also finding new/factory-sealed games that were well out of print and overpriced online but still retail in store). One dude looks in the drawer for it... nope... it's not on the shelf either... then he mentions to another guy to see if it was checked out... which grossed me out completely. I mean, I know this happens but to be so open in front of me about it. Nah, I would have refused that copy as this was a full price release. It's bad enough when they are display copies. Another dude checked the back and then said it was on hold even though it wasn't on hold in their computer. He offered to order me one online.. and even tried to sell me a code (which I said, no, I wanted physical.. I could just hit the eshop and buy it directly if I wanted digital) and I left.

Rather than waste my time with other GS stores that are slightly out of my area, I had already noticed BB still had it... so I just ordered it from them along with a few other games that had gotten cheap or were sold out elsewhere that I was wanting. Really it is kind of interesting how many games BB had that were dropped in price but sold out on Amazon.

So... if you didn't get Langrisser 1&2 before... and want it... it is kind of getting hard to find. BB was the only decent option. GS was spotty with only a couple stores in my search area "possibly" having it.
The game also has more defensive styled gameplay minus the one fire map. The one big negative I have is you have to choose between movement or using an ability which is annoying since that would require moving other units to a space within range to heal as the healer can't be moved and heal in the same turn. Other than that issue it seems like a solid 2 pack of games. I'm pretty sure the ps4 version is still regularly available last I checked so you could always go that option and it should be slightly cheaper than the switch due to switch tax.

The huge positive the game has is that your hired units funnel exp into their boss you picked to have them work under. So it is much easier to level up a character.

I would stick to Ys IX on the PS4 honestly mainly cause framerate in these action games is important. I noticed it when I was playing Trials of Mana on the Switch. While I got used to the OK usually 30 FPS framerate, I would have loved the 60 FPS instead.
Given that the ps4 version had translation issues for Ys 8 I picked up the switch version instead. Though it varies by game whether it will have issues or not. Since 8 was multiplat for vita switch ps4 and pc I don't know how much playing it on the former 2 compared to the latter effects frame rate and such or how well it was optimized for each platform.

I'll probably pick up the ps4 version for 9 unless I can get the switch version for a reasonable price as I do like portability and since they are being developed together it shouldn't be similar to the situation for 8.

I got LTH digital when it came out, because they said there wasn’t going to be a physical release. And then months later they announced a release. But it was too late ....
This is becoming more and more common Arc of Alchemist and Earth Defense Force 5 are two other recent cases where I paid a premium for an import because "no physical is coming." I think companies are starting to catch on to the double-dip niche (and it seems like LRG discovered it a while ago).

Honestly it's just deterred me more and more from making any kind of digital purchase. I've purchased all of three games digitally this year. Imports are still an annoying tossup, though.

This is becoming more and more common Arc of Alchemist and Earth Defense Force 5 are two other recent cases where I paid a premium for an import because "no physical is coming." I think companies are starting to catch on to the double-dip niche (and it seems like LRG discovered it a while ago).

Honestly it's just deterred me more and more from making any kind of digital purchase. I've purchased all of three games digitally this year. Imports are still an annoying tossup, though.
WTF, why did I import EDF5 from Japan then.

Yeah this happened to me with steven universe save the light. Had I known it was going to get a physical release and discounted at that I would have just waited.

I rarely ever buy any digital games near launch.  If I love the franchise or am hotly anticipating the game, I can wait months to see if they decide to do a physical run or a decent digital sale.   I have plenty to play and there's no rarity in MOST digital games.  Usually it's not till years later when a license runs out on something (like Scott Pilgrim) that it's imperative to get that digital version or completely miss out.

I buy VNs all the time and a lot of times the sales off percentage is very low to be honest. I like supporting them and will usually play them a bit after release if not on release. I will very likely not buy some games  for sure until they hit lows. Arc of Alchemist may be terrible, but for $10 i'll take a chance. Never would have at $49.99 which it launched at.

Not Japanese but Untitled Goose Game is that game for me. I refuse to buy it digitally and I really want to play it.
It's free to play on Xbox Gamepass Ultimate on console right now, if you have that.

Buying 2 years of XBL Gold at Costco for $95, and converting it to 2 years of Gamepass Ultimate was one of the best gaming investments I've ever made. Just download and play all sorts of shit on both my PC and on my console. (there is a different lineup of games for each).

Think of it as a $4/month Netflix subscription.

Since June is coming to a close, here's all my pick-ups from the month.

Lots of games, lots of nendos, lots of fun abound.

One of my more well balanced months spread across the board.

7fxZO1v.jpg

w4UQvX8.jpg

LznSpsa.jpg

J2p1KGr.jpg

Someone has to, that's what triggers a US release. I did it with the past few EDF and Onechanbara games myself...
I was SO CLOSE to importing Senran Kagura Peach Ball because it really looked like it was never coming stateside, but didn't because I wanted to be able to understand the dialogue, then I think less than a week later XSEED announced the localization. Dodged a bullet.

200.gif

my pick-ups from the month
Free the imprisoned Mishy!

I bought more than usual in June.
Physical :ps4: Ryza, Sakura Wars, Trials of Mana, Prelude of the Fallen, DQ Builders 2, Ys Memories of Celceta
:xb1: MH World Icrborne Master Ed., Code Vein (let me know if anyone of you are playing these on XBL!)
:switch: XC Def. Works Set, Astral Chain, Layton's Mystery Journey Katrielle

And then a solid $75 of :switch: digital titles from the eshop sale (MX).

Free the imprisoned Mishy!

I bought more than usual in June.
Physical :ps4: Ryza, Sakura Wars, Trials of Mana, Prelude of the Fallen, DQ Builders 2
:xb1: MH World Icrborne Master Ed., Code Vein
:switch: Astral Chain

And then a solid $75 of :switch: digital titles from the eshop sale (MX).
I intend to do an unboxing at a later time for sure. ;D

Ah yes. The "Dialogue". That's what makes the SK games so special.

I was SO CLOSE to importing Senran Kagura Peach Ball because it really looked like it was never coming stateside, but didn't because I wanted to be able to understand the dialogue, then I think less than a week later XSEED announced the localization. Dodged a bullet.

200.gif

Since June is coming to a close, here's all my pick-ups from the month.

Lots of games, lots of nendos, lots of fun abound.

One of my more well balanced months spread across the board.
Nice spread and out of everything there I am jealous of the the Black Rock Shooter Figma. Anything from that series is hard to come by and usually commands a hefty tag that reflects said rarity.

Nice spread and out of everything there I am jealous of the the Black Rock Shooter Figma. Anything from that series is hard to come by and usually commands a hefty tag that reflects said rarity.
Yeah, the BRS figmas are all pretty amazing, too bad they're all so damn expensive, per the usual.

Even their nendos are expensive, otherwise I'd have more of their stuff. T___T

Decided to do another collection update.

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1278143726175399937

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1278144103427919873

Nice collection.

My purchases for June... all are switch releases as I mostly play portable...

• Burnout Paradise (love the series, never got around to playing this version because... again, I mostly play portable... walmart discount price)
  • Langrisser I&II (enjoyed the demo, glad I could snag a physical before it's gone from more stores)
  • Cytus Alpha (am a massive fan of the game on iphone... glad to have a physical version finally as this was getting rare)
  • Broken Sword 5 (been wanting to play it for a while, I am a fan of point and click... though don't go for all the games)
  • Neo Atlas (not well regarded but it was cheap and I have been interested in playing it since before it launched)

Total spent (taxes and all)... $199.30

I did buy a digital game for a few gold coins on eshop... but added no money to my eshop account.  Bought nothing on steam, psn, gog,... etc.

For me, this was easily the most I've spent on actual games in a single month in years.  All I have slated this month to buy is Cat Quest 2 (the collection)... assuming it drops before the end of the month.... and I might get Streets of Rage 4 once the retail version hits Walmart if it's discounted as expected.

Yikes langrisser is already out of print and goes for nearly 20 over msrp.  Guess I have to make a choice on either to get it slightly on sale at gamestop or pass. And or hope for a digital sale.

Yikes langrisser is already out of print and goes for nearly 20 over msrp. Guess I have to make a choice on either to get it slightly on sale at gamestop or pass. And or hope for a digital sale.
How do you know its out of print? I sold my copy from my CE assuming I could pick it up later for $20 new.

Gamestop dropped the price of Langrisser 1&2 for switch to $36.97. So expect any copies they have to dry up.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/games/products/langrisser-i-and-ii/11098897.html

How do you know its out of print? I sold my copy from my CE assuming I could pick it up later for $20 new.
Probably because Amazon sold out and hasn't restocked it or given any indication of future stock. I can't imagine they'd take the risk to print another batch either.

i suspect the days of niche games going on clearance are gone. The niche pubs are all doing smaller runs now. Pqube, NiSa, spikechun, ect games have all been gong out of stock and staying oop since 2019.

In June, I bought a bundle that happened to have GGXrdR in it. I already had GGXrdR2, though.

Yeah, that's about it in terms of thread-relevant stuff. Actually that's pretty close to it, period. There was also an iOS soulslike game... a couple replacement 3DS USB charging cables... and some food.

Pretty much the only ones getting dropped well with clearance prices are somewhat non niche companies like S-E and Atlus. Aksys stuff seems to go on clearance a bunch, but every now and then usually their otome games go OOP. NISA, Spike Chunsoft, PQube, IFI stuff usually clearances out only when the games just didn't sell well at all. Their print runs seem very low now. The digital prices drop a good amount, but the physical stuff may get a drop or two and that's it. XSeed i'm not sure about either, but most of their stuff has seen some price drops. Niche stuff has been generally getting niche prints though. Sucks for the prices, but that's just the way it is right now.

Played the original Langrisser games in the 90s, not impressed with 1-2 remake, Langrisser mobile was actually better tbh!

bread's done
Back