Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our World is Ended $9

A lot of these are games I own digitally, or have sealed LE's. So they're just play copies that were cheap enough to grab.
Does OWiE have any actual game play (999, Danga) or is it just a VN (SG)?

Also, I’m not seeing those prices, so I’m assuming you’ve included the Spend 100 get half off deal on them.

Does OWiE have any actual game play (999, Danga) or is it just a VN (SG)?
Also, I’m not seeing those prices, so I’m assuming you’ve included the Spend 100 get half off deal on them.
No gameplay as you describe, just dialogue options to pick your character of choice. Its not a very good VN, but threw it on for $9. And yes, flash sale promo. $50 order after discount.

Prices are good if you find 5 used games under $29.99 for that 50% off discount. Otherwise, not so much. No Alliance Alive HD used around me, so I gave up right there.

I finally finished Ys 8 and got the true ending.  Games waaay too long.  I feel like it could have been more around the 18-24 hours slot than 60+ like it was.  Got everyones s link maxed except shoebill. And that's mainly due to fishing rng so I never got whatever the last fish the bird wanted to eat to spawn which was like 8 spots from the bottom of the fish list.  4 issues I had were the game randomly crashing in the fog dino section, getting stuck inside vines and standing on my party members heads in baja tower and the camera like to wig the f out.  Especially during vine climbing sideways or fishing. Lastly was the clairvoyance dungeon in the catacombs with the platforms and barriers.  They screwed up on the one where there is no barrier or anything in front of you so you should be able to just jump straight across.  Apparently it was supposed to be a physical wall I guess or they messed up on the barrier and didn't code it.  As if there was a barrier then switching between forms should let you go through it.  I was able to jump smack dab into this invisible wall and somehow stay floating on the edge then went around the corner while switching forms in time to pass through the barrier but not fall through the platform barrier.  It reminded me of early ps1/64/ps2 platforming level stuff.

I haven't posted about visual novels in a while, so might as well now.

First of all Mangagamer released WanNyan ☆ à la mode! ~Which Girl Will You Choose? An Erotic Cat & Dog Café Experience!~Another cute nukige which likely isn't too long. There next game is Eternal Torment, which is about a girl who's immortal and stuck in a bad situation. There is a pre-order discount.

WanNyan (NSFW)

Eternal Torment (NSFW)

Nekonyan also recently released IxSHE Tell. It's about a guy who abolishes the dating ban in a school and then a bunch of girls want to get with him. It's dorky and power trippy in a way since everything deals with this guy. Good art, with a somewhat lame story, but I found it funny. Am through 2 routes and they're OK enough. There is an 18+ patch as well. I can give a full review once I'm done with the remaining 3 routes.

Steam

18+ patch (NSFW)

Loca-Love: My Commuting Crush has finally released on JAST USA store and FAKKU. This one was banned from Steam, so it took a while to come out.

JAST (NSFW)

FAKKU (NSFW)

Sekai Project/Denpasoft has released 9-nine-:Episode 3. There is an 18+ patch.

Steam

Denpasoft (NSFW)

18+ Patch (NSFW)

2 big fan translations have come out recently A Sky Full of Stars Fan Days and Kami no Rhapsody.

VNDB Sky (NSFW)

Sky Patch

VNDB Kami (NSFW)

Kami Patch

NISA has another reverse cover voting contest, this time for Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Voting here: https://nisamerica.com/ys-ix/reverse-cover-contest/index.php

Votes can be placed once per day until contest end.

Personally went with cover #2 since she's not on any other covers, although cover #1 was a close second, since they both offer a darker tone compared to the main cover.
I went with #1 since I gotta vote for my boy Adol. I thought the group shot in #3 looked a little too cluttered.

So hyped for this game :D/

I went with #1 since I gotta vote for my boy Adol. I thought the group shot in #3 looked a little too cluttered.

So hyped for this game :D/
I voted the same. As I thought when voting for Cold Steel IV's reverse art, if there's a group shot on the normal cover, another group shot is less necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifm8tpcO4vw
I for one am HYPED. I love Warriors games and Hyrule Warriors was one of the best ones ever made (along with Spirit of Sanada). Aonuma makes it clear this ISN'T the BotW sequel, so no need to worry there. I can't wait to see if there's any cool new characters in the game, and if they're mentioned in the sequel when that comes out. Such a great surprise this morning!

This isn't the botw "2nd game" we've been waiting for, right? hope not. :speaktothehand:
Correct, this is a side game. You don't need to play this to understand the plot of BotW2 since they already explained this story in BotW as is. This is just the chance to play through that story... though with knowing the outcome as depicted in BotW.

IMO, I had only a mild curiosity for the Warriors series before this... but being set in the world of BotW and having a lot more story element to it makes it something I 100% want to play.

Super excited to hear about a new Hyrule Warriors seeing as I sunk way too many hours into the first one on Wii U. Happy surprise for the holiday. 

Just beat DE Request 2 and got all three ending. Have to say it is one of my favorite Compile Heart games to date and there will most likely be a third one based on the EX ending. Now I just need to actually start Mary Skelter........

Super excited to hear about a new Hyrule Warriors seeing as I sunk way too many hours into the first one on Wii U. Happy surprise for the holiday.

Just beat DE Request 2 and got all three ending. Have to say it is one of my favorite Compile Heart games to date and there will most likely be a third one based on the EX ending. Now I just need to actually start Mary Skelter........
Oh cool, that's nice to hear. I just got the platinum in DerQ 1 yesterday and may start the sequel soon.

I for one am HYPED. I love Warriors games and Hyrule Warriors was one of the best ones ever made (along with Spirit of Sanada). Aonuma makes it clear this ISN'T the BotW sequel, so no need to worry there. I can't wait to see if there's any cool new characters in the game, and if they're mentioned in the sequel when that comes out. Such a great surprise this morning!
I'm hoping to see a good amount of new characters introduced for this game since they did mention Nintendo worked more closely with Koei Tecmo on it. I heard some speculate we'll see characters from BOTW 1 included (like Paya and Riju) in this game via some sort of time traveling concept, but I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather we just see new characters introduced and give them a story background that can also be referenced in BOTW 2. I am however expecting some BOTW characters who were around since before the Great Calamity to be playable characters like Impa, Purah, Robbie, and King Dorephan.

I'm hoping to see a good amount of new characters introduced for this game since they did mention Nintendo worked more closely with Koei Tecmo on it. I heard some speculate we'll see characters from BOTW 1 included (like Paya and Riju) in this game via some sort of time traveling concept, but I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather we just see new characters introduced and give them a story background that can also be referenced in BOTW 2. I am however expecting some BOTW characters who were around since before the Great Calamity to be playable characters like Impa, Purah, Robbie, and King Dorephan.
Yeah, I really wouldn't want a time travel scenario. This is a great opportunity to create some new characters (maybe some cool knight or Sheikah characters) and show off existing ones that were actually alive back then, like Impa. I'm especially hoping to see a plucky, li'l Sidon who maybe takes up the trident to defend his sister. It would be so cute :rofl:

As long as they don't try to fit them in to the story, I don't see a problem with having BotW 1 characters in it just to fight with.

Hopefully I can find the time to play this between sessions of cyberpunk lol

I like musous because they're very good "turn off your brain" games and Hyrule Warriors was a very good musou. Cautiously optimistic to see what they end up doing with this, and I really appreciate Nintendo announcing things launching in two months instead of Sony/MS announcing things years in advance.

1/2 orders from gamestop arrived.  Since Ys 8 came back in stock during the 30% off preowened with the purchase of a 30$ new game sale I decided to try my luck and purchased 2 copies for ns (ps4 was out of stock before I could get an order in) and the first one from florida came complete so YAY. Now I can throw my other one back into the wild.  Still waiting on the 2nd one from Vermont which is due tomorrow. 

And sold my copy of Ys 8 for 67$ 5 minutes after listing it.  Man people are thirsty for that game.

Anyone have a play-asia coupon? It might be worth just buying Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition from them since it isn't as overpriced as Ebay prices now. I should have bought it when it was $40 last year lol

Anyone have a play-asia coupon? It might be worth just buying Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition from them since it isn't as overpriced as Ebay prices now. I should have bought it when it was $40 last year lol
If you have the walmart app, open it and search for the game. Don't look at the price, open it and it'll show the price at your local store. My store had 2 copies according to the app... so I went yesterday and grabbed a copy for the walmart price ($50). They actually had 3 or 4 copies on the shelf. Still after my purchase the app reported 1 copy left available for order through the app.

If you have the walmart app, open it and search for the game. Don't look at the price, open it and it'll show the price at your local store. My store had 2 copies according to the app... so I went yesterday and grabbed a copy for the walmart price ($50). They actually had 3 or 4 copies on the shelf. Still after my purchase the app reported 1 copy left available for order through the app.
Thanks for the tip. I was able to place an order for pickup though it was the last copy so hoping it works out!

Woo I got a copy of Hyrule Warriors at Walmart. Thanks again!
Glad my experience chasing the game paid off for you too. It was good timing you posted about your search fails and considering PA as an alternative when you did.

I bought the 3DS version when it went cheap ages ago with the idea of playing it to decide if I wanted to go all in on the Switch version... but just never got around to it because the Switch took over my game time. It's nice it wasn't too late to still snag a new copy at $10 below retail.

NISA says 10% left for ToCS4 CE. I just can’t bring myself to justify the $100 price tag for it. Someone give me positive reinforcement before I crack.

NISA says 10% left for ToCS4 CE. I just can’t bring myself to justify the $100 price tag for it. Someone give me positive reinforcement before I crack.
You don't need all that junk. Just get the game over the holidays during a B2G1 sale. :)

I preordered it and I’m still not sure. $40 for a steel book, poster, 7 art cards, hardcover artbook, and soundtrack. Doesn’t sound too bad honestly.

I preordered it and I’m still not sure. $40 for a steel book, poster, 7 art cards, hardcover artbook, and soundtrack. Doesn’t sound too bad honestly.
Their cloth posters are high quality print too. I can’t wait to put up my CSIV one next to the Ys VIII one they made. I wish the Ys IX collector’s edition came with different extras. That’s one I had a hard time justifying spending $100 on even as a super fan of the series.

Don't be like me and sleep on a special edition you'll regret not having later. I passed on the Ys VIII collector's edition like a damn fool and that ended up being one of my favorite games of the year (and tied with Origin as my fave Ys). NISA collector's editions for good games (especially Falcom ones in recent years) tend to be RARE after release (good luck finding a secondhand Atelier Ryza collector's edition).

Yup, I put in an order last night for the ToCS4 CE on PS4.  I have all the others and wouldn't want to miss out on this one.  

I'm only ordering a couple of collector's editions per year now anyways. 

IFI announced Mary Skelter 2 for Switch will be getting a reprint with preorders starting the 15th for NA. Copies will also become available at Limited Run Games. I already have this digital but may get it anyway since I missed out on it the last few times it was in stock and do not feel like spending $100+ to snag a copy. 

Holding out a bit to see if Onechanbara gets a physical down the road... otherwise I'll import it. EDF5 is finally getting one!
Import what for Onechanbara? Even the Asia release is digital only, and the Japanese phyiscal release has no language support.

Import what for Onechanbara? Even the Asia release is digital only, and the Japanese phyiscal release has no language support.
Language support? People play it for the story?

I've imported the last few games in the series just to inevitably buy US copies when they get announced, same with EDF. This time I'm waiting...

NISA's having a publisher sale on Steam to coincide with the release of Disgaea 4 complete+.

There's a lot of stuff hitting their lowest price yet.

This is not an exhaustive list. I'm only listing the major titles.

A lot of their former vita titles are also at their lowest. Check the publisher sale for the full list.

Disgaea - $2.99(-80%)

Disgaea 2 - $3.99(-80%)

Disgaea 5 - $15.99(-60%)

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories - $35.99(-40%)
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk - $17.99(-40%)

Langrisser I & II - $29.99(-40%)
The Alliance Alive HD Remastered - $19.99(-50%)
The Caligula Effect: Overdose - $17.99(-40%)

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - $35.99(-40%)

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - $23.99(-40%)

If you want Disgaea 4 complete+ right now, everywhere has it at 25% off for the release week, but the cheapest place to get it is at GMG with their XP Offers which makes it 40% off($23.99). Make sure to click the Claim Offer button on the top right of the page to get the extra % off.

NISA's having a publisher sale on Steam to coincide with the release of Disgaea 4 complete+.

There's a lot of stuff hitting their lowest price yet.
This is not an exhaustive list. I'm only listing the major titles.
A lot of their former vita titles are also at their lowest. Check the publisher sale for the full list.
Disgaea - $2.99(-80%)
Disgaea 2 - $3.99(-80%)
Disgaea 5 - $15.99(-60%)

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories - $35.99(-40%)
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk - $17.99(-40%)

Langrisser I & II - $29.99(-40%)
The Alliance Alive HD Remastered - $19.99(-50%)

The Caligula Effect: Overdose - $17.99(-40%)

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - $35.99(-40%)Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - $23.99(-40%)

If you want Disgaea 4 complete+ right now, everywhere has it at 25% off for the release week, but the cheapest place to get it is at GMG with their XP Offers which makes it 40% off($23.99). Make sure to click the Claim Offer button on the top right of the page to get the extra % off.
They are also running a general console/anime/misc goods sale.
https://store.nisamerica.com/pax-online-sale
Notable item is Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 4 (plus some charms) for Switch for 75 (shipping included).

bread's done
Back