Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your February 2021 JRPG releases:
  • Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PS4, Switch)
  • Nioh Collection (PS5, PC)
  • Azur Lane Crosswave (Switch)
  • Persona 5 Strikers (PS4, PC, Switch)
  • Bravely Default II (Switch)
FYI, Y's IX is only releasing on PS4 this February. The Switch version has been delayed until at least April, maybe longer.

Of those games, definitely picking up at launch Bravely Default II (from BBY with preorder bonus), Persona 5 Strikers (also at BBY with steelbook) and Azur Lane Crosswave (from Target from the B2G1 sale last month).

Bravely Default II has a nice demo on the eshop in case anyone wanted to try it out.

FYI, Y's IX is only releasing on PS4 this February. The Switch version has been delayed until at least April, maybe longer.

Of those games, definitely picking up at launch Bravely Default II (from BBY with preorder bonus), Persona 5 Strikers (also at BBY with steelbook) and Azur Lane Crosswave (from Target from the B2G1 sale last month).

Bravely Default II has a nice demo on the eshop in case anyone wanted to try it out.
The BD2 demo stated that it can't carry over to the full game. I found that odd.

:hot:

atelier-ryza-2-idle-animation.gif

Make sure you're properly signed in. I get an error, then clicked on redeem code, which showed that I wasn't fully signed in. Keep doing that and signing in until it would let you enter a code. Then try to add it to your library.
Thanks, this worked for me

Yeah the PlayStation web store is a pain in the butt now. I feel like every time I browse a sale it just... won't show me prices for anything, until I log out and back in again.

Was extremely upset when I missed out on a physical Utawarerumono Prelude and saw eBay prices. Luckily Amazon Italy still had copies and imported it for only $70. I’ll take paying $4 extra! I can finally get to playing the series.

I can finally get to playing the series.
Yeah I waited to play them until I bought Prelude last year. Doing them in order really enhances your appreciation for the latter titles. Pretty happy to have grabbed all the physical games on ps4 (even zan).

Not everyone collects region free games from other territories they don't live in. IE: North America /NTSC copies are rare.
Calm down, chief.

If one wants to pay through the nose just to have an NTSC release, whether for collecting or not, go forth! I was merely pointing out that for those who actually open and play their games, and couldn't give two f@*^s about whether there is an ETSB rating on the outside of the box and disc, you can still readily pick it up. There is literally zero difference between EU region games and the ones here.

In fact, the EU tends to get better releases for physical releases than we do. WB Games' Shadow of War received a 2-disc treatment on PS4 there whereas in North America, an initial limited stock had 2 discs, but it was quickly replaced with a one-disc version.

Region free is a huge benefit as it opens up supply, but also can provide more variety for those who want physical releases. Sony has been very good about maintaining its region free approach with PS3 to PS4 and now PS5.

Glad to see Nintendo finally saw the light with the Switch.

There is literally zero difference between EU region games and the ones here.
You clearly haven't tried to use dlc associated with those games. Mandatory hoop-jumping with alternate psn accounts in other regions is a pretty substantial difference. I've done it on occasion, but prefer not to when I have options.

I hate hoop jumping through dlc though I ended up finally ordering Danganronpa Trilogy from shop4megastore since it is complete on disc and the US version is stupid expensive lol

You clearly haven't tried to use dlc associated with those games. Mandatory hoop-jumping with alternate psn accounts in other regions is a pretty substantial difference. I've done it on occasion, but prefer not to when I have options.
I don't support dlc and never will. It is important to do some research to know whether the game has any breaking bugs, though patches are not a problem for non-US games.

As for dlc, I get that can be an issue. Again, it's an option. I never buy dlc or digital games, so I'm looking at it as if you want a physical release and are not interested in paying inflated prices.

Yeah I waited to play them until I bought Prelude last year. Doing them in order really enhances your appreciation for the latter titles. Pretty happy to have grabbed all the physical games on ps4 (even zan).
I got Deception and Truth for Vita several years ago when they were converted to used at Gamestop, and I’ve been waiting since. Glad to hear the time waiting will be worth it!

I got Deception and Truth for Vita several years ago when they were converted to used at Gamestop, and I’ve been waiting since. Glad to hear the time waiting will be worth it!
For sure. Just be willing to be patient with really rough srpg combat in Prelude. It's worth sticking through.

If you're willing to put up with a terrible website and shipping, gamestop has "new" copies of Deathend request 2 for $29.99, which is the lowest I've seen.  The only other place I've seen stock recently is directly through IFI.  I think their holiday sale price was around $35.

Also, while $29.99 is $5 short of their free shipping threshold, there's another promo where buying a 29.99+ new game takes 30% off a used game, so you could find a used game for filler.  What I did was order 2 copies and got 50% off a first party nintendo game (used).

I wonder how low the print run is for Ys IX. It's already pickup only at Best Buy and who knows how long Amazon will have it in stock
it will be pretty low. I have all 4 Trails of Cold Steel launch Edition/Collector's Edition. All 4 Utawarerumono Launch Edition/Collector's Edition. Price of all this japanesse niche games are increasing on ebay.

I also noticed the archival edition of rune factory 4 special has already sold out. That was pretty fast, I don't think it ever went on sale either.
I'm not sure how or why, but Amazon has it back in stock (shipping in March):

https://www.amazon.com/Rune-Factory-Special-Archival-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07XSRRB8C/

I noticed that there is a crazy markup for this everywhere now, so if you missed it before, then this might be your last chance to get it for a decent price. Looks like there are only 7 copies available. Aaaaand it's gone, but it might be worth keeping an eye on it in case it comes back.

hmmm, maybe the archival edition will be getting the Ryza treatment. In that a second printing will happen but only small amounts will be trickling out for sale at a time.

I say this because I too randomly at night (different day than what you mention) saw it come back in stock but as a pre-order for a month in advance but I was half awake. When I woke up in the morning it was gone.

Someone on Reddit shared the Koei Tecmo support page, which I used to get my Ryza 2 pre-order DLC code. If anyone is still missing their code and their retailer of choice is giving them the runaround, send a help ticket right to KT. Just make sure to attach some kind of proof of purchase (online confirmation page or physical receipt), since people who didn't include that were told to go back to their retailer of choice for help. I did all this yesterday morning and got a response later that night.

https://support.gamecity.ne.jp/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360003167273

Best Buy updated the release date for the preorder bonus code to a week ago which released them for everyone who preordered.

So it doesn't require a purchase? It's so odd.
A lot of times companies will just make the DLC free to everyone for the first month of a game launch so they don't have to print out a bunch of code cards. There's methods to force owning the game (Medieval locking an item to playing a demo) but it's just easier that way.

I've already downloaded the summer fashions and that outfit isn't there...

The Ryza costume in that set is the sea-breeze blouse.

I don't know what the one in that image is called, but...

I'm pretty sure that's only in the digital deluxe. "The Digital Deluxe Edition is packaged with a code for the base game. Players will also receive the “Another Style” costume set with 21 outfits, “Summer Memories” costume set with 16 outfits..."

Is there a reason some people refuse to buy versions of games that are not NTSC? If they're for your collection and you don't plan on trading them in or selling them (and you can still sell them anyway so that doesn't matter) then why does it matter? Many of them even have the same cover, the literal only difference is the rating logo in most cases. People complain about DLC but it's doubtful they even buy DLC for those games. I've saved tons of money just buying the PEGI or Asian versions or whatever and hell, I like when they have weird different covers because it makes my collection feel unique.
Usually because of DLC, myself.

To a lesser extent, sometimes I like using credit or having an easier version to sell (or trade-in, if I want to go that route).

If I know I don't want any DLC, and it's the only physical version available but also in English I'll go for it sometimes.

YS IX must've had a really low print run.  GS and BB are already out of stock online & in stores, so Amazon(for now at least) maybe your only chance if you want a physical copy of the PS4 version anytime soon. 

Guess it makes sense stores still have PS4 version of Ys: Memories of Celceta in stock, as that was a Xseed release.  So that probably got a higher print run.  While the NISA titles(Ys 8 & 9) seems to have really low print runs.

YS IX must've had a really low print run. GS and BB are already out of stock online & in stores, so Amazon(for now at least) maybe your only chance if you want a physical copy of the PS4 version anytime soon.

Guess it makes sense stores still have PS4 version of Ys: Memories of Celceta in stock, as that was a Xseed release. So that probably got a higher print run. While the NISA titles(Ys 8 & 9) seems to have really low print runs.
Well that and celceta ps4 is more recent iirc. But since Ys 8 went out of stock so quickly people are likely buying 9 based on that and the resale value skyrocketed.

Well that and celceta ps4 is more recent iirc. But since Ys 8 went out of stock so quickly people are likely buying 9 based on that and the resale value skyrocketed.
They're in for a rude awakening. It'll get more print runs. Publishers need money and with Sony PS5 having component shortages the rest of the year, PS4 game sales will continue to play a big part of game maker revenue.

bread's done
Back