Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuffie DLC announced for FFVII Remake; however, it appears to be only available to people who upgrade to the PS5 version of the game (which is a shit move):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El_tG6PyHic

Also, Ever Crisis turned out to be a mobile game that will cover the entire FFVII Compilation. It actually looks pretty good, but I don't game on my phone so I'm hoping for a Switch port (like how they did with FFXV Pocket Edition):

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365070893014220801?s=20

And finally, First Soldier will be another mobile game, it's like a battle royale (would post video but I can't get it to embed properly, it's on Twitter).

Oof, I think I kinda hate all of those announcements.  Yuffie's supposed to mug me in a forest.  And why did they reuse Jessie's english VA?

Yuffie was a lame character anyway. Right up there with Vincent as the ones who would be dropped quickest from my FF7 party. Hopefully this will make her less annoying, though I haven't really played the FF7R past a few hours. Guess I'm waiting till June 10th to pick it up again.

If she doesn't meet the cast here, that could still happen in FF7R2.
Good point. I assumed that since she's in midgar she at least interacts with tifa/barret. But I hope you're right. Seems to me that the dlc is 0% actual remake, which does not bring me optimism about the quality.

If she doesn't meet the cast here, that could still happen in FF7R2.
The trailer implies that she knows the main party but not necessarily vice-versa. So it's possible that her "main game" intro could be similar to her introduction in the original game. There's more to read into in the trailer, but I know some people are sensitive to spoilers.

At least Squenix is making the upgrade free this time. After all of the KH rereleases, that was the biggest surprise of this Direct State of Play.

They -really- need to bring this to consoles.
I think the chances are pretty good that this'll be a FFXV Pocket Edition scenario, meaning once all the episodes release on mobile, they'll port the whole package to consoles. I'm honestly more interested in Ever Crisis than I am in the Yuffie Remake DLC.

Speaking of that, I'm a little surprised to see how many people around the internet are defending SE's decision to lock Episode Yuffie to the PS5. If we were talking about Remake part 2, I'd understand that. We all know that's going to be a PS5 exclusive. But, Episode Yuffie is DLC for a game that was made for the PS4. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect DLC for a PS4 game to be available on the PS4. SE can sit there in their stupid FAQ and say all they want that the Yuffie DLC was made for PS5, but my point still stands: why did you make DLC for a game that's not compatible with the console the game released on? That makes no sense and it's a slap in the face to early adopters of your game. The industry loves doing that, shitting on early adopters and loyal customers.

Rant over. Sigh.

I don't disagree that it sucks if the Yuffie story is PS5 only, but at least the game upgrade itself is free. I wouldn't bother if I had to pay $70 just to play her content. And yeah I know the bigger problem is that most people don't have a PS5 yet, but silver linings and all that.

Also yeah, no way Ever Crisis will stay mobile only. That thing is coming to every console when all the episodes are out. I really want to play it just to see the Before Crisis content. Doesn't matter how meaningless the story is or anything, it's just a game I have strong memories of being interested in when I was a teen but obviously had no way to play. The fact it's almost 20 years old and is finally going to have an official English version is wild. 

I think the chances are pretty good that this'll be a FFXV Pocket Edition scenario, meaning once all the episodes release on mobile, they'll port the whole package to consoles. I'm honestly more interested in Ever Crisis than I am in the Yuffie Remake DLC.

Speaking of that, I'm a little surprised to see how many people around the internet are defending SE's decision to lock Episode Yuffie to the PS5. If we were talking about Remake part 2, I'd understand that. We all know that's going to be a PS5 exclusive. But, Episode Yuffie is DLC for a game that was made for the PS4. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect DLC for a PS4 game to be available on the PS4. SE can sit there in their stupid FAQ and say all they want that the Yuffie DLC was made for PS5, but my point still stands: why did you make DLC for a game that's not compatible with the console the game released on? That makes no sense and it's a slap in the face to early adopters of your game. The industry loves doing that, shitting on early adopters and loyal customers.

Rant over. Sigh.
Yep and its why many people especially us around here just wait for price drops before picking a game up and or the goty complete final finished plus last encore re edition. It sucks for the early adopters/beta testers that buy the games at release but it is what it is and this has been a thing for 14 some odd years now.

ps4 wise yeah I could have just waited it out possibly and been patient vs just buying a new ps4 at full price and got a ps5 down the road years from now. But as the other comment mentioned the market is the way it is right now. Had it not been such a poor situation for the ps5 and sony discontinuing stock of the ps4 besides the slim I could have just gotten a ps4 cheap likely as they were discounting them to make room for the ps5. 

I could have picked up a used model slightly cheaper but that's a risk I'd rather not deal with for the peace of mind if nothing else and the discounts not being large enough to justify.

Since Caligula Effect 2 has been announced, Copies of the first game (at least on Switch) have gone up a good $15-20 on average. I'd get it while you can!

Has anybody else's Best Buy order for Bravely Default II shipped? Mine still says they're getting it ready and the release date is today.
I received my coaster and placemat yesterday and my game is out for delivery now. The game said it was getting ready from Tuesday until last night and then shipped. I’ve heard many reports of Best Buy dropping the ball on release date delivery over the past year. It definitely sucks though when you’re just waiting on it.

Just wanna say I’ve played the first couple levels of The Ninja Saviors now and so far it’s been as fun as I remember the original. Hardly a revolutionary beat em up, even back then, and it’s a little slow paced, but being able to put my system to sleep and come back to it later helps with that, and it looks and plays good. Haven’t unlocked the new characters yet, but it seems like they’ve added a bit more to the movesets of the originals? I don’t remember doing sword backflips with Kunoichi before.

Not sure why they felt the need to up the bust sizes, though, it’s not like these are the most titillating character designs.

TYq1Fu9.gif

Rant over. Sigh.
You're not wrong. I would imagine these decisions and deals were made when Sony expected to have plenty of PS5s out there.

And, well, it is Sony's imperative to sell new hardware to advance its console adoption as fast as possible, so deals like this with Squenix make perfect business sense.

Launch buyers always pay a premium to be part of the crowd when the game is being talked about. For those who value that, they pay the cost and bear the risk. This is not new.

I'm not saying you're view is wrong, but having a bitter aftertaste for buying at launch is nothing new. It's a value calculation folks need to make. I've long stopped buying games at launch. The premium (or risk, I suppose) isn't worth it to me.

I'm not saying you're view is wrong, but having a bitter aftertaste for buying at launch is nothing new. It's a value calculation folks need to make. I've long stopped buying games at launch. The premium (or risk, I suppose) isn't worth it to me.
Oh, I don't disagree, every gamer has to weigh the pros and cons of buying a game at launch vs. waiting for a discount. I just feel this is kind of an exceptionally egregious decision, because it's DLC that's incompatible on the system the game it's DLC for launched on. I expect graphical upgrades, faster load times, and better performance on the new system, and I even expect to have to pay for that. What I don't expect is locked content. Not standalone expansions or sequels that make sense being on the new console, but just plain old DLC that requires the base game to play, and it's not on the console the base game launched on!

I liked FFVIIR, but didn't love it, and Yuffie was never my favorite character (and it looks like she'll just end up being a generic, headstrong but flighty anime girl in the Remake), so I'm not totally devastated by this, but it just really rubs me the wrong way. Until I feel buying a PS5 is worth it for me, I might just watch the cutscenes online.

I liked FFVIIR, but didn't love it, and Yuffie was never my favorite character (and it looks like she'll just end up being a generic, headstrong but flighty anime girl in the Remake), so I'm not totally devastated by this, but it just really rubs me the wrong way.
Your description pretty much describes the original Yuffie. Well, + the klepto complex.

Same sentiments here, but I'm basically just going to play it on game pass / pc down the road. No plans to replace my million pro anytime soon with the launch ps5 monstrosity.

Has anybody else's Best Buy order for Bravely Default II shipped? Mine still says they're getting it ready and the release date is today.
Mine is supposed to be delivered today but I hate how all my deliveries now seem to happen after 5pm when I'm at work when they used to happen in the morning or early afternoon, when I am home. Probably should have scheduled a day off today to enjoy it for a few hours.

I received my coaster and placemat yesterday and my game is out for delivery now. The game said it was getting ready from Tuesday until last night and then shipped. I’ve heard many reports of Best Buy dropping the ball on release date delivery over the past year. It definitely sucks though when you’re just waiting on it.
Yeah I got my coaster and placemat yesterday and I just looked at my order now and it still says getting ready for shipment. I'm not that upset about it as I got Persona 5 Strikers earlier this week and I'm working through that first anyway, but if I was wanting to play over the weekend I'd be pretty pissed.

They -really- need to bring this to consoles.

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365070893014220801
I would honestly take this graphical style over the actual FFVII Remake. And I loved FF7R overall. If they gave this graphical treatment to FFVIII and IX, that would be awesome. It's just enough to give you that "this is how I remember the graphics" feeling. I feel like this is def Switch bound at the least- would rather it be PS4/5 but if NS only, I'd buy it.

Also, I guess I'll come out an say while I didn't really care for Yuffie.... I loved Vincent as a kid. He's where my CAG user ID originates from.LOL

Since Caligula Effect 2 has been announced, Copies of the first game (at least on Switch) have gone up a good $15-20 on average. I'd get it while you can!
I know I haven't played Caligula Effect 1, but I couldn't even remember if I own it. The cover has such a distinctive look that I know I've previously considered it, but I have no memory if I bought it or not. I concluded it must be not, so I also went looking around and agree with you the price seemed a bit high.

Yuffie DLC announced for FFVII Remake; however, it appears to be only available to people who upgrade to the PS5 version of the game (which is a shit move):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El_tG6PyHic

Also, Ever Crisis turned out to be a mobile game that will cover the entire FFVII Compilation. It actually looks pretty good, but I don't game on my phone so I'm hoping for a Switch port (like how they did with FFXV Pocket Edition):

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365070893014220801?s=20

And finally, First Soldier will be another mobile game, it's like a battle royale (would post video but I can't get it to embed properly, it's on Twitter).
FF7R was apparently leaked as a PS Plus game for March. But it says if you get it through PS Plus, that version will not be eligble for the Free PS5 upgrade. So I think even if I'm playing it on my PS5 that wouldn't be eligible for this Klepto Ninja DLC.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-26-final-fantasy-7-remake-headlines-march-playstation-plus-lineup

i ordered mine on wed and they shipped it overnight

came with the bonus inside

i expected something more for soem reason but the placemat is just a piece of paper folded up in a small square

I would honestly take this graphical style over the actual FFVII Remake. And I loved FF7R overall. If they gave this graphical treatment to FFVIII and IX, that would be awesome. It's just enough to give you that "this is how I remember the graphics" feeling. I feel like this is def Switch bound at the least- would rather it be PS4/5 but if NS only, I'd buy it.

Also, I guess I'll come out an say while I didn't really care for Yuffie.... I loved Vincent as a kid. He's where my CAG user ID originates from.LOL
and you can probably guess where mine came from LOL. Hoping to see FFVIIR on PC soon enough.

FF7R was apparently leaked as a PS Plus game for March. But it says if you get it through PS Plus, that version will not be eligble for the Free PS5 upgrade. So I think even if I'm playing it on my PS5 that wouldn't be eligible for this Klepto Ninja DLC.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-26-final-fantasy-7-remake-headlines-march-playstation-plus-lineup
I just can't imagine something like FFVIIR being a PS Plus title... what would have been a nice bonus is if they gave anyone who already bought FFVIIR near launch and has PS+ the Yuffie DLC for free (by tracking their trophies or something). Of course, as the DLC is PS5 only, not sure that would have been received well.

i ordered mine on wed and they shipped it overnight
came with the bonus inside

i expected something more for soem reason but the placemat is just a piece of paper folded up in a small square
Coaster set, not a placemat. Four small squares to put drinks on to protect your table. As if any gamer has a nice table worth protecting. My money is spent on shelves to hold all the games.

I didn’t open my BB envelope yet, so maybe I’m just spouting nonsense.

Man BD2 performs pretty badly. I'll still manage to have a good time with it, but what shame it doesn't run smoothly. It's the type of game that really ought to run like butter.

On the plus side the character models and job outfits look good to me.

edit: handheld mode seems to run more tolerably

I just can't imagine something like FFVIIR being a PS Plus title... what would have been a nice bonus is if they gave anyone who already bought FFVIIR near launch and has PS+ the Yuffie DLC for free (by tracking their trophies or something). Of course, as the DLC is PS5 only, not sure that would have been received well.
Welp, time for me to eat crow- FF7R is free for PS Plus March. I'm still in shock- but guess it makes sense it's PS4 only.

Also, seeing the PS5 upgrades... god damn, I want a PS5 now. It's crazy, FFVII looked good on my Pro but wow, seeing that at 60fps. I feel like my laptop could also handle PS5 esque graphics but really don't want to buy the game again.

Call me an elite or pompous or whatever, but I almost refuse to play a game when I learn there is a better version coming or has come out. I waited for Persona 5 R after I fell off my initial play through of 5. Touhou Genso got a newer version, so I waited for a good sale and just dumped my old copy. I also refuse to play Yakuza Like a Dragon and FF7R until their PS5 versions are out. I'm a bit weird that way, but really don't always see playing the original once I learn of newer versions like that. Same will happen to Nioh 2, which I never got, but will wait for a sale for the PS5 version. I will play games sometimes if they get remastered to see if I want said remaster. Every now and then it gets me enough enjoyment out of the game that I don't need the remaster anymore (Saints Row 3 most recently). I am glad PS5 is getting these and they will likely be the things peppering a possible weak and somewhat dry PS5 year. I will likely play Returnal, Ratchet and Clank and probably the martial arts game and Death Loop from the State of Play, but will wait to get them on release and after reading reviews because of $69.99 + tax games.

isnt nioh 2 a free ps5 upgrade

i grabbed it for $10 and got nioh 1 from ps+

dlc pass for 2 cost me like $12 on sale

seems way better than waiting for a sale on the $70 thing

Yep. You can usually find the PS4 version really cheap. If you wanna play it on PS5 that is the best way to go about it. You do still have to buy the PS4 season pass if you wanna play the dlc, but it's still cheaper doing that since it's already gone on sale once and obviously will again.

Though as mentioned a while back, base game isn't exactly hurting for content anyway. I am 118 hours played now on Nioh 2 and still don't own any of the dlc.

i grabbed it for $10 and got nioh 1 from ps+

dlc pass for 2 cost me like $12 on sale

seems way better than waiting for a sale on the $70 thing
With the $70 version you also get PS5 of Nioh 1, and there is no way to buy that individually.

With the $70 version you also get PS5 of Nioh 1, and there is no way to buy that individually.
that is so dumb lol

dont understand their line of thinking at all

i guess if i owned neither id way for this one to be a bargain bin title as well

Hmm? You can buy the PS5 version of each game on its own digitally, $50 for each or $70 for both. Physical it's just 1 ultimate package, but that makes sense to keep it all condensed as one ultimate package thing.

Coaster set, not a placemat. Four small squares to put drinks on to protect your table. As if any gamer has a nice table worth protecting. My money is spent on shelves to hold all the games.

I didn’t open my BB envelope yet, so maybe I’m just spouting nonsense.
It says right on the pre-order that it is a placemat and coaster set.

Call me an elite or pompous or whatever, but I almost refuse to play a game when I learn there is a better version coming or has come out. I waited for Persona 5 R after I fell off my initial play through of 5. Touhou Genso got a newer version, so I waited for a good sale and just dumped my old copy. I also refuse to play Yakuza Like a Dragon and FF7R until their PS5 versions are out. I'm a bit weird that way, but really don't always see playing the original once I learn of newer versions like that. Same will happen to Nioh 2, which I never got, but will wait for a sale for the PS5 version. I will play games sometimes if they get remastered to see if I want said remaster. Every now and then it gets me enough enjoyment out of the game that I don't need the remaster anymore (Saints Row 3 most recently). I am glad PS5 is getting these and they will likely be the things peppering a possible weak and somewhat dry PS5 year. I will likely play Returnal, Ratchet and Clank and probably the martial arts game and Death Loop from the State of Play, but will wait to get them on release and after reading reviews because of $69.99 + tax games.
There's nothing wrong with this- if you want to play something ASAP, you likely will but if you put it off for a bit, then what's the issue with waiting a bit longer for a superior version?

I will say, it's getting harder and harder to not want a PS5... luckily I couldn't find one if I wanted, otherwise I prob would have bought one.

Anyone know if Best Buy is still doing the Persona 5 Strkers Steelbook (for PS4 version)? Or is it up to whatever store's inventory is left?
From what I can tell they pulled it from the PS4’s page so I’m thinking that’s a sign that it’s down to store inventory. Especially considering there wasn’t even a PS4 steelbook originally announced it said it was exclusive to the Switch version and then well after the fact they went back and added it. I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a quality issue with getting it made or if they never planned on one to start with to try to entice players to buy the Switch version.

In games like personas case they've been doing the enhanced versions since 3 so 5 getting one was a given/inevitability.  I got both vanilla and r for 5 because I always play all the versions anyway for the various differences. Plus the second ones usually easier to max all the s links on vs the originals as they typically add more time to do so.

Anyone know if Best Buy is still doing the Persona 5 Strkers Steelbook (for PS4 version)? Or is it up to whatever store's inventory is left?
From what I heard, some stores have them out on shelves, but very few. But a lot of people got their steelbook canceled from their orders. It sells for upward to 150 on ebay atm :(

I feel like a lot of ps4 steelbooks are stuck in shipping like everything else right now. My store got the PS4 steelbooks in but not the Bravely coaster things and friend's store in another state was the opposite. 

From what I heard, some stores have them out on shelves, but very few. But a lot of people got their steelbook canceled from their orders. It sells for upward to 150 on ebay atm :(
wish i didnt read this
i only preordered the switch one cause i price matched walmart

it's fine with me. I went with the Switch version and steelbook at Best Buy. Don't really collect steelbooks in general, but it's Persona and I love the series. 

:xb1: Yakuza 7 steelbook ed. is under $24 on amz for the moment

I recently finished this.  Solid game despite some issues.  Namely, the plot didn't keep me engaged for the last 25%.  And it frequently triggers a pet peeve of mine (involving aoe battle attacks / effects while giving you no direct control over randomly moving party members)

There's also a 50% off 5+ used games promo on the gs website this week.  For now, this is stacking with the sale prices.  Some cheap options:
:ps4: Wonderful 101 remastered $7
:switch: Ni No Kuni 1 not-so-remastered $9

bread's done
Back