Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Atelier Ryza 2 is $50 at Amazon for both the PS4 and Switch versions. Not much of a discount but I'll take it.
also that price at best buy.

I have 5$ coupon but I'm not sure I will pull the trigger as it seems like it just comes back and forth in stock so I don't necessarily think it will go out of stock permanently.

I know they originally had one planned and then canceled it, and that you can free upgrade from the PS4 disc but I'm hoping a physical PS5 version for Ryza 2 comes along eventually

Neptunia reVerse LE available for preorder May 3rd! $84.99

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/neptunia-reverse-le/

3D_NPRV1_FULLSET_PS5-US__60274.1619449682.jpg

Apparently I just completely broke Ryza 2 by synthing a Four Spirits Amulet with a Polaris Essence.  At least this didn't happen until right before the final battle of the main story.  Still have postgame stuff to do though.  I splurged a bit on the Ultimate Edition at $70 on pc.  It was a good "comfort game" for me during an illness and is a categorical improvement in respect to the original Ryza. 8.5/10 - Recommended, especially on pc.

I haven't bought anything from gamestop in ages. If I buy online will it come sealed?

I asked best buy if they pricematch gamestop.com and they said yes, but they said the product numbers didn't match :/
I would say it is new enough where you will probably get a sealed one. Stores stopped gutting new titles awhile back but there are still a ton of games out there that are "new" with just a circle sticker sealing it.

You could return it to a store (or possibly exchange) if it arrives and isn't sealed, I suppose. I also haven't bought anything online from them in ages. Just don't remove that little sticker if it's a new, gutted copy if you plan to exchange as that's how they determine if you've opened the 'new' game.

Nah, I remember getting multiple "USED" copies of games from GS I bought as NEW, not even just gutted copies with the circular sticker on them they were strait up used, I went to a store to return them & got these scumbag teeny boppers who actually accused me of trying to return used games lol no matter how I explained it, to make things worse a couple of my packages from GS didn't even have a packing slip. I felt like beating the shit out of all of them. Ultimately they wouldn't do anything for me, basically told me there's nothing they can do because they wouldn't accept a return for used games sold as new even though they sent them to me that way all in a snarky superior minimum wage bottom feeder kind of way of course, I told them I can easily just chargeback the entire order if they want to be dicks about it and keep their games and my money, I'm at least trying to give them their games back.

You can't fix stupid though. Good luck with ANYTIHNG GameStop.

Damn that scares me cos I ordered the Prinny Switch Deluxe game which is supposed to be New, hope I won't face the same problems, but I will definitely return it if it's opened or damaged.

Nah, I remember getting multiple "USED" copies of games from GS I bought as NEW, not even just gutted copies with the circular sticker on them they were strait up used, I went to a store to return them & got these scumbag teeny boppers who actually accused me of trying to return used games lol no matter how I explained it, to make things worse a couple of my packages from GS didn't even have a packing slip. I felt like beating the shit out of all of them. Ultimately they wouldn't do anything for me, basically told me there's nothing they can do because they wouldn't accept a return for used games sold as new even though they sent them to me that way all in a snarky superior minimum wage bottom feeder kind of way of course, I told them I can easily just chargeback the entire order if they want to be dicks about it and keep their games and my money, I'm at least trying to give them their games back.

You can't fix stupid though. Good luck with ANYTIHNG GameStop.

Have any of you guys seen the prices on eBay for those old Atlus PSP releases? P1, 2, and P3P are fetching like $200 each. Had no idea the demand was this high for these releases. 

Have any of you guys seen the prices on eBay for those old Atlus PSP releases? P1, 2, and P3P are fetching like $200 each. Had no idea the demand was this high for these releases.
I regret not buying them each for $140 when I had the chance from my local game shop. Card declined but I had funds I could've used but didn't realize I could. Still kicking myself over it today

Seems like all sorts of game prices have gone a bit insane. Dreamcast games like Project Justice are now fetching $400+, and that's for used, open copies. Yikes.

I remember seeing stacks of those games at Best Buy and TRU for $10 when the Dreamcast was abandoned by gamers and Sega announced it was going 3rd party. Crazy.

Dear lord. I remember going into GS and picking up P2 and P3P for $20 a pop. P2 is complete too with the mini soundtrack. About 6-7 years ago I bought a bunch of games like that for $20 when GS was getting rid of them essentially. Guess the P2 and 3 worked out.

This is fairly typical for the used game market. Awareness and exposure help to drive demand. A series that was of only middling note back in the day will get fewer copies. But if later on, that same series manages to hit it big with some popular later entries, demand for the older titles will drastically increase.

There's no real way to anticipate this, sequels are not guaranteed, nor are their quality or popularity. You can't really know for sure which titles are going to blow up in that fashion.

Dear lord. I remember going into GS and picking up P2 and P3P for $20 a pop. P2 is complete too with the mini soundtrack. About 6-7 years ago I bought a bunch of games like that for $20 when GS was getting rid of them essentially. Guess the P2 and 3 worked out.
I regret never picking up P2 or Fate Extra for the PSP remember seeing them in GS back then

Out of curiosity, what are the best Musou games from the last couple generations? By which I mean 7th and 8th, since I don’t think there are any 9th gen exclusive titles yet. Including the licensed titles, but without taking fanservice into account overly much.

Out of curiosity, what are the best Musou games from the last couple generations? By which I mean 7th and 8th, since I don’t think there are any 9th gen exclusive titles yet. Including the licensed titles, but without taking fanservice into account overly much.
One Piece Pirate Warrior 4 and Hyrule Warriors.

Persona 5 Strikers, Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada, and Warriors All Stars.

P5 Strikers is fantastic but if you want a more traditional musou experience it's not great for that. Very much a Persona game first with lots and lots of dialogue/cutscenes and even when you're exploring dungeons most battles are over in a couple of seconds as long as you ambush the enemy. The big hundred+ enemy fights are only at specific story beats. Kinda the same deal with the Attack on Titan games, the second one is my personal favorite musou but it's not really traditional either as the combat is very different.

I hear lots of good things about Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Personally I enjoyed Samurai Warriors 4, but I'm not too familiar with the other versions- but I'd probably second the Spirit of Sanada recommendation.

Fire Emblem Warriors was fun, too.

Hands down for me it's Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. That game blended musou with Breath of the Wild perfectly. It felt like a mainline zelda game. I still need to play the original Hyrule Warriors, but I did buy the Ultimate version so I'm ready when the time comes.

Beyond that I think they are all pretty solid games, just pick one you like the theme on. I really liked the Dragon Quest Heroes I & II games. I have both the switch Jp version and the english ps4 versions. But that's mostly because I love the license so much. The gameplay is a bit more cut up and require loading mid-level (at least the parts I've played) which makes it feel more like an older gen title where as Age of Calamity had massive areas without any obvious loading to traverse the map.

Warriors Orochi ultimate 3 and 4 are solid entries. Pretty fun with silly stories.

And if it matters to you, the ultimate versions have all DLC on-disc.

Just checked through Best buy and The Great Ace Attorney preorder is now live (switch):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-nintendo-switch/6461581.p?skuId=6461581

Also live on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Ace-Attorney-Chronicles-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09341VH7D

I try to look every week day at BB to see what's new.  I sort everything by release date and trimmed to just physical releases so all the future releases come first.  I'm waiting for the last two shantae lrg games to pop up.  Not 100% sure yet if I'll buy them, but I know that'll be my last chance as the secondary market is crazy.

Just glad Great Ace getting a physical release but I wont buy it even within likely about within a year on release. Too far in my backlog, but I would need to play the originally trilogy first and then likely the 3DS two and then maybe this. Will still get when it goes cheaper though.

Too far in my backlog, but I would need to play the originally trilogy first and then likely the 3DS two and then maybe this.
Is it important storywise to have played the original trilogy first? Haven't played my 3ds trilogy yet either, but for some reason I didn't think they'd be particularly connected.

I don't think so honestly, as these are spinoffs I believe. It's more I should just play what I have first. If I do that hopefully the price will come down a bit, though the price is decent regardless.

Is it important storywise to have played the original trilogy first? Haven't played my 3ds trilogy yet either, but for some reason I didn't think they'd be particularly connected.
You should probably play at least the first game. I haven’t played the Great AA games yet, but every other AA game I’ve played has had references back to other stuff, and while these take place long before the rest, I get the feeling you’ll still run into things and people that will feel familiar from earlier games in the IP, so you’d get more out of it even if there’s no significant continuity you’d be missing out on (probably).

I just hate that The Great Ace Attorney is coming out on the same day as Neo TWEWY. Both are releases I never thought would exist and I want to support both but I hate buying multiple new games back to back since realistically one of them is not going to get played for a while.

Probably gonna do it anyway in this case though.

I just hate that The Great Ace Attorney is coming out on the same day as Neo TWEWY. Both are releases I never thought would exist and I want to support both but I hate buying multiple new games back to back since realistically one of them is not going to get played for a while.

Probably gonna do it anyway in this case though.
Probably wouldn't take too long to play through phoenix wright if that is any consolation.

I missed bitcoin, missed GME, but I won't miss the weeb cash train.
I would be careful selling those if I were you. I sold my PSP stuff years ago and I really regret it. I think I sold P3 for like $15 because that's all it was worth. Now if I want to rebuy it I'm SOL. Even at those prices I would keep them for the collection, especially in that condition...

Adorable VN Lilycle Rainbow Stage has hit a new all time low for $9.99.
Cuteness aside, story/characters any good in this? Hadn't heard of it. Looking at the steam page mainly informed me that the dialogue windows will make my eyes bleed.

Regardless, I appreciate sharing the find. I gained +1 to apathy earlier today when viewing 50% of my wishilist at "sale" prices I've seen before.

Cuteness aside, story/characters any good in this? Hadn't heard of it. Looking at the steam page mainly informed me that the dialogue windows will make my eyes bleed.

Regardless, I appreciate sharing the find. I gained +1 to apathy earlier today when viewing 50% of my wishilist at "sale" prices I've seen before.
I haven’t played it yet myself, but from what I’ve heard about it, it’s pure fluff—good fluff if you like that sort of thing (I do), but there’s nothing at all substantive, just sweet romance VN stuff.

pq1, devil survivor 1 overclocked and 2 record breaker, and soul hackers  are 9.99 ^  

pq2 is 19.99. 

picked up soul hackers and ds2.  

pq1, devil survivor 1 overclocked and 2 record breaker, and soul hackers are 9.99 ^
pq2 is 19.99.
picked up soul hackers and ds2.
SMTIV is $9.99, SMTIV Apocalypse is $14.99, SMT Strange Journey Redux is $19.99, and all the Etrian Odyssey 3DS games are on sale, as well, I’m not gonna look them all up.

Since we’re listing Atlus sales.

bread's done
Back