Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Crossposting from the Nintendo thread:

I haven't seen it mentioned and searched for it, but Culdcept for 3DS is on sale for $4.99. This is a cult hit often described as Magic: The Gathering meets Monopoly. The PS2 and Xbox 360 installments go for around $40 on eBay, so to get the latest installment for a fiver beggars belief. It is quite good if you're into card games - if you want to try out the game, the demo on Xbox 360 is still available.

RPG Maker is also great for $5, but that's not really a game. It is a great value if you want to tinker around with making your own game. The new versions on PC cost $80 when they first release, so if you're willing to devote some hours to making and playing your own game, it feels gratifying when you create your own stuff.

Should I buy Persona Q2 digitally?  On one hand, I don't think I'm ever going to actually open my PQ2 Premium Edition at this point.  And $20 on sale might be the best it gets before 3ds sales disappear.
Edit:  Guess I should add that I truly love the mainline persona games.

On the other hand, I'm having a hard time getting through PQ right now.  Near the end of the first dungeon.  Getting dragged down by the mandatory map drawing, the encounters, and the lack of music variety.  And I've actually heard from a few people that Q2 is inferior to Q.  That said, this dungeon crawler genre just might not be my cup of tea. I've only played 3-4 total and the only one I remember not feeling like a chore was Dungeon Travelers 2.

Don't buy it. It's a waste of money but more importantly, your time. You can't like every game. Playing a well-received game you personally don't enjoy always feels like a chore. I'm sure there are other games you can play that you know you'd enjoy.

The older you get the more you realize you shouldn't waste time on stuff you're not enjoying or it feels very average and such. No one has an unlimited time so yeah. I have a massive backlog, but I'm weeding it everyday. I don't add as much anymore.

May looks like a quiet month for JRPGs outside of SMT3:Nocturne HD Remaster.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Final Fantasy X/X-2 are also coming to Xbox Game Pass.

Should we import Ninja Gaiden Collection in June or risk waiting for a physical NTSC release?
Doesn't look like we're getting a physical NTSC release.

That said, not importing until we know for sure all the games are on the disc/cartridge. For the Switch, wouldn't be surprised if Tecmo can't fit all the games on a cartridge and makes players download 1 or 2 games (ala Capcom's Resident Evil Revelations).

The older you get the more you realize you shouldn't waste time on stuff you're not enjoying or it feels very average and such. No one has an unlimited time so yeah. I have a massive backlog, but I'm weeding it everyday. I don't add as much anymore.
This 100%. I'm 47, and I don't like wasting my time on games that just aren't a joy to play. Most recently that meant abandoning ship on Tales of Vesperia. I love the visuals, the characters, the story (especially all the side conversations), the voice work, .. and the overall world... but don't like the way you explore the map as it feels super linear and the battle system just isn't something I find fun. It was my last chance for the Tales series and I realize it's just not for me despite how much it does that I love.

I tend to only buy games when they are new if they are in series I'm a big fan of or I get a chance to play (usually demos) and determine it's worth it. I'll get the occasional game when it's cheap if it ticks enough boxes. Still, I'm buying very few games. I bought maybe one game in the last few months and that was a $5 3DS game that I knew I wanted. June and July though have a few games I will get (Mario golf & Zelda).

Agreed. Can't understate how much I value a game that just lets you play. 

If I hit those forced walk and talk sequences in AAA games I have an urge to just shut the game off lol.

The localized dialogue in the spinoff persona games I've played is just incredibly boring, unsubstantial filler.  Once the P4 characters arrived, they thankfully at least brought some humor with them.  

This 100%. I'm 47, and I don't like wasting my time on games that just aren't a joy to play. Most recently that meant abandoning ship on Tales of Vesperia. I love the visuals, the characters, the story (especially all the side conversations), the voice work, .. and the overall world... but don't like the way you explore the map as it feels super linear and the battle system just isn't something I find fun. It was my last chance for the Tales series and I realize it's just not for me despite how much it does that I love.
I tend to only buy games when they are new if they are in series I'm a big fan of or I get a chance to play (usually demos) and determine it's worth it. I'll get the occasional game when it's cheap if it ticks enough boxes. Still, I'm buying very few games. I bought maybe one game in the last few months and that was a $5 3DS game that I knew I wanted. June and July though have a few games I will get (Mario golf & Zelda).
Have you tried the demo for berserias? Can't hurt. I would have suggested doing that with vesperia had I known.

I'm looking forward to Disgaea 6.   That's the most excited I've been for a new JP release in awhile. (not a jrpg, but a JP srpg, technically)  But what are they thinking with the millions upon millions of stats and damage?  Things have gotten out of control.  Nobody likes massive stat inflation so I have no idea why they do this.  Hopefully they improve the hub and make the game more inviting and engaging overall. 

I really want 6 to be good but I'm pretty worried about the results after the lackluster entry of 5.  I don't understand why they think that people want this:

Disgaea-6-stats.jpg

So I'm not too sure about this one...

I have the Switch CE pre-ordered through NISA.  But I wish that it was available on Playstation.  Since that's where I have all of my other physical Disgaea titles. 

I agree on valuing your time. You have to be pretty defensive of it. There are so many interesting games and it can feel impulsively satisfying to get more. I have a few primary interests/genres that would easily take up all my free time (Neptunia, rhythm games, a handful of fanservice heavy titles). But if I lose sight of what I actually like playing I start to lose sight and think "Yeah, I like fighting games. Yeah, I like first person dungeon crawlers" but in reality they're just okay and I'd probably choose something else first. Yet, here I am- owning a lot of them.

I'm whittling down my backlog at a pace I consider aggressive from an evaluation standpoint, but pretty relaxed timewise.

Meaning, I'm not trying to rush or sell off everything I have that I don't want to play all at once. However, I am dropping games early and realizing I don't like certain genres as much as I thought I did. I'd really like to spend more time returning to games that are fun even if I've played them a bunch already, and maybe every now and then pick up a new RPG to go through. Having a mountain of them doesn't feel good at all.

I am selling off stuff I try and don't like, but pacing it out. Maybe just list a game or two a week. I know some people don't mind having a ton around, and consider it a 'good problem'. I don't think that's a bad approach, but I don't think it works well for me.

Basically I'm trying to whittle away at the problem, but prevent burnout from tackling any solutions too hard.

I'm also trying to skew maybe just a smidge more toward figures temporarily. They just sit there and look cool, no time investment needed and it's what a lot of my games are doing anyway... That's all it takes to enjoy them and I have some spaces to fill in. Once that spot is full who knows! Hobbies aren't supposed to have stress, what the heck!

But what are they thinking with the millions upon millions of stats and damage? Things have gotten out of control. Nobody likes massive stat inflation so I have no idea why they do this.
Part of it plays into the silly/irreverent nature of disgaea games. But I'm going to guess and say that screenshot reflects extensive postgame grinding and may not be what most players experience. The uncapped approach will appeal to some players, I'm sure.

I have the Switch CE pre-ordered through NISA. But I wish that it was available on Playstation. Since that's where I have all of my other physical Disgaea titles.
Another guess is that an eventual complete/+ version will come to consoles and pc.

Have you tried the demo for berserias? Can't hurt. I would have suggested doing that with vesperia had I known.
No, haven't tried Berserias. I've tried Symphonia (GC), Hearts R (Vita), and now Vesperia (Switch). I think I'm done with the series. I did grab Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) at some point on the cheap and never got around to it. I figured I'd give it another chance after selling off the GC version thinking maybe I just didn't give it enough time. I have plenty of others games to play so axing a series completely is actually a major positive for me. I love so much of what they do in these games... but just can't be bothered anymore. Vesperia though got a solid shake. I put around 30 hours into it.

Cuteness aside, story/characters any good in this? Hadn't heard of it. Looking at the steam page mainly informed me that the dialogue windows will make my eyes bleed.

Regardless, I appreciate sharing the find. I gained +1 to apathy earlier today when viewing 50% of my wishilist at "sale" prices I've seen before.
If you like cute romance stories, then its pretty good. There's a lot of different couples in the game, so there's a decent variety in the type of couples and how their romance develops etc. I recommend it if you want something relaxing and cute to read.

I haven’t played it yet myself, but from what I’ve heard about it, it’s pure fluff—good fluff if you like that sort of thing (I do), but there’s nothing at all substantive, just sweet romance VN stuff.
If you like cute romance stories, then its pretty good. There's a lot of different couples in the game, so there's a decent variety in the type of couples and how their romance develops etc. I recommend it if you want something relaxing and cute to read.
Thanks for the responses. Decided just to wishlist it for now. Might be in my cart for a future $5 off $30 sale prices if/when steam does another of those. Going to tackle some other VN's I own for now.

Has anyone attempted to play one of the existing fan translations of Chaos;Head? Thinking I might try to do that before Chaos;Child. Finally finished all the S;G spinoffs so I'm ready to move forward in these science adventure games.

..That being said reminder that the Neptunia reVerse LE is live today :p lol

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/neptunia-reverse-LE/

They aligned a restock of the Neptunia reVerse large mousepad with it too, it seems:

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/neptunia-reverse-mousepad/
It looks like they're still using G1 steelbooks/metalpaks, too. Yuck. On top of this already being a re-re-re-release it's an easy pass for me. Even by IFFY standards this feels super low effort.

No, haven't tried Berserias. I've tried Symphonia (GC), Hearts R (Vita), and now Vesperia (Switch). I think I'm done with the series. I did grab Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) at some point on the cheap and never got around to it. I figured I'd give it another chance after selling off the GC version thinking maybe I just didn't give it enough time. I have plenty of others games to play so axing a series completely is actually a major positive for me. I love so much of what they do in these games... but just can't be bothered anymore. Vesperia though got a solid shake. I put around 30 hours into it.
Tales is my favorite series, and the things that are typically notable about entries are the combat systems (Action RPG with hints of fighting game in its DNA) and the characters (occasionally tropey, but generally good development and enjoyable interactions). But the games aren't for everyone. Some people want more social elements (i.e. Persona), some people don't jive with the combat system.

That said, I don't think you should feel bad or guilty if you didn't enjoy them. Games are a subjective medium and everyone has different taste, plus like you mentioned there are plenty of other games out there.

Berseria plays differently than the other 3 you played so you may like it better. Larger dungeons due to them removing the world map that was in the 3 you played, around step, side step and quick step makes for more fluid dodging than back step in the others.

That said, I don't think you should feel bad or guilty if you didn't enjoy them. Games are a subjective medium and everyone has different taste, plus like you mentioned there are plenty of other games out there.
I don't feel bad that I don't click with a super popular (among those that love action rpg's) series. It just made for a good example of being older and realizing I can't play everything and I don't need to waste my time if a game isn't fully a joy to experience. Vesperia came so dang close.

Berseria plays differently than the other 3 you played so you may like it better. Larger dungeons due to them removing the world map that was in the 3 you played, around step, side step and quick step makes for more fluid dodging than back step in the others.
When I was researching the series, Vesperia was the one that ticked the most boxes. I prefer games with interesting overworlds to explore. Vesperia ended up feeling a bit too linear, as if there was nothing to find beyond following the main story.

I appreciate the attempt to help, but I'm good with just axing it from my list of followed series.

I don't feel bad that I don't click with a super popular (among those that love action rpg's) series. It just made for a good example of being older and realizing I can't play everything and I don't need to waste my time if a game isn't fully a joy to experience. Vesperia came so dang close.

When I was researching the series, Vesperia was the one that ticked the most boxes. I prefer games with interesting overworlds to explore. Vesperia ended up feeling a bit too linear, as if there was nothing to find beyond following the main story.
I appreciate the attempt to help, but I'm good with just axing it from my list of followed series.
Once you get the boat\airship the game opens up which happens later in part 2. So yeah it's relatively linear until then. I can definitely get that as I wasn't a fan of the linearity either.

But once the game opens up there's a lot of stuff to explore. The eastern and western plateaus, the little islands dotting the map, the aer krene dungeons which connect to more dungeon and a sword side quest, the moth in the forest from the start of the game among other little things.

It's funny everyone is talking about trying to reduce their buying habits and not waste time on games they don't enjoy, since I've taken a bit of a step back from game purchases (hence my absence from the thread) for two reasons: one, because my backlog is out of control and I really need to actually play the games I own, and two, because I've been getting back into manga collecting, and I only have so much money for all this stuff. I got New Pokemon Snap at launch because I knew I'd love that game (and I really do lol), but I'm trying to curb my gaming impulse buys and limit myself to just stuff I'll play right away (or, if it's a special edition I know will sell out right away). That means games like Mario Golf, the Skyward Sword remake, and Samurai Warriors 5 will still be stuff I pre-order, and those three games alone will keep me busy for a while.

I totally get trying to endure a game you don't enjoy because it's well-regarded or it's in a series you love, since I've done that many times. My husband jokes that I hate-play games (.hack//GU is a great example of this, since I really hated that game but played the whole thing because I love .hack) and I admit I can do that sometimes. I think we also do stuff like this because we paid for the game and don't want to feel like we wasted the money. But, life's just too damn short to waste it on stuff we don't enjoy.

Basically I'm trying to whittle away at the problem, but prevent burnout from tackling any solutions too hard.

I'm also trying to skew maybe just a smidge more toward figures temporarily. They just sit there and look cool, no time investment needed and it's what a lot of my games are doing anyway... That's all it takes to enjoy them and I have some spaces to fill in. Once that spot is full who knows! Hobbies aren't supposed to have stress, what the heck!
Yeah, that's why I've been gravitating more toward manga and Gunpla. I can buy a whole series of manga for the price of one or two full-priced games, read it over a few days or a week, and then put it on my shelf to admire. And with Gunpla, it's a fun little project for a few hours that I then put on display. But, money is of course limited, so I have to figure out what the best hobbies are to put my funds toward.

...having fun is hard work!

Should I buy Persona Q2 digitally? On one hand, I don't think I'm ever going to actually open my PQ2 Premium Edition at this point. And $20 on sale might be the best it gets before 3ds sales disappear.
Edit: Guess I should add that I truly love the mainline persona games.

On the other hand, I'm having a hard time getting through PQ right now. Near the end of the first dungeon. Getting dragged down by the mandatory map drawing, the encounters, and the lack of music variety. And I've actually heard from a few people that Q2 is inferior to Q. That said, this dungeon crawler genre just might not be my cup of tea. I've only played 3-4 total and the only one I remember not feeling like a chore was Dungeon Travelers 2.
I'm a HUGE Persona fan and I just couldn't get into Q and Q2. I kind of liked drawing the map, but the stories were boring, the random encounters were tedious, the amount of playable characters was too high (I never felt like anyone but the five people I chose for my party mattered in the gameplay), and the difficulty spikes were frustrating. I'm not a huge fan of first-person dungeon crawlers (even the ones I liked, such as Dungeon Travelers 2 and Mary Skelter, I didn't finish), so that definitely didn't help. I don't regret getting the special editions of both games, but I dropped both of them because I just wasn't having fun. So, my advice is this: Q2 is, in my opinion, a better game mechanically than Q, but if you weren't feeling Q, Q2 won't do much to change your mind. Plus, the lack of English voice acting really sucked (the Japanese cast does a good job, but I'm just used to hearing the English one).

When you have a backlog of games, anime, manga, gunpla, vinyl (haven't open to listen). I'll eventually start on Ryza.

Oh well. Back to grinding in FGO and Genshin.

I love being surprised by great packaging, especially when I'm not expecting anything special. I ordered R-Type Final 2 from Best Buy, and just got the regular version for $50. But as far as I can tell, it has just about everything the $85 LE has, minus the dog tag and the ship model. The outside is a sleeve which contains another box with great wraparound art, containing the game, soundtrack and art book inside.

The art book looks the same and this also comes with a soundtrack, although it's not in a jewel case like the LE version. But the packaging is really nice, can't complain! There's no game manual unfortunately... I kind of wish the art book was a bit smaller so it would fit in the game case. But not a big deal.

IMG-6511-Large.jpg

IMG-6512-Large.jpg

IMG-6513-Large.jpg

I returned the Persona Q2: Premium Edition to Amazon because I wasn't going to play it immediately, the box was a little smushed, and I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon bc I had just cleared the original.  Now it's selling for $370 lol...

I returned the Persona Q2: Premium Edition to Amazon because I wasn't going to play it immediately, the box was a little smushed, and I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon bc I had just cleared the original. Now it's selling for $370 lol...
I never thought I'd see some games recently so recently, go for this much. I only sell on eBay so I was able to trim down quite a few older extra/duplicate copies of games lying around but on the other hand, there are a few games I want that are going for substantially more that I ever expected and thought they would come down once the bonus unemployment ended last year (e.g., Ys VIII PS4, been searching for a copy since like late-Spring 2020). It's more baffling when the game is readily available digitally so I doubt it's anyone who just wants to play the game... though that's hypocritical of me to say since I'm strongly against/never buy digital.

I never thought I'd see some games recently so recently, go for this much. I only sell on eBay so I was able to trim down quite a few older extra/duplicate copies of games lying around but on the other hand, there are a few games I want that are going for substantially more that I ever expected and thought they would come down once the bonus unemployment ended last year (e.g., Ys VIII PS4, been searching for a copy since like late-Spring 2020). It's more baffling when the game is readily available digitally so I doubt it's anyone who just wants to play the game... though that's hypocritical of me to say since I'm strongly against/never buy digital.
Prettymuch your best bet is to frequently check gamestops page for it like I did and then nab it quick since resellers watch those pages like hawks everytime the stock checker fixes itself and works properly. You could also possibly search via google shop and see if any gamestops in your area have a copy since the online stock checker always reads as negative.

I had no idea Ys VIII was that high. I have the LE sitting around, so I may sell it. The steelbook is really pretty but I have no problem playing it digitally for that price delta.

Same for Persona 3 Portable.. Persona 3 is one of my favorite games, but I actually prefer the FES version and think I have a digitally purchased version of P3P anyway so.. I guess that can go too.

Who needs stocks!

Prettymuch your best bet is to frequently check gamestops page for it like I did and then nab it quick since resellers watch those pages like hawks everytime the stock checker fixes itself and works properly. You could also possibly search via google shop and see if any gamestops in your area have a copy since the online stock checker always reads as negative.
I've been doing that every morning because that's when I normally do some BS web browsing and I think that's when they update their inventory. I only found out recently that GS now updates their site more regularly. Should prob get in the habit of that.

Most old games don't even sell for that much, comparatively speaking. What's new and hot, or recently OOP, always trades for the most dollars overall. Hot recent release items and hot franchises sell for the most. Like Persona, Fire Emblem, or Zelda collector's editions.

I had no idea Ys VIII was that high. I have the LE sitting around, so I may sell it. The steelbook is really pretty but I have no problem playing it digitally for that price delta.

Same for Persona 3 Portable.. Persona 3 is one of my favorite games, but I actually prefer the FES version and think I have a digitally purchased version of P3P anyway so.. I guess that can go too.

Who needs stocks!
Holy crap, the last time I checked the ebay prices for Persona 3 Portable, it was like a hundred bucks. I have a complete copy, my PSP barely works anymore, and I have the game digitally on the Vita, but I'll probably never sell it unless I'm desperate. I like having the Persona games physically, even if I don't play them anymore (like not playing Persona 4 on PS2 anymore because I have Golden). And, I adored the FeMC route (I roleplayed her as like this really chipper girl who wanted to make friends and be personable, but deep down she was suffering and hid that from the others), so the original PSP copy is a great part of my gaming collection.

Most old games don't even sell for that much, comparatively speaking. What's new and hot, or recently OOP, always trades for the most dollars overall. Hot recent release items and hot franchises sell for the most. Like Persona, Fire Emblem, or Zelda collector's editions.
On that note I wasn't even aware that there were collectors editions for persona games until much later. I preordered the vanilla version of 3 before it came out after seeing a commercial on adult swim. Had I known there was I would have gotten one of them since at the time atlus didn't overcharge for the ce's and their regular editions came with extras like the hard cover art book and sound track sampler and outer box.

Or the Drakengard 3 CE which I totally haven't not opened because my PS3 died around the time I bought it, I'm not sitting on a $1000+ game, what are you even talking about?

What I don't understand is people that get WAYY too obsessive over ownership of certain things.   "I need xxxx thing because it's $300 now".   Well you didn't want it when it was $80 new, or $20 when it was in the used bargain bin at GS so...no, you don't.   Or else they get triggered by Ebay listings.   Like seriously, who cares?  People become way too attached to items just because they get this perception that something is worth a lot of money.   Like I can't believe that some people here didn't sell their Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 Vita Limited Editions as soon as they reached $600+.  Why wouldn't you.   Why become attached to something so silly, just because the dollar price went up?   Something is only worth as much as you can sell it for, and items don't remain hot forever.   I sold my Dark Souls trilogy hardcover compendium for 400 bucks on Amazon a couple months ago without a moments hesitation as soon as I saw what it was going for.   That will pay for an entire console or an entire year of brand new video games.   It's a no-brainer.  Anything seminal will get re-printed or remastered eventually anyways. 

There will always be more new interesting stuff to buy.  No reason to get so attached to your stuff.   No one is going to care about the dozen  brand new-in-box 3DS systems that you own in ten years. 

Buy all of the collectables you like, and sell a couple of them that you can live without when the value goes up astronomically 500-1000%.  That's how you maintain this hobby and keep buying cool collectables.

What I don't understand is people that get WAYY too obsessive over ownership of certain things. "I need xxxx thing because it's $300 now". Well you didn't want it when it was $80 new, or $20 when it was in the used bargain bin at GS so...no, you don't. Or else they get triggered by Ebay listings. Like seriously, who cares? People become way too attached to items just because they get this perception that something is worth a lot of money. Like I can't believe that some people here didn't sell their Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 Vita Limited Editions as soon as they reached $600+. Why wouldn't you. Why become attached to something so silly, just because the dollar price went up? Something is only worth as much as you can sell it for, and items don't remain hot forever. I sold my Dark Souls trilogy hardcover compendium for 400 bucks on Amazon a couple months ago without a moments hesitation. That will pay for an entire console or an entire year of brand new video games. It's a no-brainer. Anything seminal will get re-printed or remastered eventually anyways.

There will always be more new interesting stuff to buy. No reason to get so attached to your stuff. No one is going to care about the dozen brand new-in-box 3DSs systems that you own in ten years.

Buy all of the collectables you like, and sell a couple of them that you can live without when the value goes up 500-1000%. That's how you maintain this hobby and keep buying cool collectables.
My best guess is it's a "stop the pain" move. Maybe they saw it at $100, now it's $300 so they want to get it before it goes higher. I think not buying everything under the sun is a good idea otherwise you get backlogs like we were talking about before, but I definitely agree with your point here and the price increase is too much- it's already too late. If it was worth you paying $300 now you really should've considered buying it sooner, otherwise just admit it isn't worth that to you and move on.

At $300 I would just wait for a remaster, or buy it digitally for sure.

I sold my Re;Birth 1 LE to help pay for some obnoxiously expensive house repair stuff a couple of years ago. I didn't want to, because I got it at the MSRP which was about $55 and it was worth that to me. But I bought a digital Vita copy for $6 and did it anyway- sold for nearly $800. I'm lucky they're remaking it again for PS5, and this is mostly why I'm fine spending $85 for the Iffy LE :D

Or the Drakengard 3 CE which I totally haven't not opened because my PS3 died around the time I bought it, I'm not sitting on a $1000+ game, what are you even talking about?
My copy of Drakengard 3 came with a pre order DLC. I Wonder if it's still valid :)
[attachment=35563:IMG_20191111_124018.jpg]

What I don't understand is people that get WAYY too obsessive over ownership of certain things. "I need xxxx thing because it's $300 now". Well you didn't want it when it was $80 new, or $20 when it was in the used bargain bin at GS so...no, you don't. Or else they get triggered by Ebay listings. Like seriously, who cares? People become way too attached to items just because they get this perception that something is worth a lot of money. Like I can't believe that some people here didn't sell their Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 Vita Limited Editions as soon as they reached $600+. Why wouldn't you. Why become attached to something so silly, just because the dollar price went up? Something is only worth as much as you can sell it for, and items don't remain hot forever. I sold my Dark Souls trilogy hardcover compendium for 400 bucks on Amazon a couple months ago without a moments hesitation as soon as I saw what it was going for. That will pay for an entire console or an entire year of brand new video games. It's a no-brainer. Anything seminal will get re-printed or remastered eventually anyways.

There will always be more new interesting stuff to buy. No reason to get so attached to your stuff. No one is going to care about the dozen brand new-in-box 3DS systems that you own in ten years.

Buy all of the collectables you like, and sell a couple of them that you can live without when the value goes up astronomically 500-1000%. That's how you maintain this hobby and keep buying cool collectables.
I'd love to sell some of my old stuff that's become valuable, but how do you avoid getting ripped off on Amazon or eBay? Plenty of people will claim that your items weren't in the described condition or simply just have buyer's remorse and say it's not what they expected. And your stuff can get lost in the mail too. I believe USPS is still behind schedule and shipments are still being delayed. They just can't keep up with the volume of packages during these covid times.

I'd love to sell some of my old stuff that's become valuable, but how do you avoid getting ripped off on Amazon or eBay? Plenty of people will claim that your items weren't in the described condition or simply just have buyer's remorse and say it's not what they expected. And your stuff can get lost in the mail too. I believe USPS is still behind schedule and shipments are still being delayed. They just can't keep up with the volume of packages during these covid times.
Ship it out on day1, directly print your Ebay/Amazon labels so that it looks professional (they come with tracking #s), pack your items carefully with padding & protection, and purchase insurance on anything over $200. Ship people exactly what you show them in pictures and state precisely that. Nothing more, nothing less. Those are the big things; simply put, do a good job.

Priority Mail auto insures you for up to $50. If you are worried about the transaction then take pictures of the process (but I've never had to use them. O'rly'ing someone and sending them pictures of you boxing and mailing the item they received will shut them up real fast.) But you're not going to have problems if you simply print your own labels and ship things immediately the next business day. They wouldn't even potentially get around to it until weeks have passed, plus amazon/ebay can see that you used one of their labels along with tracking. So the item got to its destination unless there was a mail carrier error. People see pen scribbling on boxes and then think they can take advantage of a situation.

I've never had any major problems on Ebay or Amazon. Even sketchballs will leave you good feedback when something arrives to them packaged nicely in 2-3 days; you won't be their scam target.

I sold Hyperdimension Rebirth 1 LE for $450 ish back in 2018. No regerts. I didn't have any attachment to the series so I was glad to send it off to someone who would appreciate it more. Ironically (or not) it went to an international bidder. After that, I sold the rest of my Hyperdimension Games I had on PS Vita (All the Limited Editions, sealed) as well as the Danganronpa games (again, all sealed). No attachment, and they were taking up too much space.

It got to the point where I had a cardboard box, opened it up, and it was the same shipping box from NISA for one of the later HDN games on Vita that I never even took out of the shipping box. Now that's sad! lol

I still have a whole lot of $$$ games that I keep for nostalgia or whatever, as I don't need the money nowadays. Games such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Magic Knight Rayearth, Ninja Five 0, Panzer Dragoon Mini, Pokemon Heartgold (sealed), Persona 1, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 3 Portable (PSP Personas all sealed), Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, etc etc.

Comes to the point where you have this "stuff" but if you aren't struggling for money, then who's to judge what you do with it? 

What I don't understand is people that get WAYY too obsessive over ownership of certain things. "I need xxxx thing because it's $300 now". Well you didn't want it when it was $80 new, or $20 when it was in the used bargain bin at GS so...no, you don't.   Or else they get triggered by Ebay listings.   Like seriously, who cares?  People become way too attached to items just because they get this perception that something is worth a lot of money.   Like I can't believe that some people here didn't sell their Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 Vita Limited Editions as soon as they reached $600+.  Why wouldn't you.   Why become attached to something so silly, just because the dollar price went up?   Something is only worth as much as you can sell it for, and items don't remain hot forever.   I sold my Dark Souls trilogy hardcover compendium for 400 bucks on Amazon a couple months ago without a moments hesitation as soon as I saw what it was going for.   That will pay for an entire console or an entire year of brand new video games.   It's a no-brainer.  Anything seminal will get re-printed or remastered eventually anyways. 

There will always be more new interesting stuff to buy.  No reason to get so attached to your stuff.   No one is going to care about the dozen  brand new-in-box 3DS systems that you own in ten years. 

Buy all of the collectables you like, and sell a couple of them that you can live without when the value goes up astronomically 500-1000%.  That's how you maintain this hobby and keep buying cool collectables.
This is false. Gaming changes through the years and you might not like the new stuff as much. This is why many retro games and consoles have gone up in value, people miss the good old days. They made the mistake of trading in their games years ago and would rather play classics instead of newer games which for many are not as interesting. The old games are scarce now so the values are high. I personally think this is the worst generation of gaming yet and would rather have back many of the old games I sold through the years but are too expensive now. I would rather hang on to expensive items instead of making the risk of selling them. Also, if you have a real job all of a sudden a few hundred dollars for a game isn't really that much profit like it was when you were in hs or college. Also, I am attached to material items because in my experience people will let you down, abandon you, etc. but my games are still there and will always be there for me.

Hate to break it to you, but just because someone on eBay lists it for $1,299, doesn't mean that's what it sells for.

If you check PriceCharting, highest it's been actually sold is $250.

Also, I am attached to material items because in my experience people will let you down, abandon you, etc. but my games are still there and will always be there for me.
There's uh, a lot to unpack there, no offense.

Ship it out on day1, directly print your Ebay/Amazon labels so that it looks professional (they come with tracking #s), pack your items carefully with padding & protection, and purchase insurance on anything over $200. Ship people exactly what you show them in pictures and state precisely that. Nothing more, nothing less. Those are the big things; simply put, do a good job.

Priority Mail auto insures you for up to $50. If you are worried about the transaction then take pictures of the process (but I've never had to use them. O'rly'ing someone and sending them pictures of you boxing and mailing the item they received will shut them up real fast.) But you're not going to have problems if you simply print your own labels and ship things immediately the next business day. They wouldn't even potentially get around to it until weeks have passed, plus amazon/ebay can see that you used one of their labels along with tracking. So the item got to its destination unless there was a mail carrier error. People see pen scribbling on boxes and then think they can take advantage of a situation.

I've never had any major problems on Ebay or Amazon. Even sketchballs will leave you good feedback when something arrives to them packaged nicely in 2-3 days; you won't be their scam target.
Basically what nothing said. For anything that isn't priority mail you can buy additional insurance for like 1.50 on ebay. Label wise you can have the post office and ups print one for you which is what I do since they are sized to fit the package.

I always bubblewrap/cardboard sleeve anything I ship to someone unless its like an item under 5$ then pfft bubble mailer only it is.

Additionally make sure you take numerous detailed photos and leave a detailed descrip as that helps avoid any issues like I didn't see such and such.

Mercari wise they require anyone trying to do a refund/return and such to take pictures of the item they got so that helps lower the fraud rate I imagine. I've had 2 items that arrived broken thanks to fedex and ups kicking the boxes apparently up and down a flight of stairs but other than that I have had no issues. And in mercaris case they include 50$ insurance minimum on stuff you sell iirc so if anything happens you still get your money.

Hate to break it to you, but just because someone on eBay lists it for $1,299, doesn't mean that's what it sells for.

If you check PriceCharting, highest it's been actually sold is $250.
Hate to break it to you, but you can check sold listings on eBay and find that just because PriceCharting says highest sold is $250 doesn't mean it's true.

Your intended point is correct. Your facts aren't, though. Sealed copies have sold for $500 with a graded copy selling for $1000.

My copy of Drakengard 3 came with a pre order DLC. I Wonder if it's still valid :)
I actually just opened my Drakengard 3 collector's last month and can confirm that it is no longer valid. Not sure what it was supposed to be other than Japanese voices DLC and some kind of prologue.

I wonder if Square-Enix would do anything if contacted. It clearly shows it's not redeemed when the code's entered, but states it's expired. Doubtful they can or would do anything, though.

bread's done
Back