Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t imagine what kind of spoilers exist for a 20 year old game, but you’ve got me curious now. Then again my memory of the plot in general has probably also deteriorated over that time. Maybe I’ll start the remake tonight before abandoning it tomorrow when my R&C shows up.
That was my thought too (hence being off guard). This isn't something like ***** dies; it regards new content that is added.

I can’t imagine what kind of spoilers exist for a 20 year old game, but you’ve got me curious now. Then again my memory of the plot in general has probably also deteriorated over that time. Maybe I’ll start the remake tonight before abandoning it tomorrow when my R&C shows up.
I mean... they've already gone pretty far off tangent so not sure it's the usual spoiler.

I thought VPG was hacked or my email spoofed or something. I think I only bought something ages ago (Infinite Space if you want to know). I'll click on it then. I think the wording in the email said I myself created it so I was like WTF is going on and sent an email to customer service which hasn't responded yet. Thanks for taking the plunge haha.

I thought VPG was hacked or my email spoofed or something. I think I only bought something ages ago (Infinite Space if you want to know). I'll click on it then. I think the wording in the email said I myself created it so I was like WTF is going on and sent an email to customer service which hasn't responded yet. Thanks for taking the plunge haha.
FYI, I clicked all the bonus things and it just gave me points (at least I got the emails saying I got pts)... I don't even have Twitter or IG...

I wonder if this means it's now safe to order from VGP using a credit card on their website?  Not sure I'll be the guneapig for it... but I've been considering getting a copy of Hardcore Mecha and they will carry the PAL version.  Second best option would be going with PA and get the Japan or Asia version (whichever one they a have in stock).

Metal Slug Tactics (tactical RPG) in development for Steam.  Looks pretty good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqF0KLsaf6U&t=41s

That looks awesome. I like that they're trying a new genre instead of making another umpteenth installment. I hope the King of Fighters (For Girls) visual novel eventually makes its way here.

I wonder if this means it's now safe to order from VGP using a credit card on their website? Not sure I'll be the guneapig for it... but I've been considering getting a copy of Hardcore Mecha and they will carry the PAL version. Second best option would be going with PA and get the Japan or Asia version (whichever one they a have in stock).
Would definitely be cool but I'm with you - gonna stick to PayPal for now.

I wonder if this means it's now safe to order from VGP using a credit card on their website?
They're using Shop Pay now (shopify?), which is the same as LRG, Bethesda Gear and several other sites I've used. I ordered the physical Doki Doki from them last night and used my saved Shop Pay credit card.

I am utterly shocked that I don't see any excitement for Babylon's Fall or Stranger in Paradise up in here.

Here's a quick (marathoned this over 2 nights) review of Kinkoi: Golden Loveriche. This is the first VN in a decent while to really impress me overall. The graphics are great and have so much detail in the characters and the backgrounds and such. This is a story about a guy who gets caught up in a lot of circumstances and ends up going to a prestigious academy. The characters are all pretty developed honestly. There could have easily been 2 more routes, though those were saved for the fan disc (also coming in English eventually). I found the common route pretty good and it had a lot of events and set a good part for the game. After this you can choose from a few scenarios and then read and play them out. One thing I love about this game, other than 1 route, is that most characters would appear in other routes. I'm not as much of a fan of visual novels who once you choose a route lose all the other characters you got to know. These routes (other than 1 which I found quick and not amazing honestly) have a lot of drama, character development, side character development and especially main character development. I really liked the stories overall other than that 1 route. They keep giving your more information to keep figuring out how these characters come together and know each other overall. I found the comedy overall pretty good with the mix of the drama. This feels like a hybrid moege x nakige. The voice actors are excellent and even the higher pitched characters don't sound annoying at all. This was just a strong VN overall, although there were a few typos and localization weirdness by NekoNyan, which could be patched. The music is really pretty too with many piano compositions and just a good amount in general. The true end is beautiful too. I think the thing I loved the most was that there was drama, but it felt very believable and not stupid. Hatsukoi 1/1 pissed me off with how overblown and moronic the drama was in each route. This one felt realistic and interesting. I highly, highly recommend this VN. It's easily the best I've played in the last few years. Beautiful, human and it made me cry honestly. 9/10

Target b2g1 - Monster Hunter stories 2 was added along with these switch titles - the great ace attorney chronicles, Monark, Mary Skelter F, doki doki literature club. As always you can order 3x and cancel 2 to get the cheapest price for a single copy if there aren’t 3x similarly priced games that you want since target doesn’t actually make a game free, they pro rate the prices for example 3x Mary skelter is $120, if you cancel 2 the 1 will be $40~

Target b2g1 - Monster Hunter stories 2 was added along with these switch titles - the great ace attorney chronicles, Monark, Mary Skelter F, doki doki literature club. As always you can order 3x and cancel 2 to get the cheapest price for a single copy if there aren’t 3x similarly priced games that you want since target doesn’t actually make a game free, they pro rate the prices for example 3x Mary skelter is $120, if you cancel 2 the 1 will be $40~
Ace Attorney isn't showing up as B2G1F for me.

Metal Slug Tactics (tactical RPG) in development for Steam. Looks pretty good so far.
Hot damn! I would 100% be interested in this if it ends up coming to switch. I'm not the biggest of all Metal Slug fans... I casually love the series, I don't need to own them all on every platform they release... but this... I would love to play. I hope it turns out well and gets ported.

They're using Shop Pay now (shopify?), which is the same as LRG, Bethesda Gear and several other sites I've used. I ordered the physical Doki Doki from them last night and used my saved Shop Pay credit card.
Oh, yeah, I'm fine with that. Thanks for the feedback on what they are using now.

Wasn't planning on getting MH Stories 2 but with the B2G1F, got that with Ace Attorney and Lost Judgement which both of those I was buying at launch anyway so worked out.

Given it's coming to PS4 and PS5, I think there's a good chance LRG picks it up for a physical release.
LRG tried to work with Koei-Tecmo on the Atelier games for Vita a way back and that didn't pan out, then Play-Asia got the Switch trilogies as exclusives. I'm inclined to think it'd be through Play-Asia if it did get a release.

Holy mackerel.

Mushihimesama dropped on Switch eShop today!  English, unlike the 360 version on my shelf.  Hopefully we get Futari down the line.

Dodonpachi and ESP.galuda 2 also announced for 2021.

LRG tried to work with Koei-Tecmo on the Atelier games for Vita a way back and that didn't pan out, then Play-Asia got the Switch trilogies as exclusives. I'm inclined to think it'd be through Play-Asia if it did get a release.
Fine with me. If PlayAsia gets it, all the better.

Figured I would Ask Nitrosmob since they might know.  There was a steam game last year that I played a demo for and forgot about.  So I wanted to check if its out yet.  However the demo isn't in my steam library and I can't seem to find it while searching manually as I don't remember the name.

From what I do remember it was a visual novel set in paris.  I think it was either the last century or maybe even the 1800s. A young artist leaves his town in the boonies and heads off to paris to try and make it on his own.  He works part time in a flourists during the day then spends the afternoon painting by the river.  I think it had sunset or some type of sun theme in the name. 

There's always 2 choices during any split in the story and you can always rewind if you decide to pick the other one.   Though what of I played in the demo either choice is usually wrong and derped up by the incompetent main character somehow.  Like first choice was to go help a customer but you drop mud onto her shoes or something. Second choice was to wait for the customer to ask if she needs assistance but she gets upset that no one helped her. 

I don't think I played that but it sounds interesting. I've played a majority of school based ones and some other random ones. I know one about a florist but it's a lady and she has men become interested in her.

Edit: I think I found it. Comes out Summer 2021.

Night & Day

how is it performing poorly on PS4/PS5?
I was jarred to see it locked at 1080p at launch with frequent drops in frames. I don't know how/why it was released in a state far inferior to Ys VIII. My experience is probably outdated though because it looks like patches have gone out since then.

Edit: Spent some time with the demo. Could tell right away from the ingame graphics menu that durante's team worked on this. I'll be happy to play this one on pc and support this product.

I don't think I played that but it sounds interesting. I've played a majority of school based ones and some other random ones. I know one about a florist but it's a lady and she has men become interested in her.

Edit: I think I found it. Comes out Summer 2021.

Night & Day
Ah yep that's the one thank you for your help. Hmm according to the forums there was even some bg's to unlock while playing but I definitely don't recall getting either of them.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-anime-bundle
1  for .99
5  for 2.99
10 for  4.99
Return to Shironagasu Island
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa
Kawaii Deathu Desu
How to Fool a Liar King
Tenta Shooter
Majotori
The Legend of Dark Witch
Big Dipper
Steel Vampire
Strawberry Vinegar
Maidens of a Hollow Dream
Graze Counter
AIdol
How To Date A Magical Girl!
Soul Saber 2
Celestian Tales: Old North
Wings of Vi
Analogue: A Hate Story
How to Take Off Your Mask
CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ Deluxe
Cursed Sight
World's Dawn

Nothing I'm really too interested in there.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-anime-bundle
1 for .99
5 for 2.99
10 for 4.99
Return to Shironagasu Island
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa
Kawaii Deathu Desu
How to Fool a Liar King
Tenta Shooter
Majotori
The Legend of Dark Witch
Big Dipper
Steel Vampire
Strawberry Vinegar
Maidens of a Hollow Dream
Graze Counter
AIdol
How To Date A Magical Girl!
Soul Saber 2
Celestian Tales: Old North
Wings of Vi
Analogue: A Hate Story
How to Take Off Your Mask
CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ Deluxe
Cursed Sight
World's Dawn

Nothing I'm really too interested in there.
If anyone doesn’t gave them already, I hear good things about Legend of Dark Witch, Strawberry Vinegar, Graze Counter, and Analogue. I have them all backlogged so no personal experience.

sorta-new Fanatical bundle, Bento Bundle 4

Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark
White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
Synergia
The eXceed Collection: Aural Brutality Edition
Learn Japanese to Survive! Trilogy

$5.57 after promo code BESTDAD

Was anyone able to get the e3 20% off discount code for the xseed store to work?  When I try to apply the coupon code in the cart it says it does not exist.  I emailed xseed about it but they didn't reply.

bread's done
Back