Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked around and didn't see any other better threads to ask this question in.  Any suggestions for a good site for pricing used games that I want to sell?

I have somewhat niche PS4 games (Atelier Sophie, Firis, and Lydia & Suelle) that I am looking to sell complete with cases and artwork.  I may have a couple of others to sell that I haven't decided on yet.  Pricecharting.com seems to be a pretty good resource, I just want to make sure I am asking a reasonable price for these.

Appreciate any suggestions.

I looked around and didn't see any other better threads to ask this question in. Any suggestions for a good site for pricing used games that I want to sell?

I have somewhat niche PS4 games (Atelier Sophie, Firis, and Lydia & Suelle) that I am looking to sell complete with cases and artwork. I may have a couple of others to sell that I haven't decided on yet. Pricecharting.com seems to be a pretty good resource, I just want to make sure I am asking a reasonable price for these.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Go to ebay and filter by sold and then sort by most recent. That is gonna be your real-time look at where the market is right now for the games you wanna sell

Go to ebay and filter by sold and then sort by most recent. That is gonna be your real-time look at where the market is right now for the games you wanna sell
I second that but also look at the condition of them individually to take into consideration. Also rec checking other sold listings for places like Mercari. Price charting doesn't show all sales data. Neither does ebay. So you gotta use multiple sources. I miss the old price tracker that had GameStop, eBay Amazon, half and other places listed. They even had most sales that don't pop up on the item search pages. With the small exception of some sales that only appear on the individual sellers page. As I know this from personal experience as I looked up my own recent sales of various games while using price chart, Mercari and eBay and they were not appearing.

So I've been playing re zero and it had no english audio or audio options despite having updated and installed the game last week.  Now I just turned the game back on where I left off last night and suddenly the audios in english.  I didn't know that they had dual audio update added english audio in so I just assumed that the game was sub only.  So weird.

Game wise it's more phoenix wright/professor layton (minus actual puzzles so far anyway) and hasn't had any combat or anything which is a little disappointing. 

I'm not a fan of the reimagined version of events from season 2 either since the parts they removed or changed were important and events happening out of order make it feel like a fanfiction adaptation.  Like Subaru needing medical attention from Felix was supposed to be a bit later iirc. They also removed Priscilla's introduction scene and him becoming friends with her bodyguard Al. That part was especially disappointing to miss since it was a sort of callback to season 1 where Subaru first meets Emelia and Reinhardt in that alleyway. 

Then they took out his duel with Julius.  Though personally I don't really miss it. But it was kinda important since it establishes the rivalry and strong dislike the 2 have for eachother. 

So I've been playing re zero and it had no english audio or audio options despite having updated and installed the game last week.

Game wise it's more phoenix wright/professor layton (minus actual puzzles so far anyway) and hasn't had any combat or anything which is a little disappointing.

I'm not a fan of the reimagined version of events from season 2 either since the parts they removed or changed were important and events happening out of order make it feel like a fanfiction adaptation. Like Subaru needing medical attention from Felix was supposed to be a bit later iirc. They also removed Priscilla's introduction scene and him becoming friends with her bodyguard Al. That part was especially disappointing to miss since it was a sort of callback to season 1 where Subaru first meets Emelia and Reinhardt in that alleyway.
Something something the game was made before season 2 and so the had the light novels to use as a source.

English audio has been there since launch. I think you have to restart the game to take effect. You can see videos from January in English dub, for example.

The Felix thing happens about the correct time, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure they referenced the alleyway at one point...

It obviously diverges as an alternate timeline, but some of your complaints are pulled from the light novels.

One thing that they added in was useful as they explained why Otto had all his oil and how the northern exit from the capital was blocked for the time being.  As I don't remember them explaining that in the original. 

I wasn't aware that the game was made before season 2.

I've been watching Re:zero! and holy shit this show is dark. 

Loving it though.  It's one of MY top anime of 2021, since I'm always 1-4 years behind bc I wait for the blu-ray or else syndication.  Bought the first season on BD but I've been watching the sequel on HBO Max.  Very uneven storytelling and tone, but great show!

Yes. The only thing I really have a problem with is how quickly Subaru forgives some characters. Personally if I was tortured I certainly would not.

Roswals a real treat in English since I feel his exaggerated drawn out sentences work better.

Sometimes they go a little overboard on their reactions. At times Subaru has such a hair trigger.

Krusch and Echidna are pretty awesome out of the cast and immediately became favorites.

Long weekend gone... a quick update for those following my game playing / collection minimizing saga.... N64 is done.  Only enjoyable part of that was watching the dk64 intro... which I'll post below.   GC, I gave Metroid Prime 1 &2 a try and didn't really enjoy the experience... so despite liking Prime 3 on wii... I think I'm just going to ditch the whole series.  Good for me though after seeing what a sealed copy of Metroid Samus Returns goes for these days.  Also now I have nothing major being released this year left to buy.  So I'm pretty well caught up on all games that have ever come out (as far as buying goes) and am pretty good for the year in not buying anything else.

I did look up prices on other games.  My sealed Legend of Legacy quickly moved to my sale pile.  My sealed launch version of Stella Glow is now around $140... so... going to sell that.  I'll play the demo of Stella Glow again and make sure I want to play it and if so will either downgrade to an open standard copy or will just wait for another digital sale as I think it was $10 last time.

Next up is probably the ps3.  It'll take a while to power through that... but once it's done it's downhill.   It's looking good I'll have everything major decided on this month.  Maybe October I'll finally pull the trigger and start selling.  I have no fixed time table but if I can get everything I want gone parted with by the end of November... then it'll be easier come tax time as I'll surely have more than 200 listings.   Well... unless I group games together or something.  I don't think there's any risk of crossing the 20K income limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuO-1GoNJk

I've been downsizing quite a bit, too.  I support the "all killer, no filler" summer vibe in game collecting by getting rid of stuff you don't jive with.

I am moving nearly all digital for modern stuff except certain games I want physical copies of and basically anything on Switch.  Nintendo has a bad track record for store support, so I make sure anything I get there is physical.

I have a great relationship with my local game store, so I just dump stuff there.  I'm sitting on hundreds in store credit, waiting for certain higher ticket items to get traded in at this time.  Otherwise, really considering the physical space cost going forward as much as the cash cost.  I would just rather get it on the PSN or Steam these days.  More so with the Steam Deck coming out.

For me, cheap digital (especially most indies)... I'll just go digital.  But major (for me anyway) releases, I'll go physical since at least I can recoup some of the cost later in selling.

I've price checked a lot of stuff.  I don't mind the work to sell... I'll have cash in hand when it's all done that I can use anywhere and definitely thousands more than the local stores will pay (even after ebay & paypal fees).  It'll be wroth the effort.  I've ebay'd before... the biggest hurdle for me will be deciding on third party tools since it seems turbo lister was shutdown.

Long weekend gone... a quick update for those following my game playing / collection minimizing saga.... N64 is done. Only enjoyable part of that was watching the dk64 intro... which I'll post below. GC, I gave Metroid Prime 1 &2 a try and didn't really enjoy the experience... so despite liking Prime 3 on wii... I think I'm just going to ditch the whole series. Good for me though after seeing what a sealed copy of Metroid Samus Returns goes for these days. Also now I have nothing major being released this year left to buy. So I'm pretty well caught up on all games that have ever come out (as far as buying goes) and am pretty good for the year in not buying anything else.

I did look up prices on other games. My sealed Legend of Legacy quickly moved to my sale pile. My sealed launch version of Stella Glow is now around $140... so... going to sell that. I'll play the demo of Stella Glow again and make sure I want to play it and if so will either downgrade to an open standard copy or will just wait for another digital sale as I think it was $10 last time.

Next up is probably the ps3. It'll take a while to power through that... but once it's done it's downhill. It's looking good I'll have everything major decided on this month. Maybe October I'll finally pull the trigger and start selling. I have no fixed time table but if I can get everything I want gone parted with by the end of November... then it'll be easier come tax time as I'll surely have more than 200 listings. Well... unless I group games together or something. I don't think there's any risk of crossing the 20K income limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuO-1GoNJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PugcxQYJGjs&ab_channel=JoelHaver

Anticipated Makai Kingdom, but ZHP was my third choice over La Pucelle.  Hopefully Vol 3 is La Pucelle and Rhapsody!

https://youtu.be/veBeEQv0PC0

Neptunia x Senran Kagura launches October 26 (NA) / 29 (EU)

LE available for preorder September 28. $99.99

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/neptunia-senran-ninja-wars-LE/

(Japanese version launches on the 16th)
Buying that right away! But, why such a long wait to pre-order? Does Iffy normally do stuff like this?

Anticipated Makai Kingdom, but ZHP was my third choice over La Pucelle. Hopefully Vol 3 is La Pucelle and Rhapsody!
Agreed, I really wanted Volume 2 to be Makai Kingdom and La Pucelle. I'm a little worried now that that means NIS isn't interested in negotiating licensing deals for games that still have rights issues. But, La Pucelle is a classic NIS title, so maybe it's just taking a minute to make a deal with Mastiff, so it'll be in Volume 3.

I'm glad they are continuing these NIS Collections ... so far neither are for me as the games I wanted from them I already bought digital on PSN and would just play them on PSP, Vita, or PSTV if I had a strong interest.

I'm glad they are continuing these NIS Collections ... so far neither are for me as the games I wanted from them I already bought digital on PSN and would just play them on PSP, Vita, or PSTV if I had a strong interest.
How did you buy Makai Kingdom digitally? And wasn't ZHP one of the titles that didn't get a digital version?

I know I bought ZHP on the store. Makai Kingdom bored me long ago when I got it cheap from somewhere. It was OK but nothing amazing. These seem like things I would buy for $10 on the EShop and not stuff I would pay full price for.

How did you buy Makai Kingdom digitally? And wasn't ZHP one of the titles that didn't get a digital version?
I didn't mean to imply all of the games were on the store... but the ones that interested me were....

ZHP: https://en.psprices.com/region-us/game/32190/z-h-p

Phantom Brave: https://en.psprices.com/region-us/game/273722/phantom-brave-the-hermuda-triangle-sprout-avatar

Pretty sure I bought Phantom Brave and for a while I had ZHP on my wishlist. There was some hype around ZHP during one of the sales... I don't remember if I bought it or if I watched some youtube videos on it and dropped it as my interest in expanding my vita collection shrank.

Yea, I'm not interested in Phantom Brave at all because I've bought it like 3-4 times already. Makai Kingdom had been one of the 2 games I really wanted to be re-released on PS4 (the other being Nocturne).

It is not, I bought it off PSN several years ago when NISA was still doing periodic sales on their PSP catalog. As for Makai Kingdom... Japanese PSN, maybe? There was a Japan-only PSP version.

Long weekend gone... a quick update for those following my game playing / collection minimizing saga.... N64 is done. Only enjoyable part of that was watching the dk64 intro... which I'll post below. GC, I gave Metroid Prime 1 &2 a try and didn't really enjoy the experience... so despite liking Prime 3 on wii... I think I'm just going to ditch the whole series. Good for me though after seeing what a sealed copy of Metroid Samus Returns goes for these days.
I'm in the process of shrinking down my physical collection as well. I don't have much filler or crap in my collection, but as I get older I don't get as much enjoyment from having piles of games sitting around in. With the way prices are now, I can't afford to add to my collection or justify opening many of the sealed games I have.

I started by eBaying my Master System and Genesis games right before the pandemic - d'oh! Currently selling my PC games since they take up so much space. It was a little sad parting with my LucasArts/LucasFilm games. They were my favorite games as a child and I always loved the consistent style and the great cover art of their boxes. A sealed big box Fallout 2 seems to be the biggest ticket PC game I have left.

I'll be selling off NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, 3DS, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1-3, PSP and Xbox stuff off over the coming months/years - I'm in no rush. The Game Boy Advance drawers in my media cabinet are starting to look like a treasure chest. Metroid Dread looks like it's giving a bump in value to my sealed copies of Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. Other goodies I noticed while browsing last night were sealed Castlevania, Final Fantasy, and Classic NES Series GBA games.

I agree that N64 is really rough to revisit. Playing Mario 64 for the first time will always be one of my favorite gaming experiences though.

For all you Soulcalibur VI fans (all nine of us /s), all the DLC (except the season passes) are on sale on PSN:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/search/soulcalibur/

I don't think the second season pass has ever gone on sale in NA, so I'll probably pick up its four character packs (I already have the first season pass). I'm not digging most of the creation parts since a lot of them have fashions that are way too modern and I like to make my characters look at least close to belonging to the time period Soulcalibur takes place in.

Praying a third season pass or Soulcalibur VII happens. The legend will never die!

Got the Eiyu Senki Gold Limited Edition.

7wsJ2jr.jpg

redqaMx.jpg
LXvSQWM.jpg
FH3KboB.jpg
rvHcB2O.jpg
VloxRCJ.jpg
73Fob9O.jpg
ELVEmZG.jpg

I hope that means it's long enough but doesn't drag its butt like a lot of RPGs. It looks cool though and it's been a while, so it's a must pre-order for me.
someone on resetera said Tales of Arise is only 25-30 hours long
I'd be ok with that. Though how short it is is irrelevant if it's paced badly like zestiria was.

Bamco apparently sent emails out to the people that ordered the ce that it's been delayed and they will be sending out regular copies to those hit with the delay. If they end up getting 2 copies then that'd be pretty nice for them. I got an email from amazon that my preorder was delayed till the 21st-24th. I thought about starting a game to fill that time but i'd not want to repeat what happened with legend of dragoon and end up leaving it unfinished for fire emblem 5 houses.

Re zero wise I googled how to get past map 5 because it's guide dang it to figure that out on your own and I already wasted 3 tries on it. Gotta say that map was terrible and if you are going to give a problem with multiple solutions but want the specific solution you like then just make it linear. also why make the map 20 turns long if you can't do anything for 10+ of them while you wait till the near end of the map to take your turns.

Al's only got one arm and I somehow never noticed that. Also apparently his voice actor died so the game has his new va in it which I didn't know or notice either. That's too bad.

Priscilla is bit more violent than she was in the show. Her going to visit Natsuki though felt out of character for her since she's more the type to have people come to her not the other way around. Her entering his bedroom is especially ooc even in this harem setting. Which the game definitely leans towards Anastasia, Priscilla and Crucshe falling into. Sakura as well who wasn't exactly subtle about hitting on him.

Further I get in I have to say it's impressive with how much voice work they put in this. A shame a lot of it is on alt dialogue trees and such so most players may not encounter it. It may have the most voice work in any game I have played.

Yeah that sounds like a good length for me as well. Anymore, it is a real struggle to get through anything pushing 25 hours with the never ending competition of adult life and sheer number of games being released. I envy the people that will buy and play only one game for 800+ hours. 

Bamco apparently sent emails out to the people that ordered the ce that it's been delayed and they will be sending out regular copies to those hit with the delay. If they end up getting 2 copies then that'd be pretty nice for them. I got an email from amazon that my preorder was delayed till the 21st-24th. I thought about starting a game to fill that time but i'd not want to repeat what happened with legend of dragoon and end up leaving it unfinished for fire emblem 5 houses.
This is the full text of the email, there's no promise of a regular copy:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your purchase of the Tales of Arise Collector's Edition.

In the context of the global pandemic, some of our carriers are facing unprecedented delivery delays. We are doing everything possible to make sure that your order arrives on release day but unfortunately some shipments of the Collector’s Edition will likely be delayed.

We are monitoring the shipping updates for each order very closely and will be reaching out to any customers that do not receive their shipment by September 10th with an appropriate solution.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment we know this creates for our fans. While this is outside of our control, your satisfaction is extremely important to us and we want to make sure you get the opportunity to play the game as soon as possible.

THANK YOU for shopping at BANDAI NAMCO Store and for your support of Tales of Arise! If you haven’t received your Collector’s Edition by 6 pm on September 10th, please check your email for additional communication from us.

Sincerely,
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Store Team
For all we know "an appropriate solution" could just be a $10 coupon at the Bamco store. :/

As far as the length, 25-30 hours for the main story isn't unreasonable. A little shorter than average, sure, but main story for most of the modern games clock in around 40 hours if you're just focused on that.

I envy the people that will buy and play only one game for 800+ hours.
For a few years now I've made it a point to pick one main game to play and to really focus on it until I feel like I'm done with it. 800+ hours isn't happening again for me... that's where freemium games come into play and I'm avoiding them like the plauge most of them are. But when I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I had no problem with it stretching over 100 hours. If I'm having an absolute great time with a game, I don't mind it lasting long if it's constantly bringing something new. XC2 had little story bits for each blade built into their affinity system. So it gave me some reason to collect blades and try and max their affinity charts well after the end.

I'm in the process of shrinking down my physical collection as well.
You'll do better than I have over the years. NES, Saturn, Dreamcast, TG16, and the bulk of SNES went around a decade ago (also parted with a lot of DS/GBA/GBC/GB... though I kept my favorites). The prices I was selling at allowed me to make a profit over what I paid, but it's all worth probably at least 4x what I sold for now. That's life. On the bright side, a decade? later and it's been super rare that I've legit missed anything I sold. Maybe four games out of nearly a thousand. So I know myself well enough not to fear the regret. Playing everything (even a little) also helps. I'm saving PC big box stuff for last just because of it's size.

Got my PS3 hooked up Tuesday night and the games moved to the media cabinets by my tv... but haven't played anything. It's only around 60 games... some of which I bought digital so I only have to test the disc out and make sure it works. But others I'll really want to put some time in with as I was very picky with my ps3 purchases.

A friend of mine has logged 2,643 hours on Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and is pretty much the only game he's played since it was released on Steam. No idea how many hours when it was Impulse or whatever the original distribution platform was. 

Still debating if I am going to get Tales now or wait until BF. I am still working through Y's IX and have the Mary Skelter: F collector's edition preordered from IF. I know I don't need it right at launch, but I want it. 

i had 1400 hours in iceborne. i really miss being into something like that. been working 2 jobs so havent even tried rise yet

I don't mind if a game has a lot of content (like tons of side quests, post game, etc), but if the main narrative goes on for too long, it feels like a chore. I love Persona 5, but the almost 80+ hours I sunk into that felt excessive.

For a few years now I've made it a point to pick one main game to play and to really focus on it until I feel like I'm done with it. 800+ hours isn't happening again for me... that's where freemium games come into play and I'm avoiding them like the plauge most of them are. But when I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I had no problem with it stretching over 100 hours. If I'm having an absolute great time with a game, I don't mind it lasting long if it's constantly bringing something new. XC2 had little story bits for each blade built into their affinity system. So it gave me some reason to collect blades and try and max their affinity charts well after the end.

You'll do better than I have over the years. NES, Saturn, Dreamcast, TG16, and the bulk of SNES went around a decade ago (also parted with a lot of DS/GBA/GBC/GB... though I kept my favorites). The prices I was selling at allowed me to make a profit over what I paid, but it's all worth probably at least 4x what I sold for now. That's life. On the bright side, a decade? later and it's been super rare that I've legit missed anything I sold. Maybe four games out of nearly a thousand. So I know myself well enough not to fear the regret. Playing everything (even a little) also helps. I'm saving PC big box stuff for last just because of it's size.

Got my PS3 hooked up Tuesday night and the games moved to the media cabinets by my tv... but haven't played anything. It's only around 60 games... some of which I bought digital so I only have to test the disc out and make sure it works. But others I'll really want to put some time in with as I was very picky with my ps3 purchases.
Just recently played and finished XC2 after sitting in my backlog since launch day… man I regret not playing this day 1!!! GOTY for me for sure I only played it casually but beat it within 55hrs. I def can see myself 100% and putting the necessary hrs to play thru all the blade story bits. I haven’t had this experience with an amazing game in forever. Just wanted to share that.

Just recently played and finished XC2 after sitting in my backlog since launch day… man I regret not playing this day 1!!! GOTY for me for sure I only played it casually but beat it within 55hrs. I def can see myself 100% and putting the necessary hrs to play thru all the blade story bits. I haven’t had this experience with an amazing game in forever. Just wanted to share that.
I kept pushing off finishing the story until about 80 hours. I put 40 more into going back and exploring side quest stuff (mainly with the blades, but also finishing the characters as well). Such a great time. I bought it at launch (prime discount) but waited to play it about 5 months later or so. Pretty sure XC2 Torna physical was announced while I was deep into XC2. It was an instant preorder. I also went back and picked up XC (3DS, ebay) and XCX (WiiU, walmart clearance). I think I got close to 100% on XC:Torna. XC I was going to play then XC DE got announced so I held off. I still have that and XCX to play... I'm in no rush.

The Xenoblade series and SMT5 are the only things that make me want a Switch, but I'm still holding out for a Switch 2 or something.

Started down the PS3 path last night.   Ooof what a pain.  The first four games I tried required installs from the disc.  I don't even have the system connected to the net.  Ni No Kuni, which I was only testing as I have the switch version... over 3gb install... took more than 10min so I went back and watched some tv while it loaded up.   Ratchet & Clank All 4 One... pretty similar and they put up an unskippable video to hide the first 30% of the install.   I ended up actually playing those two games as well as Alien Colonial Marines, Alpha Protocol, and Bulletstorm.   Bulletstorm was the standout as it had no install and was pretty damned fun.   And here I thought I might be done with first person shooters.   Alpha Protocol was cool and if I was in my 20's I'd probably have loved every second of that... but I don't think I want to invest the time.  Alien Colonial Marines was very cool .. and I love the franchise... but I think despite enjoying what I played it was kind of clunky.  Another game younger me would have been bonkers for but old ass me is kind of over.   Since PS3 is kind of a pita to test discs... I'm going to skip testing stuff for now and will handle that later with the system hooked to a separate tv so I can just watch something on the big screen while cycling through a stack of games to test.   A few games I went ahead and moved to the "I'm done" pile... but for just over two hours to load and play 5 games... it's looking like this is going to take me a week if I stick with it each day.

Yeah install sizes are huge on some ps3 titles. Ni no Kuni was one of the largest iirc.

Made worse by download speed being so slow on it. I'll definitely regret not getting to stuff in my ps3 backlog down the road.

As a word of warning some games are not very compatible with the anorexic super slim ps3s like atelier Rorona plus. So you will need a phat or possibly a slim to play them. As I played Rorona plus on the super slim and couldn't finish it and had to transfer the save via plus to my phat to get past the ending credits.

Yeah install sizes are huge on some ps3 titles. Ni no Kuni was one of the largest iirc.

Made worse by download speed being so slow on it. I'll definitely regret not getting to stuff in my ps3 backlog down the road.

As a word of warning some games are not very compatible with the anorexic super slim ps3s like atelier Rorona plus. So you will need a phat or possibly a slim to play them. As I played Rorona plus on the super slim and couldn't finish it and had to transfer the save via plus to my phat to get past the ending credits.
Is that an stock HDD issue? I have a Super Slim with an upgraded HDD and never noticed any sort of download or loading issues in my whole time of using it outside of games that were just shittily optimized to begin with.

I think it's the default hard drive but I'd have to check to be sure. I know I upgraded the phat to a large hard drive because the default was too small.

bread's done
Back