Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any promos or coupons going for PA right now?

Also that’s a pretty terrible cover. Not entirely sure I even want it physical if this is how it looks.

Had to go back and find it, didn't even notice it.

attachicon.gif
Capture.PNG

Happy to see Ys 8 get reprinted... not happy that it happened after I paid quite a bit for a used copy on eBay, but happy that the game gets another chance. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even decided to get the platinum for it (granted, it's not a hard platty).

Also, not sure if it was reprinted- but I noticed a sudden influx of Dangan Trilogy PS4 on eBay lately. Prices still suck but anyone know if it was reprinted?
Looks like it's one of the reprinted ones available today:

https://store.nisamerica.com/catalog/product/view/id/1382/s/danganronpa-trilogy-ps4tm/category/264/

Heads up from the Playstation thread, if you have Target Circle you may have a 40% off offer waiting for you but YMMV. Bonus is the redcard 5% stacks with it. If you do have it, the coupon appears to work on a number of preorders and I was able to get Blue Reflection 2 for roughly $36. It also appears to work on ALL edligilbe items in your cart so I made it a point to stock up on things I was after. Picked up Mario Golf, Splatoon 2, Blue Reflection 2, Saints Row Reboot, and Horizon 2 for a whopping $188. Double bounus is Target does not charge for P/O's until picked up or shipped.
I didn't have this offer available, but I was hoping for it (also for Blue Reflection 2). Thanks for the notice.

Debating if I want Danganronpa trilogy physical or digital.  I've never played it, so I'm thinking more digital ($20 on PC total) versus the physical.

Yeah PS4 now up as well: https://store.nisamerica.com/catalog/product/view/id/1730/s/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-standard-edition-ps4/category/264/

I guess these are just the case and cartridge/disc right? They did release a PS4 standard previously, not sure they did for Switch.

Took so damn long to get an order through but finally got an order for Ys Viii on PS4 done. With $9 in rewards points it ended up being $40 after shipping / tax so pretty decent

Dang sold out. I tried to put it in my cart earlier but it kept crashing. Thought I could go back later and try again but no dice.

Wonder how many they had. And how could they sell out so fast (scalpers buying multiples?)
I'm sure it will come back. And they're pretty good about notifying you when stock is back when you sign up for that alert on the product page. Danganronpa Trilogy has already come back multiple times.

Anyone know when Play Asia does their free-shipping promos? I only heard about the Summer one and Lunar New Year last year, but that's about it. If they have something for Black Friday/Christmas then I'll just get it then.

Debating if I want Danganronpa trilogy physical or digital. I've never played it, so I'm thinking more digital ($20 on PC total) versus the physical.
I'll probably get physical given how I believe the switch version has some bonus mini-game with it. Danganronpa also seems to get limited prints like most Spike-Chunsoft games and I don't want to regret not getting it a year from now.

Sounds about right. The summer is every year I believe and the other one happens yearly as well. I only order games at those times haha. I don't think they offer free shipping at the end of the year.

Heads up, Amazon has some copies of Mary Skelter 2 for the Switch.  Make sure you choose the one for $49.99 direct from Amazon. Says it will ship mid October for me so they are getting stock from somewhere (copies LRG couldn’t sell maybe?)

Hasn’t been posted by Wario yet so get on it before it shows up there and resellers snatch it up.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084DLSPXQ/

Thanks I have it digitally already, but getting Mary Skelter F I may as well have both physically. For anyone that doesn't know the Mary Skelter 1 story is in 2. The third game has summaries of the first 2 so better to play 2.

Oh neat, thanks!

If you have a Best Buy credit card, cardmember appreciation month starts in a couple of days too. May be able to combine with a 10% code, $5 reward cert or something. Though most of it is usually offers for long term financing blah blah.

Sounds about right. The summer is every year I believe and the other one happens yearly as well. I only order games at those times haha. I don't think they offer free shipping at the end of the year.
Yup, that sounds right to me. Nowadays, I'll only pick up games during those F/S promos, too.

So it seems both launched on gamepass but I only have hdd space for 1 of them right now. Which is the more enjoyed game here: Scarlet Nexus or AI Somnium Files

Mangagamer released Namaiki Dark Elf Sisters ~Cocky Chicks Craving Creampies~. When I'm in the mood for a nukige I'll play it and give a review. Looks like stupid fun.

Mangagamer's next release is Love Sweets. It releases on October 28th, 2021 and has a 10% discount. Moonstone are a great developer of VNs so this is an easy purchase. It's not very likely this one comes to Steam.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

On me playing some visual novels I've been playing Harem Kingdom from SMEE. Honestly this is a big step below previous SMEE games and I'm very likely to quit after another playthrough. Have beat 1 route so far. Will give a mini review after I finish another route or drop it.

I'd recommend AI especially since the next game comes out next year. I've heard the story is pretty good. Scarlet Nexus was a surprise for some but dropped quickly in price and was seen as a pretty good game overall. Likely worth playing but I'd go for the former first. I haven't played either, but this is what I've heard.

So it seems both launched on gamepass but I only have hdd space for 1 of them right now. Which is the more enjoyed game here: Scarlet Nexus or AI Somnium Files
I didn't care too much for scarlet Nexus. Very much a god eater like. So if you like that series then you may like it.

I'm not a big fan of the nonary games and ai is by the same guy.

Haven't played SN - downloaded it on pc today though.

I really like somnium files. I've only played Virtue's Last Reward, so I won't speak in reference to the past work. Somnium files is a fun investigative vn (lots of background interactions) that had some really creative and satisfying plot developments. There's definitely some thnigs you need to tolerate though - tropey stuff (idol culture, maid cafes, etc) and one particular song they force you to listen to several times.

When I was going through my PS3 library I noticed I had the PS1 classic Grandia on it already.  So... I feel like the smart decision for me right now is to try and play it and see how much I enjoy it and then hit PA for their physical release on switch if I think I'll seriously play it.

The last week or so... I haven't even played a single game.  Been kind of nice taking a break after playing at least some of SOOOOOO many games.   Not sure how many games I'm selling, but the last I counted it was about 460 games (a few I gave to one of my kids)... and then just about 200 in the save pile.  I have some pricey games my oldest son wants (FE Fates Special Edition, FE Echoes Limited Edition, Pokemon Emerald... all complete of course)... I think it's about $800 for those three combined.   I may give them to him... and then let my other kids pick out about the same $$$ worth of games if they want anything to legit play and keep long term.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon is getting a PS4/Switch game.

1632365477820.jpg

Text around the characters says “Fly, shoot, strike” and “Super!! Refreshing Shooting.” Combined with Tooru, Kanna, and Elma’s poses, sounds like a shmup or shooter.
Looks like the devs behind Raiden and Caladrius are making this.

Both are great imo. Depends on what you're looking to play. Scarlet Nexus is a really fun action game, it'll take about 35 hours for one playthrough. Ai Somnium is mostly a VN but the animations and dialogue makes it feel more involved than a typical vn. Still mostly an adventure mystery game.

So I mentioned this in the Target clearance thread, since some people mentioned you could use that YMMV 40% off video games Circle coupon on it, but I've been playing Ys IX on the PS4 and I think it's just ok. I stated that I felt the narrative and characters were boring and the exploration suffered from the areas lacking variety (though the combat is fun and the verticality of the dungeons and the hub area are pretty cool). Now, I admit that the game has gotten better the more I've played it (I'm a bit into chapter 6), but I just don't think it's as exciting as VIII or Origin (which I consider the two best games in the series). The characters are fine, if not a little cliched (but Hawk is my boy) and I don't feel the same connection to them that I felt to the castaways in VIII. As I said in the other forum, if this is your first Ys game, it's a fine start, but it's far from the best in the series.

However, the one thing I'm really intrigued by in IX is 
why the heck are there two Adols?!
And I love how the game so far has been kind of playing this off like it's normal, like nothing's wrong, nothing to see here, just keep playing. That, I like. No one tell me the answer, I gotta find out myself!

I didn't care too much for scarlet Nexus. Very much a god eater like. So if you like that series then you may like it.
Scarlet Nexus is nothing like God Eater lol, other than the anime aesthetic anyway. It leans more into the character action side of action games, though very simplified. I see a lot of people compare the gameplay to Nier Automata which I'd agree with in the sense that both of them are very stripped down. But they don't have a lot in common other than that.

But anyway, I finally got around to getting the plat trophy back in August which requires playing through it on both sides. It's a fun action game but the story pacing is its biggest enemy. The way the game flows they throw all the major story cutscenes and character bond episodes at you back to back. It starts to get overbearing, especially later in the game when you have a full party. It creates this experience where you play the game for like an hour and then you spend like an hour watching story cutscenes and bond episodes. That wouldn't be so bad if the writing was better, but it's all pretty run of the mill stuff you've seen in a million JRPGs. Not bad, just bland.

My only advice for anyone that decides to check out the game: if you start it as Kasane and don't really like it, give Yuito a try. One of the main topics I see on the SN reddit and such is people asking why the game is boring and if it gets more fun as you go. And in pretty much every case they were playing as Kasane. After having finally played through the game as both characters, yeah it makes sense. She is not fun at all, had I played through with her first it probably would have soured me on the whole experience. For some reason they designed her to be slower than Yuito and have a bigger focus on AOE attacks. Which is totally intentional according to the devs despite the fact you spend most of the game fighting like 1 or 2 enemies at a time. Like she's just poorly designed on a base level and it confuses the heck out of me.

She is also objectively weaker as well. Late game when you're unlocking the final bond abilities Yuito has one that is extremely powerful that Kasane just doesn't get for whatever reason. Best example of how extreme the difference is: it took me longer to beat the final boss with Kasane on NG+ with her post-game "ultimate" weapon (stats and equipment carries over, enemies do not scale for some reason) than it did with Yuito on NG. It's one of the most unbalanced action games I've played in recent memory.

I haven't played AI Somnium Files, but to me Scarlet Nexus was AMAZING for the first 10 hours and then absolutely mediocre for the next 25. The battle system is really fun at first, but eventually I just lowered the difficulty to the easiest setting to get through the game faster. And the story goes from really interesting and gripping at first to completely dumb by the end. And as someone said earlier, the character events just get beyond tedious.

So if you're someone who never finishes games, go with Scarlet Nexus, lol.

AI Somnium Files is around 24 for just the story and 30 hours to do absolutely everything in the game.  Scarlet Nexus is around the same for just the story and over 60 if you do everything.    I would go with AI Somnium Files first since you can clear that and then delete it and download Scarlet Nexus.  Assuming you want to play both.

Scarlet Nexus is nothing like God Eater lol, other than the anime aesthetic anyway. It leans more into the character action side of action games, though very simplified. I see a lot of people compare the gameplay to Nier Automata which I'd agree with in the sense that both of them are very stripped down. But they don't have a lot in common other than that.

But anyway, I finally got around to getting the plat trophy back in August which requires playing through it on both sides. It's a fun action game but the story pacing is its biggest enemy. The way the game flows they throw all the major story cutscenes and character bond episodes at you back to back. It starts to get overbearing, especially later in the game when you have a full party. It creates this experience where you play the game for like an hour and then you spend like an hour watching story cutscenes and bond episodes. That wouldn't be so bad if the writing was better, but it's all pretty run of the mill stuff you've seen in a million JRPGs. Not bad, just bland.

My only advice for anyone that decides to check out the game: if you start it as Kasane and don't really like it, give Yuito a try. One of the main topics I see on the SN reddit and such is people asking why the game is boring and if it gets more fun as you go. And in pretty much every case they were playing as Kasane. After having finally played through the game as both characters, yeah it makes sense. She is not fun at all, had I played through with her first it probably would have soured me on the whole experience. For some reason they designed her to be slower than Yuito and have a bigger focus on AOE attacks. Which is totally intentional according to the devs despite the fact you spend most of the game fighting like 1 or 2 enemies at a time. Like she's just poorly designed on a base level and it confuses the heck out of me.

She is also objectively weaker as well. Late game when you're unlocking the final bond abilities Yuito has one that is extremely powerful that Kasane just doesn't get for whatever reason. Best example of how extreme the difference is: it took me longer to beat the final boss with Kasane on NG+ with her post-game "ultimate" weapon (stats and equipment carries over, enemies do not scale for some reason) than it did with Yuito on NG. It's one of the most unbalanced action games I've played in recent memory.
It's a lot like God eater. The setting, characters and gameplay are all using similar stuff. Brain smashing finisher mechanic is similar to using the god eater to remove a monsters core.
Post apocalyptic world with giant monsters caused by stupid scientists. Organization created for fighting monsters run by people who have magical powers that can turn them into monsters if they use them too much. And that gameplay works very much like God eater. Only with even more button layout overlap. The one major difference is that instead of God eater weapon swapping you switch between powers of party members.

I haven't played it yet, but can confirm it looks very God Eater-esque. Anyone who played GE would think Scarlet Nexus looked similar from videos. I don't know what "character action side" means. How is it different from GE? It looks like it has more social links, and that's really the biggest difference.

I mean, the gameplay is pretty different. I can’t speak for Zenax, but I would assume that’s what he meant. God Eater is a monhun clone, while Scarlet Nexus is trying to be more of a typical action game.

To add to Souffrir's opinion, Scarlet Nexus is what I thought God Eater was in the past (anime style action game) until I played God Eater and found out it was more Monster-Hunter-ish.

True there is more monster hunter focus in God eater compared to Scarlett Nexus.

Also as a warning the electric tree boss sucks so much as well as the running section.

It's like comparing Final Fantasy XV and Monster Hunter World. Yea, it's an odd comparison.
If you go by killing monsters on hunts in 15 I could see the comparison but other than that they have nothing else in common. Well besides being action titles but the gameplay style is different.

Well, Square Enix finally made a Final Fantasy soulslike / God of War clone.  I've been playing Stranger of Paradise - Final Fantasy Origin demo and it seems pretty competent.  I suppose that is to be expected when its being made by KOEI and Team Ninja.  So it feels just like Nioh and presents very similarly to GoW, but with FF loadouts and customization.  Should be an easy shoo-in for 80+ metacritic, and an automatic must-play for most soulslike fans. 

Well, Square Enix finally made a Final Fantasy soulslike / God of War clone. I've been playing Stranger of Paradise - Final Fantasy Origin demo and it seems pretty competent. I suppose that is to be expected when its being made by KOEI and Team Ninja. So it feels just like Nioh and presents very similarly to GoW, but with FF loadouts and customization. Should be an easy shoo-in for 80+ metacritic, and an automatic must-play for most soulslike fans.
Interesting, I may need to put that on my radar when it goes on sale then. I haven't followed it at all.

bread's done
Back