Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of new interesting VN and eroge releases this week.

To start JAST USA released Sweet Sacrifices. This one has a lot of tentacles and demons and stuff. It's about sacrificed princesses and some saint that is taken as a pawn by the devil. It is two smaller games bundled together. This isn't my forte, but it's someone's for sure.

JAST USA Store (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune released Saimin Gakushū: Secret Desire. In this one you are a guy who is humiliated by the student council president and is slapped in front of everyone for being a lazy bum I believe. He gets angry and starts studying hard, but realizes he is way too lazy, so he downloads a hypnosis app. He aims to make this girl his first victim when he realizes it works. He also aims for another student, a teacher and his own mother. These type of eroges are also not my forte, but can be OK. There is a 20% off price and it's only available on Johren.

Johren Store (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune is also releasing Alice Soft's Dohna Dohna next Friday 10/29. It's also only coming out on Johren. This is pretty awesome and if you haven't played an Alicesoft game they are usually RPG games with lots and lots of eroge elements. I quite liked Evenicle and most like the Rance games. This one has a cool look and has futuristic stuff which is good enough for me. An easy purchase.

VNDB (NSFW)

An eroge game with a strong reputation came out as well. This is Abaddon: Princess of the Decay. I believe this is a remake of an older release. This I believe is a horror RPG or something. It's out on Fakku and itch.io. I may play it someday to see the hype, as it's compared to Sweet Home, which is a classic.

Fakku (NSFW)

itch.io (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Nekonyansoft released Renai Karichaimashita: Koikari - Love For Hire. This is more my style and has some comedy with a guy who is a siscon. His sister says she wont go to college unless he does, so he goes for jobs to earn some money. He finds high playing ones which sound like a scam, and he gets to fill different roles for the job like a brother, a pretend boyfriend and some other stuff. This has great art and is available to purchase at many places. I buy these on Steam, but it's on JAST USA, Denpasoft, and Mangagamer. A 10% discount is available right now. Also provided is an 18+ patch for the Steam version. Easy buy!

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Also Letters From a Rainy Day -Oceans and Lace- was released on various platforms. It is all ages yuri VN about girls in an all girls school in Japan. Looks aight. There is a 15% release discount.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

So looking into collecting the Trails of Cold Steel series since it's the last PS4 era JRPG series I want to collect. Is there any reason to buy the PS4 versions over the PC version or vise versa? Debating if I want to go hunting the PS4 discs or get them on Steam sale.

So looking into collecting the Trails of Cold Steel series since it's the last PS4 era JRPG series I want to collect. Is there any reason to buy the PS4 versions over the PC version or vise versa? Debating if I want to go hunting the PS4 discs or get them on Steam sale.
Since I have these on all versions, I'd say there are pros and cons to each. Both versions are overall good experiences, and should be played over ps3/vita if possible.

CSI-CSII
ps4: updated UI & higher res elements. cosmetic dlc included. draw distance still not great. nice steelbooks, but expensive now.
pc: more settings to tweak, such as higher resolutions & unlimited draw distance. less modern/optimized UI. dlc available but not included. moddable.

CSIII-IV: These are more clearly superior on PC if you have the hardware to run them well. PC versions were released later and still have higher sale prices than console. The physical LE's are nice but the standard editions only have nisa's lame "art booklet" for ants.

Since I have these on all versions, I'd say there are pros and cons to each. Both versions are overall good experiences, and should be played over ps3/vita if possible.

CSI-CSII
ps4: updated UI & higher res elements. cosmetic dlc included. draw distance still not great. nice steelbooks, but expensive now.
pc: more settings to tweak, such as higher resolutions & unlimited draw distance. less modern/optimized UI. dlc available but not included. moddable.

CSIII-IV: These are more clearly superior on PC if you have the hardware to run them well. PC versions were released later and still have higher sale prices than console. The physical LE's are nice but the standard editions only have nisa's lame "art booklet" for ants.
Thanks, i'm running a RX-570 as my GPU so I can run all of them on Steam fine. I will look to see if I can find the PS4 versions of 1-2 for cheap if not i'll consider the PC route. For 3-4 i'll consider Steam. I don't mind having multiple systems for games.

It's also worth noting that the PS4 versions have save Carry over to the other ones for little extras, and the PS4 versions of cs1 and cs2 include the fixed voice work and other stuff that the PC versions later got. It's really noticable in cs1 since rean the main character has scattershot voice work where he's mute the one moment then talks the next in the same scenes where everyone else is fully voiced including nameless npcs.

Also there's switch version of 3 and 4 in case you are interested. Not sure if or when 1 and 2 will be ported.

Here's some quick thoughts on Renai Karichaimashita: Koikari - Love For Hire. First of all the voice acting is excellent, the graphics are well drawn and the UI is nice. The story itself is quite a bit shallow, but makes up for it with a lot of comedy. I feel two of the girls are the main routes and the other ones aren't as they they get almost a second common path just for them. There is a lot of jokes and some of them are good fun. All the main characters have quirks and some are pretty funny and unique. This isn't a game for those expecting a serious story. I did the twins route only so far and it pretty much just ended whenever and the epilogue was near garbage. It had no depth but had a bunch of quirky fetish twins. It's a good game, though I feel not a great one. It will not leave any impression on me after I'm done unless the main characters routes are good. The teacher's route is next and I expect it to be cute, but nothing special. There other localized game Sankaku Renai: Love Triangle Trouble I feel was also a bit shallow but had funnier characters and maybe a tiny bit more deepness as well. It is about a 7/10 but comes recommended at least.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/playstation-4/products/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii/205953 is 15.99 for the ps4 version preowned at gamestop. too bad its a buck over as you could pair it in the 3 15$ titles for 30 deal they supposedly have going.
Wtf...I just picked up a pre-owned copy at a local store for $29.99 back on 10/15.

I thought it was relatively hard to find (I haven't seen a physical copy in a long time) and definitely didn't expect it to be almost half price less than 2 weeks later!

Oh well, at least it came with all the 'Early Enrollment Edition' bonus stuff and is in excellent condition.

Zengeon sold out quick... pretty much about as fast as when I posted that Disgaea 6 deal.

Other than Nino Kuni 2 on the switch I already own pretty much everything I think I currently want.  When it hits $25... I'll grab a copy.  If I completely miss it for some reason I won't be upset as I have plenty to play.

I opted to go with the standard edition of Neptunia x Senran Kagura.

I took advantage of the Gamestop offer of renewing PowerUP Pro for $9.99 + get enough bonus points for signing up for a $10 cert and had enough for $10 stashed already.

I wasn't sure if I'd get the monthly $5 one for October, but I figured I'd give it a try and pre-order from them.

They didn't get it in and aren't sure when they will :p

In their defense they said they could transfer my preorder to another store that did have one in stock, I just didn't want to drive out to it.

Wtf...I just picked up a pre-owned copy at a local store for $29.99 back on 10/15.

I thought it was relatively hard to find (I haven't seen a physical copy in a long time) and definitely didn't expect it to be almost half price less than 2 weeks later!

Oh well, at least it came with all the 'Early Enrollment Edition' bonus stuff and is in excellent condition.
I already have my copy from when they did the 50% off sale a while back for around this price ^_^. cs3 has a lot of copies compared to 4 but they did start to dry up for a time probably due to inventory issues and stock drying up. Since these are supposedly coming from the warehouse in texas odds are they are returns so whether they will be complete or not is as usual ymmv.

I already have my copy from when they did the 50% off sale a while back for around this price ^_^. cs3 has a lot of copies compared to 4 but they did start to dry up for a time probably due to inventory issues and stock drying up. Since these are supposedly coming from the warehouse in texas odds are they are returns so whether they will be complete or not is as usual ymmv.
I stopped by a different store today and was able to get a price adjustment of $14 back on my trade card! :D

I noticed this store also had copy of the game so I'm thinking it might be a stealth reprint situation (like Gravity Rush Remastered). Both my copy and the copy I saw today were in like-new condition aside from the right edge of the spine being scraped up (which I've heard is how Gamestop opens sealed games).

Either way I got the game for $15.99 in the end so I'm happy! :)

Yeah a stealth reprint could be possible given that GameStop did that recently with fist of the north star and gravity rush got like 3 or 4 reprints. Hmm I wonder if Xenoblade 2 torna and Ys 8 we're also reprints as they came back in stock as well.

Another possibility is that they converted new yo used for cs3.

We'll know for sure when people's copies arrive and if they have the stringy plastic on the cases like the other games did and or missing inserts and such.

Anywho finished tales of arise-ia. It was ok not great but not terrible like zesty was. I'd probably say that it was worse than berseria though.

I saw that so6 announcement trailer. That's a surprise as I thought for sure that series was dead after 5 bombed. It looks so so. Lot of different things going on. It being a seemingly huge open world game could turn into a slog if it's similar to so4.

nonary games ps4 was reprinted
came from tx in grey mailer, pristine with same sticker as gravity rush

Took me a second to figure out what SO6 was (Star Ocean 6).  Looking at the trailer, I'd be down to play that.   I love open world exploration.  If it weren't just PS4 & 5 I'd put it on my radar.   For now I'll keep it in mind if/when I venture back onto the PS platforms.

Took me a second to figure out what SO6 was (Star Ocean 6). Looking at the trailer, I'd be down to play that. I love open world exploration. If it weren't just PS4 & 5 I'd put it on my radar. For now I'll keep it in mind if/when I venture back onto the PS platforms.
It's on Xbox and Steam as well, though I am assuming you'd be more interested in a Switch port?

I am actually a bit surprised they're not trying to put it on Switch, it's not exactly the best looking game ever or anything. Feels like one they could actually get running on the console if they wanted.

I just want Squenix to give us the enhanced version of Star Ocean 2. It's so weird that that's the one they chose not to localize considering it's often lauded as the best in the series.

It's on Xbox and Steam as well, though I am assuming you'd be more interested in a Switch port?

I am actually a bit surprised they're not trying to put it on Switch, it's not exactly the best looking game ever or anything. Feels like one they could actually get running on the console if they wanted.
Yeah I mostly just play switch. I used to be big into pc gaming but just can't bring myself to have a good pc setup at home as I am already working with pc's all day at work. PS4/5 would be where I'd go for this ... though would highly prefer switch.

Yeah I mostly just play switch. I used to be big into pc gaming but just can't bring myself to have a good pc setup at home as I am already working with pc's all day at work. PS4/5 would be where I'd go for this ... though would highly prefer switch.
I feel this.

Something nice about consoles now is that most use similar power/AV cables. The Series X, PS5, PS3, and Vita TV can all use the same power cord/HDMI cable so I just leave those connected and free in a few spots, then settle down wherever I feel like it.

..Moving a Wii U around is a bad time, in case you were wondering.

I feel this.

Something nice about consoles now is that most use similar power/AV cables. The Series X, PS5, PS3, and Vita TV can all use the same power cord/HDMI cable so I just leave those connected and free in a few spots, then settle down wherever I feel like it.
I haven’t looked into it and I don’t know a whole lot about electronics, but wouldn’t these have different power requirements? I mean you could run a Vita TV off of a higher power output than it requires, but is there a chance of damaging it?

I haven’t looked into it and I don’t know a whole lot about electronics, but wouldn’t these have different power requirements? I mean you could run a Vita TV off of a higher power output than it requires, but is there a chance of damaging it?
Maybe he means the standard C7 cable? Vita/PS3/PS4 uses that. I don't remember what the PS5 uses, and I don't have a Series X.

ZAUDnTr.png

I partially only know because I just hooked up my PS3 by swapping it with my PS4 a couple weeks ago to upload my Borderlands 2 saves.

The digital game they're sending out is for the ps4 version, correct? I have slight interest in the game & might be interested in trading if anyone is looking to get rid of an extra code.

They all have internal power supplies*. The followup reply is correct that I just meant it uses a standard power cable, which then connects to the internal PSU to handle the correct delivery.

*The one exception technically is the Vita TV, which has the power brick - In this case it's the same standard power cable that connects to the brick from the wall, then plugs into the Vita TV.

I think the PS2 and PS4 also use the same cable. (I have a Pro though, not sure)

Yeah a stealth reprint could be possible given that GameStop did that recently with fist of the north star and gravity rush got like 3 or 4 reprints. Hmm I wonder if Xenoblade 2 torna and Ys 8 we're also reprints as they came back in stock as well.
Ys 8 was reprinted by NISA (both NS and PS4), they sold them on their webstore a few weeks ago. They didn't last long but there we enough copies to kill off the after market values.

Again sucks because I paid quite a bit for a used PS4 copy because I never thought a reprint would happen...:whistle2:/

Can confirm cs3 ps4 was indeed a reprint. It has the same markings as their other reprints with the frayed plastic on the spine from the machine they use to open them. What's odd is that it includes all the extras since normally the reprints don't.

NIS America did do reprints of a few titles a few months back. so YS was probably a reprint for sure

I'm still waiting for my last order to ship which should soon when the Fatal Frame game comes out. I have that and Super Robot Wars 30 waiting when it releases. Has there been any newer Asian-English releases or JPN games with eng subs including VNS announced lately? May take a look at Play-Asia and see if anything new is good and coming.

I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 2:08am and had an e-mail from NISA 6min. prior stating that the Ys IX PS4 CE was back in stock, and I was able to score one!  :bouncy:

Ooooh... free shipping from PA... it might be time for me to do another deep dive on that site and see if there's anything I want.
Got excited for a moment, but looks like it's only for orders $49 or higher. Was planning on picking up Fatal Frame, but shipping wouldn't be free. :cry:

For anyone who pre-ordered Fatal Frame on the switch on play-asia, you can claim the free Ryza content without the game so you have it when the game arrives after the offer dies on next week.

They really cheaped out with the weight limit this time. Was gonna grab the Hori taiko drum this time around since I passed on it in July when it had free shipping just to find out it's too heavy this time around to qualify. Need something to pair with Ultra Age but grabbed most of the good stuff last time.

bread's done
Back