Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I watch sub stuff as well and it varies by show how much concentration is needed. It's difficult to follow some stuff regardless at times when they talk like car salesman auctioneers on speed, red bull and coke.

I'm somewhat enjoying the new show faraway paladin. Especially the realistic dialogue between the grandson and his grandfather in a couple episodes.

I miss fansubs though since the good ones color coded characters dialogue or put their names up so you can better follow along who is talking. Since sometimes there's multiple characters talking with similar voices (or 2 or more characters have the same va) which gets confusing.

Anyone else order Blue Reflection 2 as part of Target's B2G1F sale just have their order canceled? This shit with Target is so annoying- they'll ask you to approve the delays and then cancel your order. 

Anyone else order Blue Reflection 2 as part of Target's B2G1F sale just have their order canceled? This shit with Target is so annoying- they'll ask you to approve the delays and then cancel your order.
Target canceled one of my B2G1 items with no notification. That game has not gone OOS at all, I was kinda passed when I found out

Yup, and I really hate how they phrased it like "Oh darn, someone snatched up the last one. Sorry about that!" when I approved the delay 3 times. Now I'm really glad I got a copy from Gamestop during their New B2G1.

I ended up cancelling mine and bought one on Amazon for $53. Figured it was going to be cancelled anyway and didn't want to miss out on a physical copy.

Which version is getting canceled by Target,  PS4 or Switch?  I had a Switch version delivered from Target 2 days ago but am still waiting on a PS4 version (though it has not been canceled yet).  I did order within 2 hours of the sale going live so I was fairly early on it.

I received my copy of Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (Japanese PS4 version) from playasia today.  There is no English patch.  Patch was supposed to be available on Nov 30th.  I also noticed playasia removed the mention of English off of the listing.  That's great.  Asian PS4, Asian and Japanese Switch all have the English patch.

Which version is getting canceled by Target, PS4 or Switch? I had a Switch version delivered from Target 2 days ago but am still waiting on a PS4 version (though it has not been canceled yet). I did order within 2 hours of the sale going live so I was fairly early on it.
Mine was PS4.

I received my copy of Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (Japanese PS4 version) from playasia today. There is no English patch. Patch was supposed to be available on Nov 30th. I also noticed playasia removed the mention of English off of the listing. That's great. Asian PS4, Asian and Japanese Switch all have the English patch.
They tweeted about it here, but it's buried underneath a bunch of marketing nonsense and their weirdly obsessive tweeting about their V-Tuber mascot: https://twitter.com/playasia/status/1466108826319724544

I'm kinda surprised they were marketing the CERO copy as having English to begin with. There are exceptions, but in my experience CERO games on PlayStation almost never include English as an option - like <1% of the time. Either way, hopefully they give you a refund/return, their CS is usually good whenever I have an issue.

I received my copy of Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (Japanese PS4 version) from playasia today. There is no English patch. Patch was supposed to be available on Nov 30th. I also noticed playasia removed the mention of English off of the listing. That's great. Asian PS4, Asian and Japanese Switch all have the English patch.
Really bonkers that KT decided to handle the English audio and subs this way for the physical release. Talk about screwing over (probably) older gamers who actually give (gave?) A sh%t about that franchise.

It's the last time I support a Fatal Frame release. I only buy physical games and this is easily one of the dumbest things I've seen.

I want to get Blue Reflection 2, but I'm also a tighass and $53 for a game is still high.  But it's also a KT release, meaning they explode if they sell out.

Sigh.

I want to get Blue Reflection 2, but I'm also a tighass and $53 for a game is still high. But it's also a KT release, meaning they explode if they sell out.

Sigh.
Price match at Best Buy, do store pickup & extend it as much as possible . If the prices reduces in next few days, buy it or get it adjusted at that price. If it does not drop or goes out of stock, pickup your order. Even after pickup, you have extended holiday return period, so there is that too

I still need to play that, so behind on game releases from this year. I assume that was a real grindy plat like most Musou titles?
Oh yeah, you had to hit level 99 BOND, which is basically the skill tree of the game. I beat the game on Normal at under 60 hours and I had only hit like level 58. So grinding in the post game was a nightmare. It was really the only horrible trophy, too. The rest were pretty basic.

I still need to play that, so behind on game releases from this year. I assume that was a real grindy plat like most Musou titles?
Plays more like a persona game actually (spam skill hit weakness, all-out attack etc), can be played like musou if on easy/normal. There's a ng+ only merciless mode, even max out persona with 99 stats gets 1-2 shots, pretty intense/fun.

Yep p5s is next for me as well. I was waiting for the steam version to drop further but ended up caving. Grabbed the ps4 version below $20 in a gs b2g1 a couple weeks ago.

It's possible that it just isn't selling at the higher price. Especially since target them and Amazon had it for about that price in the buy 2 get 1.

As someone who has no clue what Another Eden is but thinks Chrono Cross is a masterpiece, this makes me so happy: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqYEivU9_Bg&feature=emb_title 

Time's Scar will forever be my favorite video game track, always get chills when it plays.  

What the heck?  So it's a mobile jrpg that's taking the Chorno Cross skin and some music?!?  I see Frog, Harle, and Kid.  That's crazy that SE would do that with their property. 

Another Eden: The Cat Beyond Time and Space x Chrono Cross crossover announced

Another-Eden-x-Chrono-Cross-Announce_12-04-21.jpg

It's also weird since frog is a trigger character not a cross one like harley surge and kiddo.  Just noticed alien dude in that picture from cross. So that's 4 cross characters then. white white black and red color wise. 

That’s apparently not Frog, it’s a character from Another Eden itself named Cyrus.

For the record, Another Eden’s director and writer is Masato Kato, who’s also responsible for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. This would seem to be the reason for the similarities to Chrono Trigger as well as this crossover.

His name is Starky. Anyway this is a travesty. Painful to see.
This honestly feels akin to profiteering off of dead celebs but... this middle aged man had a huge smile on his face hearing that music and seeing CC characters in modern visuals.

It sucks that the rumors of a remake are probably not true but this aesthetic is really nice. I would love it if SE remastered some games (Xenogears, Vagrant Story) like this. But man, I completely forgot that the characters in CC had accents though, it's pretty hilarious to hear them here (Kid around 1:10, Harle around 1:20):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxUo4j1rIOM

It may be worth pointing out once again that this game is written and directed by Masato Kato, who wrote Chrono Trigger, and wrote and directed Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers. I mean, a mobile crossover may not be the most ideal scenario for seeing those characters return, but calling it a travesty or profiteering feels premature.

Note that Amazon has an offer of $10 off if you pickup from an Amazon locker location. You need to enter the code “10PICKUPCODE” during checkout

Used it to bring down blue reflection 2 to $43, which is pretty close to B2G1 discount

Note that Amazon has an offer of $10 off if you pickup from an Amazon locker location. You need to enter the code “10PICKUPCODE” during checkout

Used it to bring down blue reflection 2 to $43, which is pretty close to B2G1 discount
Anyone have a link to the details? Wondering if it’s effective even if you took advantage of the same offer they had a couple months ago.

This is an old offer. Surprised it's still active.

Idea Factory's Online Store posted a Holiday Sale with some decent discounts/restocks and Free US Shipping for orders of $57.99 or more:

https://www.iffysonlinestore.com/holiday-2021/

I grabbed the following games for $19.99 each:

PS4 - Azur Lane: Crosswave

PS4 - Death end re;Quest
PS4 - Death end re;Quest 2
Thank you!! I got in an order for Death end re;Quest 1-2 without having to pay scalper prices.

So I started dragon quest 8 today on my ps2 and I've encountered the strangest thing I've ever seen.  I started it and the l3 is the x button, square works for the map, r3 does 1st person mode, start takes you to a talking thing with Yangus and select to a menu with trode for the mons you have fought and such.    I tried 3 different controllers and 3 different black slim ps2's and encountered the same issue on all of them.  I haven't used my main in a while and the other 2 are backups I haven't used at all. The one ps2 controller and such was still in the box with the receipt from best buy from 2007 iirc and the controller was still in the plastic untouched and wrapped.  So I'm not sure what I can do to fix this problem and I have a few ps2 titles still in my backlog so if I can't fix it that will suck.

So I started dragon quest 8 today on my ps2 and I've encountered the strangest thing I've ever seen. I started it and the l3 is the x button, square works for the map, r3 does 1st person mode, start takes you to a talking thing with Yangus and select to a menu with trode for the mons you have fought and such. I tried 3 different controllers and 3 different black slim ps2's and encountered the same issue on all of them. I haven't used my main in a while and the other 2 are backups I haven't used at all. The one ps2 controller and such was still in the box with the receipt from best buy from 2007 iirc and the controller was still in the plastic untouched and wrapped. So I'm not sure what I can do to fix this problem and I have a few ps2 titles still in my backlog so if I can't fix it that will suck.
With the exception of L3 acting as X /R3 acting like R2, which is definitely odd, that sounds like it's the controls for the game:

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_VIII:_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King/Controls

Is it an official first party controller? I'm wondering if it has some kind of button combination to hold you can toggle between modes/remaps or something, if it's third-party.

With the exception of L3 acting as X /R3 acting like R2, which is definitely odd, that sounds like it's the controls for the game:

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_VIII:_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King/Controls

Is it an official first party controller? I'm wondering if it has some kind of button combination to hold you can toggle between modes/remaps or something, if it's third-party.
as I said though triangle circle and x aren't doing anything. Controller wise all 3 are regular corded ps2 controllers that came with the systems. the one was still brand new and unopened even. I tried plugging them in only part way, using different slots and what have you and nothing seemed to work. But it repeated across 3 different ps2 slims.

So I started dragon quest 8 today on my ps2 and I've encountered the strangest thing I've ever seen. I started it and the l3 is the x button, square works for the map, r3 does 1st person mode, start takes you to a talking thing with Yangus and select to a menu with trode for the mons you have fought and such. I tried 3 different controllers and 3 different black slim ps2's and encountered the same issue on all of them. I haven't used my main in a while and the other 2 are backups I haven't used at all. The one ps2 controller and such was still in the box with the receipt from best buy from 2007 iirc and the controller was still in the plastic untouched and wrapped. So I'm not sure what I can do to fix this problem and I have a few ps2 titles still in my backlog so if I can't fix it that will suck.
The cockroaches inside your machine remapped the buttons. :oldman: :ps2:

Ah my bad, I saw it posted on Twitter yesterday morning and assumed the sale had just started since it's listed as a 'Holiday 2021' sale (as opposed to Black Friday/Cyber Week/etc).
You can repost deals; it's just a heads up that it's the same sale and you might have already missed some stuff.

And you can go back and see what else is for sale that people think is a good deal, etc.

bread's done
Back