Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
raise has a 10 off 75 promo MERRY going on.  Works on eshop cards which are 46 for the 50 ones. 82 for 100 eshop isn't half bad. 

https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1468997522244861953?t=TLbO-izSCnI1uW_wuKyrOQ&s=19

There just might be additional discount on existing sale (Holiday 2021) starting Friday

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
Be interesting to see if the winning choice could really 5% or if they already predetermined 20% to get rid of remaining stock

Thanks for the heads up either way! I may pick up more stuff depending on what's discounted or try their CS to adjust if it's something I already ordered from when the sale started

Looks like I checked too late, most of the good stuff is sold out now. Death end request 2 is still available for those who were holding out.

Persona 4 Arena port is cool and everything but if they don't add rollback it's quite a missed opportunity. Cross-play would also be amazing but I know that's asking too much. 

Pre-orders are open for the Japanese physical PS4 and Switch release of Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold.  Amiami has the PS4 version for only $23.57.

Pre-orders are open for the Japanese physical PS4 and Switch release of Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold. Amiami has the PS4 version for only $23.57.
Any news on whether there will be English on-disc? The answer's typically no with CERO-rated games, but I hadn't seen confirmation one way or another.

Was shopping online over at gs looking for something to pair with Kingdoms of Amalur (Switch) for free shipping and stumbled on Lost Judgment (PS4).  This is the first time I can think of where a series I followed had a game that I just had no clue came out.  I'm getting old.  Grabbed both games.  Hopefully they come complete (bought both new)... as it'll be an immediate return otherwise.

Was shopping online over at gs looking for something to pair with Kingdoms of Amalur (Switch) for free shipping and stumbled on Lost Judgment (PS4). This is the first time I can think of where a series I followed had a game that I just had no clue came out. I'm getting old. Grabbed both games. Hopefully they come complete (bought both new)... as it'll be an immediate return otherwise.
This is why I buy everything from best buy and price match gamestop as needed, don't trust them to not ship me gutted games

Was shopping online over at gs looking for something to pair with Kingdoms of Amalur (Switch) for free shipping and stumbled on Lost Judgment (PS4). This is the first time I can think of where a series I followed had a game that I just had no clue came out. I'm getting old. Grabbed both games. Hopefully they come complete (bought both new)... as it'll be an immediate return otherwise.
gl getting lost judgement and not just judgement.

I bought both Judgment and Lost Judgment from GS during their BF week. I don't know, I just, really cannot get into Judgment. Not sure if it's the tacked on detective stuff, the many many hours I have already spent wandering the streets of Kamurocho, or some combination of the two. I just found myself strolling down the streets thinking back on all the times I have already been through here. Hell, I think I know those streets better than my own neighborhood. 

This is why I buy everything from best buy and price match gamestop as needed, don't trust them to not ship me gutted games
I didn't think of price matching. Usually I just buy from BB to avoid the hassle of GS... or the wrong region copies on Amazon.

gl getting lost judgement and not just judgement.
Yeah, pray for me people. I've done well with my new purchases from GS this year... so I'm probably due a fuck .

I bought both Judgment and Lost Judgment from GS during their BF week. I don't know, I just, really cannot get into Judgment. Not sure if it's the tacked on detective stuff, the many many hours I have already spent wandering the streets of Kamurocho, or some combination of the two. I just found myself strolling down the streets thinking back on all the times I have already been through here. Hell, I think I know those streets better than my own neighborhood.
I find myself not liking the main character as much. The setting is a bit same old too. I find the activities alright though and the side cases a little less engaging than the ones in Yakuza. His partner is OK, though a bit meatheadish, but he gets better. While I do feel Yakuza goes too goofy at times, I feel this one just feels a little less exciting. Also I'm a little more bored by law and all, so some of that stuff bores me a bit, but that's more just me. I'll still finish it eventually, but it's just aight. I think they kind of made the stuff a little more fun willing in the sequel, but you should finish the first before that.

Is there any legit website beyond Playasia to buy Fatal Frame 5 and maybe get it before xmas?

Playasia lied about the physical Japanese release having english support. So now I'm screwed. Returning it will cost money and I'm already out of $50 thanks to this waste of a disc. So now to play a game I've been waiting years to play, I have to buy yet another copy.

I'm not sure it will arrive before Christmas but VGP has it as well. Play-Asia's shipping is so slow too. Just kind of not in a good place. Also there are copies on Ebay, and the ones going to the US probably will make it before Christmas. Asian-English copies are harder to find at multiple places compared to say JPN copies.

Jesus $70. 

It's gonna cost me basically $120+ to play this game.

fuck this, I'm just going to pirate this at some point and break this Japanese disc. I'm tired of this game. 

Oh CAD. I guess that helps and it takes sezzle to help take the bite out buying the game again. Maybe if this website goes well I wont ever deal with Playasia again. 

Oh CAD. I guess that helps and it takes sezzle to help take the bite out buying the game again. Maybe if this website goes well I wont ever deal with Playasia again.
You can try J&L.

They're a bit pricey, but pretty reliable for imports and such. Not sure how much cheaper it will be compared to VGPlus though, but at least they're in the US assuming you in the US, though looking at the prices above, I assume it'd be a bit cheaper, since if you're US, free shipping for $50+ orders, so that should help too.

https://www.jnlgame.com/products/fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water-ps4-playstation-4-asia-import?_pos=2&_sid=acaf52f3a&_ss=r

I'm not sure it will arrive before Christmas but VGP has it as well. Play-Asia's shipping is so slow too. Just kind of not in a good place. Also there are copies on Ebay, and the ones going to the US probably will make it before Christmas. Asian-English copies are harder to find at multiple places compared to say JPN copies.
Wait... Is this the same version as the "English" version on PA? I thought this version was supposed to be English sub/dub on disc... otherwise, why did I buy this if it's a patch?

Pretty sure the English version was a patch. The issue was that the publisher originally said all versions would get the patch (JP and Asia). Then on release, JP version didn't get the patch.

Pretty sure the English version was a patch. The issue was that the publisher originally said all versions would get the patch (JP and Asia). Then on release, JP version didn't get the patch.
Yup. For whatever reason, KT did not put English on the disc/cartridge for the PS4 and Switch. What's even more bonkers is that KT provides the patch to both the Japanese and Asia release for Switch, but screwed folks who bought the PS4 Japanese version. Only the PS4 Asian release gets the patch.

They should have just delayed the physical release to put those on the disc/cartridge. They probably just pissed off a good number of their older base, who honestly are probably the only ones who even remember this franchise.

Easily one of the most bone-headed physical English releases I've ever seen. Made even stranger given that KT handled the Ninja Gaiden trilogy on PS4 correctky.

And this kind of nonsense is why I am gun-shy in pre-ordering imports.  Not that I blame Play-Asia, though they could do better to make it right.

I don't mind doing imports, but I try to avoid the Japanese region versions because it's not consistent what will have english included.  So I aim firmly at the asia versions unless it's after release and the JP version is 100% known to have english.  Not that I import a lot.

I don't mind doing imports, but I try to avoid the Japanese region versions because it's not consistent what will have english included. So I aim firmly at the asia versions unless it's after release and the JP version is 100% known to have english. Not that I import a lot.
Same as you. Don't buy a lot of imports, but will pick up the Asia versions for titles I really want that don't get physical releases in the States.

I don't preorder much but wanted to take advantage of PlayAsia no-minimum free shipping promo so added Fatal Frame to my cart.

KT (IMHO) really dropped the ball on how it handled the English language version here. It's not like 13 Sentinels where the dub was delayed because of Covid. At least Atlus included the subs on the disc. Fatal Frame's English subs/dub were done years ago for the Wii U version, so the way the PS4/Switch versions needed patches is simply unacceptable.

It certainly means I will never preorder imports again. I'll pay the extra shipping after knowing for sure what the publishers intend to do.

As for Fatal Frame, I've wanted to play this, so patched or on disc, it wasn't going to matter, though of course I'd prefer it be on disc.

I don't fault PlayAsia. It honestly looks like KT intentionally kept PlayAsia in the dark, too, and/or misled them so that it could keep sales. PlayAsia isn't going to lie to its customers to sell them one lousy game.

I like PlayAsia and the company has thus far been a very reliable place to buy imports. It's not a big company so I'm sure it's equally displeased at KT for leaving it to handle the consumer anger it had really nothing to do with.

Neptunia vs Senran Kagura for Switch/Steam announced by IFI, to be released sometime Spring 2022.

"This port will include a brand-new difficulty setting option to raise the stakes of battle, as well as the free Alternate Costume DLC for all characters!"

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I've been pretty obsessed with both Judgment games the past few months myself (hence the avatar change.) I really like true crime stuff irl but most games that actually cover these topics are adventure games. Which is fine, I've said before I am a big fan of like Ace Attorney and anything in that vein, but, I prefer action games in general. So having that story of tracking down a serial killer but in the wrapper of a Yakuza game just hits this perfect combination for me in a way I kinda never thought a game could. I mean I typically try not to play similar types of games back to back but I basically 100%'d Judgment and then went straight into Lost Judgment and did the same there.

Also helps that I think they really perfected their beat 'em up combat here. I thought Yakuza Kiwami 2 (and I assume 6 as it looks the same, I am just not there yet) was a massive step down in terms of gameplay so seeing them go back more in the direction of Kiwami/0 with stances and adding the fun wall jumps and sliding mechanics really grabbed me. And while I know going for higher difficulties isn't for everyone I love how they handled Legend in Judgment, disables auto saving so you have to take the long battles and consecutive fights a lot more seriously.

Lost Judgment on the other hand lol, they added so many new mechanics to the game that it's a complete cakewalk. Like I think it's generally more fun to play because of the new mechanics but I died like twice total, and neither of those were on Legend difficulty lol. But dang I can't lie having a real juggle system in a Yakuza game is super slick and you can get into some really fun combo stuff I never expected out of a game in this series.

A few VN announcements and a warning. I'll do the warning first. The copy of Study & Steady sold at Johren is extremely unstable. It's crashed so many times for me. Only thing I can see is changing the language to Japanese or maybe even Chinese and let the dialogue where it crashes go over, save and then switch it back to English. I thought it was only at the beginning, but it's happened on 3 of the paths as well. I somewhat like the characters in this sans one, but it is so frustrating I'm recommending not playing it how it is. I did download the newest update too.

For announcements Rewrite+ is releasing on Steam tomorrow December 17th. This doesn't include the fan disc. The changes are below:

— direction and scenario improvements by Tanaka Romeo
— voices for every character (except MC) from PSP version
— new CGs + original CGs improved too
— revised Mappie system
— tachie for Inoue

I haven't played it yet, so I'll give it a go.

Steam

JAST USA announced DeadΩAegis from metalogiq, and if you pre-order can play the short prequel to the game called DeadΩAegis Gaiden now. This game is about an elite defense force of magical girls infused with alien powers. This involves war and other dramas. Looks interesting enough. Game is set to release January 7th, 2021.

JAST USA (NSFW)
VNDB (NSFW)

NekoNyanSoft is releasing Hello Lady and it's fan disc in January 2022.

Mangagamer is releasing Trinoline Genesis coming January 20th, 2022.

Mangagamer Pre-order Page (NSFW)

JAST USA announced DeadΩAegis from metalogiq, and if you pre-order can play the short prequel to the game called DeadΩAegis Gaiden now. This game is about an elite defense force of magical girls infused with alien powers. This involves war and other dramas. Looks interesting enough. Game is set to release January 7th, 2021.

JAST USA (NSFW)
VNDB (NSFW)
DeadΩAegis looks interesting. Will pick it up in the new year but will probably refrain from reading it on the bus ;)

bread's done
Back