Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
New shelf! So much space... *drool*

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1477836931882885122

Happy New Years! My spending this year totaled over 5 figures just between BBY and GameStop. I would post pictures of my collection but some CAG members will get upset over duplicates.
Any of those members who get upset, just tell them to go check a calendar to realize it's 2022 on CAG. Who cares?

umaru-san-wink.gif

Hmm I just don't know if I would use a shelf like that. Unless I left it open all the time. It seems like it would be difficult to open and close semifrequently.

Hmm I just don't know if I would use a shelf like that. Unless I left it open all the time. It seems like it would be difficult to open and close semifrequently.
It's actually not as bad as I thought it might be since they pull out enough without needing the full space behind the doors.

They close pretty well too because it's magnet latches, so you can just click them in.

It's funny because they were originally a still in box VHS shelf that I found at a garage sale awhile back, so I sort of figured I can probably make it into a Switch shelf because they're the same depth.

Thankfully, it does, lol. If it didn't, aw well, out $10. XD

I like that shelf a lot. I like being able to browse my games, but don't have a strong interest in displaying them. I don't usually want to fork over the extra money to get shelves with doors, etc either, so that's pretty cool.

I like that shelf a lot. I like being able to browse my games, but don't have a strong interest in displaying them. I don't usually want to fork over the extra money to get shelves with doors, etc either, so that's pretty cool.
Yeah, it seems like VHS shelves were made for Switch games, which worked out in my favor. :D

But the throwback shelf doors are neat indeed.

Happy New Years! My spending this year totaled over 5 figures just between BBY and GameStop. I would post pictures of my collection but some CAG members will get upset over duplicates.
Not sure who here would get upset over what you choose to collect. I'm not into CE's at all... but I still enjoy seeing what other people are into and have a passion for.

Dead End Aegis: Gaiden by JAST now available for free on Steam (SFW). Note this game doesn't have any adult content.

Also a NSFW Review for the main game (sequel) Dead End Aegis which will only be sold on JAST (this game has adult content).

Cover-art.png

Not sure who here would get upset over what you choose to collect. I'm not into CE's at all... but I still enjoy seeing what other people are into and have a passion for.
Thanks for the reply. People got
upset over owning multiple copies of an item. Needless to say I see these as investments. Here are my last set of photos(Legos not included)
[attachment=36550:Screenshot_20220103_173933.jpg]

haul photos of your (newly acquired) collection are enjoyed by nearly everyone on fan forums everywhere.

brag pics are universally frowned upon.

A fleet of rtx cards isn't remotely related to a jrpg collection.  This inability to discern that is probably why people received such posts as unsavory in the past/present.

I reject this premise.

Here's some collection updates!

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1478151813689864192

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1478152606505525249
are you going for complete sets of stuff or just picking up whatever you can get a deal on?

im mostly wondering what all the ds and 3ds stuff is because ive been trying to actively pick up all the stuff id be interested in before its out of reach

are you going for complete sets of stuff or just picking up whatever you can get a deal on?

im mostly wondering what all the ds and 3ds stuff is because ive been trying to actively pick up all the stuff id be interested in before its out of reach
Always deal first, then figure out the rest later. The DS stuff luckily was right when it was still going, so I got a lot of deals on those from clearances when those still exist at more than just a few places. K-Mart, Fry's, and some others were gold mines for clearance titles. XD

But yeah, many of those have been sitting in the collection for awhile now, so not something just picked up.

I was just starting my first part time jobs when DS stuff was going out so I didn't get too much sadly. That all the Kmarts near me were either converted to crappy sears grands or went out. The only stuff I managed to snag was blue dragon plus, glory of heracles and a dsi with 4 swords (I should have grabbed the pokemon black\white one instead) at the time of one of them going out of business. I actually bought them just in case as I ended up in the hospital for a while and Played them during my convalescence.

I was just starting my first part time jobs when DS stuff was going out so I didn't get too much sadly. That all the Kmarts near me were either converted to crappy sears grands or went out. The only stuff I managed to snag was blue dragon plus, glory of heracles and a dsi with 4 swords (I should have grabbed the pokemon black\white one instead) at the time of one of them going out of business. I actually bought them just in case as I ended up in the hospital for a while and Played them during my convalescence.
I miss those K-Mart clearance days. T____T

I found a Glory of Heracles in a walmart bargain bin about a year and a half ago for $5. Couldn't resist picking it up. It's sitting in one of my boxes of games to sell off, still sealed.

I'm old... when I had money to collect games (slowly at first) it was Summer of 92'... and NES stuff was still being rented but also every rental store had bins of games to sell. If I had to go anywhere out of town, I'd plot out every rental store in the area and would often buy a bulk of games (with nearly every game at least coming with it's original box). I got to be a pro at removing stickers and permanent marker without damaging the game cart. By time the DS came around, I had kids that were also starting to get into gaming (especially once the DS lite came out). But I did take advantage of KMart quite a few times... with the best being when they had Dragon Quest games on the cheap ($5 to $10). I got duplicates of both Monsters games... as well as several of the regular DS games. I did that NOT because any thought of value or collecting but just so my kids could play without messing with my saves. This worked out though as a great collectable as I played through IV and Monsters Joker 1... but then only some of Monsters Joker 2... and the rest of my copies have stayed sealed unless I didn't have a duplicate and my oldest son wanted to play one of them. So I think I have extras of V, VI, IX and maybe MJ2 sealed.

Well i just started Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on nsw after finishing the original PW game on 3ds (which was okay overall).

I've heard really positive things about GAA but I'm not sure if i can get through it. The text advances and a fixed, slow rate. There is no setting to adjust it and no button to display the whole dialogue line (original pw had this). Keep getting bored / impatient and putting it down after a few minutes. Maybe there's a mod to correct this if i rebuy the game on pc?

Former Vita exclusive Genkai Tokki: Seven Pirates has a Switch port announced for Japan. It's one of the ecchi compile heart games that has the seal mascot. 

https://www.compileheart.com/seven_pirates/switch/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEL5Fd-j8TM

IFI declined to bring the Vita original west so it's likely going to get picked up by some other publisher if at all. The main protagonist looks like a little girl in an adult pirate cosplay outfit so you can be sure it's going to get banned in several countries.

Former Vita exclusive Genkai Tokki: Seven Pirates has a Switch port announced for Japan. It's one of the ecchi compile heart games that has the seal mascot.

https://www.compileheart.com/seven_pirates/switch/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEL5Fd-j8TM

IFI declined to bring the Vita original west so it's likely going to get picked up by some other publisher if at all. The main protagonist looks like a little girl in an adult pirate cosplay outfit so you can be sure it's going to get banned in several countries.
It's not really the outfits, but the combination of the core gameplay and premise of the game that will make it difficult for places to pick it up. If anything, they'll probably have it out for Asia English release, since they've done the other Moero already so if you want the Switch English, can just get them from there.

Picked up children of the zodiarcs, vambrace and bug fables in the current sale since they all looked interesting. 

Started Steven Universe Unleash the Light.  You can tell it was a pc port that wasn't optimized well for the point and click stuff.  When there's multiple objects on screen it's very difficult to select a specific one and likewise the moving block and such puzzles would probably easier with touch controls/mouse than the weird set up they sorta carried over from attack the light on phones. 

Gameplay went back to attack the light turn based combat with paper mario like action commands from the previous more grandia/costume quest like one that also had platforming and such.

The main thing that bothers me is losing out on stevens shield bash from the previous entry since while weak you could use it for positioning and or knocking enemies to their deaths off cliffs and such. His shield throw isn't half bad though since it can target anywhere vs having an aoe field that's restrictive like Amethyst and Lapis. 

I recently just got Connie and Lion in the party since in this version they were playable whereas in the original those characters were not in the game on mac along with peridot who was also added in. Connie and Lion was made 2 characters into 1 party member whereas connie was a slightly better character by herself in save the light and lion wasn't playable in any of the previous entries.  Connie shoehorned in just randomly appears in the main dungeon for no particular reason and with no plot explanation of how she even got there.  As if they could portal in then there'd be no reason to be trying to find the keys and get further in manually. 

Lapis is mixed as her tidal wave costs too much but does relatively good damage to use while having a weird aoe set up of a straight line from wherever she stands at. But you can only slightly alter her positioning since the party keeps a formation. And you can only change positions once a turn outside of using an item to allow a second change. Her Ice shard is nifty. whenever a party member or lapis attacks a target  the ice shard shoots at it 1 time per shard for the entire turn as well.  It only does chip damage but for a low point cost to amass them it's worth it for longer encounters so long as you can avoid her being hit as they break if she's attacked. 

It's not really the outfits, but the combination of the core gameplay and premise of the game that will make it difficult for places to pick it up. If anything, they'll probably have it out for Asia English release, since they've done the other Moero already so if you want the Switch English, can just get them from there.
We'll see. Just because it gets an Asia release doesn't mean it'll come with English.

Well i just started Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on nsw after finishing the original PW game on 3ds (which was okay overall).

I've heard really positive things about GAA but I'm not sure if i can get through it. The text advances and a fixed, slow rate. There is no setting to adjust it and no button to display the whole dialogue line (original pw had this). Keep getting bored / impatient and putting it down after a few minutes. Maybe there's a mod to correct this if i rebuy the game on pc?
There is an option to enable text skip in the options. Then you can fill the entire screen with text with a button press. You still have to wait out any character animations, though. It would've been hard for me getting past the first chapter if I hadn't found that option.

New VN released from Shiravune Marshmallow All the Way Home by Marmalade. Some guy down on his luck finds himself taken in as a live in employee by a cafe and he hopes to turn his life around and also the cafe, which isn't doing well. Looks like a cute moege for sure. If Primal Hearts 1/2 by the same developer are anything to go by, it should be aight at the least. Still working on the others.

Johren (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Hello Lady Complete Edition has a release date of January 21st. I've been looking forward to this for quite a while. I'm assuming it will have a free 18+ patch on release. I'll link it as usual and say hey it's out when it comes out.

Steam

Currently playing through Primal Hearts 2 and and I fell asleep before the branches split, so that's something so far. Pretty average and I feel the first is better. Not bad, but could be better so far. Once I actually complete some routes I'll give a mini impressions review.

Thanks for the reply. People got
upset over owning multiple copies of an item. Needless to say I see these as investments. Here are my last set of photos(Legos not included)
attachicon.gif
Screenshot_20220103_173933.jpg
Ppl get upset over nothing. Post them on r/gamecollecting and see how much backlash you'll get :rofl:

Although i question the value of graphics cards as investments, to each their own i guess *shrug*

If you are "investing" in these, you really should grade them.

There is an option to enable text skip in the options. Then you can fill the entire screen with text with a button press. You still have to wait out any character animations, though. It would've been hard for me getting past the first chapter if I hadn't found that option.
Thanks for the post. I had checked the settings previously but I didn't realize that advancing the current window was described as "Text Skip." Really helps. So far the soundtrack is unexpectedly amazing and is really carrying the game.

Not sure if trolling or just ignorant. If you don't believe me look up some of the articles/videos about it.
Lemme guess, youre talking about the karl jobst video :rofl:

So you think a speedrunner and cart only collector has any idea what he's talking when it comes to the sealed and graded video game market? The facts he brought up already existed publicly for years, all he did was make a (much too long) video summarizing them :rofl:

Anyway, the poster that I quoted is using video games as "investments" and that is literally the only purpose of grading them. I honestly can't believe someone would sill think grading is a "scam" at this point :rofl:

And yes before you bring it up, all sales on heritage auctions are real and 99% of them are paid for, which is a much higher percentage of completed transactions than say ebay :rofl:

EDIT: should also mention that karl jobst made a *second* video about the supposed manipulation. however, before he released it, wata published their pop reports for NES, which rendered many of his points null and void. he decided not to re-edit the video addressing this and just released it as is, so it was pretty funny watching that idiot squirm :rofl:

Lemme guess, youre talking about the karl jobst video :rofl:

So you think a speedrunner and cart only collector has any idea what he's talking when it comes to the sealed and graded video game market? The facts he brought up already existed publicly for years, all he did was make a (much too long) video summarizing them :rofl:

Anyway, the poster that I quoted is using video games as "investments" and that is literally the only purpose of grading them. I honestly can't believe someone would sill think grading is a "scam" at this point :rofl:

And yes before you bring it up, all sales on heritage auctions are real and 99% of them are paid for, which is a much higher percentage of completed transactions than say ebay :rofl:

EDIT: should also mention that karl jobst made a *second* video about the supposed manipulation. however, before he released it, wata published their pop reports for NES, which rendered many of his points null and void. he decided not to re-edit the video addressing this and just released it as is, so it was pretty funny watching that idiot squirm :rofl:
Someone needs to compare the other markets for graded items compared to video games lol

Besides obvious troll being obvious, grading games is subjective, thus paying someone for their opinion on an "alternative asset class" item is obviously of low-value.  It's, at best, an anti-inflationary bet with your money, and at worst, a Ponzi scheme where you're hopefully not the bag holder.

Don't do it, kids.  Or do, I'm not your dad.  But unless you got a lot of bucks to flush, you're in for a bad time.  Also, this is CAG... Collecting sealed and graded games is a bit against the concept of being a cheap gamer, since they aren't cheap and they can't be played.

But hey, we live in a world where people are paying thousands of dollars for potted plants now and committing heists for clippings, so sure, spend five digits on some 9.X sealed NES cart.  Go nuts, you shining diamond.

On CAG, some emphasize “cheap,” some “gamer” and a few “ass.” Only Timmies believe the wolf when he says everything is legit, despite plenty of evidence saying otherwise.

I'll get it even though I have the lowest of expectations for the game. Likely a standard copy too.
I mean, if you've played the other games already, you know exactly what to expect.

Basically the same game, but different environment, everyone wearing different outfits. Story wise...what story? ;D

Heck yes, gonna cop dat Seven Pirates H limited edition. I wanted this game back when it first came out on the Vita. Much thanks to Play-Asia and EastAsiaSoft!

Regarding physical editions for this series, hasn't it been the case before that once Play-Asia did a version (for the Asia English version) and then there was a NA version was distributed by LRG later?

I'm definitely getting a copy of the game too, but will likely be standard.

Regarding physical editions for this series, hasn't it been the case before that once Play-Asia did a version (for the Asia English version) and then there was a NA version was distributed by LRG later?

I'm definitely getting a copy of the game too, but will likely be standard.
I think you're thinking of Moero Chronicle Hyper, which was published by Idea Factory for the NA release through LRG.

Play-Asia did a release for Moero Crystal H later, which only has a Asia English physical release for Switch.

I know, it can get a bit easy to confuse with the similar titles, lol.

videogamesplus had the limited Moero Crystal H (with the keychain too) that PlayAsia had, so it may be possible to get it from there too

I think you're thinking of Moero Chronicle Hyper, which was published by Idea Factory for the NA release through LRG.

Play-Asia did a release for Moero Crystal H later, which only has a Asia English physical release for Switch.

I know, it can get a bit easy to confuse with the similar titles, lol.
Yep. H, Hyper, Moe, Moero, Chronicle, Crystal etc. Thanks

Besides obvious troll being obvious, grading games is subjective, thus paying someone for their opinion on an "alternative asset class" item is obviously of low-value. It's, at best, an anti-inflationary bet with your money, and at worst, a Ponzi scheme where you're hopefully not the bag holder.

Don't do it, kids. Or do, I'm not your dad. But unless you got a lot of bucks to flush, you're in for a bad time. Also, this is CAG... Collecting sealed and graded games is a bit against the concept of being a cheap gamer, since they aren't cheap and they can't be played.

But hey, we live in a world where people are paying thousands of dollars for potted plants now and committing heists for clippings, so sure, spend five digits on some 9.X sealed NES cart. Go nuts, you shining diamond.
i thought this website was about buying games on clearance and flipping them to gamestonk for trade in credit :???:

instead you can send your sealed games to wata/vga and flip them for 10-100x the profit :rofl: also you wont get a weird look like you would at gamestonk when you try to trade in your sealed games

i'd also argue against your definition of "cheap". you're equating being cheap to poor, which absolutely isn't the case :rofl:

EDIT: actually your comment about the subjectivity of grading doesn't make any sense. you would send in your pokemon cards to PSA/BGS to increase the value, right? those grades are subjective as well, yet that's not stopping anyone :rofl: this is the exact same thing, just with a different product

bread's done
Back