Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, you're right, not everyone just all the people in the 5000+ page gamestonk thread and probably the majority of people in the walmart and target clearance threads
Weird, I thought we were in the JRPG thread. And it's GameStop, I don't see people trading GME on CAG.

Kids these days. Confusing so many things. I 'suppose its reddit culture leaking.

the-simpsons-enter.gif

Weird, I thought we were in the JRPG thread. And it's GameStop, I don't see people trading GME on CAG.

Kids these days. Confusing so many things. I 'suppose its reddit culture leaking.
i think any thread can devolve into any other thread if you try hard enough :rofl:

i dunno, r/gamecollecting seems to have a hard on for cart only and reproduction games and a wata hatred so maybe you're more alike to them than you think :rofl:

what's gamestop, never heard of such a thing :???: i only know of a gamestonk

Ppl get upset over nothing. Post them on r/gamecollecting and see how much backlash you'll get :rofl:

Although i question the value of graphics cards as investments, to each their own i guess *shrug*

If you are "investing" in these, you really should grade them.
Lemme guess, youre talking about the karl jobst video :rofl:

So you think a speedrunner and cart only collector has any idea what he's talking when it comes to the sealed and graded video game market? The facts he brought up already existed publicly for years, all he did was make a (much too long) video summarizing them :rofl:

Anyway, the poster that I quoted is using video games as "investments" and that is literally the only purpose of grading them. I honestly can't believe someone would sill think grading is a "scam" at this point :rofl:

And yes before you bring it up, all sales on heritage auctions are real and 99% of them are paid for, which is a much higher percentage of completed transactions than say ebay :rofl:

EDIT: should also mention that karl jobst made a *second* video about the supposed manipulation. however, before he released it, wata published their pop reports for NES, which rendered many of his points null and void. he decided not to re-edit the video addressing this and just released it as is, so it was pretty funny watching that idiot squirm :rofl:
i thought this website was about buying games on clearance and flipping them to gamestonk for trade in credit :???:

instead you can send your sealed games to wata/vga and flip them for 10-100x the profit :rofl: also you wont get a weird look like you would at gamestonk when you try to trade in your sealed games

i'd also argue against your definition of "cheap". you're equating being cheap to poor, which absolutely isn't the case :rofl:

EDIT: actually your comment about the subjectivity of grading doesn't make any sense. you would send in your pokemon cards to PSA/BGS to increase the value, right? those grades are subjective as well, yet that's not stopping anyone :rofl: this is the exact same thing, just with a different product
i think any thread can devolve into any other thread if you try hard enough :rofl:

i dunno, r/gamecollecting seems to have a hard on for cart only and reproduction games and a wata hatred so maybe you're more alike to them than you think :rofl:

what's gamestop, never heard of such a thing :???: i only know of a gameston
fuck-off.gif

what's gamestop, never heard of such a thing :???: i only know of a gamestonk
Are you 12 years old or just stupid? Japanese niche games thread, not vent your stupid crap thread.

I feel like maybe we need to ban this "  :rofl:  " smiley from the page.

With Cag, the mega threads are pretty much subcultures of their own with their own community of regular posters.  This thread is mostly just gamers that like Japanese Niche Games (some a little more "niche" than others) and we're more looking to help spread the word about good games we find and the occasional deals.   Few are buying and flipping games... and those that do mainly keep that stuff to themselves as it's pretty well frowned on in this thread.    The Walmart and Gamestop threads are about stores and they target more flippers.   Someone that is diehard about flipping would be wasting their time in this thread since like most of the posts aren't even about deals.

As far as grading games go... it's pretty useless for this group since we are opening and playing our games.

JAST USA released DeadΩAegis. It is a magical girl game for the more extreme. Likely pass for me especially with Hello Lady releasing soon enough.

JAST USA (NSFW)

Also don't exactly remember saying it, but around Christmas time White Album 2 was fan translated. I haven't played it or anything, but supposedly very high quality.

Translation Link

Wow this is a new one, I ordered the Shin Megami Tensei V Steelbook Edition from BestBuy and they sent me Hollow Knight instead. Guess we'll see how the Customer Chat goes.

Wow this is a new one, I ordered the Shin Megami Tensei V Steelbook Edition from BestBuy and they sent me Hollow Knight instead. Guess we'll see how the Customer Chat goes.
They weren't even remotely close on that one, lol. At least they should have sent you Nocturne or something. XD

Probably refund only since I had something similar happen 2 years ago. I ordered nier automata and they sent me 3 copies of the outer worlds.

VGP doesn't usually list the Play Exclusives at the same go-live time as Play-Asia, right- they usually come later? I guess if it's an open preorder for the standard edition it couldn't hurt to wait a bit.

Edit: It did go live at VGP, too but it seems to be cheaper from play-asia with economy shipping even with VGP's free shipping.

VGP doesn't usually list the Play Exclusives at the same go-live time as Play-Asia, right- they usually come later? I guess if it's an open preorder for the standard edition it couldn't hurt to wait a bit.

Edit: It did go live at VGP, too but it seems to be cheaper from play-asia with economy shipping even with VGP's free shipping.
I wonder why there was a price difference this time($94.99 CAD for the LE). Moero Crystal H LE with the same msrp was only $84.99 CAD last time which made it a little cheaper than Play-Asia so I bought from them. Not this time unfortunately.

Anyone know if Pocky & Rocky Reshrined is supposed to be getting a US statewide release?  Play-Asia recently put up the Japanese version at a very reasonable $32.99.

Anyone know if Pocky & Rocky Reshrined is supposed to be getting a US statewide release? Play-Asia recently put up the Japanese version at a very reasonable $32.99.
I suspect we might see it released by a company whose name rhymes with Nimited Sun Flames.

Anyone know if Pocky & Rocky Reshrined is supposed to be getting a US statewide release? Play-Asia recently put up the Japanese version at a very reasonable $32.99.
It's in english at least. importing it would be faster than waiting for a state side release

https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1481773620212862978

Death End Request 2 Switch for the European store. Available now. 60% less anime than that other game

I don't care what anyone says; these guys are the best in the business, as of late.

https://store.nisamerica.com/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-from-zero/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-from-zero-limited-edition-ps4

Give me the no-nonsense 'steelbook + soundtrack + extras' CE for $90-$100 any day of the week.

So fucking over these various $180 to $300 CEs from companies that try to gouge us jrpg fans. (I'm lookin at you, SquareEnix). Props to NISA.
Just got the email, so excited! And only $90 for all my favorite kinds of limited edition goodies?! Can't wait to add this to my collection!

EDIT: jerks are charging sales tax now, but I had over $13 in rewards credit so I got a nice discount. Today's been a good day.

Love the external box.  I'm not going to go as crazy for this one as I will for Azure (my favorite game), but definitely in for one.  Am in correct when I say it looks like the nsw and ps4 versions both have the same size steelbook and outer box?

Is the NISA store website being insanely slow for anyone else? Took me multiple tries to get logged in and actually pre-ordering is really lagging too.

Love the external box. I'm not going to go as crazy for this one as I will for Azure (my favorite game), but definitely in for one. Am in correct when I say it looks like the nsw and ps4 versions both have the same size steelbook and outer box?
The product image does make it look like they're the same size, but it could just be a placeholder image since I have the Switch versions of both the Cold Steel III and IV limited editions and the steelbooks are Switch case-sized. I pre-ordered the Switch version of Zero so hopefully I'm right and the steelbook is the right size.

The product image does make it look like they're the same size, but it could just be a placeholder image since I have the Switch versions of both the Cold Steel III and IV limited editions and the steelbooks are Switch case-sized. I pre-ordered the Switch version of Zero so hopefully I'm right and the steelbook is the right size.
Interesting, I didn't realize they made a nsw steelbook for IV. I think I'd actually prefer to get the ps4 steelbook (matching sen I-IV steelbooks) with the switch version of Zero. As this is ultimately a 12 year old psp game, I don't expect any performance problems on nsw. Put an order in for that version for now.

Edit: Disappointed only 10 tracks are on that "soundtrack" cd. Some absolute gems on the ost. III's LE cd had 20 tracks, 15 on IV's LE cd. Not loving this particular trend, as the ost is one of the highest points of quality in these games.

Interesting, I didn't realize they made a nsw steelbook for IV. I think I'd actually prefer to get the ps4 steelbook (matching sen I-IV steelbooks) with the switch version of Zero. As this is ultimately a 12 year old psp game, I don't expect any performance problems on nsw. Put an order in for that version for now.

Edit: Disappointed only 10 tracks are on that soundtrack cd. Some absolute gems on the ost.
Yep, yep!

s8uInLS.jpg

I also have the PS4 versions of Cold Steel I and II, so yeah the different steelbook sizes are sort of weird, but I prefer these kinds of games on Switch so I've been sticking with that console since they started releasing them there. As long as I have some kind of steelbook for each game, who cares what size they are. But, I would like the steelbook to match the original case size, so I hope the Switch Zero steelbook is appropriately sized.

Is it so much to ask that NISA puts out orders on standard editions the same time they do premium ones?

Like, I get it, the money's in plastic doohickeys, wall scrolls, and rust magnets, but what about us mere plebians who want to spend just $60 on a release?

Is it so much to ask that NISA puts out orders on standard editions the same time they do premium ones?

Like, I get it, the money's in plastic doohickeys, wall scrolls, and rust magnets, but what about us mere plebians who want to spend just $60 on a release?
… they’ve been up on Amazon for $50 for a few months now.

All this talk of Zero... I went ahead and preordered the standard switch version over at BB as I had a $5 rewards certificate to use.   So far this year that's my only purchase (assuming it releases this year).  I still have Trails to Azure preordered at Amazon (from back in August 2021).  I will wait on preordering the other trails games for now.  I prefer standard versions as I never look at the extras seriously more than once.

Not sure what else I might even buy this year.  DQ III-HD if that comes out, along with any other DQ games.  Breath of the Wild 2, for certain.    I can probably wait on everything else.   I looked at release lists... it might be actually quite easy for me to spend very little this year.

Crap I totally missed the email, is the switch version not a thing?

Edit: nvm, I hate their site sometimes

Got error when complete my order, I did get receipt emails from both NISA and Paypal. Order do show up my Purchase History, so who knows [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Got peridot in Steven demayo unleash the light. They sadly Changed her default attack from her tablet in the first second one. In that it functioned like watts attack from paper Mario where it bypassed enemies def stat, shields and such. Now she has a soup can gatling gun attack. It does terrible damage though so it's typically not worth using.

Yeah I did the same promo for Azure… not thinking of release dates and used the other for Zelda Skyward Sword as that was an immediate want.
From what I read in that thread you can cancel the preorder and reapply the discount to another order. But I wouldn't be willing to risk it myself and I am relatively happy for getting the game for 15 off. Just wish that they had the option to preorder this edition at the time as I would have possibly gone that route.

Just got the platinum for Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars and it's an aggressively...decent game. I hesitate to describe it as "mediocre" because that would imply that it's not worth playing, and I think it is worth playing if you enjoy the kind of gameplay found in the Senran series, like I do. The battle system is very Tamsoft, with knock-off Warriors/Musou-style gameplay and flashy combos, abilities, and ultimate attacks. Canceling attacks into dodges barely works, however, as the game insists that your character has nearly stopped moving before you can perform another action, so that really breaks up what's otherwise a satisfying loop. There's also this weird input lag, where you'll unleash a special move or open a menu, then if you want to quickly do something else, like use another move or swap characters, the game just doesn't respond right away, forcing you to hit the button again. It's issues like these that just give the enemy a free hit.

The story mode is short and extremely easy, with the usual Neptunia brand of fourth wall-breaking banter that manages to garner a laugh here and there. The lack of playable Candidates is just shameful, though. Hell, they don't even appear in the story, instead popping up in the Nin Chat menu option (featuring chibi versions of other characters from previous games that give items/quests and tell jokes) and essentially implying that they're not in the game because they're lost. That's sort of amusing, but the things they said just made me want to follow whatever they were doing more than the bland mess the story mode actually was. Neptunia spin-off games are rarely story-heavy, but this one's plot is so bare and bland that you may as well just skip the cutscenes, therefore rendering the lack of English voice acting fairly moot. Also, the Senran characters feel more like props than, well, characters, and I have a feeling that they weren't written by anyone who worked on their original games, since they're so lacking in personality that they may as well just not be in the story at all. Combine that with the shinobi transformations missing and all of the charm has just been sucked out of the Senran portion, most likely by everyone's favorite Content Police.

The game really opens up upon finishing the story and unlocking the Yomi Training, which is a series of three-stage battles with severe handicaps imposed upon the player, such as locking items or permanently poisoning your character. Basically, the story mode was the tutorial for this brutal mode, requiring you to abandon simply button mashing your way through fights and actually learning how to dodge and block. It also expects you to have a full grasp on how to use and upgrade stat-enhancing gems, which you'll end up spending all your money on to make it through every Yomi stage. I nearly gave up shooting for the platinum due to the unforgiving nature of this mode, but I refused to let it beat me and pressed on. As I kept at it, I realized that, despite all my frustrations with the game's shortcomings, I was having a lot of fun. This mode is where the game's systems really shine and I'm sad it's only nine stages long. Upon completion, you unlock the ultimate shuriken and kunai weapons for your characters, which pretty much one-shot everything. Unfortunately, since there's nothing left to do in the main game and there's no New Game+, these amazing weapons will just go to waste.

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10, simply for the interesting battle system and the Yomi Training. There are only ten characters, but each plays fairly uniquely, and while the story mode and sidequests (which are your typical "kill x enemy" times a million) are a bit tired, the postgame content is engaging and challenging. I recommend it to fans of Neptunia and/or Senran Kagura, but if you fall into neither of these categories, you may not get much out of it. My apologies for the long review, but nearly no one is talking about this game and I just wanted to say my piece

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to praying to the Oppai Gods that Senran Kagura 7even still exists and will release someday in all its uncut glory...I can dream, can't I?!

Just finished building new shelf, so I could dedicate more space to the Switch. Success!

https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1483246073518776326

bread's done
Back