Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
since the cert is good till the 26th you can always just wait to use it later.
I think that's the wise decision...

I went ahead and preordered Record of Lodoss War for switch... ended up $31.23 after shipping and tax. I could have opted to forgo the $3.99 on shipping and chose store pickup but my nearest store would be nearly 4 gallons of gas and about 1hr40 round trip in the car. So I saved a lot opting for shipping.

On a side note, the resell value on the import versions are good on ebay. Not that I'm buying it to resell but it's nice to know. I was seriously thinking Scott Pilgrim but ebay says I would be wasting the cert as it seems pretty easy to lock one in at $30 with shipping included.

Does it feel as aggressively generic as the Lodoss War anime?
The game doesn't revolutionize the genre in any way but does offer its own twists on the genre with the switching of elements and the bow mechanics. The trailers do a good job of representing the games audio and visual designs. Kind of hard for me to compare it to the anime. I loved the OVA but thought the series was only ok. As far as the story goes it follows the OVA series.

40% OFF select video games with target circle plus 5% off with red card. 

Notable titles it applies to

13 sentinels aegis rim switch

atelier sophie 2 switch

metroid dread

pokemon lets go pikachu

pokemon lets go eevee

pokemon diamond

pokemon pearl

pokemon arceus

pokemon diamond and pearl dual pack (makes it around 55$)

monster hunter rise

the great ace attorney chronicles

monark

smt5

persona 5 strikers

atelier sophie 2 switch
metroid dread
pokemon lets go pikachu
pokemon lets go eevee
pokemon diamond
pokemon pearl
pokemon arceus
monster hunter rise
monark
smt5
persona 5 strikers
Thanks for the heads up. I picked up Sophie 2. Surprised that one is switch discount only, since some of them are both systems.
I also see the discount applying to Mary Skelter Finale; not sure if that one is worth getting. Edit: never mind MSF is sold out for both systems. Sorry.

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up Sophie 2. Surprised that one is switch discount only, since some of them are both systems.
I also see the discount applying to Mary Skelter Finale; not sure if that one is worth getting. Edit: never mind MSF is sold out for both systems. Sorry.
Depending. Mary skelter finale was just on sale for 19.99 on amazon and target a little while ago. so even if it was in stock it would depend on what the current price is.

As for why it applies to certain platforms and not others well it's not supposed to apply at all but targets keyboard monkeys take a while to fix those errors so shhhhhhh.

I've done quite a few trade ins with estarland over the past year. They're not perfect but I like them overall. If you look at the right items to trade in/buy, you can end up getting a good value. Some used games are 40% overpriced and their offers are 40% too low. But if you take time and look around the site you can find good trade in values and prices.

Pros:
- Free shipping on trade in items and used games
- Very wide range of games you can trade in from many older consoles and even different regions.
- Some decent trade in values, especially on items with a "Bonus"
- Clearly states if the game is complete or not
- I've never received unacceptable condition used games (although some have been poorer than I would like)

Cons:
- In general, pre-owned games are usually higher than eBay prices. I usually check a few times a week to see if there is new product with old prices so I feel like I can get a deal.
- Picky on condition. Someone else mentioned, yes, they will ding you on condition for trade ins, and often it seems debatable. It's even dumber that the cost deductions don't go the next buyer (it's not like they can buy a poor condition complete game for cheaper, there is just one price for all conditioned games)
- Customer service sucks. They often never send me a shipping label, and even after emailing them I sometimes never receive. You are at their will with returns, as they only accept non-working games. If something is on worse condition than you expected, they may or may not let you or charge a restocking fee.
- Never ever ever ever any promos. Only "boosts" on certain games to trade in, but never a coupon, sale, B2G1, or extra 10% on trades or anything like that.

Surprised most would support even though they sneakily change trade in values or deduct if they feel like it not to mention,their tech staff are incompetent at times in doing trades,claming something doesn't work when reality it does.

Customer service also needs a huge overhaul as it feels more of a burden at times to them than in wanting to put any effort into situations customers are facing.

More times,your better off just trading into GameStop or elsewhere as they just aren't worth it. Trust me on that

atelier sophie 2 switch

metroid dread

pokemon lets go pikachu

pokemon lets go eevee

pokemon diamond

pokemon pearl

pokemon arceus

monster hunter rise

monark

smt5

persona 5 strikers
I didn't get this offer. :whistle2:(

Nothing for me, though I did get the last 40% off coupon in September. Still have my pre-order of the special edition of Horizon Forbidden West on backorder with them that I used the coupon on. Thankfully, I got it from Gamestop the other day. Kind of glad I didn't get the 40% off this time so I don't set myself up for a future disappointment.

OOL on the target promo but there was nothing I really wanted, 40% off on Capcom Fighting Collection for PS4 pre-order would have been cool. DMC 1-4 collection is $16~ on PSN, I'm thinking of biting on that only for DMC4 (which I think was cheaper recently but I dallied too long and missed it). 

You know how you kind of want something after it's gone? I slightly feel this way about Neptunia X Senran Kagura CE on PS4 but all the extras looked more like Neptunia (which I dislike) than they did SK so I'm not really grieving. I still don't know which series the game is more like. 

and that is where backlog babies come from.

Target-sale-2.jpg
[

My Target damage:

The Ascent Cyber Edition PS5

Maglam Lord PS4

Lost Judgement PS5

13 Sentinels Switch

$121.84 with tax

I like this deal better than the 3 for 2.

Just mentioning but the new mech strategy game Relayer launches May 20th in the west. I don't know if this will be good, but I'm mentioning since it's a normal priced. It's only from VGP for a NA ESRB rated release. $79.99 CAD for either version.

Gematsu

VGP

Got my Yakuza Like a Dragon order in the mail and didn't even realize the physical copies were still the Day Ichi Steelbook versions, so that was a nice surprise. The Best Buy exclusive steelbook has a little scratch on the spine and the Ichi one has a small indent on the edge, but other than that, the bubble mailer damage was minimum. Looking forward to playing this once my husband finishes Horizon Forbidden West and I can have the TV back...to first do a third playthrough of Xenoblade 2 and then maybe get to Yakuza. Needless to say, I'm flipping out in anticipation for Xenoblade 3. The Xenoblade games are so unique in the industry and even when their stories aren't perfect (Xenoblade X had a boring story but fantastic side quests), the exploration and gameplay are exhilarating. I might replay X and 1 before 3 comes out, though my Wii U crashes every time I try to redownload the X data packs, so I'll have to suffer through longer load times.

Please please please just port Xenoblade X to Switch already!!!!!!

Just mentioning but the new mech strategy game Relayer launches May 20th in the west. I don't know if this will be good, but I'm mentioning since it's a normal priced. It's only from VGP for a NA ESRB rated release. $79.99 CAD for either version.

Gematsu

VGP
I'm hoping this starts to show up at other retailers since Red Art Games other ESRB relese, Record of Lodoss War Deedlit, did eventually show up at other retailers like Best Buy and Target after first being exclusive to VGP for a few months.

I'm hoping this starts to show up at other retailers since Red Art Games other ESRB relese, Record of Lodoss War Deedlit, did eventually show up at other retailers like Best Buy and Target after first being exclusive to VGP for a few months.
VGP specified in their tweet that it wasn't exclusive to their store. It should start popping up elsewhere soon.

Got my Yakuza Like a Dragon order in the mail and didn't even realize the physical copies were still the Day Ichi Steelbook versions, so that was a nice surprise. The Best Buy exclusive steelbook has a little scratch on the spine and the Ichi one has a small indent on the edge, but other than that, the bubble mailer damage was minimum. Looking forward to playing this once my husband finishes Horizon Forbidden West and I can have the TV back...to first do a third playthrough of Xenoblade 2 and then maybe get to Yakuza. Needless to say, I'm flipping out in anticipation for Xenoblade 3. The Xenoblade games are so unique in the industry and even when their stories aren't perfect (Xenoblade X had a boring story but fantastic side quests), the exploration and gameplay are exhilarating. I might replay X and 1 before 3 comes out, though my Wii U crashes every time I try to redownload the X data packs, so I'll have to suffer through longer load times.

Please please please just port Xenoblade X to Switch already!!!!!!
Amen, get me XCX on the Switch already.

For folks into the legend of heroes series, what platform are you picking up trails from zero on?

Debating which to get it on, switch or ps4 since we're getting zero and azure for sure, but feel like Sky will likely not be on PS4 if they ever decide to bring it to current gen or is it last Gen?

I'd also like to see XC:X available somewhere other than wii u.  But I'd also rather them wait for the next nsw hardware revision if it'll mean better performance.  I remember load times in the original being brutal.  Putting out really poor products from a technical perspective is the main thing that keeps me from enjoying the xenoblade games.

For folks into the legend of heroes series, what platform are you picking up trails from zero on?

Debating which to get it on, switch or ps4 since we're getting zero and azure for sure, but feel like Sky will likely not be on PS4 if they ever decide to bring it to current gen or is it last Gen?
I feel pretty confident in saying that the three Trails in the Sky games will not be released on ps4 for western audiences. xseed holds the publishing rights and that ship has sailed at this point.

Personally I preordered the Zero LE on nsw. I don't expect it to have any performance issues (except maybe with turbo mode) and want to play it on my portable oled. I also have the pc geofront version if I want to revisit that.

I preordered both azure and zero last year but I don't recall the platform offhand. I think I got them for switch possibly. But it might have been the only preorder option at the time.

From what I've heard, Monolith Soft approached Nintendo about doing a Xenoblade X port, but Nintendo turned it down due to them fearing it wouldn't be profitable. Xenoblade 1, however, was given the go ahead for a remake considering its connections to 2 and the fact that it was on older hardware, so it was due a revisit. I'm not sure how true that all is, but I understand Nintendo's decision from a business standpoint. However, Xenoblade X and Zelda Wind Waker/Twilight Princess are really the only noteworthy titles left on the Wii U (Star Fox Zero could also use a rerelease, if not to just fix those awful controls), so I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually got them on Switch or whatever the Switch 2 ends up being. I feel these 3 games are honestly best played on the Wii U for the gamepad functionality (always having maps/inventory open is really helpful), but my Wii U isn't going to last forever and I really want these ports so more people can appreciate how amazing these games are, specifically X.

I'm getting the limited edition of Zero on Switch, since I greatly prefer really text heavy RPGs on that platform. Like gospelman said, I highly doubt the Crossbell games are going to melt the system or anything, and I also have an OLED, so they'll look great on there.

These games are pretty old now, and I know are remade somewhat, so I think you can go with whatever. I prefer the PS4, as I have most of them on PS consoles, and I like the controller more.

First two Cold Steel games I have on Vita (hopefully someday the switch versions will get localized)... everything newer I'm buying on Switch. But that's become my primary gaming platform... so an pretty easy decision. The games so far have run perfectly fine on the switch.

It's funny, at one point Falcom didn't seem like they were going to support the switch much at all... so glad they figured out that's where a big part of the market is for their games.

10$ off a 20$+ order for Amazon when you use the delivery to locker pickup option with the promo code 10OFFPICKUP. might be a targeted offer

Might just end up using mine to preorder Live a Live for $40

Edit: actually no, I think I'll use mine to grab the Razer Kishi for $30 with today's deal

Thanks for the heads up on these shadowy.

Today at BBY I picked up Elden Ring steelbook + MHW Iceborne mini steelbook for $1.50 total after certificate.  They also brought out my preordered Rune Factory 5 Earthmate Ed., but later said they couldn't let me pick up until tomorrow.

For the amazon -10, I grabbed a $14 256gb micro sd card to max out the storage of a n3dsxl I recently gave the cfw treatement.

bread's done
Back